Thread: Leaderboards are not a fair competition

Rhino Keeper

Leaderboards are not a fair competition

The quest for leaderboard points are a form of *****ing.

I don't have issue with this mechanic in world events where ALL people benefit from having it (because Community prizes), but in leaderboards is 1 vs 1 , if you are "LUCKY" and breed the common dragon in the first day, you can have a significant advantage by doing the quest.

This places you in the second milestone (where you get the first point decoration) early so you get more points (from quest then the decoration)

Then you can get to the 3rd decoration faster and get much more points that some people that must craft the dragon.

My effort is usseless because some on S8 decide who get the common dragon in the first try and who dont get it until it have to craft it.

Fashion Designer
    It's not "*****ing" because every player has the option to buy the pieces needed to craft the dragon.

Sure, the game has become terribly unfair and a huge bummer to those who can't afford the luxury of dropping hundreds of dollars on a mobile phone game each month, but those who can afford it are not *****ing. That's not a nice thing to accuse them of.

In fact, the continued financial support from the paying players is what makes it possible for the game to be updated and maintained, for new dragons to be created and introduced, and makes it so thousands of people can play for free. S8 is a business with employees who need paychecks, they aren't making games out of the goodness of their own hearts. Have they become over the top and unbalanced, with way too much pay-for-play content? Yes. But, that isn't the fault of the paying players. The blame sits squarely on S8's shoulders (and, from what I have read, is the result of gross mismanagement and $20 million bonuses for the CEO when the company could not afford to continue paying out that benefit).

I appreciate the paying players because that means I can play for free. I used to spend a little money, $5-$10 every month or two, but stopped when the game changed format to pay-to-finish every event.

Rent or dragons? Ramen noodles and one new dragon or healthy meals this week? Pay off the vet bill or finish a couple events? I'm paying rent, eating well, and taking great care of my cats. S8 can overcharge themselves right out of business and we'll all be just fine- and have hundreds of dragons bred or won for free, through regular gameplay, to admire.

Quote Originally Posted by CranberryMil View Post
    The quest for leaderboard points are a form of *****ing.

I don't have issue with this mechanic in world events where ALL people benefit from having it (because Community prizes), but in leaderboards is 1 vs 1 , if you are "LUCKY" and breed the common dragon in the first day, you can have a significant advantage by doing the quest.

This places you in the second milestone (where you get the first point decoration) early so you get more points (from quest then the decoration)

Then you can get to the 3rd decoration faster and get much more points that some people that must craft the dragon.

My effort is usseless because some on S8 decide who get the common dragon in the first try and who dont get it until it have to craft it.
    So what you are saying is that I am *****ing just because I am lucky enough to get the dragon needed for the leaderboard event two minutes after the event starts on my first try?

Banned
    I always felt Leaderboards were unfair and should not even be an event. The breeding of a dragon for it shouldn't be in it but it's not unfair if a person breeds it on the first try - that's not *****ing in my book, it was a matter of luck, which is the propose of breeding in this game. I do applaud some of the efforts Storm8 has done with closing some of the *****ing loopholes for this game such as disabling the ability to get points from the Arctic Isles or playing previous versions to get around that. Over time, I stopped even trying to get the prize dragon and left it to luck because of the whales who drop a bunch of money to get pixels. I feel that folks willing to drop money for this aren't really *****ing any other player but themselves because the prize dragon can be bought for 1400 gold most of the time and they drop at least triple the amount just to win so sorry for them. Most of the time the prize dragon isn't good in tournaments - at least that's why I collect dragons and sold off most of my ineffective ones. Dragons aren't on my island just to look good.
    In closing, don't go crazy trying to get these Leaderboard prize dragons. As we've seen from this game, they're always re-released in either the Tales as a token dragon or eventually they get released into the codex - that's how I got the Mexican Dragon when I was *****ed out of it in January by a sniper at the end.

Fashion Designer
    Be careful with what you are applying the label "*****ing" to. Using the Arctic Isles wasn't *****ing. If someone makes a last minute move (which is very, very common) and knocks you out of your spot, that is not *****ing, either. Both are/were allowed by S8 as part of the event and are/were absolutely legitimate, legal gameplay.

Using hacking programs to add gold and points to your game is *****ing. Having a bot run your game is *****ing.

The people who signed into the LB on their Android device in order to get put in an Android player group, and then played the rest of the LB on their iOS device so they could rack up event points from the Arctic Isles were *****ing. That's even stretching the term a bit- that situation was more a case of players exploiting a existing loophole in the game, rather than a case of out-and-out *****ing. *****ing is a very strong word. Either term, I was very pleased when S8 fixed that loophole, even though as an iPad-only player, I am now unable to reach the higher milestones. The point is: the many, many iOS-only players were not *****ing, so it is both unfair and inaccurate to throw a blanket statement about how using the Arctic was "*****ing."
    Last edited by FireballFarm; 10-28-18 at 11:52 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FireballFarm View Post
    Be careful with what you are applying the label "*****ing" to. Using the Arctic Isles wasn't *****ing. If someone makes a last minute move (which is very, very common) and knocks you out of your spot, that is not *****ing, either. Both are/were allowed by S8 as part of the event and are/were absolutely legitimate, legal gameplay.

Using hacking programs to add gold and points to your game is *****ing. Having a bot run your game is *****ing.

The people who signed into the LB on their Android device in order to get put in an Android player group, and then played the rest of the LB on their iOS device so they could rack up event points from the Arctic Isles were *****ing. That's even stretching the term a bit- that situation was more a case of players exploiting a existing loophole in the game, rather than a case of out-and-out *****ing. *****ing is a very strong word. Either term, I was very pleased when S8 fixed that loophole, even though as an iPad-only player, I am now unable to reach the higher milestones. The point is: the many, many iOS-only players were not *****ing, so it is both unfair and inaccurate to throw a blanket statement about how using the Arctic was "*****ing."
    The *****ing by Arctic Isles that you mentioned was exactly what I was talking about and, yes, quite a bit of iOS players used that loophole. Every leaderboard I was in I checked other players to see what device they were using and in every group I was in three of the top 5 were iOS users in my Android group. It got to a point where I started reporting those players. No, not all iOS users *****ed but some did. As far as sniping goes, no, that's not *****ing but it is crummy.

I don't get why people are so bent on this whole paying is *****ing thing. On top of that Leaderboards have always had a breeding luck factor as you get different points for Super\Ultra\Rares. If you feel like breeding luck *****s you out of something in this game, then you are playing the wrong game. This game has always been about luck... and paying money to get ahead. There are plenty of games out there you could choose from where they've implemented better balance between the paid and unpaid experience.

Frankly, if you're not exchanging real money for gold, then S8 doesn't really care if you are playing or not. You do not add anything to their bottom line.

The Honorable Panda
    Thank you for your feedback on the Leaderboard events. Please leave any additional feedback on the current Leaderboard thread.

To report players of *****ing on any events, please submit a request to support .

See support link in my signature.
    Need me? Send Me A Private Message

Note: Due to some personal matters, I will not be on over the weekend.

Contact Storm8 by filling out this form: support.storm8.
    How to submit Support Request