Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food!

Food!

Hello fellow keepers. I can?t seem to stockpile more than 85k food at any given time. I?d like to be able to feed a dragon for any event to level 10 someday. What are your food growing strategies? I mostly plant scalypears as I work full time and have children so I don?t get much dedicated time to actually farm. Thanks for your help.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine_day917 View Post
    Hello fellow keepers. I can?t seem to stockpile more than 85k food at any given time. I?d like to be able to feed a dragon for any event to level 10 someday. What are your food growing strategies? I mostly plant scalypears as I work full time and have children so I don?t get much dedicated time to actually farm. Thanks for your help.
    Scaleypears = 700 apples every 20 hours
    Diamond dates = 800 apples every 5 hours

Plant diamond dates not scaleypears to grow more food faster. Plant in the am and then in the pm if you don’t have time to play during the day. Plant upgrades if you are sitting on the couch watching tv for any short periods of time.

Scaleypears are really only good for world events to keep the farms full without paying a lot of attention.

Rhino Keeper
    I agree - plant 5 hour diamondates. Even if you take 20 hours to harvest them, it’s still more food than scalypears. Also - do you mine? Mining can give good food.

Nightclub Owner
    My routine is to usually plant Diamondates when I've got real life to deal with but when I'm home and have the free time, I switch to Rushrooms. This especially works well when a tournament is active since I'm already logging in every hour to fight and I know I'll be able to farm regularly while logged in.

As mentioned above, Mining can give food; so if you've not fully expanding the mining islands make sure to leave the last spot unopened. Once you expand to the final spot, your Dynamite Mine will shut down and you'll lose the ability to gain food from that side of the mine which usually gives more food than the Bombing Mine. My Bombing Mine usually gives me 50 food with the occasional 500 per hit while my Dynamite Mine drops 1000 food with the 100 rarely popping up so for me the Dynamite wins out. Also, Bingo is a decent source of free food which is the sole purpose I participate in bingo at all. Every card you complete gives you 500 food and at the lower levels this is easily achieved.

Finally, when there are no events that need the Outpost, I always send my Magic dragon out on the Mainland Magic Show Quest which yields anywhere from 125-5000 food every six hours. It might not sound like much but very bit helps when it comes to food and if you make sure to gather food from every possible place, you'll get your stockpile up in no time. I don't have as much as some players, I usually hover between 250-500 thousand as my average. Between DTs and LBs it's hard to build anything beyond that but I always have enough that I can finish the DTs and have enough left over to slowly raise up some of my better fighters during the LBs.

Of course this is just works for me and my playing style, it may not be feasible for you. You'll have to find what combination of food gathering gives you the most food while still working with your schedule and other limitations. Good luck in your endeavors, hope the advice from the forum helps you on your way.

Fashion Designer
    Annira, I do exactly the same and also hover around 300,000 food. The most I've ever had is a bit over 500,000.

After a Tales, I usually have just shy 100,000 food leftover. That's with growing Rushrooms like crazy throughout the entire event (and DiamondDates at night). The tournaments help since logging in every hour to battle reminds me to replant the Rushrooms.

Since they've made nearly all of the events food-intensive, and since the food costs keep creeping up, I've been forced to cut back on event participation. It's either feed some dragons up to level 15 or finish the events. Both are not possible.

I'm pretty miserly with food and always have been. My highest level Champs are only level 13 (Shaman and Glasswing), and the vast majority of my dragons are not yet epic'd. I only epic the ones I adore, special battlers, or the worthless Tales dragons we are forced to feed in order to complete the event. Most of my dragons are stuck at level 7 or 8 and only got evolved to produce bombs. I want to work on breeding the Primes, but only have two level 15 dragons (Diamond and Dark Omen). So, that means I can't finish the events anymore. Feeding my Glasswing from 12 to 13 last week took over 100,000 food. That's just nuts. I'm too scared to look at the feeding charts to see how much the next two levels will take.

For the past few Tales, I've chosen to stop at the 2nd dragon even though I've had enough food to do the whole thing. I need to feed the dragons *I* want to feed, and level 14 and level 13 Tales dragons serve little to no purpose after their event is over.

The Tales dragons used to be worthy of feeding up past level 10 when they were 'normal' hybrids. We ended up with a decent fighter after that Tales was over, so feeding them up had a long term purpose. Old Tales dragons, like Adventure and Beast, are good fighters because their typing is simple (2 major colors), and because the rare ones, like Beast, fall into the unbreedable tier when battling. But, now, the Tales dragons are usually triple types that include one or more minor type, and/or they contain a couple of these dumb new sub-minor types. Ugh. The excessive typing makes them worthless for both breeding and battling-- too many potential offspring and too weak to be of any use.

I'll only finish a Tales now if I absolutely adore the looks of 3rd dragon or *really* want the Token dragon. Since it looks like LBs will be sucking now (no old milestone dragons or habitats), at least that will take off some of the food pressure.

Having to pick and choose which events to neglect, and which prize dragons to just let go, takes a lot of enjoyment out of the game. But, it's now a necessary evil.
    Last edited by FireballFarm; 09-19-18 at 02:50 PM.

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by FireballFarm View Post
    Annira, I do exactly the same and also hover around 300,000 food. The most I've ever had is a bit over 500,000.

After a Tales, I usually have just shy 100,000 food leftover. That's with growing Rushrooms like crazy throughout the entire event (and DiamondDates at night). The tournaments help since logging in every hour to battle reminds me to replant the Rushrooms.

Since they've made nearly all of the events food-intensive, and since the food costs keep creeping up, I've been forced to cut back on event participation. It's either feed some dragons up to level 15 or finish the events. Both are not possible.

I'm pretty miserly with food and always have been. My highest level Champs are only level 13 (Shaman and Glasswing), and the vast majority of my dragons are not yet epic'd. I only epic the ones I adore, special battlers, or the worthless Tales dragons we are forced to feed in order to complete the event. Most of my dragons are stuck at level 7 or 8 and only got evolved to produce bombs. I want to work on breeding the Primes, but only have two level 15 dragons (Diamond and Dark Omen). So, that means I can't finish the events anymore. Feeding my Glasswing from 12 to 13 last week took over 100,000 food. That's just nuts. I'm too scared to look at the feeding charts to see how much the next two levels will take.

For the past few Tales, I've chosen to stop at the 2nd dragon, even though I've had enough food to do the whole thing. Picking and choosing. Since it looks like LBs will be sucking now (no old milestone dragons or habitats), at least that will take off some of the pressure.

Having to pick and choose which events to neglect and which dragons to let go takes a lot of enjoyment put of the game. But, it's now a necessary evil.
    I know, right?! It's such a widespread, long-lasting issue that it's no longer even seen as an issue. Players now just think this is the way the game is and always has been which is sad. How long and how often do we have to beg for a new more lucrative crop before we finally get it? If they don't give us one soon or lower food requirements for events then we'll soon have a food crisis to match the housing crisis on our islands! How can anyone at the company really look at the numbers involved and honestly think that it's possible for the average player to complete all events and have enough food left over to feed even the bare minimum (those needed for primes) of dragons up to 15? It's not possible and it doesn't seem likely that events will be slowing down anytime soon so the only avenue for relief left is a new crop. Something so simple could make a world of difference in the long term playability of the game.

Rhino Keeper
    Most of my dragons will never get above level 5.

My advice is plant as recommended above, and then not feed until you have reached 300.000. Then between DTs get it back up to 300k again.

I would love to see some of my beautiful dragons as epic, even if they are not part of a DT or on the battle team

Fashion Designer
    The other thing is: when you get to 300,000 food (or whatever your goal is), and have your eye on some dragons you want to (finally!) feed up, wait for a Leaderboard event to do it. That way you get LB points for feeding, which can make a big difference in how far you get on the milestones. Two birds, one stone, and all that.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by FireballFarm View Post
    The other thing is: when you get to 300,000 food (or whatever your goal is), and have your eye on some dragons you want to (finally!) feed up, wait for a Leaderboard event to do it. That way you get LB points for feeding, which can make a big difference in how far you get on the milestones. Two birds, one stone, and all that.
    I have been skipping DTs or just completing Ch5 to get the apples & the 1st dragon to L7.
    Similiary for LB & WE before the recent change of giving high points producing objects as milestones I did not aim for the final dragon. Usually just completed half the milestones only.
    Being top 3 in Bingo Silver League gives
    4 (x10)Farm/Apples boost. Using these x10 boost
    really increases your apple stock.
    Mining & Questing for apples also helps.
    Usually plant Diamondates unless Bingo requires otherwise.

After doing all the above my apple stockpile has crept from 400k to 4M now. M=million.
    Last edited by retseho; 09-20-18 at 10:51 PM.

Rhino Keeper
    You guys are so right, I should just stop after the chap 7 dragon. It's ridiculous and a waste of food and Storm8 is just screwing us anyway by raising food amounts and manipulating free apple awards in mining and videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast