Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loot boxes are illegal in Belgium

Executive Chef

Loot boxes are illegal in Belgium

Lately, there is a loot box in Castle Story. You can buy it for 50 gems, and have a chance on drops, hopefully the Blue Phoenix.

But, loot boxes are regulated under gambling law in China, Japan, Australia, The Netherlands, Belgium, and the Isle of Man.

Is Storm8 aware of this? And is Storm8 going to do something about is?

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaboe View Post
    Lately, there is a loot box in Castle Story. You can buy it for 50 gems, and have a chance on drops, hopefully the Blue Phoenix.

But, loot boxes are regulated under gambling law in China, Japan, Australia, The Netherlands, Belgium, and the Isle of Man.

Is Storm8 aware of this? And is Storm8 going to do something about is?
    That is super interesting, as a citizen of the US I've never heard of this. Am I correct in thinking that by "loot box" you mean any purchase with unknown contents? If so, that makes sense to me since it's a gamble as to what you're actually purchasing.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnirasSweets View Post
    That is super interesting, as a citizen of the US I've never heard of this. Am I correct in thinking that by "loot box" you mean any purchase with unknown contents? If so, that makes sense to me since it's a gamble as to what you're actually purchasing.
    Yes, it's called gambling when you buy something that gives you the chance to something of value, but often loose. Like the current Blossom chest: for some it gives only 2-20 Blossom fans, while e few others recieve the much wanted Blossom Phoenix Egg.

No matter how many boxes you buy, you still only have a small chance to get the egg, and the fans are of little value, not worth the 50 gems (fans are worth +/- 14 gems each, which should lead to the conclusion that each chest should atleast drop 3-4 fans each).

Executive Chef
    But we're not spending real money. We're spending gems. I'm just throwing that out there. I'm not sure if I agree with my own statement that I just made. But I can see S8 using that argument.
    But me personally, I see it as a gamble, which could result in a loss of real money.
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Lol.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by riverly View Post
    But we're not spending real money. We're spending gems. I'm just throwing that out there. I'm not sure if I agree with my own statement that I just made. But I can see S8 using that argument.
    But me personally, I see it as a gamble, which could result in a loss of real money.
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Lol.
    If you but a tv with gift-cards, does that change anything regarding the sale? The guarantees? The service they are legaly required to give you? Or if it's on sale?

Here it doesn't. The same goes for gems. Yes, you can make approximately 1 gem a day by working for it (watching adds is a form of work imo), but the main source of gems is simply buying it wot real money. Just like gift-gards.

Fashion Designer
    Hmmmm.... that might be a problem in NY too. Either way you'd think S8 would know this after the dreaded Valentine's Day design contest.
    No Gems For Runes!

Nightclub Owner
    I was thinking along the lines of Riverly but more like: perhaps the rules are different for games? Or maybe they need only follow the laws of the state where their HQ is located? Goodness knows I've never actually sat down and read s8's 'terms of service' so who knows what they cover in there.

The other s8 games like Bakery and Restaurant have those boxes that you purchase for gems but each purchase is guaranteed a decoration. Whether the deco is worth those gems is a matter of personal opinion. I'm not sure if I would buy more chests if they applied the same rules in CS. I'd have to really think about whether or not I think the lanterns are worth 50 gems but I do know that I'd at least feel like they weren't so much of a money grab.

Fashion Designer
    I think it is gambling. Also, the game is rated for age 9+. Does anywhere allow 9 year olds to gamble legally?

Quote Originally Posted by idrispad View Post
    I think it is gambling. Also, the game is rated for age 9+. Does anywhere allow 9 year olds to gamble legally?
    I believe that you have to be 13 to play the game. This is not gambling because gems are not real money. Yes, you can buy them with real money, but you can also earn them.
    Paul__ ~ Moderator

Need forum help or have a game question? Click to send a private message
    Having trouble with your game? Click to contact Storm8 Support

It is not legally gambling. You spend real money to get gems. Gems are then spent on this 'chance' item. To be gambling, you would have to spend real money on a chance to win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast