Thread: How to keep track of dragons?

Rhino Keeper

Red face How to keep track of dragons?

Just wondering how others do it! I have been playing for quite awhile and have tried to create systems but they all become unwieldy and insufficient! I have over 500 dragons now - some in storage and some in the stable. I have trouble remembering which dragons I have and where they are. I get frustrated. Has anyone thought up a good way to keep track? It is hard to stay organized when new dragons are added. When a new one comes I usually have to shift dragons into different habitats to make room. Thanks for any help someone gives

Rhino Keeper
    This is a great question! I have been doing the same and it is a pain

Nightclub Owner
    Many of us have spreadsheets. I have the following column headers on mine:

Type - Level - Name - Colors - Status - Evolution Time - Location - Habitat

'Status' means if it's rare, super rare, ultra rare, etc. 'Location' means where on the board it is; I have my own designations such as 'Main/Middle' for where the game starts, 'Top Right' for the largest land area and so on.

I also have formulas at the end of the list to calculate how many of each level I have. Eggs that are in storage are marked as 00 level and their name is "Storage" so I have a count of those too.

Hope this helps
    Island Name: Amer Island

1883+ Unique Dragons Hatched
    409+ Unique Dragon Eggs in Storage

I'm a MESS when it comes to keeping track! I have 2 main games and my kids have several more. I've even traded dragons by mistake because I thought I had duplicates!! Luckily, they were re-breedable.
    Im in awe of those who are organized enough to keep spreadsheets!!! I use a neighbors site to keep track. Without that I'd be in serious trouble!!

Banned
    I keep a written account in a binder of all the dragons I have separated by color (like I have a page for red dragons, a page for diamond dragons, a page for metal dragons, etc.), breeding time and a section for different rarities. It helps me keep up with the almost 600 dragons I have. Plus I write down the dates I obtain them to make sure I don't go months without breeding a new dragon.

Banned
    I must be along in this aspect then. 950 different dragons displayed, no spreadsheet no nothing and I know exactly where each and every dragon is located

I don't use a spreadsheet but I do rename all of my dragons as to what type they are.
    If the name is longer than 8 characters I abbreviate it to something close.
    Ex. I hatch a Fire dragon and his automatic name is "Scorch", I change it to "Fire."

Also, when I get a duplicate dragon, I rename them all "Trade" so I know that they can be sent to trade for gems in the Trading Post.
    This can be a pain when they introduce non-tradeables such as Neo Bubble, so I always check with an older dragon before renaming them Trade.

Executive Chef
    Can't remember if I have a d ragon or not if my life depended on it, but I have very big concentration- and memory-problems, so that's ok for me. So I use a spreadsheet and system.

I only have 'normal' habitats, don't have multi-color habitats, and all habitats with the same colour are grouped. I always place the dragon in his highest rewarding habitat. E.g. - red-purple dragon always goes in a purple habitat. This way I know toughly where to look if I need to find him on the board.

Fashion Designer
    I have a dragon monitoring spreadsheet too.

Mine's headers:

dragon - rarity - breeding time - nickname - color type 1 - color type 2 - color type 3 - color type 4 - habitat

Reading posts as to how you guys monitor your dragons left me speechless. I'm impressed.

Rhino Keeper
    Thank you all SO much for such great responses! I can identify with all of you! Spreadsheets. I am not familiar with how to use them. Might try to learn. I play DS on an iPad Pro. What program would I use? I also have an older MacBook that I rarely use.

I tried once to make lists on my iPad (I started DS on an iPad 2). I was using Notes but swapping back and forth between notes and DS - I found I just couldn’t keep it up to date - it got inefficient so quickly! I have used index cards, colored pencils, a ring notebook, graph paper, hand drawn maps of the islands ... I’m ready to try ... something else ...

I’m sure if I got started on the right program or spreadsheet “app” I would be able to find something on YouTube that would help me learn it!