Thread: Laggy Gameplay - Anyone Else?

Rhino Keeper

Laggy Gameplay - Anyone Else?

Hey guys,

I used to play on my 64GB iPod 5th Gen until it got so bad that I literally cannot even boot the game without it crashing immediately upon entering my island. I started playing on my Android Neo which is brilliant for all the other apps I play.

For some reason, regardless of being able to play all these other apps with no problem, whenever I play DS the game scene is just a bloody mess. These days, there are about 5000 events going on at the same time, Bingo, sale pop-ups and they're all cluttered on the right-hand sidebar.

Does anyone else get the same sort of lag that I now experience, with a pretty decent device at that? I feel there is just WAY too much clutter and SO much activity going on at any given time in the game now, that I literally have to queue collecting my coins. I can legit collect from like, 20 habitats at once and then just pay attention to something else, all the while having my coins slowly collecting because the game is so slow .__.
    Last edited by kooky panda; 11-07-17 at 03:28 PM. Reason: removed third party game comments

The Honorable Panda
    When you first install the game on a device, if you transferred a high level account with a lot of Dragons, the device will need to redownload all the art and animation and cache it to make the game smoother.

It is recommend leaving the game open over a strong wifi connection for a few minutes after first download for high level accounts. This should help with lag.
    Need me? Send Me A Private Message

Note: Due to some personal matters, I will not be on over the weekend.

Contact Storm8 by filling out this form: support.storm8.
    How to submit Support Request

Fashion Designer
    One of my Android friends swears by constantly dumping/cleaning the cache of the DS app. She does it before and after every time she uses the app, and it has helped a lot with the crashing and lagging issues she was having. It's the cache of the DS app that needs dumped, not the cache of the whole device (although that certainly wouldn't hurt, either). From what I understand, DS accumulates a lot of junk during each play session which ties up your available RAM, which then leads to crashes and lag. This is my (technologically disinclined) synopsis of discussions I've read about preventing crashes and lag. Since I'm on iOS and don't have to do any cache dumping or RAM management, I have no idea the procedure for doing it on an Android device. Instructions are surely online somewhere, though.

I hope it can help! Lag sucks.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by kooky panda View Post
    When you first install the game on a device, if you transferred a high level account with a lot of Dragons, the device will need to redownload all the art and animation and cache it to make the game smoother.

It is recommend leaving the game open over a strong wifi connection for a few minutes after first download for high level accounts. This should help with lag.
    Thanks for the info, Kooky! Apologies about mentioning the other "third party" apps. I do tend to have a habit of doing that, as it's easier for me to relate and compare to other titles, particular ones I personally worked on. I will certainly refrain from mentioning them in the future now

Also, just to clarify, I have *not* recently transferred my game to another device. This was only done from iOS to Android a couple of years ago now, but I have definitely noticed a difference between the gameplay optimization with all the billions of events that occur at once, all the icons in the sidebar, etc.

I guess I'm just not sure why S8 continues to clutter the game so much with so many things being active at once. It's crazy how laggy it gets when I'm completing a simple task such as collecting my crops. If I *am* lucky enough to launch my DS in iOS, it's shocking to see how much smoother the gameplay is in my island, versus when using my much more powerful, more recent Android device.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by FireballFarm View Post
    One of my Android friends swears by constantly dumping/cleaning the cache of the DS app. She does it before and after every time she uses the app, and it has helped a lot with the crashing and lagging issues she was having. It's the cache of the DS app that needs dumped, not the cache of the whole device (although that certainly wouldn't hurt, either). From what I understand, DS accumulates a lot of junk during each play session which ties up your available RAM, which then leads to crashes and lag. This is my (technologically disinclined) synopsis of discussions I've read about preventing crashes and lag. Since I'm on iOS and don't have to do any cache dumping or RAM management, I have no idea the procedure for doing it on an Android device. Instructions are surely online somewhere, though.

I hope it can help! Lag sucks.
    Thanks for the details and info! Manually clearing the cache is one thing I did have to get used to doing when swapping to Android after mainly playing on iOS. I have plenty of experience with working on mobile devices, especially backend tasks, as that's necessary within the gaming industry, but regardless of clearing my cache, etc, it doesn't seem to make that big of a difference for DS.

It's also a pain because if you do end up clearing the entire cache and memory, you have to give it a lot of time to re-download all the assets. I don't tend to do it very often because it's insane how many assets need to be properly downloaded again when you're at Level 189 and every single dragon in your island has gone invisible xD Then you'll have to go from habitat to habitat and sit there and wait for the assets to refresh and appear. This is also the case with anything in Storage, the Market, etc.

I guess I just wish they didn't clutter the scene with SO many events, sales, icons, etc all at once xP