Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parent dragon not contributing a color in breeding,???

Fashion Designer

Parent dragon not contributing a color in breeding,???

Been playing a while, and always believed that in breeding each dragon continues at least one color. Several times lately I have bred with a dragon that had both blue and green included with another "parent" dragon that had neither blue or green, and ended up with an island dragon 🐉.

So, can one "parent" dragon contribute nothing color wise, or am I broken?

Thanks
    Last edited by kat8rose; 10-02-17 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Left out a word

Banned
    My internet connection is good, always have been. No other apps "crash" like S8 games...
    It's possible. A lot of times the elements of the other parent disappears like for example, Night and Atlantis can get you Island - the black element disappeared in that scenario.

Executive Chef
    or simply, because the black split into blue and purple, so night provide blue and atlantis provide the green, and you ended with an island
    there are lot of types who split :
    fairytale into yellow-green
    egypt into white-yellow
    metal into white-blue
    dino into blue-red
    mythic into yellow-black (or yellow-blue-purple)
    rainbow into yellow blue
    pink into white-red,..
    DS : Dragons de Pern (level 200) 826/882 dragons (168 still in storage)
    (sorry but i no longer accept or add neighbors for DS)
    FFS : Pern forest (level 200) 496/524 animals (120 still in storage)
    (stopping FFS on 2017/12/31, so don?t try to add me)
    FS2 : Campagne (level 73)

Fashion Designer
    Thanks, but there was no split. This last time I used a manticore, purple/white. No green or blue there. Mod, help me please and thank you.

Rhino Keeper
    Purple is a mix of blue and red, So there is blue in manticore.

Fashion Designer
    Thanks, completely forgot that! Been a long time since I bred magic on purpose.

Farm Supplier
    I've been getting Volt (blue, yellow) dragons from Mist (blue, yellow) x Quetzal (green, diamond).

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by lintupien View Post
    I've been getting Volt (blue, yellow) dragons from Mist (blue, yellow) x Quetzal (green, diamond).
    Diamond has 4 colors, red, blue, yellow, and green

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by kat8rose View Post
    Diamond has 4 colors, red, blue, yellow, and green
    No, that is incorrect. Diamond does not split, and a pure Diamond Dragon can be bred with *any* 4 different colors, not just the ones you listed. Purple does not ever split into red and blue during breeding (as claimed, above). It only contributes purple to the breeding pool.

Minor types (pink, black, tropic, dino, metal, etc.) can split. The pure purple dragon (Magic) only ever contributes purple to the breeding pool, so purple is not considered a minor type. Even when the parent is a purple hybrid (like Mistmoth or Genie), the purple never splits.
    Example: Genie X Forest can produce purple/yellow dragons, purple/greens, green/yellows, purple/green/yellows, and the pure Fairytale Dragon (from yellow in one parent, green in the other). No blues or reds to be found because purple never splits.

There is also a group called sub-minor types. Sub-minor types don't ever pass on to offspring. They can't. There are two groups of sub-minors: the old ones and the new ones. They are slightly different, but neither group can pass on it's sub-minor type.

The old sub-minor types act as nulls in the breeding den. The type has no effect, whatsoever, on breeding. Valentine, soccer, and pyramid are examples old sub-minor types.
    Leftheart and Rightheart (both are valentine/red/blue) behave as regular old red/blue hybrids in the den. They will never, ever pass on the valentine-type to offspring. They can't. The Passion Dragon (pure valentine-type) can't even be placed in the breeding den. He's a complete null when it comes to breeding.

The newer sub-minor types always split into some or all of their component types. Examples of new sub-minor types are: dark, flower, arcane, elemental, spooky, fey, etc. Most of the new monthly types are new sub-minors. Where the old sub-minor types were nulls in the den with no effect, the new sub-minors always split. Different rules, but same result: they can't pass on their sub-minor type.

Examples for clarity on breeding with a minor vs. sub-minor: the Fairytale Dragon can pass on the (minor) fairytale type or it splits and passes on green and/or yellow. Similarly, the pink/purple Origami Dragon can pass on (minor) pink to it's offspring if the pink doesn't split. But, the Werewolf Dragon will never, ever pass on the (sub-minor) spooky type. It can't. Also, look at how we have to breed the Werewolf Dragon. It's a spooky/purple hybrid, so common sense would say to combine a spooky-type dragon and a purple-type dragon, right? Nope. We have to combine black x purple becaue spooky cannot be passed on through the breeding den.
    Note: Dark Prime Chrono and The Dark One are (were?) oddballs. These two were introduced as one-offs during the Corrupted storyline, back before the new sub-minors and their breeding rules came into existence. Because of their dark/corrupted-type, they couldn't be placed in the breeding den. Will have to do some checking to see if that has changed as of Oct. 2018 and the re-introduction of the dark-type.

Back to Diamond Types ...

The diamond type, in general, behaves as a primary color. The pure diamond dragons (the Diamond Dragon and the Infinity Dragon) do have their own, unique behaviors as a parents, but they never split into other colors. Diamond X Infinity is a special combo because it can produce any pure-type dragon (like the Fire Dragon, Water Dragon, Fairytale Dragon, Metal Dragon, Cosmic Dragon, Air Dragon, Stone Dragon, Magic Dragon, etc.) But, that unique behavior is is *not* a split. Breeding the Diamond or Infinity Dragon with hybrids has more complex results- it all depends on the hybrid's type(s). It's too much, there are too many variables, to try and explain it all here. One thing never changes, though: the ultra rare diamond-type only has about a 1% chance of passing on to offspring. It almost always disappears and you get a non-diamond offspring.

The diamond-type in a diamond hybrid (like in the Crusader or Mercury Dragon) also does not ever split. The diamond-type in diamond hybrids behaves like a primary color.
    An example: Mercury X Air only has 13 outcomes: all 9 of the blue/yellow hybrid dragons, the 2 diamond/blues, the 1 diamond/yellow, and the pure Rainbow dragon (from blue in one parent, yellow in the other). The diamond-type acts just like a primary color- an ultra rare primary color, but a primary, nonetheless.

As for the original question: yes, it is possible for one parent to not contribute anything to the offspring.
    For example, when breeding Atlantis (green/blue) X Air (yellow), you can get any of the green/blue dragons as your outcome.
    (But, you can't get a Gemstone Dragon from this combo because the blue and the green are both on the same side. If you bred a Forest (green) X Mist (blue/yellow), for example, you could get a Gemstone Dragon because the blue and the green are now on opposite sides.)

Edited: I just re-read this and realized I shouldn't have used Peacock in the examples. I removed it from the 2 places it was mentioned.

Peacock (and a handful of other dragons) is special because it has a hidden color. How much more confusing can this breeding stuff get, amirite? Peacock may *look* like a pure purple dragon, but he actually has yellow as a hidden color. So, he's really a purple/yellow hybrid. You can get a Peacock by combining purple and yellow and, when using Peacock as a breeding parent, it contributes both purple and yellow to the breeding pool.

Right now, off the top of my head, the only other dragon with a hidden color I can think of is Black Swan.
    Black Swan looks like a pure pink, but has black as a hidden color.
    I'll compile a list of the other dragons with hidden colors and post it here sometime in the next day or two.

Edited: Here is a list of dragons that appear to be single-colored but actually have a hidden color(s).
    I may have missed a couple, and I only included the ones that matter for breeding purposes:

Last edited by FireballFarm; 10-17-18 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added info about sub-minor types because S8 likes to be confusing and difficult

Quote Originally Posted by FireballFarm View Post
    No, that is incorrect. Diamond does not split, and a pure Diamond Dragon can be bred with any 4 colors, not just the ones you listed. Purple does not ever split into red and blue during breeding (as claimed, above). It only contributes purple to the breeding pool.

Only minor types (pink, black, tropic, dino, metal, etc.) can split. Since the pure purple dragons (Magic or Peacock) only ever contribute purple to the breeding pool, purple it is not considered a minor type. Even when the parent is a purple hybrid (like Mistmoth or Genie), the purple never splits.
    An example: Genie X Forest can produce purple/yellow dragons, purple/greens, green/yellows, purple/green/yellows, and the pure Fairytale Dragon (from yellow in one parent, green in the other). No blues or reds to be found since purple never splits.

The pure diamond dragons (the Diamond and Infinity Dragon) do have their own, unique behaviors as a parents, but they never split into other colors. The diamond-type in a diamond hybrid (like in the Crusader or Mercury Dragon) also does not ever split. The diamond-type in diamond hybrids behaves like a primary color.
    An example: Mercury X Air only has 13 outcomes: all 9 of the blue/yellow hybrid dragons, the 2 diamond/blues, the 1 diamond/yellow, and the pure Rainbow dragon (from blue in one parent, yellow in the other). The diamond-type acts just like a primary color.
    Diamond X Infinity is a special combo because it can produce any pure-type dragon (Fire Dragon, Water Dragon, Fairytale Dragon, Metal Dragon, Cosmic Dragon, Air Dragon, Stone Dragon, Peacock Dragon, etc.) But, that unique behavior is is not a split. Breeding Diamond/Infinity with hybrids has more complex results- it all depends on the hybrid's type(s). It's too much, there are too many variables, to try and explain it all here. I highly recommend checking out and playing around with one of the breeding calculators to better understand how breeding works. The rules of parents' behavior are also listed, in detail, on other sites.

As for the original question: yes, it is possible for one parent to not contribute anything to the offspring.
    For example, when breeding Atlantis (green/blue) X Air (yellow), you can get any of the green/blue dragons as your outcome.
    (But, you can't get a Gemstone Dragon from this combo because the blue and the green are both on the same side. If you bred a Forest (green) X Mist (blue/yellow), for example, you could get a Gemstone Dragon because the blue and the green are now on opposite sides.)
    What a great explanation! I knew this stuff but still great for other players to know. I learnt so much about this game from players like yourself who are willing to explain and help others to understand this game better. Have a great day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast