View Poll Results: Do you think the goal timer should be shorter, longer, or remain the same?

Voters
630. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shorter (fewer than 15 days)

25 3.97%
  • Longer (more than 15 days)

455 72.22%
  • Remain The Same

150 23.81%
Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think the goal timer should be shorter, longer, or remain the same?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rhino Keeper

Do you think the goal timer should be shorter, longer, or remain the same?

I noticed for a while now that this seems to be a hot topic so I wanted to create a thread to get all of the feedback in one place.

Do you think the goal timer should be shorter, longer, or remain the same?

Feel free to explain why you feel the way you do.

For me, personally, I like it how it is. I like goals twice a month. I get them done in a week and that's typically only being able to make 1 or 2 ovens a day because they need so many parts. So I start out slow, and still finish within a week, side goals included. But, yes, I do have some free time. I understand others don't have as much free time as me.

It seems like there is this push to extend the goal timer lately. And with the holidays coming up and hoping for some awesome goals, that potentially means less for us if they change it. I don't want that! But I can see how to others, less goals would be preferred if it means they will be able to finish any at all.

If any moderator or admin could edit my post and add a poll at the top for this question, that would be preferred. I've made a poll before but I can't seem to figure out how to do it now. :P - This has been done! Thank you, pixiegamer.

EDIT Oct 11, 2017: ADDING INFORMATION FOR NEW PLAYERS!
    The current length of a goal is 15 days. Some time ago, unsure of any dates (years ago, maybe?), the goal timer used to be 30 days to complete a goal. So that's what a lot of people have been debating about for the past several months: to extend the goal timer back to 30 days or not. A lot of people say they would like that, and then other people say they are fine with the 15 day timer. Some people are saying the 15 day goal timer is enough for them to complete goals, however, they see their friends or neighbors struggling so they would rather have a longer goal timer.

The side goal, which to my knowledge is a new thing that has been appearing along the main goal for the last several updates. The way the side goal works is it has the same goal timer as the main goal but you will not see the side goal until you progress through the main goal to a certain point, usually sometime during the second oven. Some side goals have unlocked after the 2nd recipe from the 2nd oven unlocks. This past side goal unlocked when the second oven itself was unlocked. You will likely see a shorter timer for the side goal when you unlock it because it will end at the same time as the main goal. So if it takes you a few days to progress through the main goal and then to unlock the side goal, your side goal timer will be: [15 days MINUS the days it takes you to progress through and get to the side goal] (basically, whatever time is left on the goal becomes your side goal timer - hope this makes sense).
    Last edited by catprint; 10-11-17 at 07:26 PM.

Moderator (volunteer) pixiegamer's Avatar
    I'll get back to you on the poll - it is something I've been wanting to do myself, but I have to check with a CM first

Adding my two cents (not a ramble, nope nope) to this: I don't mind the 15-day timeline, necessarily, but I think it has a host of problems that need to be resolved. I'll expand on them later, but as a cursory overview:

1. The high number of parts
    2. The price of the furniture and decor we receive
    3. The timing/spacing between goals
    4. The comparatively low recipe times, servings, and profits
    5. (Lately) the increase in recycled content
    6. The side quests (not the quests themselves, but their timing and how they stress the already-short timeline)

The (eventual) conclusion I want to argue is that 15-day goals exacerbate the issues above, and I'd prefer to go back to 30-day goals, with a variation on the other updates we'd get that month. The following is a suggestion (again, to be added to later):

Week 1: 30-day goals
    Week 2: Side Quest for an LTO
    Week 3: "Regular" Update
    Week 4: Sale

I'll flesh this out when I get more time. Thank you for starting this thread; I think it's a much-needed discussion to have
    ~ Forum Moderator for Bakery Story and Restaurant Story ~

Bakery Story Quick Links: Game Guide | Master Box Guide | Bugs & Issues | Help Me I Have a Question
    Restaurant Story Quick Links: Game Guide | Master Box Guide | Bugs & Issues | Goal Prize Re-Locking Bug | Help Me I Have a Question
    Need Me? Send me a PM
    Having an issue with your game? Contact Storm8 Support
    Forum Rules: Check Here!
    ~ Gentle Reminder: Mods are players, just like you! I am not a Storm8 Employee ~

Quote Originally Posted by pixiegamer View Post
    I'll get back to you on the poll - it is something I've been wanting to do myself, but I have to check with a CM first

Adding my two cents (not a ramble, nope nope) to this: I don't mind the 15-day timeline, necessarily, but I think it has a host of problems that need to be resolved. I'll expand on them later, but as a cursory overview:

6. The side quests (not the quests themselves, but their timing and how they stress the already-short timeline)

The (eventual) conclusion I want to argue is that 15-day goals exacerbate the issues above, and I'd prefer to go back to 30-day goals, with a variation on the other updates we'd get that month. The following is a suggestion (again, to be added to later):

I'll flesh this out when I get more time. Thank you for starting this thread; I think it's a much-needed discussion to have
    I couldn't agree with you more on all of this!!! Everything you've said is spot on what I would like to see as well.

Farm Supplier

Agree 100% with this. I want the 30 day goals back! I am very severely ill and find it difficult to play as it is, so I don't want it made harder and the fun taken out of it. The goals as they are now are just stressing me out. I skipped the latest goal on RS to focus on the BS one because it's just too much together, and it felt a shame to me because I haven't missed doing a goal in the 3 years I've been playing. Got no choice but to miss out on them entirely now because the game is supposed to be a game, NOT A JOB!! It's really hard work getting all the parts; I like to build enough appliances that I can master the recipes in the month - which I used to be able to do when it was 30 days until the next one started. Now they just make me want to pull my hair out! It's to encourage players to spend their real money on gems to build the appliances quickly and/or skip through parts of the goal. It's not going to have that effect - players will miss goals rather than use their gems.

Rhino Keeper

I can generally complete the main and side goals within 10 days so am ok with the current 15-day timer. Am also fine with the (old) 30-day timer as well (particularly if we're not going to get new crates/ boxes, and regular updates in between goals like before). Agreed that if the six problems in pixiegamer's post were resolved it makes life easier for all players.

Love the suggestion - I miss the regular updates in particular. It seems that we are no longer having any, and being an old player I've already bought most "regular" items on offer. Even for sales - like the current Halloween sale - I have already got everything I want in the past so will likely not be getting anything.

Will also be great if we get old goal reruns, and first/ second prizes in boxes in between the new goals.

I would LOVE it if the LTO was a separate goal from the main one. I haven't been able to finish all goals and have to had to choose one or the other and having to spend the time starting the regular goal in order to unlock the side goal is not fun!!

Rhino Keeper
    I agree totally with Pixiegamer's post on p.1

I completely agree. It's a current goals are often on realistic. And I haven't gotten new decor in a long time. I can work the goal constantly and still not finish it. So I don't mind going back to 30 days

I like the 15 day goals, I also normally finish within a week main and side goals MAYBE a day or two longer but I always have what seems like forever left on the timer when I finish. I am currently a sahm so yes I have the time however even when I was working full time I would?ve been able to finish, it?s about how you manage your time. For example the 9 hour recipes how hard is it to put a batch of whatever it is to cook right before you leave for work and it would be done when you get out. Do the same thing before you go to bed. I do think the side goals should start when the regular goal starts or at the very least at the same time the second appliance is unlocked. The parts required are high, I find it more annoying waiting on people for 30 parts it doesn?t heavily affect whether or not I finish though. I usually start baking once I have even the first oven built, I personally feel like waiting until you have 4 or 5 built to start is a time waster bc you?re waiting on parts, all that time you could?ve been baking to slowly finish that recipe, and I only build max 5 appliances each usually it?s about 4. I get people have lives and jobs but it?s not Storm8 or any other game developers job to alter their games to fit people?s lives and schedules it?s up to people to choose to play games they have time for and maybe a game that has time sensitive goals and events just isn?t a good option.
    BS- No longer accepting neighbors

⭐We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams - Gene Wilder (Willy Wonka)⭐

Rhino Keeper
    I also enjoy the 15 day goals and always finish with time to spare (just a few days) but I have to side with other people and say that they should extend the goals. This is just to be fair and accommodate more players that might not be able to finish both the main goal and side goal in 15 days. Also, just because goals are 15 days doesn't necessarily mean that we're getting 2 per month because we're not. It just seems like it but it's really still only only 1 goal per month with less time to complete it.
    I used to build only 2 of each oven with no issues and still finish on time, but now that we're getting side goals I'm building 3 of each oven because I still like to save as many coins as possible. I am still able to finish with time to spare but I have the time to play and check often. If I had to work full-time, I can see how I would be frustrated having to build more ovens just to finish on time. I agree with pixiegamer that the cost of things, especially tables & chairs and ovens of late is just way too high. New players especially can't be building 5+ of each oven for every goal and that just isn't fair. Heck, I have 15 million coins and it still hurts!
    Also, as someone who buys gems, I would never spend money to complete goals... Which I believe many players are now having to do if they're close to finishing but are just short a few hours. I don't think this is right. I think gems should be for decor, ovens, and LTO's. So with all that in mind, I think 21 day goals are just more reasonable. There's many ways for S8 to make money (increasing sales, releasing LTOs, releasing new content, etc.) but decreasing the time available to complete goals shouldn't be one of them.

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast