Thread: Games using up too much space

Rhino Keeper

Games using up too much space

I am not a programmer so I don't know what can be done. Maybe it is just too many aspects of the game are going on at the same time and/or too many dragons are being released but my iPad's storage space is almost used up. The two biggest users of space are Storm8 games Dragon Story (2.2 GB) and Castle Story (1.5 GB). I already had to delete Fantasy Forest Story because of this issue and I am afraid I will have to decide between my other two games as to which to delete and no longer play. I have been playing both games for a long time and I understand the issue of releasing more land in the games which we are all craving.

I don't know what might help resolve this issue for those with limited space on their device. Does anybody have any other suggestions for any game modifications? Can't afford a new iPad with more storage at this time as an impaired driver wrecked my car so my money has to go towards repairs.

Fashion Designer
    Try deleting and then reinstalling the apps it should help it will take a while for some items to reappear but it will help with storage issues I just did this with DS good luck! And sorry to hear about your car.

The Honorable Panda
    Quote Originally Posted by [S8] Elsa View Post
    When you initially download the game, you download the base images, animations, sounds, etc. When you encounter new images through game progress, content updates, and visiting the images are cached so that you're not downloading an image every time you encounter it. It's for performance and efficiency. This is common for online apps that receive regular updates.

You can clear cache to delete the cache.
    You can also as Passera suggests, deleting and reinstalling the game.
    Need me? Send Me A Private Message

Note: Due to some personal matters, I will not be on over the weekend.

Contact Storm8 by filling out this form: support.storm8.
    How to submit Support Request

Fashion Designer
    Deleting and reinstalling doesn't work. As soon as you visit a high level neighbor, it jumps right back up to 2.1GB. If you don't visit a high level neighbor, it creeps up over a few days till it's back at 2.1GB.

I deleted Castle Story and Fantasy Story because they took up way too much space. After my photos and music, Dragon Story uses up the most space on my iPad. Most of my other games, combined, don't add up to 2 GB.
    The three S8 games together were almost taking up as much space as my photos (which is my largest space hog at a little over 7 GB). That's absurd.

I am still curious about what was in the last update. It was 212 MB. I still haven't done the update, but have gotten all the new content (events and dragons). So, what did it do for all that space/memory?
    One of my other games added an entirely new play mode and that update is on only 85 MB. Routine maintenance updates in all my other games are in the 30-100MB range.

The amount of space S8 games uses is abnormal. The animations are not so complex that they should take such an enormous amount of space. Plus, each body style has one looped animation, and there are what, maybe 8 or 9 body styles? That's not enough unique animation to explain the use of more than 2 GB. It makes me wonder what they are doing, especially since they've already been busted for illegally accessing players' contact lists. Or is it ad programs taking up all that space? I'm not buying the 'it's the animations' excuse.
    Last edited by FireballFarm; 08-27-17 at 01:16 PM.

Farm Supplier
    The images are probably not compressed as low as they could be, so that the game would look nice on bigger resolutions. I don't know how the sprites are stored in DS but there could be your answer to why the game is such a space hog. There has also been some talk previously about a possible memory leak within the game as well, but no one(?) has been able to prove it either way.

Executive Chef
    It is incredible to see DS taking up 68.1GB ★ my Facebook and games are in MB ★

Fashion Designer
    wow... 68GB .
    kudos to you for keeping the game.

mine is around 1.24GB at this moment, and the game has been occupying my phone memory so that i can't even update my apps, including that of DS, and whatsapp starts to crash all the time.

clearing data/ cache helps for my other S8 game, RS2 . memory occupied is lower after i clear all data to reload the game. but didn't really help with DS,
    as mentioned above by other posters, memory would just creep up again after playing for a while, loading back all the data of my islands, and that of the island i visited perhaps.

my phone is old and i have no intention to get a new one just yet. hope memory occupied can be lower , and perhpas let users choose in the setting to reduce the movement / resolution of game, so that even with large number of dragons, and land, memory occupied can be compressed for user with old phones, and slow internet connection... (not everyone runs on LTE mobile connection)

other huge issue: i suspect slow internet connection, long ping time would result in the game telling me i don't have internet connection. could this be reviewed?
    with demand such as DT, Bingo, it will be dificult not being able to play when i am out with no wifi connection.
    Last edited by hungryres; 08-28-17 at 12:07 AM.

Rhino Keeper
    I deleted Dragon Story and started this morning downloading it. It isn't even half downloaded and it is early evening. I will let you know how much space it used. I had no idea it would take this long.

Update: It finally finished downloading. I actually was using 2.3 GB for Dragon Story. I just checked and now it has 537 MB used storage. I will do this for Castle Story and see what happens. I will also check after playing a day and see what the storage is. This is really amazing. Hopefully things might work better for all my programs.

Update 2: I just deleted and reinstalled Castle Story which went from 1.5 GB storage used to only 126 MB. Wonder if this should be done on a regular basis or if there can be a "fix" using programming. I now have 3.5 GB of unused storage on my iPad instead of hardly any.

Update 3: Just checked my storage on 9/12 and Dragon Story is back up to 1.3 GB but Castle Story is only using 513 mb.
    Last edited by LocalNews; 09-13-17 at 02:33 PM.