PDA

View Full Version : Boost use in Leaderboard Events

06hunter
05-11-17, 05:33 PM
I would like to know what your opinions of the use of boosts in the Leaderboard Event are & should they be hidden from other players, like they are in the Bingo. Has anyone received unkind comments on their wall from players who feel that using a boost is *****ing?

Hartoled
05-11-17, 06:47 PM
One or two negative comments, but none recently.

Spotting a booster in Bingo is no problem. If the last digit of their score is anything but zero or five, they've boosted. I suppose one could obscure that by choosing tasks with even numbered rewards, but that would be really weird.

There is a cadre of almost politically active players who insist that those who play DS with no gold at all are morally superior. What are ya gonna do? Let them rail against the reality that S8 is a business.

Clark_Wayne
05-11-17, 07:39 PM
there is an option to block their future posts ;)
you tap on the cross like to delete and it show you the option to block their post

glenngenius
05-12-17, 06:19 PM
In my own opinion, I don't think using boosts in the leaderboard is *****ing. It's an advantage on getting the rewards, whether they are milestone prizes or the grand prize.

Just enjoy the game and don't let those players drag you down with their unkind comments. :)

Limequat
05-13-17, 07:10 AM
Only form of *****ing would be using a hack, imo. I don't understand why people think using a boost is unfair, as they're legitimately there for you to use to your advantage. Even if they got rid of the boosts in the leaderboard, people can still spend gold to speed things up on their island. They'll have half the amount of points they'd gain with a boost on, but they can still get ahead of other players.

I hear people saying that they think leaderboard would be more fun if they weren't placed in a group with big spenders. But if there's really a small gap between 2nd and 3rd place towards the end, the person in 3rd place is going to attempt to get ahead at the last minute.

Even if you got rid of the ability to use gold to speed things up and only allowed people to use one nest, one breeding den, and one evolution temple, the complaints will still be rolling in. "But it's not fair other people have more time to check the game, plant more food, got lucky with breeding more rares/super rares/ultra rares, etc."

So just ignore those people and play the game however you want.

Den8137259
05-13-17, 07:45 AM
★ the booster feature is a legit feature as intended by S8. But whether to use it or not is up to you, if you're willing to spend that Au to achieve a lead against others in LB.

★ S8 prolly intended it to "display" the booster status to create a state of anxiety amongst the players so others would be led to thinking that they would need that boost for themselves too. It's revenue generating for S8 (: ★

★ also as one said it previously, LB is a bidding event, highest bidder through boosting etc, gets the prize (: ★

★ for those who post unkind remarks, just let them know it is legit and you got the Au (: ★

06hunter
05-13-17, 04:09 PM
I would like to know what your opinions of the use of boosts in the Leaderboard Event are & should they be hidden from other players, like they are in the Bingo. Has anyone received unkind comments on their wall from players who feel that using a boost is *****ing?

Thank you all for your replies. As long as the game allows us to use boost for our advantage, I will continue to use them & block out all the unkind comments.

JustKay
05-15-17, 05:56 PM
Not boosting is almost not fully playing the game. There is a strategy to boosting for maximum points and clinching the win. If you don't do the careful planning and timing, well you're only really playing half the game. With the gifted gold and GPDs now, even those players who don't pay real money can still apply these advanced strategies. Players who insist on not spending gold, are far from superiors players.

delimiah
05-17-17, 12:32 AM
I think showing the boost is good. At least it gives me an indication if I should spend more gold to speed up/boost or just throw in the towel and save my gold for the next event.
Anyway with the onslaught of events that S8 is throwing at us, missing out some dragons is no big deal.

FieldsLikeB
05-17-17, 09:04 AM
Unkind comments?

I wanted Collosal Dragon even at the outrageous price so I ended up with two gold statues AND the obelisk because I'd bought them before seeing it was offered with a Dragon I really wanted. I blocked three players during the event. I obviously kept the lead all 11 days and played religiously so the players behind me had better chances at spin. But the comments on wall were down right mean. A neighbor of mine won second prize and didn't join on the meaness. I really appreciated that. It was a weird event I rarely have neighbors in my group and never more than one.

xenu8
05-18-17, 12:04 PM
I dont know if this has been brought up before but I am really upset. Is it normal for the amount of gold used to speed up to increase while you are speed breeding? Isnt that stealing? For instance, I had a 10x boost going for my eggs, I bought eggs & then used gold to speed up...first it only cost 2 gold to speed up, then 5 mins later...my game crashes...I go back in, now the price to speed up the same egg is 4 gold. So I change to a slower time egg which cost 2 gold, then 5 mins later, my games crashes again. i go back in and the price to speed up the egg is even more. Then I switch to the olympus egg which cost 300k btw, I speed it up for 2 gold...guess what, my games crashes again and now that egg cost more to speed up. How can they do that? It doesnt seem right to me, I am using my gold up but you keep raising the prices. How is that fair? i got pictures of this too. It should be illegal. This is how I won my leaderboard event, I did nothing wrong, I didn't hack anything. I used my boost and my gold fair & square yet they took more from me and by crashing my game in the process. Something is very wrong with this company.

Scangelina
05-18-17, 12:30 PM
Only form of *****ing would be using a hack, imo. I don't understand why people think using a boost is unfair, as they're legitimately there for you to use to your advantage. Even if they got rid of the boosts in the leaderboard, people can still spend gold to speed things up on their island. They'll have half the amount of points they'd gain with a boost on, but they can still get ahead of other players.

I hear people saying that they think leaderboard would be more fun if they weren't placed in a group with big spenders. But if there's really a small gap between 2nd and 3rd place towards the end, the person in 3rd place is going to attempt to get ahead at the last minute.

Even if you got rid of the ability to use gold to speed things up and only allowed people to use one nest, one breeding den, and one evolution temple, the complaints will still be rolling in. "But it's not fair other people have more time to check the game, plant more food, got lucky with breeding more rares/super rares/ultra rares, etc."

So just ignore those people and play the game however you want.
I totally agree with everything you said. People would still be able to speed breed, evolve, hatch. Also there's other things like people who have multiple dens, nests & temples that would probably just be the focus of being unfair. There will always be something to say it's unfair.

Personally, I really don't think I'm going to exhaust my gold anymore in the LB because this last one was a nail biter. It's never been that close for me. Literally in the last 10 seconds of the game, the top 3 of us were within 200-400 points of each other. We all had 2x boost active. I had been leading the whole time & suddenly was in 3rd😳We couldn't tell who won till the results popped up. We were within 43 points of each other(1st: 24,080, 2nd: 24,039 & 3rd: 24,037)& I luckily sped up my 2nd temple just in the nick of time to pull ahead. I can't believe I allowed myself to get that stressed out. I just don't want to have to compete like that again.

Good luck to those who will continue to play the LB as designed. To reiterate, I don't think the boost is unfair. I think I'm just going to stick to the milestones from now on tho.

Hartoled
05-18-17, 04:06 PM
I dont know if this has been brought up before but I am really upset. Is it normal for the amount of gold used to speed up to increase while you are speed breeding? Isnt that stealing? For instance, I had a 10x boost going for my eggs, I bought eggs & then used gold to speed up...first it only cost 2 gold to speed up, then 5 mins later...my game crashes...I go back in, now the price to speed up the same egg is 4 gold. So I change to a slower time egg which cost 2 gold, then 5 mins later, my games crashes again. i go back in and the price to speed up the egg is even more. Then I switch to the olympus egg which cost 300k btw, I speed it up for 2 gold...guess what, my games crashes again and now that egg cost more to speed up. How can they do that? It doesnt seem right to me, I am using my gold up but you keep raising the prices. How is that fair? i got pictures of this too. It should be illegal. This is how I won my leaderboard event, I did nothing wrong, I didn't hack anything. I used my boost and my gold fair & square yet they took more from me and by crashing my game in the process. Something is very wrong with this company.

What you are talking about, myself and others have mentioned in other threads. The game becomes very unstable when using a 10x boost, and many are almost guaranteed a crash. I've had well planned optimized routines planned out, where I had the LB Boost, the Bingo Boost, the Nest Boost, and Farm Boost all going at once, fall apart because of crashes. That lost me considerable portions my immediate gold and points, and the fruits of previous weeks' gold and points.

I might have prepared the Island for that run for days, and spent the previous week winning the boosts just for that strategy to get the most progress that I could in that first 30 minutes of the Nest Boost, and also be able to complete the Farm challenges for a Bingo, and, if done well, complete two cards in a short burst.

All I can offer is my opinion, that something is better than nothing, and we'd all lose if they took away the boosts. But...in consideration of the dear price that we pay for those boosts, I think they could be a bit more generous.

xenu8
05-18-17, 07:09 PM
What you are talking about, myself and others have mentioned in other threads. The game becomes very unstable when using a 10x boost, and many are almost guaranteed a crash. I've had well planned optimized routines planned out, where I had the LB Boost, the Bingo Boost, the Nest Boost, and Farm Boost all going at once, fall apart because of crashes. That lost me considerable portions my immediate gold and points, and the fruits of previous weeks' gold and points.

I might have prepared the Island for that run for days, and spent the previous week winning the boosts just for that strategy to get the most progress that I could in that first 30 minutes of the Nest Boost, and also be able to complete the Farm challenges for a Bingo, and, if done well, complete two cards in a short burst.

All I can offer is my opinion, that something is better than nothing, and we'd all lose if they took away the boosts. But...in consideration of the dear price that we pay for those boosts, I think they could be a bit more generous.

I guess you don't understand? Here is what happens:

I buy 3 light eggs from the market & put them on my 3 nests....
I have the 10x boost going

I then use gold to speed up the eggs.. cost is 1 gold each...to hatch the egg & get my points. Repeat, buy eggs, hatch with gold....

5 mins go by, game crashes (my game dragon story games rarely crashes btw)

I come back and now the cost to hatch the egg is more...Do you understand, the cost to hatch the egg keeps raising?

it is not the crashing that is upsetting me, it is the fact they my game is deliberately crashed to raise the price. Each time it crashes and I come back the price to hatch the egg goes up

crashes: same egg/same time now costs 2 gold to speed up, 5 mins later game crashes now it costs 3 gold to hatch same egg, keeps increasing.

I'm not losing anything except that they are stealing gold from me. I have slowed down in playing all storm8 games because this is unethical. I refuse to buy anymore gold when the company just plans to steal it from me. It's bad enough with the gold traps but this really is horrible. It happened in March & I thought it was some fluke but it happened again, so it is deliberate.

Hartoled
05-18-17, 11:26 PM

I then use gold to speed up the eggs.. cost is 1 gold each...to hatch the egg & get my points. Repeat, buy eggs, hatch with gold....

I come back and now the cost to hatch the egg is more...Do you understand, the cost to hatch the egg keeps raising?

it is not the crashing that is upsetting me, it is the fact they my game is deliberately crashed to raise the price. Each time it crashes and I come back the price to hatch the egg goes up

crashes: same egg/same time now costs 2 gold to speed up, 5 mins later game crashes now it costs 3 gold to hatch same egg, keeps increasing.

I'm not losing anything except that they are stealing gold from me. I have slowed down in playing all storm8 games because this is unethical. I refuse to buy anymore gold when the company just plans to steal it from me. It's bad enough with the gold traps but this really is horrible. It happened in March & I thought it was some fluke but it happened again, so it is deliberate.

Yes, I understand. The main difference is that I'm usually dealing with much more random eggs than just Light Dragons. Sometimes the price to hatch is much higher, but it definitely increases over the course of the hour, to the tune of one bar per six minutes of boost. My previous suggestion was to increase the duration of the 10X boosts by five minutes to at least pay back the time it takes to relog once...but that's a pretty random solution.

I seriously doubt that, though there is a problem, they are doing it intentionally. The game has a lot to keep up with and a 10x boost on it's clock may be a bit much. I'm sure they can iron it out, eventually, now that they know it's a problem.

JustKay
05-19-17, 04:29 AM

You misunderstand what a 10x does to the cost to speed up an egg. If you start a 10x boost and put a 12 hour egg on a nest, the boost for 1 hour will run through 10 hours of the 12 hour hatching, so the cost will likely be 3 gold. 12 - 10 hours = 2 hours left over costing 2 gold, plus a small residual of 1 gold to cover a few minutes between starting the boost and putting the egg on.

If you were to wait, or return from a crash taking 6 minutes, you've lost 6 minutes of your boost and it's now only really worth 54 minutes which will consume only 9 hours, so now if you put a 12 hour egg on the nest, it will cost you 4 gold. 3 hours will be left over at the end of your boost period on a 12 hour egg, and 1 gold to cover a small residual of a few minutes. The longer your boost runs, the less hours it will consume in the remaining time. You don't start a 10x boost and get 10 hours off everything during the entire 1 hour. It's return diminishes during it's duration.

Hartoled
05-22-17, 12:43 PM
I think the clock is a bit too fast, though. If I put a Fruitful (10 hours) on the Nest and start the 10x Boost, less than a minute later the cost is 2 bars to get him off. How is that fair?

JustKay
05-22-17, 11:01 PM
That certainly doesnt sound right. Maybe there is a timing issue at the server. I know the gold amount to speed up can glitch up when the boost ends, but for an egg that is on the nest pre-boost, the cost to speed up shouldnt change for the duration of the boost. Maybe they are tweaking the logic bwhind the scenes.

To be honest, I lovw the idea behind boosts and they make the game more interesting... but they are a bit of a terrible feature for thebottom line. It doesnt seem likecoincidence that suddenly nowthey're cutting costs

Hartoled
05-23-17, 12:33 AM
That certainly doesnt sound right. Maybe there is a timing issue at the server. I know the gold amount to speed up can glitch up when the boost ends, but for an egg that is on the nest pre-boost, the cost to speed up shouldnt change for the duration of the boost. Maybe they are tweaking the logic bwhind the scenes.

To be honest, I lovw the idea behind boosts and they make the game more interesting... but they are a bit of a terrible feature for thebottom line. It doesnt seem likecoincidence that suddenly nowthey're cutting costs

I don't think there are that many of us who speed breed off of the boosts. I speed farm, also, and I would never spend a cent on farming without the boosts, so they come out ahead, as far as it concerns me.

Unless my Bingo mates get busy, I'm looking at wasting a few boosts tomorrow, as well. I don't feel like fighting off snipers, so I am conserving my boosts rather than using them in an optimistic manner. If I keep second place, S8 gets me for cheap.

harobeda
05-23-17, 10:34 AM
I think the clock is a bit too fast, though. If I put a Fruitful (10 hours) on the Nest and start the 10x Boost, less than a minute later the cost is 2 bars to get him off. How is that fair?

Every minute of a 10X boost is basically 10 regular minutes compressed into 1 minute. So if you put a fruitful on the nest after 1 minute of starting the boost, you have to wait 10 minutes for it to go back to costing 1 gold.

JustKay
05-23-17, 06:02 PM
? am confused. Thats not how boosts started out. Recently I do feel that the math is mot so simple anymore. Probably an attempt to slightly address the imbalance from boosted speed breeding

JustKay
05-23-17, 06:05 PM
More people are catching on. It used to be one of my trump cards but now I see people using it more in bingo & LB. Thats partly why I feel like stepping bacl from LB. My previous advantage is less effective. When I see someone using this now I have to beat them in other ways. I have to use my whole hand of trump cards

In pvp like bingo & lb it probably doesnt hurt s8 as much since it just escaltes the arms race. Everyone one just increases gold spend. However using boosts in other parts of the game does effect gold spend which goes to s8

When LB first came out I was euphoric to get a silver. Then I wanted to win gold just once even against real money spenders, but now its sorta gotten out of hand and im just collecting

Hartoled
05-23-17, 06:51 PM
More people are catching on. It used to be one of my trump cards but now I see people using it more in bingo & LB. Thats partly why I feel like stepping bacl from LB. My previous advantage is less effective. When I see someone using this now I have to beat them in other ways. I have to use my whole hand of trump cards

In pvp like bingo & lb it probably doesnt hurt s8 as much since it just escaltes the arms race. Everyone one just increases gold spend. However using boosts in other parts of the game does effect gold spend which goes to s8

When LB first came out I was euphoric to get a silver. Then I wanted to win gold just once even against real money spenders, but now its sorta gotten out of hand and im just collecting

When somebody cited ~181,000 as the leader's score in that last LB, it changed my outlook considerably. I did some math and that's something over $2000.00 that somebody spent. Ever putting that person in a pool with normal players again is just ridiculous. I don't believe S8 even possesses a real matchmaking algorithm from the disparities that I've seen in these things. I think that their performance in these matters have actually made me feel ashamed to achieve a high score, not to mention the things that I'd rather do for loved ones or even humanity over getting a virtual pet.

JustKay
05-25-17, 08:00 PM
If that user reached 181000 points, wouldnt it mean 2nd place reached similar heights to force them up there? The matching algorith is working then. U wont find 20 such rich crazy ppl, so a few unlucky ppl would get stuck in that group. However to push someone that far requires an equally capable challenger (s).

I do find I am in like minded groups. Ppl with trophies, some good strategies, but not throwing lots of/any real money at the game. That me

Hartoled
05-26-17, 10:46 AM
If that user reached 181000 points, wouldnt it mean 2nd place reached similar heights to force them up there? The matching algorith is working then. U wont find 20 such rich crazy ppl, so a few unlucky ppl would get stuck in that group. However to push someone that far requires an equally capable challenger (s).

I do find I am in like minded groups. Ppl with trophies, some good strategies, but not throwing lots of/any real money at the game. That me

I can think of several things that it might mean. The least believable is that a real customer actually spent over 2.5K Dollars of their money on an event.