PDA

View Full Version : Please post your experiences with tourney loss streaks and breeding for Dragon Tales

chuckyt888
07-23-16, 01:19 PM
On my account I failed breeding a Coral dragon for Dragon Tales. Tried from the beginning of Dragon Tales repeatedly and had no choice but to skip it or not be able to complete Dragon Tales. This is a common occurrence for friends and family and spans multiple accounts and multiple Dragon Tales. I don't need to tell anyone how ridiculous this is when outside of Dragon Tales, commons would be the breeding result 90% of the time.

I am currently on a double digit loss streak for the Inquisitor in the arena tournament and have been on it for a full day now. This is a common occurrence for friends and family and spans multiple accounts and multiple tournaments. It is not uncommon for 25% win chance dragons to rack up 20+ loss streaks against level 20 champion dragons (these 25% chance dragons are the best you can do against lvl 20 champs). I've had 60-80% win chance dragons rack up double digit loss streaks.

There is a problem here and the developers need to know about it (if this is unintended). The odds of these things happening consistently really get out of hand when you start doing the math. The best thing we can do is post these experiences in a thread.

chuckyt888
07-23-16, 03:32 PM
15 losses now on Inquisitor using 25% win chance dragons on all attempts but one.

Burrymillz
07-23-16, 04:50 PM
I really don't think that win % matter I think you just have to keep attempting I've lost to 1 dragon many times only to end up beating it with a dragon that had lost to it before I spent over a day and a half on the same dragon maybe 20 25 losses just have to keep trying

chuckyt888
07-23-16, 05:04 PM
Against level 20 champions, level 15 Diamond, Infinity, Passion, Pyramid and Soccer all have 25% chance to win. The advantages certain types have over other types seems to hold true outside of tournaments/Dragon Tales but definitely not during them... especially on the "hard" dragons everyone will have trouble with during these events. I agree with you that something is 100% off during events when it comes to arena and breeding. They have claimed that the percentages are the same and are not manipulated during events. Either there is a bug/issue they aren't aware of in code or somebody is being misinformed. The question is which one is it... if there is no difference in these percentages during and outside of events things are 100% not working as intended.

17 losses and counting.

belarica
07-23-16, 05:05 PM
I really don't think that win % matter I think you just have to keep attempting I've lost to 1 dragon many times only to end up beating it with a dragon that had lost to it before I spent over a day and a half on the same dragon maybe 20 25 losses just have to keep trying

We also have to remember that a 25% chance to win is a 75% chance to lose. The chance to lose is 75% every single attempt, the amount of losses does not increase the chance to win.

chuckyt888
07-23-16, 05:11 PM
The odds of losing streaks like this consistently happening are astronomical. I can buy an outlier here or there but it's constant.

You're 100% correct the odds of losing a single attempt is 75%.... and the odds of winning are 25%... and the numbers don't play out over time.

It's been a while since I've dealt with statistics/probability but the chance of losing 17 times in a row on a 25% win chance is about 0 .75% I think. I've had 20+ losses in the same situation several other times.

Maybe I should play the lottery.

We also have to remember that a 25% chance to win is a 75% chance to lose. The chance to lose is 75% every single attempt, the amount of losses does not increase the chance to win.

JustKay
07-23-16, 06:07 PM
i don't normally have trouble with Tales or Tourneys, so I will share one observation that I have made so that others may benefit. The difficulty level does not seem to stay the same during the entire period of a special event. I first noticed this when I was on holiday and did a tourney in one morning because I knew I wouldn't have internet connectivity for the rest of the week. Yes, I acknowledge that I did spend gold speeding up the next rounds which may affect the luck variable, however the difficulty level was significantly less frustrating the more time I had left on the event. This makes sense since the less time = more sense of urgency = more likely to spend gold.

In short, the difficulty level of a tourney or goal is less at the start of the event and highest near the end. This also irons out a lot of the ****er babies complaints during the early days of a tourney when baby opponents regularly best epic dragons (no algorithm is perfect). The early baby rounds go down easy since the difficulty level is also lower. Applying this understanding, I always charge through tourneys and try to finish them in the first two or three days. I'll clock in on the hour every hour up til late at night and will usually have at least 3 days left on the clock when I am done. At the very least I would have cleared the 3 tough milestone dragons, and can have a few days for the home run. Around the time that I finish, I'll start seeing more and more difficulty complaints on the forums as the other players hit the higher difficulty setting.

The same can be said about Breeding goals for Tales. I will read up on the goals as early as possible and try to breed the required dragons and have them sitting on my nest ready to go for when the time comes. I do have the advantage of four nests but before I did, I would put a stop to breeding if I had the right hours in the den. If the dragon goes on sale in the market that's a clear sign the difficulty level will have been tweaked. Even on Leaderboard events, I've noticed that the spin wheel is less generous later in the game.

Make no mistake that Dragon Story is a money making game and it needs to do this to keep those servers running. Don't take it personally, and just figure out & learn the system so you play a better game than others. Ultimately, you are not playing against S8, you are playing against other players for the right to not have to spend gold. Someone has to foot the bill.

DeeDe99
07-23-16, 06:27 PM
I have different theories about the game than JustKay however I agree with her 100% when she says "just figure out and learn the system so you play a better game". The game doesn't work how players might want it to work, so players have to adjust game tactics accordingly.

I don't believe anything is changed during events as my game experience doesn't indicate any difference between event and non-event activities.

Don't underestimate the psychological factors at play here - generally humans are very susceptible to time pressures which affect actions and decision making. There are a lot of psychological drivers in this game!

9krm
07-23-16, 06:32 PM
I am on lvl 152 or something and have been playing since March 2015 (I think). Until this past January, I won every tournament that came along. After that, I was only able to win the Fool 3 day tournament. It is always the same: I get stuck on a champ for 2-3 days and then either give up or run out of time (I refuse to use the ultimate).

I have a lvl 15 diamond, a lvl 15 quetzal, and 4 or 5 champs, including a lvl 15 Dueler. Nothing works. I really wanted to win the last tournament because I liked the prize, but wasn't able to get through. I don't keep stats or anything but it is frustrating.
ETA: I almost never lose battles when it isn't a tournament.

chuckyt888
07-23-16, 06:49 PM
There's not much you can do other than spend gold to skip the breeding when you try from the beginning of Dragon Tales to breed a common dragon and are not able to. There is nothing to adjust. They are saying it's not manipulated in any way so there is obviously something wrong for certain player accounts and it needs fixed. There is nothing psychological about it. The same goes for the tournament. It's numbers and they don't add up over a large sample size. I don't doubt that it's not the same for players of a certain profile.

A little transparency from the developer would go a long way. If something is changed in code that affects gameplay it should be communicated in patch notes like any other game. If there are certain triggers based upon player profile (or whatever it is) that could up difficulty levels fine.... say that.

Kennedward
07-23-16, 07:02 PM
I haven't lost much in the tournaments

But I have been breeding nothing but commons for around 2 years now

I sure miss the 2 months when I completed my diamond collection, that's 8 Diamond type dragons in 2 months

DeeDe99
07-24-16, 01:27 AM
There are other possibilities other than the game code.

It is theoretically possible coms, device hardware, operating systems (less that optimal compatibility perhaps) and DS version could all, in isolation or combination, cause issues. The issues being raised on this thread are not experienced by all players - it is reasonable to suggest if it were game code alone then more players would be affected.

I will say I have repeatedly found when I am on a losing streak on the iPad in a tournament that going and fighting the next battle on my Android phone invariably breaks my losing streak. It is simply one of my standard battle tactics now. I've not tried that with breeding, just the Arena.

As far as breeding goes, I've essentially given up trying to breed limited dragons and I now view DS as a game where dragons are NOT (or very rarely) acquired through breeding, but via events. I fulfill my breeding aspirations in other games.

chuckyt888
07-24-16, 12:55 PM
Lost 20 times to Inquisitor. Then lost 4 times to the next dragon (Spell 19) with 55% win chance. This is as an "end game" player with multiple best chance dragons against virtually any other dragon.

What's funny on the breeding for comparison is that I've been trying for the Rapunzel (purple/yellow) for the last several days and have got nothing but Genie commons. If I were to try a purple/blue breed right now Id get Coral a large majority of the time. There is 100% manipulation of some sort going on whether its intended or not. Issues with OS/device/connection would manifest themselves in other ways. They had to put in a connection check before many player actions due to people *****ing, so connection issues would result in a connection error screen from that try/catch. You have a valid connection and a valid server response from an attack in arena, there is nothing device/connection/OS related that's going to change that result. It's something code or data related.

It would be interesting to see the data if you started tracking it for when you switch to the Android phone on losing streaks. Maybe your player profile is altered in some way while using the Android phone resulting in "easier" battles.

Niire
07-24-16, 01:57 PM
I will report what I have come across the last year's tourneys, and this most recent tales, for the sake of info all being in a central location. <3

This past year, I have been getting stuck on 1 or 2 champs for at least a full day, sometimes more. This time, it was the inquisitor, I was stuck on him an entire day, and I am able most of the time to log in every hour to battle. Finally got past him, I cannot even remember which dragon I used because I was picking randoms at that point. This has indeed happened every tourney, except the chimera one. I don't think that one had a champ. I have a level 15 diamond and beast, right now those are my only 2 maxed dragons due to feeding issues, lol.

This tales, I bred 3 night dragons and a wizard before I was able to breed a coral. I started early on the breeding, before the tales started. I got those 4 with common blue/purple because I thought that was the safest route, but finally got it with diamond and beast I think. other tales, though, I don't normally have issues breeding the required dragons.

chuckyt888
07-24-16, 06:20 PM
Currently on another 4-loss streak for Duchess. Probably no way I can finish this tournament now without Ultimating Stalwart, which is a level 20 champ.

That's 30 attacks (with just about exclusively dragons having the best possible chance to win) on Inquisitor, Spell and Duchess. I was on Inquisitor for 2 days.

Edit: Still losing on Duchess. Absolutely ridiculous. Going into battle 7 on 55% win chances. The stance from the company that nothing is different during DT/tournaments has got to change.

Kennedward
07-24-16, 08:52 PM
I will report what I have come across the last year's tourneys, and this most recent tales, for the sake of info all being in a central location. <3

This past year, I have been getting stuck on 1 or 2 champs for at least a full day, sometimes more. This time, it was the inquisitor, I was stuck on him an entire day, and I am able most of the time to log in every hour to battle. Finally got past him, I cannot even remember which dragon I used because I was picking randoms at that point. This has indeed happened every tourney, except the chimera one. I don't think that one had a champ. I have a level 15 diamond and beast, right now those are my only 2 maxed dragons due to feeding issues, lol.

This tales, I bred 3 night dragons and a wizard before I was able to breed a coral. I started early on the breeding, before the tales started. I got those 4 with common blue/purple because I thought that was the safest route, but finally got it with diamond and beast I think. other tales, though, I don't normally have issues breeding the required dragons.

Speaking of the tales, when I see the list of required tasks on page 1, often times it already discourages me due to my bad experience in the past with some of the hard to complete tasks

And when the final prize isn't anything interesting, like the recent one that has types that I don't like, I simply give up on them, I don't even try to complete it at all

So I would say overall Tales has been a bad experience for me, since it requires so many tasks to be completed in such a short period of time, and some of which seems pretty much impossible for me to complete since I cannot play every single hour every day, especially during weekdays when I have work

starship412
07-24-16, 09:46 PM
I'm not trying to get on TL's bad side but the posts in this thread are right and it's taking the fun out of the game. The last tournament was really horrible as I was stuck on Inquisitor and Valiant for over a day and I'm on Android. Breeding is bad too as I can go weeks breeding nothing but Corals, Genies, Athletics (which are supposed to be "rare" but love my island) and the three worst time wasters in Magic, Island and Virtue (also supposed to be "rare"). The last time I bred something useful was Crusader last month. Something's wrong there. Also, what happened to World Events? Everyone is complaining about the Leaderboards and rightfully so. They favor iOS users because of the Arctic Isles not being available for Android and the rich who pour money into the game to get a leg up. At least with World Event everything was fair and everyone had a level playing field. I understand the company has to make money but there's other ways of doing it. As I say, I don't want to sound insulting but when you get a lot of users complaining, it's not a good thing. Please bring the fun back.

Kennedward
07-24-16, 10:29 PM
I'm not trying to get on TL's bad side but the posts in this thread are right and it's taking the fun out of the game. The last tournament was really horrible as I was stuck on Inquisitor and Valiant for over a day and I'm on Android. Breeding is bad too as I can go weeks breeding nothing but Corals, Genies, Athletics (which are supposed to be "rare" but love my island) and the three worst time wasters in Magic, Island and Virtue (also supposed to be "rare"). The last time I bred something useful was Crusader last month. Something's wrong there. Also, what happened to World Events? Everyone is complaining about the Leaderboards and rightfully so. They favor iOS users because of the Arctic Isles not being available for Android and the rich who pour money into the game to get a leg up. At least with World Event everything was fair and everyone had a level playing field. I understand the company has to make money but there's other ways of doing it. As I say, I don't want to sound insulting but when you get a lot of users complaining, it's not a good thing. Please bring the fun back.

Agreed

Adding onto that, I don't find Tales event fun at all, just a lot of work to be done in the short period of time given.

World Events, on the other hand, gives a lighter feeling in how we're all contributing to a final community prize, however, the recent one set the points for the final individual prize way too high and many players missed the prize from not having enough points, myself included

Overall, I really wish the game changes many of the things people have been complaining about for years, I've made similar suggestions 2 years ago, but none were taken into account

All of this complaining, however, merely created argument between players on the forum, which really does nothing good, as the game is still not as enjoyable as it once was in the earlier years

9krm
07-24-16, 11:12 PM
Agreed re: tales. I haven't bothered to even start the last few tales and I've never tried to finish one. They are too much work and not very fun...not exactly what I am looking for in a game.

starship412
07-24-16, 11:28 PM
I agree with the tales too. The only ones I even tried to put effort in was the ones with the Royal Family and Arcane Age. The last two tales including this one had unappealing dragons. A suggestion - lessen the food requirements and involve dragons other than blue, yellow, white and purple dragons. Black, pink, mythic, cosmic and rainbow would be far more interesting or reintroduce soccer and heart or maybe introduce a new color altogether.

Kennedward
07-24-16, 11:38 PM
Agreed re: tales. I haven't bothered to even start the last few tales and I've never tried to finish one. They are too much work and not very fun...not exactly what I am looking for in a game.

Agreed, same reason why I didn't bother with the recent one

Speaking of which, I only finished 2 or 3 tales event simply because I liked the final prize, but the process of finishing it wasn't fun at all

Kennedward
07-24-16, 11:39 PM
I agree with the tales too. The only ones I even tried to put effort in was the ones with the Royal Family and Arcane Age. The last two tales including this one had unappealing dragons. A suggestion - lessen the food requirements and involve dragons other than blue, yellow, white and purple dragons. Black, pink, mythic, cosmic and rainbow would be far more interesting or reintroduce soccer and heart or maybe introduce a new color altogether.

Agreed

I don't see why we have to raise 2 newly gotten dragons to level 14 & 12 respectively, when we have tons of other dragons to feed

That raises another problem with food, the present crops aren't giving us much, it's quite hard just to get 1 dragon to LV15

chuckyt888
07-25-16, 12:23 AM
I agree with everything everyone is saying. The game used to be fun and I was not averse to getting gold every once in a while for a fun game that was fair in the rewards it gave to players.

That was probably over a year ago... actually it's probably going on 2 years. Since then, the Gold quest was taken away and Tales/tourneys/Leaderboard and even World events have got a whole lot worse with each new one in terms of squeezing the life out of players. I couldn't believe it when this garbage made its way into World Events.

It is almost impossible to level up dragons anymore. You simply cannot breed limited time dragons. Winning percentages in arena and breeding percentages continue to get manipulated. The fun and life of the game has been completely squeezed out.

I just don't understand it when there are so many dragons to get and level up. It's like they don't want us getting anywhere at all which makes no sense to me. People will buy gold if the game is fun and fair. It's just not right now. They must be getting more money from those who must have every single thing doing things the way they are but I cannot subsidize this game and a company treating it's player base this way and decided a long while ago to not buy gold until things change. Unbelievably, things have only become worse since I made that decision.

All this... and that's not even mentioning the rollbacks and gold traps.

Agreed

I don't see why we have to raise 2 newly gotten dragons to level 14 & 12 respectively, when we have tons of other dragons to feed

That raises another problem with food, the present crops aren't giving us much, it's quite hard just to get 1 dragon to LV15

pernmagic
07-25-16, 12:24 AM
Speaking of the tales, when I see the list of required tasks on page 1, often times it already discourages me due to my bad experience in the past with some of the hard to complete tasks

And when the final prize isn't anything interesting, like the recent one that has types that I don't like, I simply give up on them, I don't even try to complete it at all

So I would say overall Tales has been a bad experience for me, since it requires so many tasks to be completed in such a short period of time, and some of which seems pretty much impossible for me to complete since I cannot play every single hour every day, especially during weekdays when I have work

I feel the same , for me it depends on the final dragons worth to me ..... If I actually want or need that dragon I will plod on to finish but otherwise I choose to go as far as I want and then stop so I don't have unnecessary hassle to finish just because it's there ..... Guess it's a personal choice how I use precious food resources

Kennedward
07-25-16, 04:31 AM
I agree with everything everyone is saying. The game used to be fun and I was not averse to getting gold every once in a while for a fun game that was fair in the rewards it gave to players.

That was probably over a year ago... actually it's probably going on 2 years. Since then, the Gold quest was taken away and Tales/tourneys/Leaderboard and even World events have got a whole lot worse with each new one in terms of squeezing the life out of players. I couldn't believe it when this garbage made its way into World Events.

It is almost impossible to level up dragons anymore. You simply cannot breed limited time dragons. Winning percentages in arena and breeding percentages continue to get manipulated. The fun and life of the game has been completely squeezed out.

I just don't understand it when there are so many dragons to get and level up. It's like they don't want us getting anywhere at all which makes no sense to me. People will buy gold if the game is fun and fair. It's just not right now. They must be getting more money from those who must have every single thing doing things the way they are but I cannot subsidize this game and a company treating it's player base this way and decided a long while ago to not buy gold until things change. Unbelievably, things have only become worse since I made that decision.

Yea, the game didn't seem so much into spending gold at first, I remember they even gave us a lot more free gold, some came with downloading and playing other games, as well as gold quest, and even winning a certain battle in the tournament. Sadly, most of that have been taken away since the introduction of gold producing dragons.

As for money, I didn't spend any money in this game at all, I saved from the free gold to get my first gpd and eventually got them all from saving only, it was possible back in the earlier days in the game.

However, I doubt anyone new to the game can save any free gold at all, since they are so rare and hard to get now, so really, the only chance anyone have of getting gold is to spend money.

Kennedward
07-25-16, 04:33 AM
I feel the same , for me it depends on the final dragons worth to me ..... If I actually want or need that dragon I will plod on to finish but otherwise I choose to go as far as I want and then stop so I don't have unnecessary hassle to finish just because it's there ..... Guess it's a personal choice how I use precious food resources

It's the same for me as well really, if I like the final prize then I'll try my best to get it, but won't be too crazy as to spend gold, since I could really care less about more new dragons.

But if it's a dragon that I don't want or like, then I won't bother at all, Tales are frustrating to complete, one wrong move, like using Quest outpost for a long hour quest can mess up your whole schedule

Burrymillz
07-25-16, 10:15 AM

Only going to comment on paragraph 4 they don't want us to have apples that's why we have to raise dragons to level 12 and 14 they want us to buy apples with gold

[S8] Elsa
07-25-16, 10:34 AM
The breeding rules and battle rules haven't changed. All players have the same chance to breed a Dragon or win a battle. The only time breeding is different is when a player users a Diamond Temple or a Boosted Breed feature, which improves the breeding chances in favor of the player.

If you're having difficulty winning a tournament, we recommend using the current tournament thread for strategies shared by other players. If you need help identifying the best combination for breeding a certain dragon, please visit the thread for that Dragon for strategies shared by other players. Since both of those threads already exist, we will be closing this one. Thank you.