View Full Version : Perry's Perfectly Proper Scottish Egg Recipe

Perry9877
03-01-16, 06:34 AM
Perry's Perfectly Proper Scottish Egg Recipe

Makes 10 whole eggs/20 portions if serving halved

12 eggs divided
Sage (as much as you like)
2 TBLSP milk
1 cup rolled oats (quick oats do not work here)
1 roll Jimmy Dean Sausage with Sage
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup all purpose flour
Salt and Pepper to taste

Prepare 10 of the eggs as hard boiled eggs. I like to prepare these eggs the day before I plan to dress them.
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
Mix sausage meat, rolled oats, sage, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Divide sausage mix into 10 even portions.
Beat remaining 2 eggs with the milk in a shallow bowl.
Spread breadcrumbs on a plate.
Roll peeled eggs in the flour.
Flatten portion of the sausage mix over your palm. You will place an egg onto your palm.
Roll the sausage mix around the egg. Continue rolling until the egg is fully covered.
Roll the covered egg in the egg wash (egg and milk) then roll them in the seasoned breadcrumbs. *
I usually cover a cookie sheet with foil and use cooking spray to keep eggs from sticking. It is crazy difficult to get all the grease off the cookie sheet without the foil.
Place eggs on cookie sheet, taking care that they do not touch.
Cook for 35-45 minutes, making sure the sausage meat I'd fully cooked with no pink left.

I have been making these forever. They are great at pot luck dinners or for cultural diversity dinners. Traditionally they were considered to be working men's lunch, as they could be eaten at room temperature and were hearty enough to retain a full feeling for the afternoon/early evening shift. As Pub fare they are usually served halved and with some manner of mustard sauce. I like to add a bit of curry to my mustard sauce.

Since this ties into the current event, I thought I would share this with everyone! Enjoy.

* Panko breadcrumbs seem to be the in thing, but I have not tried them.

kooky panda
03-01-16, 11:17 AM
Moving this thread to the off topic forum .

Thanks for sharing this!

Perry9877
03-01-16, 01:52 PM
Anytime!

Elspelsie
04-29-16, 11:07 PM
I am so trying this...