PDA

View Full Version : Why population?

Machacker
08-14-10, 07:42 PM
I don't understand the current purpose of population, other than to push to increase the number of happiness generating buildings. We don't generate taxes from them, so what use are they?

In a related note, could I recreate City of Industry, CA, i.e., a city of all factories? Factories do not require population to operate.

Unregistered
08-14-10, 09:15 PM
There is a population because it's a "City." However, you do not have to have a population. If you don't build residences then you wont have a population. You can have a City of Industry, but you can only have so many factories per level. Regardless, you can still just make money on the factories and then build businesses if you prefer as if it was a "downtown" with no residential area.

The point is to do what you want. The backstory built into the game (that you are a Mayor whose job it is to keep your population happy) does not have to be followed.

Machacker
08-15-10, 12:53 PM
There is a population because it's a "City." However, you do not have to have a population. If you don't build residences then you wont have a population. You can have a City of Industry, but you can only have so many factories per level. Regardless, you can still just make money on the factories and then build businesses if you prefer as if it was a "downtown" with no residential area.

The point is to do what you want. The backstory built into the game (that you are a Mayor whose job it is to keep your population happy) does not have to be followed.

I could demolish all the houses and buildings to see what happens. Too bad TeamLava doesn't bother with documentation on this.

The limit on factories does limit the ability to recreate City of Industry (which *is* a real city, folks). TeamLava seems to want to prevent the Blob of Crops you get in Farm Story.

More interesting would be recreating something like Colma, CA. That's a city of graveyards... :) (developed because cemeteries were banned in San Francisco back in the 50s).

Unregistered
08-15-10, 01:30 PM
I could demolish all the houses and buildings to see what happens. Too bad TeamLava doesn't bother with documentation on this.

The limit on factories does limit the ability to recreate City of Industry (which *is* a real city, folks). TeamLava seems to want to prevent the Blob of Crops you get in Farm Story.

More interesting would be recreating something like Colma, CA. That's a city of graveyards... :) (developed because cemeteries were banned in San Francisco back in the 50s).

You need to go outside or something. Why does team lava have to document senarios for you? Just delete what you don't want.

Machacker
08-15-10, 03:29 PM
You need to go outside or something. Why does team lava have to document senarios for you? Just delete what you don't want.

I want TeamLava to document whether population is required for factory operation.

I'd suggest reading my post again, but you probably wouldn't understand it if you read it a hundred times, so go fly a kite instead.

Underegistered
08-16-10, 04:47 AM
The forum is a great place to document anything and everything City Story, things that TeamLava hadn't dreamt of.

Give it a go, let us all know and off to fly a kite we go. Everyone's happy and no-one has to flame one another. :)

Unregistered
09-14-10, 08:42 AM
Having house is usefull to me so that other people have something to clean, other than that, I'm clueless