PDA

View Full Version : Recource management (advanced players)

Anaboe
01-17-16, 04:00 PM
Once you've reached a decent stable of dragons, there's no need to hatch and level every dragon you get. But, you still need some resources, like bombs, and gems.

I'd like to share my tactics and am curious about yours.

In order to not run out of space and habitats, als dragons I recieve as an egg, I keep in storage, ie, I don't hatch any of the dragons I get from goals, tournaments, world events, etc. (Unless, ofcourse, some goal requires me to). The last dragon I hatched is Rainbow Sentinel, because that is simply the best dragon in the arena.

I also always have spare room in color-habitats, so I never have to wait for a habitat to finish.

In order to get enough bombs, and gems, I keep a lot of my fails (untill the habitats are full, I can always sell a fail when I need the space). It's cheap to raise most dragons to lvl 4, which gives you bombs and make it possible to trade them for gems.

This way I save lots of food, while having use for my fails, and getting bombs and gems, so I never have to worry during dragon Tales and always have enough boms for the mine.

What's your tactics in resource-management?

DeeDe99
01-18-16, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure if I have enough dragons to qualify, Anaboe, but I hate an unanswered thread. ;)

I have 210 dragons on 76 habitats - that includes 10 Diamond habitats, 3 Treasure Terraces and 3 Resource type habitats.

I use the Stable a lot when reorganising, but now I have my habitat spreadsheet and pivot tables working the way I like, those help with planning.

Rarely do I keep duplicates. I have 76 unique dragons waiting on level 3 to be evolved so unless I specifically need a gem, I simply sell off the nest. I like to have 5 of each small gem on hand for Tales requirements or anything else that may crop up and I have recently needed to craft more nether dust so I traded off some duplicate purple and blue as soon as they hatched. I don't bother with those with long evolution times - I just sold a Virtue and I have a Night sitting in the Stable because black gems are so hard to get, but I'd prefer to sell that too.

Depending on what I am breeding, IF I am planning to trade any fails that result, I buy a small habitat as a holding cell and pop them on it until traded, then sell that habitat and move onto the next project.

With 76 waiting at level 3, it is going to be a while before I risk running out of bombs - it isn't that long ago I had 50 waiting at level 3 and despite my best efforts to reduce that number, it has grown!

I think I've finally got the food producing under control. I finished the Tales with 50,000 surplus and over the Christmas/New Year period fed up a few dragons - I still have 9 waiting at level 9 to get their turn in the Evolution Temple to go epic.

I find the Evolution Temple to be a huge bottleneck at this stage of my island's life - I understand from other players this does improve over time.

Anaboe
01-18-16, 05:44 PM
You're going great, DeeDee :)

Yes, when I was at your lvl, I had a waiting line for the evolution temple a mile long. Now it's empty, most of the time. I only evolve when I need the bombs for the mine (and the rare occasion I get a new dragon) :) Now I'm happy when I breed 1 new dragon every 2 months or so, so the only dragons I level (to 7) are those from crafting (mine and arena), and those that the tales ask me to hatch and level.

All others stay in inventory till kingdom come: to afraid I might run out of space (and since TeamLava broke their promise, I don't trust Storm8 either). TeamLava promised to never release more dragons than we could house in habitats and space. Well, there are more dragons than we can house.

DeeDe99
01-19-16, 01:12 AM
Glad to hear my looooong queue isn't unusual at this stage. I still feel sorry for your unhatched eggs though. I do wonder what the future holds. After all, the land probably can't keep expanding to infinity, devices don't have the grunt. I once suggested multiple islands we could travel between, with our dragons. They already have that concept developed with the Arctic Isles. The device would only need to cope with the island you were on at any given time. Might be a bit of delay while the next island loaded, but preferable to hitting the limit, so to speak.

I'd have an island for my Tales families, another for my World Events, etc etc. :D

In my concept, all resources would be shared: gold, coins, etc and it would be possible to transfer habitats from one island to another.

hiabarara
01-19-16, 07:54 AM
In order to not run out of space and habitats, als dragons I recieve as an egg, I keep in storage, ie, I don't hatch any of the dragons I get from goals, tournaments, world events, etc. (Unless, ofcourse, some goal requires me to). The last dragon I hatched is Rainbow Sentinel, because that is simply the best dragon in the arena.
I honestly don't think I could ever do this. It makes sense to me if you think a new World Event will happen during the next one or two weeks, but otherwise I can't stand the thought of keeping my dragon eggs unhatched :eek: I know I'll probably run into habitat problems sooner or later and then I'll have to decide which dragons to keep and which dragons to sell/trade, but at the moment I can still enjoy it to display all dragons I get. I always ask myself: What's the point of trying to win an event if you can't show and level these dragons?
I mean yes, it does make sense. It's not a stupid idea you have :D You plan ahead and that's a good thing. But I want enjoy this game with all my won dragons as long as I can. And later I'll have to figure something out.

I also always have spare room in color-habitats, so I never have to wait for a habitat to finish.
Me, too :)

In order to get enough bombs, and gems, I keep a lot of my fails (untill the habitats are full, I can always sell a fail when I need the space). It's cheap to raise most dragons to lvl 4, which gives you bombs and make it possible to trade them for gems.

This way I save lots of food, while having use for my fails, and getting bombs and gems, so I never have to worry during dragon Tales and always have enough boms for the mine.

What's your tactics in resource-management?
And here I agree as well. I'll sell some dragons (after 20 Love or Sunrise fails I just don't want to see them anymore), but I keep many fails (especially super rare dragons) and feed them to level 3. Then I evolve them, get some bombs and trade them for some gems. It takes less than 1.000 food and it's worth it because I'll get gems, bombs and one lucky dynamite explosion gives me my 1.000 food back :)

amerirish
01-19-16, 08:19 AM
I have 16 unique dragon eggs in storage because I fear running out of room too. They issue so many new dragons! Regular and limited time dragons to breed, re-released dragons to purchase, dragons to be won in battle, dragons to mine for, Dragon Tales dragons and so on. It's impossible to keep up and impossible to have a home for all of them on the island. What I don't understand is why there's a cap on habitats at all. Why can't we just have as many as we can place with the space available? Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

YeahBabyBabylonian
01-19-16, 09:31 AM
I am level 184 with 407/488 unique dragons, and have over 50 unique dragon eggs in storage. I will hatch one if I have a compelling reason to (including "looks really cool"), but with all the problems in the past of not enough habitats etc I prefer to play it safe. I know others have run into the max number of habitats and had to wait for months for an increase in the limit before they could hatch new dragons, and I would hate to have that happen to me. Besides, past a certain point in the game 98% of new dragons serve no purpose other than display .. I have 20+ champion dragons at level 10 already, why on earth do I need another one?

I also never keep duplicates unless they are diamond hybrids (and if I get another $^#&ing Mercury I may very well reconsider that exception). Anything that's common/rare gets sold off the nest, super rares get put in a temporary habitat until I need bombs, then I evolve and trade them. At lower levels I remember having a very long queue of dragons waiting for evolution, but now getting a new dragon via breeding is a very rare occurrence, so I rarely have more than one or two awaiting evolution unless I've already got the current mining dragon and am saving up for the next one. I evolve all my dragons to level 7 minimum. After that I evaluate if the cost to feed to 10 is worth the $ payout, which it typically is not.

As far as L15 dragons, I have three for battling those pesky L20 champs .. Diamond, Infinity and Pyramid (Pyramid is great if you were around for that first world event .. super cheap to feed and just as good as Diamond types). Also one L15 champion for tournaments. I might feed up another champ soon, but honestly with these four I have no trouble at all completing tournaments without spending gold. I also have a L15 Prime Chroma for breeding more primes and the diamond hybrids that I don't have (pink, white and rainbow) plus whatever dragons we've had to feed to L15 for dragon tales events.

Anaboe
01-19-16, 02:25 PM
I also never keep duplicates unless they are diamond hybrids (and if I get another $^#&ing Mercury I may very well reconsider that exception).
I'm past that point. Mercury is the only diamond that ever wants to visit my island - and it does so fairly often. Gold has visited in the past, but much less then Mercury. But I can't breed another hybrid if my life depended on it, even Crusader and Quetzal took me hours (or, to be honest, it took my husband hours, I didn't have the patience...)

As far as L15 dragons, I have three for battling those pesky L20 champs .. Diamond, Infinity and Pyramid (Pyramid is great if you were around for that first world event .. super cheap to feed and just as good as Diamond types). Also one L15 champion for tournaments. I might feed up another champ soon, but honestly with these four I have no trouble at all completing tournaments without spending gold.
Agreed, tho I have a little more on lvl 15:
Diamond, Infinity, Mercury, Gold
1 Champion
Brazil (to fight the gold-type-dragons)
Jewel (now lvl 13, will be lvl 15 soon, for it's is good against a specific type of dragon, which I now can't remember).
And my all time favorite: Rainbow Sentinel. That is the most awesome fighter you will ever see

I also have a L15 Prime Chroma for breeding more primes and the diamond hybrids that I don't have (pink, white and rainbow) plus whatever dragons we've had to feed to L15 for dragon tales events.
I never tried breeding for the Prime dragons, doubt if I ever will get one, besides the one I buy when on sale :). Also was tempted to buy the Prime-Diamond-hybrid, but didn't want to spent that much gold at that time. Was still saving up after Black Friday-sales.

DeeDe99
01-19-16, 03:35 PM
I'm past that point. Mercury is the only diamond that ever wants to visit my island - and it does so fairly often. Gold has visited in the past, but much less then Mercury. But I can't breed another hybrid if my life depended on it, even Crusader and Quetzal took me hours (or, to be honest, it took my husband hours, I didn't have the patience...)

Crusader and Gold I am more than happy to trade, they are to me as Mercury is to you. Pity we can't swap! I even ended up with two Quetzal although it took getting the Diamond Temple before I saw sight or sign of him (haven't seen one since either). Like you, I didn't have the patience - after about 200 plus Forest fails I changed strategy to the Temple.

At the moment I have 2 Crusader, 2 Gold and 2 Quetzal, but I will have no more hesitation getting rid of Diamond hybrid dups that I have getting rid of any other dups when the land space crunch comes.

Dragosle
01-19-16, 08:59 PM
Let me sum up my tactics in a list for short since I'm not very good at lengthy writing:

- My ideal number of dragons in a habitat is 2.

- Each dragon need to stay with a matching buddy, and if possible, in a matching habitat (the only reason I keep at most 3 in a habitat is because I haven't settle the dragon's place to stay, its home-mate, or just because the dragon doesn't fit-in looking with others - the Card-trio from the last Tales for example)

- I tried to keep all of my new dragon eggs in storage and only take out if I really like the dragons (this goes after my habitat priority)

- I hardly ever keep duplicate, unless the dragons is limited (and cute of course) and I happened to have a dup when it expired. But never have more than 2. (I do keep 1 extra Fire, Forest and Air dragon so I will always be available for World Event quest)

- When keeping fail dragons to evolve for bombs, unless I need specific gems, I tend to use long evolve-time dragons (12+) for the most efficiency. Do pay attention to your current number of bombs before clicking the Evo.Temple to not losing bombs.

- For food, I choose which dragon to be raise to epic and which not (believe me, some dragons much better staying in lesser form since their epic are just ugly)

- I myself decided that I won't be leveling any of my dragons pass lv10 (no Prime dragons yeah, but I like the number 10 more than 15. Maybe when S8 make lv20 available, I'll consider it... before my food bank completely broke).

And that's my 2-cent. Looking back up, it's still kinda long :eek: