PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible (language semantics)

harobeda
12-22-15, 10:56 PM
The notification about the current battle tournament used the word "illusive." Bothered me since it seemed like it should have read as elusive. So I looked up the difference...

As found on a random site:

"An elusive fairy is one you can't catch, but an illusive one was never really there at all. It was just an illusion!

"Anything elusive is hard to get a hold of. It eludes you. Existentialism, love, and small rodents are among things people find elusive. If you can't understand what "nothingness" is, find that special someone, or catch the little mouse who eats your cake at night, then those things are elusive.

"Something illusive, on the other hand, is not real, even if it seems to be. The word illusive is used mostly in literature, where we find our favorite illusions. If flickering candlelight is casting scary shadows on the wall, don't worry, those are illusive villains. They aren't really there.

"You can't quite catch something elusive, but illusive things are just illusions. The word illusive is less common. It likes to hang around the library, where it can be easily caught."

So this all begs the question- is the Black ice dragon elusive or illusive?

DeeDe99
12-23-15, 12:07 AM
Good for you! You probably noticed I raised a grammatical question the other day. I don't think it is a question of semantics as much as using the correct word. Mind you, with auto-correct in use these days I do find so many more mistakes as people "believe" the auto-correct.

In this case, illusive could have been used as humour, given none of the dragons are real, they are all "illusions" created by code! :D

I noticed a missing space yesterday. This is the only one I can find without a space before the word Dragon.

Xyn25
12-23-15, 06:46 AM
The notification about the current battle tournament used the word "illusive." Bothered me since it seemed like it should have read as elusive. So I looked up the difference...

As found on a random site:

"An elusive fairy is one you can't catch, but an illusive one was never really there at all. It was just an illusion!

"Anything elusive is hard to get a hold of. It eludes you. Existentialism, love, and small rodents are among things people find elusive. If you can't understand what "nothingness" is, find that special someone, or catch the little mouse who eats your cake at night, then those things are elusive.

"Something illusive, on the other hand, is not real, even if it seems to be. The word illusive is used mostly in literature, where we find our favorite illusions. If flickering candlelight is casting scary shadows on the wall, don't worry, those are illusive villains. They aren't really there.

"You can't quite catch something elusive, but illusive things are just illusions. The word illusive is less common. It likes to hang around the library, where it can be easily caught."

So this all begs the question- is the Black ice dragon elusive or illusive?

They changed it! I just looked at the dragon's description and it says elusive now. I guess dragons don't like being told they aren't real!

amerirish
12-23-15, 09:33 AM
They changed it! I just looked at the dragon's description and it says elusive now. I guess dragons don't like being told they aren't real!

Because, you know, of course they're real! :p

DeeDe99
12-23-15, 12:46 PM
The dragon description is the same as it was. It was the notification that was different. *sigh* THAT was Harobedo's point! LOL