PDA

View Full Version : Please, mods, correct the English

DeeDe99
12-20-15, 11:52 PM
Dear Moderators,

Please correct the first sentence under the heading of this forum.

"How do you get that one dragon breed?" should be "How do you get that one dragon bred?" or "How do you breed that one dragon?"

Sorry for being a grammar nazi.

Thanking you in anticipation. :)

Sandybellee
12-21-15, 04:40 AM
I read "breed" as a noun in that sentence (cf. dog breed).

(N.B. English isn't my native language but I do have a degree in it so I take interest in grammar issues.)

DeeDe99
12-21-15, 04:56 AM
You could be right, Sandybellee, I just didn't read it that way. Well, I guess that I didn't is obvious really, isn't it? LOL

It has grated every time I read it. I don't have a degree in English, but I did breed German Shepherds and budgerigars. Not together, that would be decidedly odd, but yes I am familiar with that usage.

I saw it as a verb because of the "one dragon" - "one" not constituting a breed as such, although again, open to interpretation as it might mean one breed (noun) rather than one dragon.

I see "breeded" used quite often in the forums, that gives me heartburn too! LOL.

Maybe I have a mild case of OCD. I have learnt that in modern slang "dun" must mean "don't". My mother must be turning in her grave!

MaribouMay
12-21-15, 10:37 AM
I know how you feel about grammar DeeDe99. I try to remember that there are a lot of non-native English speakers on the forum and that English has more than its fair share of irregular verbs.

My current pet peeve is the demise of the adverb. My husband and I are often found muttering -ly under our breath while watching tv. As in chop the onion coarse(ly) or sing quiet(ly) run quick(ly). It has become very common to use the adjective form as an adverb. I shall try to gracefully dismount from my soapbox now.

kooky panda
12-21-15, 11:38 AM
I will flag this request over to the community managers.
Thanks!

kooky panda
12-21-15, 02:27 PM
I read "breed" as a noun in that sentence (cf. dog breed).

(N.B. English isn't my native language but I do have a degree in it so I take interest in grammar issues.)
I did check on this and Sandy is correct, in this case, breed is being used as a noun. Like a dog breed, they are saying a dragon breed.