PDA

View Full Version : "This is SO not Winter Solstice" Nouveau thought

DeeDe99
12-20-15, 10:53 PM
Nouveau stretched her wing muscles in preparation for the long flight ahead. As one of the finest dragon art aficionados in modern history, it was often asked to visit other dragon colonies to offer advice and assessments, but had never been asked to the more southern reaches of the planet.

It was nearing the northern winter solstice celebrations too, not a time Nouveau wanted to be away from home. especially with young Abyss and Avalanche dreaming up icy tricks to ruffle Parakeet's feathers every five minutes.

"With rank comes responsibility", Nouveau thought, artfully tucking the last blue stands of hair under the flying net. Good visibility was a must to fly safely - hair blowing about one's eyes wasn't safe, not to mention how tangled it would be at the end of the journey.

The air was crisp, wintry rays of sunlight making the morning frost glisten in defiance, refusing to melt.

Nouveau took to the air, powerful wings strumming the wind currents.

While it is a well known fact dragons have magical powers, it is not so well known that once airborne most senior dragons can apply their magic to their airspeed. Definitely not something to be tried by juvenile (or younger) dragons, mid-air crashes are far too dangerous. Those big metal birds humans use also need to be avoided at all costs as they are rather large and more than one dragon has come home the worse for wear after an unfortunate encounter.

Once clear of the island, Nouveau cast the speed spell and rocketed southward, wings spread for balance but little else now required. After about three hours the air seemed noticeably warmer. After five hours Nouveau started to wonder had winter disappeared. Well, yes, that is exactly what was happening. Nouveau was flying into summer. A very hot summer, much hotter than the temperate summers of home.

Tired and thirsty after the longest flight Nouveau had ever made, a safe arrival was finally achieved at the home of the Southern Art Collective Master. Nouveau felt as if in an oven. The air was dry and well over 100 degrees. The sun burned with such intensity every living creature sought shade, even the flies. The land was brown, even the trees were dark of hue. From the perspective of an art aficionado, the colours were astounding.

"This is SO not Winter Solstice". Nouveau doubted the Southern Art Collective Master had ever even seen snow - did winter even exist here?

pernmagic
12-21-15, 01:51 AM
Like it )

anaghasaki
12-21-15, 05:38 AM
Poor parakeet :( I hope he will be ok till Nouveau returns.. I love parakeet dragons.. they are so cute.. so I am looking forward to the dragon caretaker to see that he doesn't come to any harm :p in the case of any catastrophe the Society for the Welfare of Birdie Dragons will initiate action against the concerned caretaker ;) be warned :p to young Abyss and Avalanche*:mad: but I understand that it is their nature to be like that.. so again looking forward to caretaker 'with rank (no of dragons owned) comes responsibility' :D

DeeDe99
12-21-15, 05:57 AM
Oh, but Caretakers do not own the winged creatures of myth and legend. We only serve. Taking care of the mundane run & maintain aspects of the dragon kingdoms and colonies. The bookkeeping is horrendous and not something that comes naturally to dragons. We organise the employees: the farm labourers, the hairdressers and the Childcare employees.

My kingdom currently has vacancies, particularly for a beautician (Beauty needs "less is more" hints with her lipstick and Rapunzel's hair needs constant care), a chef (stewed apples are getting boring) and two habitat maintenance technicians. Applicants must not be scared of heights, flying at high speeds or flames. Flame retardant uniforms are provided. The only drawback is appointees must leave the human world for life, there is no going back.

Dragon/human romances are strictly forbidden and the penalty for transgression is rather terminal.

PS: Parakeet is very handy in the Arena, so it might be those two young truants who have to watch out! :D

anaghasaki
12-21-15, 06:22 AM
Sorry about the 'owned' aspect.. what I meant to say was no of dragons under one's care.. I hope I haven't hurt the winged mighty creatures' feelings.. that wouldn't be pleasant at all.. and I also hope the dragons under my care haven't been told about my comment by any passerby dragon.. I will have to take refuge in the human world for some time..

And yes.. there is a vast vacancy on my island for farm laborers.. too much shortage of farm products:-):-)

Glad to know your parakeet is trained in warfare.. mine just likes to show off his beauty by flying high for everyone to notice and sometimes revolving mid air (when he senses everyone's eyes on him).. if I send him for training in the arena, he looses as soon as possible so that he can spend nice two long hours in spa.. my attendant in charge of spa complaints that he particularly asks her to attend to each of his feathers tenderly and separately..

Xyn25
12-21-15, 08:37 AM
Living in the southern hemisphere as well, all these seasonal dragons are wondering where winter went! My Summer Solstice dragon, however, is happily basking in the sun and enjoying the heat.

DeeDe99
12-21-15, 05:12 PM
He he he Anaghasaki! I am sure no passerby dragons will tattle, they are usually too preoccupied with dragon concerns to even pay the slightest attention to what we say! :)

Xyn25, I just noticed you are in Argentina! Our summer is still a bit up and down to be honest - we had a heat wave for two days, then I had to break out the winter dressing gown again! I don't have a Summer Solstice dragon yet, will have to wait for the northern summer I suppose.

Dragons on these southern isles really like BBQ apples, don't you think? Only problem is cleaning the sand out of Gilded Knight's and Crusader's armor after every beach trip. Not to mention the rust risk.

Xyn25
12-21-15, 06:48 PM
He he he Anaghasaki! I am sure no passerby dragons will tattle, they are usually too preoccupied with dragon concerns to even pay the slightest attention to what we say! :)

Xyn25, I just noticed you are in Argentina! Our summer is still a bit up and down to be honest - we had a heat wave for two days, then I had to break out the winter dressing gown again! I don't have a Summer Solstice dragon yet, will have to wait for the northern summer I suppose.

Dragons on these southern isles really like BBQ apples, don't you think? Only problem is cleaning the sand out of Gilded Knight's and Crusader's armor after every beach trip. Not to mention the rust risk.

Our summer is in full swing! Thankfully not too hot yet, but we've been having steady 30?C max almost everyday for like two weeks now.
I got Summer Solstice on the wheel last July, sadly no Winter Solstice for me.
Oh and BBQ apples are a huge hit in my island! Fire's hobby is making the babies' jaws drop by cooking the apples to perfection with a single flame burst :D

Dragosle
12-23-15, 11:19 PM
An interesting story as always DeeDe! :o

But I'm curious that what exactly this one is about? The feeling of Nouveau on something abnormal (for her at least)?

And will it continue? After reading this, I got a very... odd feeling. It's like the story opens up a hole and then just leaves it there.

DeeDe99
12-23-15, 11:56 PM
I am sorry Dragosle. I wrote these as just short amusements, diversions from the rigors of trying to breed Future dragons and level 20 opponents!

But it seems people want to know what happens next. I've not done story arcs or characters profiles or anything, these are just little cameos that pop into my head, so I share them.

Perhaps I'd better stop, as I don't want people left hanging unnecessarily!

As to what it was about, it was driven by my frustration over all the white Christmas stuff! LOL I want a Christmas-less Winter habitat for Ice Queen, Avalanche, Black Ice etc - no pressies or Santa hats! On the other hand I want a SUMMER Christmas habitat for any Christmas dragons I get (not looking likely at this point, I have to say, not this year anyway! well aside from the Event ones, but no Tinsel or Christmas Tree dragons! ).

We swelter in 100 + F days over the Christmas period, more in Feb/March. Today it is a lowly 94.5 F at 6 pm, or 34.7 in our scale of Celsius.

Dragosle
12-24-15, 01:24 AM
I am sorry Dragosle. I wrote these as just short amusements, diversions from the rigors of trying to breed Future dragons and level 20 opponents!

But it seems people want to know what happens next. I've not done story arcs or characters profiles or anything, these are just little cameos that pop into my head, so I share them.

Perhaps I'd better stop, as I don't want people left hanging unnecessarily!

As to what it was about, it was driven by my frustration over all the white Christmas stuff! LOL I want a Christmas-less Winter habitat for Ice Queen, Avalanche, Black Ice etc - no pressies or Santa hats! On the other hand I want a SUMMER Christmas habitat for any Christmas dragons I get (not looking likely at this point, I have to say, not this year anyway! well aside from the Event ones, but no Tinsel or Christmas Tree dragons! ).

We swelter in 100 + F days over the Christmas period, more in Feb/March. Today it is a lowly 94.5 F at 6 pm, or 34.7 in our scale of Celsius.

Haha, even if that was the case, it's fine. I don't mind if it just a little writing for amusement, your funny writing is what matter here. So don't stop your writing and imagination; just be sure to put in in some clarification on your next work for readers (like me) to know if they should expect a continuation or not. :D

As for white Christmas, you're not alone. Judging from I you've said, I believe that Christmas comes in summer at your place. Well. for me it's winter for Christmas, but a bit of chilly windy is the best I could ask for "winter" at my place.

And as for DS, all I want for this Christmas was the Poinsettia dragon from the last spin wheel, which was of course never came. And now I'm struggling to get Jingle Bell before it expires XD

FlatFoot
12-26-15, 08:35 AM
The bookkeeping is horrendous and not something that comes naturally to dragons.

Hmmm... Book Keeper Dragon.... hahaha ;P

DeeDe99
12-27-15, 04:01 AM
Hmmm... Book Keeper Dragon.... hahaha ;P

LOL - the mind boggles, Hanezking! Besides, where would you stop? Engineer Dragon, Accountant Dragon, Software Developer Dragon..... Nurse Dragon?

Kangaroo Dragon could be cool though! :)