PDA

View Full Version : Deleting from Storage - pros & cons (Elsa?)

DeeDe99
11-17-15, 06:10 PM
I am only level 100 and already I am bothered by the inability to delete unused items from storage. I notice on my Android device (Galaxy S6 phone) storage is almost impossible to use due to slow response, although on the iPad it is still absolutely fine.

From the player's perspective, it is annoying to have all these unused materials in storage. And I can see it will get worse: I have crafted Pearl Dragon - what do I do with white gems from now on, other than a few that may get used in Dragon Tales from time to time. Ditto Amethyst, Emerald (although I still need emeralds to craft Spell Scrolls for the others).

Issues for players:

Clutter (i.e. hard to find things)
Response time lag - this is more of an issue on some devices than others, from what I hear from various players and my own device comparisons

Potentially the ever growing storage causes a wider response time issue in the game generally, not just in the storage module.

Now, from the Storm8 side of the equation, given data storage is so relatively cheap these days the ever growing number of records in the database is probably not a cost issue for them.

I can see that if Storm8 implemented a delete function for players their support desk would light up with new cases from players accidentally deleting stuff, or deleting the wrong stuff. Just look at the complaints relating to accidentally spending gold and apply that to a delete button in storage. Two minutes from crafting that mining dragon and poof, gone. Can you imagine the uproar? Better to just leave it all there rather that to have to deal with the increased support traffic.

The best solution I can think of would be for Storm8 to periodically, perhaps monthly, cleanse storage of items that will not be used again. For example, the Chandelier Crystals of which I have 69. The Jigsaw pieces. I am sure long term players have a list a mile long.

There could be an "Archive" tab in storage and players could move items to the archive, a bit like moving stuff to history tables in a transactional database. Then it would only need to be drawn from the server if accessed.

I really don't have a specific answer, I can see the issues that would arise from adding a delete function, but even so this is a growing problem that it would be better to tackle sooner rather than later.

Thoughts, folks? Players and Storm 8 staff, please contribute!

lady_saphira
11-17-15, 07:59 PM
It wouldn't be as big an issue if there was a confirm button before actualy deleting. I do like the idea of a monthly sweep of extra pieces being automatically deleted. Or say a week or two after certain dragons expire, just a mass sweep of leftover pieces.

devlinholics
11-17-15, 10:32 PM
Do it like RS2... When event items comes out say sweet candy there is a small icon says 14days so it expire n disappear.

But since this is DS, it be tedious for admin to calculate or input 38days etc & players might not spend gold less profit for S8

My solution or suggestion.
Whenever the event is ending or ended, the LAST 7days say sweet candy gets a small icon above saying prompting 7days so it be expire n disappear. Meaning for example you have 500 sweet candy, u can only craft 4 sweet tooth since each of them takes 2days... As Long as we craft the dragon/item before it expire we are good... If u want the 5th dragon I Guess u need to spend gold to speed up the time.

Jrod333
11-17-15, 11:17 PM
I am only level 100 and already I am bothered by the inability to delete unused items from storage. I notice on my Android device (Galaxy S6 phone) storage is almost impossible to use due to slow response, although on the iPad it is still absolutely fine.

From the player's perspective, it is annoying to have all these unused materials in storage. And I can see it will get worse: I have crafted Pearl Dragon - what do I do with white gems from now on, other than a few that may get used in Dragon Tales from time to time. Ditto Amethyst, Emerald (although I still need emeralds to craft Spell Scrolls for the others).

Issues for players:

Response time lag - this is more of an issue on some devices than others, from what I hear from various players and my own device comparisons

Potentially the ever growing storage causes a wider response time issue in the game generally, not just in the storage module.

Now, from the Storm8 side of the equation, given data storage is so relatively cheap these days the ever growing number of records in the database is probably not a cost issue for them.

I can see that if Storm8 implemented a delete function for players their support desk would light up with new cases from players accidentally deleting stuff, or deleting the wrong stuff. Just look at the complaints relating to accidentally spending gold and apply that to a delete button in storage. Two minutes from crafting that mining dragon and poof, gone. Can you imagine the uproar? Better to just leave it all there rather that to have to deal with the increased support traffic.

The best solution I can think of would be for Storm8 to periodically, perhaps monthly, cleanse storage of items that will not be used again. For example, the Chandelier Crystals of which I have 69. The Jigsaw peices. I am sure long term players have a list a mile long.

There could be an "Archive" tab in storage and players could move items to the archive, a bit like moving stuff to history tales in a transactional database. Then it would only need to be drawn from the server if accessed.

I really don't have a specific answer, I can see the issues that would arise from adding a delete function, but even so this is a growing problem that it would be better to tackle sooner rather than later.

They really need to just fix the painfully slow response for opening storage and other pop-ups and lists and the terrible choppy non smooth scrolling. Opening storage and button presses and list scrolling should be instant and scrolling should be butter smooth on a galaxy s6, as should it in my htc one m9. These aren't Droid 1s we're using here, they are latest android powerhouses and these are things of the past with other apps but not for this app yet. Maybe if they actually fix it instead of constantly poring new dragons into the game. Anyway to me these items in storage are not an issue, just the slow response and choppy scrolling are and should not even be there anymore. I know I'm blunt about things but I really want to see this app do well, and I'm sure you know every other apk on your s6 lists scroll perfectly and confirm or opening tabs instant

DeeDe99
11-17-15, 11:44 PM
They really need to just fix the painfully slow response for opening storage and other pop-ups and lists and the terrible choppy non smooth scrolling. Opening storage and button presses and list scrolling should be instant and scrolling should be butter smooth on a galaxy s6, as should it in my htc one m9. These aren't Droid 1s we're using here, they are latest android powerhouses and these are things of the past with other apps but not for this app yet. Maybe if they actually fix it instead of constantly poring new dragons into the game. Anyway to me these items in storage are not an issue, just the slow response and choppy scrolling are and should not even be there anymore. I know I'm blunt about things but I really want to see this app do well, and I'm sure you know every other apk on your s6 lists scroll perfectly and confirm or opening tabs instant

I gave up using this on my S6 long ago - I just stick to the iPad for anything to do with storage - I cannot use the storage feature on my S6 at all, way too annoying.

Even so, I personally hate clutter, so obsolete stuff hanging around is annoying in and of itself, irrespective of the impact on response.

I also can't comment on other games on the S6 in comparison - I really only play one game - this one! Certainly my contacts etc scroll without any issue.

Dragosle
11-18-15, 07:44 AM
Well with the latest update on the original app for DS in Google Store, the storage it much smoother to use now (you still got a bit of freeze frame time when you first enter it from the island though). It also help if you use a strong device. If you still have the Halloween version installed you can make comparison on this.

The bad thing is, yeah, they decided to make in-game ad pop-up, which is way too often that it feels really annoying. But I mean... they already make an balloon ship in-game that carry the ad image but they still go with the pop-up, it's so irritating and somewhat pointless :(

Jackiesq
11-18-15, 08:15 AM
I use the latest version 1.3.1.1g from original DS, and I use my newest tablet (Samsung SM T900 from work, becease my nearly 3 year old Samsung Note is useless for the game now). Storage isn't faster then before. Visiting neighbors closes the game about every 10 neighbors I think. Also we have the pop-ups... And because of all the pop-ups and the freeze time you click on something wrong very fast. And that means spending gold for something you don't need most of the time... :-/
Edit: 2.3.1.1.g it is

hiabarara
11-18-15, 08:28 AM

Oh man. Everytime I accidentally click at the Storage button I'm just so annoyed because I'll have to wait at least a full minute until it opens and then it's not even fully loaded, no. Scrolling through that thing is nearly impossible because it just takes so freaking long.
Thank God for the option to only show dragons in storage. I would probably go crazy if I had to scroll though all that junk to find my new dragon.

I mostly use a tablet and as you said, it's ridiculous that it takes so long to load for most people.
Maybe most people would even have less problems with crashes if S8 just deleted all that pointless stuff from time to time or let us delete it manually.

tl;dr I completely agree with you.

Dragosle
11-18-15, 08:30 AM
I use the latest version 1.3.1.1g from original DS, and I use my newest tablet (Samsung SM T900 from work, becease my nearly 3 year old Samsung Note is useless for the game now). Storage isn't faster then before. Visiting neighbors closes the game about every 10 neighbors I think. Also we have the pop-ups... And because of all the pop-ups and the freeze time you click on something wrong very fast. And that means spending gold for something you don't need most of the time... :-/

Huh? I think you mean version 2.3.1.1g right cause that what it show on my tab. But really, the app run much faster on my device after the update.

Jackiesq
11-18-15, 09:47 AM
Sorry yes 2.3.1.1.g it is. But not faster, only more game closings... :-(

hiabarara
11-18-15, 09:56 AM
Huh? I think you mean version 2.3.1.1g right cause that what it show on my tab. But really, the app run much faster on my device after the update.
Seriously? Well, you're the first one I've heard that from. Either people don't notice a difference or they have the same problem I have - We can barely play it anymore because it crashes so badly and so often. (I have to play the Halloween version or use my SO's phone because I can't even open the normal version after the latest update.)

Jackiesq
11-18-15, 09:57 AM
Scrolling takes at least a minute time! If the newest items show at first in the storage we need less scrolling. So that will helps a little bit too... But if we can't re-use the parts please delete them after the dragon has expired.

ndtrance
11-18-15, 10:13 AM
Oh man. Everytime I accidentally click at the Storage button I'm just so annoyed because I'll have to wait at least a full minute until it opens and then it's not even fully loaded, no. Scrolling through that thing is nearly impossible because it just takes so freaking long.
Thank God for the option to only show dragons in storage. I would probably go crazy if I had to scroll though all that junk to find my new dragon.

I mostly use a tablet and as you said, it's ridiculous that it takes so long to load for most people.
Maybe most people would even have less problems with crashes if S8 just deleted all that pointless stuff from time to time or let us delete it manually.

tl;dr I completely agree with you.

When I hit the button by accident, I force close the game and start all over. With the long wait and the lagginess I'm too scared I'll tap the screen and lose gold somehow, or nest a dragon by accident (have done this before).

I don't mind the extra parts in storage though I avoid them when I can by not mining or battling once I've crafted. Storage wouldn't be so bad if weren't so slow and laggy, because once you access it you can click on the tab you need. The only time you actually need to scroll the whole thing is during world events to find the first prize. I would like to see S8 do more Venetian dragon like events in the future or come up with other creative uses for the extra parts.

hiabarara
11-18-15, 11:01 AM
would like to see S8 do more Venetian dragon like events in the future or come up with other creative uses for the extra parts.
Let's make a Frakenstein's Monster dragon where we use all our leftover pieces :D Bow from the Sweet Tooth, a second head from Azurite, tail from Basilisk, wings from Crystal etc :D

TwiWoods
11-18-15, 11:04 AM
It must be the hoarder in me, but I like the items in storage- I consider them souvenirs. Unless S8 wants to convert them to gold, I'd rather they stay.

It would be nice if there was an option for those that don't want to keep them.

freshfunin2008
11-18-15, 12:26 PM
This has been a long term issue just like the animated dragons causing lag for many users on older systems. If TL could fix it.... I am sure they would. We are still waiting.

DeeDe99
11-18-15, 12:56 PM
There has been an Android update? I haven't noticed any difference on my Galaxy S6, not that I play on it much, usually on the iPad.

As stated above, I NEVER risk going into Storage on the S6. Not ever.

My question is why is there such a dramatic difference between iOS and Android? The back end database is the same, so it must be the app. Or are iPhones as bad, not all iOS devices are better?

zyfazix
11-18-15, 12:59 PM
Perhaps extra pieces could be converted to Leftover pieces to craft a Mouldy dragon that looks like a piece of cheese that's been in the fridge for too long ;)
Or just put them in a separate category or hide the trash altogether. Don't show us what we can't use

roguebee
11-18-15, 04:08 PM
I would be content if the newer stuff appeared at the top of storage and the older parts just drifted to the bottom.

mylord7
11-18-15, 07:29 PM
I came to the forum to post that the new android version (2.3.1.1.g) causes numerous crashes and even worse devices' restarts (i have never faced such problems in the past) and surprisingly i didn't find any similar reports in the bug section, but only in this thread! :confused:
So, if noone reports this severe bug, how would we hope that teamlava will fix it with a new better version?

By the way, i am completely agree with the storage problem that is mentioning here and i am sorry that i high-jacked the thread! :cool:

Dragosle
11-19-15, 07:00 AM
This is really strange.

After looking through this thread I went back and check with other Android devices in my house and find running DS on those are indeed not in a good condition. The frame outside the island is much as same as the Halloween version, the storage is pretty close like what everyone had described here. The force-close and restart issue seem to happen depend on the device though (tend to happen more often the older the device is). But it seem that only my currently use tab is running faster with the new DS :eek:

Also, there's a weird visual bug where if you use a dragon to battle in Arena, sometimes after the battle that Dragon is place far outside of the habitat it is in. Then that will slowly walk back toward its habitat until it got inside its habitat again. This also happened with my fast-DS-running device :p

DeeDe99
11-19-15, 09:32 PM
Also, there's a weird visual bug where if you use a dragon to battle in Arena, sometimes after the battle that Dragon is place far outside of the habitat it is in. Then that will slowly walk back toward its habitat until it got inside its habitat again. This also happened with my fast-DS-running device :p

Dragosie, that wandering back to the habitat after a battle thing is not Android specific. I first noticed it on my iPad. Thought Lightning was going to fall into the sea after one of his wins yesterday!

Crusader walked from the pool to his habitat this morning. I'm not sure if it is an intentional attempt at humour by the developers!

DeeDe99
11-19-15, 09:35 PM
I came to the forum to post that the new android version (2.3.1.1.g) causes numerous crashes and even worse devices' restarts (i have never faced such problems in the past) and surprisingly i didn't find any similar reports in the bug section, but only in this thread! :confused:
So, if noone reports this severe bug, how would we hope that teamlava will fix it with a new better version?

By the way, i am completely agree with the storage problem that is mentioning here and i am sorry that i high-jacked the thread! :cool:

No problems re hi-jacking, but I do suggest you submit a problem report to support@storm8.com re the crashing etc with the update.

Simdiva
11-20-15, 09:31 PM
I could test on my iPhone but it's a 5s so painfully small screen, which would tell you for sure if this is a problem isolated to android. If it is that may explain why it has taken so long for android to get things like tales etc.

kooky panda
11-21-15, 12:36 PM

Issues for players:

The best solution I can think of would be for Storm8 to periodically, perhaps monthly, cleanse storage of items that will not be used again. For example, the Chandelier Crystals of which I have 69. The Jigsaw pieces. I am sure long term players have a list a mile long.

There could be an "Archive" tab in storage and players could move items to the archive, a bit like moving stuff to history tables in a transactional database. Then it would only need to be drawn from the server if accessed.

Lets keep the thread on topic. Above is a remember of what this thread is discussing.

Thanks!

DeeDe99
11-22-15, 07:38 PM
Thanks Kooky!

Simdiva, I already play the game on both my Android and an iPad. In my experience the slow Storage response is definitely an Android only issue - absolutely no problems at all on the iPad, other than the clutter aspect.

For those wondering, yes, it is the exact same game/account I play on both devices. Usually I just collect coins on the android and do important stuff like breeding and battling on the iPad.

Seems the consensus is as follows:

a) Players would like a regular clean out by Storm8 of obsolete parts
b) Players would like to know if parts will ever be reused (the runestones are a classic example right now)

I understand that for some parts, planned for a future surprise, telling players would not be at all appropriate (maybe the runestones), but the Chandelier Crystals and the Jigsaw parts - they seem rather dragon specific and reuse seems unlikely (as examples).

Noted at least one player likes the souvenir aspect of the unused parts - so perhaps it could be possible to opt in or opt out of a storage cleanup routine.

Jrod333
11-23-15, 01:28 AM
Thanks Kooky!

Simdiva, I already play the game on both my Android and an iPad. In my experience the slow Storage response is definitely an Android only issue - absolutely no problems at all on the iPad, other than the clutter aspect.

For those wondering, yes, it is the exact same game/account I play on both devices. Usually I just collect coins on the android and do important stuff like breeding and battling on the iPad.

Seems the consensus is as follows:

a) Players would like a regular clean out by Storm8 of obsolete parts
b) Players would like to know if parts will ever be reused (the runestones are a classic example right now)

I understand that for some parts, planned for a future surprise, telling players would not be at all appropriate (maybe the runestones), but the Chandelier Crystals and the Jigsaw parts - they seem rather dragon specific and reuse seems unlikely (as examples).

Noted at least one player likes the souvenir aspect of the unused parts - so perhaps it could be possible to opt in or opt out of a storage cleanup routine.

Make that at least 2. I purposely collect extra of everything, just to keep as souvenirs too. I never stay in the all tab anyway, so I don't care how many end up there. Actually I might if the scrolling was smooth like on ios. That is my concern, the lag and it can't be blamed because of Android, it can absolutely be fixed and would if they actually worked on fixing it, but they're always designing and pushing dragons

DeeDe99
11-23-15, 02:08 AM
Make that at least 2. I purposely collect extra of everything, just to keep as souvenirs too. I never stay in the all tab anyway, so I don't care how many end up there. Actually I might if the scrolling was smooth like on ios. That is my concern, the lag and it can't be blamed because of Android, it can absolutely be fixed and would if they actually worked on fixing it, but they're always designing and pushing dragons

I can't help wondering if the lag on Android is to do with the database design. It would have been optimised for iOS as it came first, which may not be the best optimisation for Android. Clearly it is the same DB otherwise we wouldn't be able to swap between device platforms.

Really curious why there is a problem on android but not iOS from a technical perspective.

pernmagic
11-23-15, 03:29 AM
My way of keeping my storage as low as possible is to sell all repeat dragons as soon as hatched that way I don't waste food raising them to L3 to exchange for crystals and I don't over load my storage anymore than necessary .... And I have 99% of the crafting dragons anyway so do not need the crystals I'm on IOS and so far don't have any of the problems others are having
Might help some maybe :)

DeeDe99
11-23-15, 04:07 AM
Hi Pernmagic, the Storage lag is Android only, at the moment anyway :)

Good tips though!

anaghasaki
11-23-15, 08:04 AM
The delete option would really be nice.. but I agree it should be optional to each player.. there are those who do like to keep some extra parts for memory.. I really like the chandelier crystals.. they are very nice.. but would definitely like to clear away many other things.. also the storage lag is really irritating.. I play on android and I have to wait two whole minutes to open it.. if at all I have to check how many pieces I have so far, I rather go to crafting building.. and the lag is not only for storage but also for gifting and requesting.. every time I want to gift, the first time I try to select three neighbours, after two, for the third one it says you can only gift three more times today.. I have to click ok, then close the gifting window, open again and then select three.. same with requesting.. after I select four neighbours to request, when I click the fifth, all the previous three except storm 8 gets automatically deselected.. and if I still proceed without those three, half of my neighbours don't get the request.. the message says you have already requested these neighbours.. I have to close that window also and again open it and then select everyone and then request.. I was thinking this is my own peculiar problem, now I get it that the lag is for all the android players.. storm 8 previously solved the recurring old goals problem, if they can fix this also it would be really nice

[S8] Elsa
11-23-15, 03:53 PM
We can share the feedback. The concern for me would be that Dragon pieces (99/200 respectively) take hard work to earn. If you accidentally delete it, it can't be reversed. Sometimes we bring those Dragons back. So if you hang onto your pieces, you may have the chance to craft the Dragon again. If you delete it and a week later the Dragon comes back, you're going to be really sad. :(

If it's becoming a performance issue for you, please let me know. :)

DeeDe99
11-23-15, 04:01 PM
Thank you very much Elsa, for responding.

Yes, I was well aware of the potential support issues from a delete feature which I highlighted in my initial post. The returning possibility is interesting. :)

Android DEFINITELY has a storage response problem, and there isn't even much in my storage (check my account). But I will not/cannot go into storage on my Galaxy S6 (not exactly an old phone). Only ever go into storage on the iPad.

Happy to run any comparison timing tests if you want, but assume you have all the devices to hand! :)

papalove1
07-22-16, 06:34 AM
Hate to bring this subject up again, but will there ever be a way to get rid of all the old unusable junk in storage?
It's really ****ing the performance, especially on Android. It's takes sooo long to load when opening it initially..
The game overall eats a lot of resources, I think this would be a step in the right direction to help trim it down..
Thanks