PDA

View Full Version : Habitat Planning

DeeDe99
09-25-15, 09:48 PM
Ever hatched a dragon and realised "Oooops - no habitat space"? Yes, me too.

Then many of the habitats require construction time - a LOT of hours in some cases, unless you happen to have a spare 500 Gold lying around to buy a 4 dragon habitat with no construction time.

I'm keeping a spreadsheet of my habitats, what they can hold (number and type) and conditionally format the "Number of inhabitants" column so free spaces jump out at me. I have no idea how the level 150 people cope keeping track of 140 habitats!

Right now I have land freeing up for two new habitats. What to buy, or do I wait? But if I wait the construction time might bite me. As yet I have no Metal, Tropic, Zodiac or Gemstone dragons but I have been trying for Leo. Do I bother getting a habitat in the hope of striking it lucky on the Breeding Den (but risk using valuable land for an empty habitat) or wait until there is a successful mating and then buy, leaving my land free in the meantime?

Then again, I need more housing for more regular dragons. I have free room for 1 Green, 1 White, 1 Purple, 1 Rainbow, 1 Champion and 1 slot free on a black/purple/green habitat - with Lotus coming in mere days. Yes, this gives me some juggle ability.

Maybe I should get a Black Sands for Lotus and Night and free up the tri-colour habitat. The possibilities are endless really!

My head is spinning. Getting the dragons you want isn't the only complication - finding them accommodation and keeping ahead of the hatching - that takes work! ;)

Then we have Dragon Tales happening and that seems to have a lot of red floating around......

MaribouMay
09-25-15, 10:03 PM
If you have the space and the coins I say go for it. Once I got to the point where I had enough coins, I did buy some habitats before I had dragons to live in them. I still have an empty Tropic habitat and it has been that way for a year or so. I was about to delete it recently when the habitat limit was raised. It seems that I never try for Tropic.

I have 143 habitats and I don't track who is in each habitat. I have a sense for where I have space and start shuffling every time I have a new egg on the nest. I do have some duplicates hanging around to trade for random Dragon Tales crafting. I sometimes have to sell off a duplicate to make room.

DeeDe99
09-25-15, 10:38 PM
MaribouMay, I think I must be running behind schedule somehow. My Island Overview screen says I can have 54 habitats. I have a whole 26 (with two more coming this weekend).

I have the coins - well, I HAD the coins until Dragon Tales started (I'm not starting yet, still deciding). Now I'm not so sure because those Dragon Tales, they eat coins like there is no tomorrow for food production. I really, really, really want to get Warrior Prince and Crusader to epic - I was happy to not breed or do anything else until I achieved that.

Plus I'm very short of decoration and relaxation space for the dragons. *Grin* They need more play space - maybe they'd perform better in the Arena if they had more leisure activities.

I want to do Dragon Tales. No, I don't want to, yes, I do, no I don't, yes I do, no I don't........ Arrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Candy Crush was much less stressful!

tify74
09-26-15, 05:10 AM
Do u have more than 1 nest? If u dont, I think maybe u should consider one more, before thinking of "what if" habitats. It doesnt only help if u accidently breed something u do not have a habitat for, but also if u get a stroke of luck and breed a diamond or a long incubation fail.

In my experience the unintentional breeds (that u need habitats for) is gemstone, rainbow and metals, but since that is different for everyone, I would go for the extra nest, and make habitats I know I need (preferably high coins ones, white, black and pink).

DeeDe99
09-26-15, 05:17 AM
thanks Tify74. I already have 3 nests, no intention of buying a fourth unless we get a second evolution temple.

I wrote the original post more as entertainment than anything else. We get so wrapped up in the dragon side of it, I'd hoped to make a few people smile.

pernmagic
09-26-15, 05:28 AM
Had a smile about L150 players keeping track :) we don't always sometimes I get caught out ..... It's taken 18 months to breed a tropic, a year to get my two zodiacs ..... Still can't get any fairy ..... My way out is to buy a multi coloured 4 dragon habitat when at lowest initial sale price as a safeguard, I do have a stable which I use in emergency situations to stuff any dragon in so I can temporarily home a newly hatched egg on its own colour home till I can sort it out BUT the stable takes a lot of room ...... So not a perfect solution ....... I can't waste space for playgrounds for my hard done by dragons :(
Gets complicated sometimes doesn't it :) :) Have fun deciding

tify74
09-26-15, 05:49 AM
thanks Tify74. I already have 3 nests, no intention of buying a fourth unless we get a second evolution temple.

I wrote the original post more as entertainment than anything else. We get so wrapped up in the dragon side of it, I'd hoped to make a few people smile.

Then I dont think u r behind at all, but What do I know :rolleyes:. If anybody knew me I would be imfamous for being disorganised. No spreadsheet, not even sure I know how to read one (to old to have learned in school). I have 7 accounts, 3 of which I play actively. My main restaurant is on this account, but somehow I managed to get my main dragonstory on my second account. There I recently dinged 150, never have enough coins, only 1 lvl 15 (fire), and never even been close to the habitat limit or fully expanded.
To top it all of, dragonstory was one of the main reasons I actually bought an ipad (cant say I am a fan), luckily they r pretty caught up on android now, so I wont have to buy another.

DeeDe99
09-26-15, 06:08 AM
Huh! Snap! dragon Story was also the reason I bought an iPad! Wonder if Apple Pay S8 commission?

Never too old to learn spreadsheets!

Seven accounts? Oh my -I struggle with one!

DeeDe99
09-26-15, 06:10 AM
Oh yes Pern, I use my stable the same way! Pity about the space, I agree, but so useful sometimes!

ndtrance
09-26-15, 07:37 AM
Well I'm a level 150 player who still messes up lol. I breed a new dragon and get excited about it. I always know what my dragons are when I see the timer. I get even more excited when I see the egg. And when I hatch the egg the game brings me back to reality to tell me that my dragon is homeless. A lot of times my eggs sit around for a few days so I could have made 4 or 5 habitats in that time span lol. So I have to either scramble to by red and green habitats to temporarily relocate dragons or I just have to wait for the smaller version of the needed habitat to be built.

I used to be so much better at this and was always careful about breeding and making sure my babies had homes.

DeeDe99
09-27-15, 03:18 AM
NdTrance - I "fiddle" in Fantasy Forest Story from time to time - I followed one of their goal instructions and bred a new type for which I had no habitat - AND no coins to buy one. So the egg sat there for about 2 days until I accumulated enough. The poor couple in the breeding den thingy also had to wait...and wait....

I only fiddle in FFS - not serious like I am with with DS! LOL