PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on gems?

janddolphins
09-12-15, 07:53 PM
I was just curious as I see some players gem through quests so fast or have soooo many Alicorns and the such how much they spend on gems.

I once spent about $20 last year, it got me a couple things I wanted and was a purchase I don't regret. But I can't imagine how much more it must be for others to be where they are and the kingdoms are amazing.

I cannot wait for a gem confirmation (yes I'm hopelessly optimistic) to buy some more gems as I'm all for supporting free games. I will be going in the hospital again soon for a serious procedure and games like this help pass the time for me so I am grateful to S8 especially for that more than they may realize as their games can help people like me escape even if for a moment.

Sorry if this question is against rules I am just curious how much it costs to maintain such a style of playing as I am in awe of some of you!

Ps, not trying to make this a post about not spending gems until confirmation, this is for those who do, as I may again soon to show appreciation when I go in the hospital (although I'll be sure to spend them fast! Lol)

CLOVERKAITO
09-12-15, 10:24 PM
I have only spent about $1.30 CAD once. That's it. I'd buy more but not until a gem confirmation feature is added.

mikado86
09-13-15, 02:43 AM
I once bough a .99 USD offer, so I guess I have spent .99 USD, I still manage to get my hands on gems with my dragons and adventures and I buy almost every thing TL creates as a way to support them, even some of those useless baron tend prizes, anyways, its entirely possible to have a successful looking kingdom and not spend over 1 buck

janddolphins
09-13-15, 06:55 AM
I once bough a .99 USD offer, so I guess I have spent .99 USD, I still manage to get my hands on gems with my dragons and adventures and I buy almost every thing TL creates as a way to support them, even some of those useless baron tend prizes, anyways, its entirely possible to have a successful looking kingdom and not spend over 1 buck

I've been playing 2 years or so, level 50 for a long time so as you have managed to get gems various ways and I love my kingdom. I by no means meant you can't have a successful one without gems, I just meant some with gems are very impressive and I am curious about the style of play for those players who clearly have spent on gems.

meme1098
09-13-15, 08:44 AM
I haven't actually spent 'real' money since I use the rewards from my credit card to buy ITunes cards. S8 still gets some money but it essentially costs me nothing. :)

jim23cash
09-13-15, 11:04 AM
I actually spend money regularly in CS. I use it to buy things like Maple Trees, Living Wood trees and special things like that mostly, but I do spend it on random things, too, like speeding something up. I also bought 4 Apple trees, and one each of the lemon and orange trees... But now I have an orchard from questing! And I bought animals... I think the sheep all cost gems, but I'm not positive. But I only bought small amounts of them, the huge herds I have now came from... Questing! After playing for so long, the rare questing gifts add up. I do 1 1/2 quest every day... So every other day I get 2 quests returning. That increases the odds for a gift box. (And usually adds to my bench collection!)
I thought it was funny that you brought up the Alicorns as a sign of spending money; almost all of mine are from questing. I think I bought one of the Pink ones, or "PAli" after that adventure line ended, and I may have bought a horn to create one of my first Ali's... I'm not sure. I have one "WAli" or Wedding Alicorn, and the rest I got the parts from questing, and made them in "The Love Shack".
I'm chronically ill, and spend lots of time playing. This is my entertainment budget, and it adds to the game for me. I acknowledge that a confirmation message before spending gems would be nice. I don't see any clear signs it's gonna happen, tho. I just try to go slower, and if I gem something accidentally, I just count it as part of the cost of playing. It makes me less upset that way.
Hope your hospital stay goes well! Take Care! Annie :D

zyfazix
09-13-15, 11:18 AM
As a base rule I don't spend any money until the differences between Android and iOS are lifted and a confirmation is added. Might be a while until I spend money on any Storm8 games

janddolphins
09-13-15, 12:46 PM
I actually spend money regularly in CS. I use it to buy things like Maple Trees, Living Wood trees and special things like that mostly, but I do spend it on random things, too, like speeding something up. I also bought 4 Apple trees, and one each of the lemon and orange trees... But now I have an orchard from questing! And I bought animals... I think the sheep all cost gems, but I'm not positive. But I only bought small amounts of them, the huge herds I have now came from... Questing! After playing for so long, the rare questing gifts add up. I do 1 1/2 quest every day... So every other day I get 2 quests returning. That increases the odds for a gift box. (And usually adds to my bench collection!)
I thought it was funny that you brought up the Alicorns as a sign of spending money; almost all of mine are from questing. I think I bought one of the Pink ones, or "PAli" after that adventure line ended, and I may have bought a horn to create one of my first Ali's... I'm not sure. I have one "WAli" or Wedding Alicorn, and the rest I got the parts from questing, and made them in "The Love Shack".
I'm chronically ill, and spend lots of time playing. This is my entertainment budget, and it adds to the game for me. I acknowledge that a confirmation message before spending gems would be nice. I don't see any clear signs it's gonna happen, tho. I just try to go slower, and if I gem something accidentally, I just count it as part of the cost of playing. It makes me less upset that way.
Hope your hospital stay goes well! Take Care! Annie :D

Ah I didn't realize you could get so many alicorns from quests, that makes sense then. I always assumed love shack allowed people to accumulate them very slowly so they only would have a couple. Sadly I started playing after love shack and missed it. I do have the two other special ones though.

Seems you and I are in the same boat in terms of this game being entertainment while Ill. I wish you the best :) I will probably make a purchase again if there is something interesting that comes up in the next 2-3 months as I will most likely be going through treatment then and this game is always something to cheer me up...even if I get frustrated with quests lol

dragon2046
09-15-15, 06:08 AM
Omg just looked at purchase history in App Store added it up and scared myself. I need a new hobby. Lol any suggestions ?? Clearly I purchase gems regularly. :) I do enjoy my S8 games it's what I spend my fun money on, but I'm thinking I may need to have a little less fun! :|

janddolphins
09-15-15, 07:10 AM
I've seen people mention earning iTunes cards over the years, I used to do that a few years ago with an app but it no longer pays well. trying to find some Reliable apps for it again :)

And dragon, I'm happy you are having fun with the games, nothing wrong with games being where your entertainment money goes in my opinion :)

midgetsocks
09-15-15, 08:40 AM
In the beginning I used to buy the starter packs, thought they were pretty neat, maybe the 120 gem purchase every so often. Then I realized I was going to be a daily player, somewhere around level 30, and that if I wanted to purchase things it would be more cost effective to buy them in bulk. So now I get the larger 1400 gem pack, when I get down to 200 or so I get another one. Then I wait for something that I think will be worthwhile to spend them on, but no I don't tend to gem through quests. But sometimes gemming makes sense, it depends. I've gone for months sometimes not spending gems, it depends what's on offer.

janddolphins
09-22-15, 03:25 AM
I also used to earn iTunes cards but can't find a reliable app that takes a reasonable amount of time.

For those interested in costs, another palaver mentioned to me that during gem sale they can get 7 alicorn for $70, so this just helps as a reference point. I won't put name as I know some people don't want to share on forums how much they spend.

Again though I created this as a non judgement thread to get an idea of different playing styles including those who choose to use their money.

I'm too afraid to buy gems and hold them for risk of losing but if something comes up that I want I may just get gems right away at that point. I win by spending gems on what intend losing fewer by mistake and it shows gratitude to S8 as lately the game has been great with main storyline and giving me something to do when sick. So happy to have a new strategy now :)

robotparade
09-23-15, 08:12 AM
I actually spend money regularly in CS...I'm chronically ill, and spend lots of time playing. This is my entertainment budget, and it adds to the game for me. I acknowledge that a confirmation message before spending gems would be nice. I don't see any clear signs it's gonna happen, tho. I just try to go slower, and if I gem something accidentally, I just count it as part of the cost of playing.

Same here! I figure I don't spend money on purses, shoes, etc and my husband spends money on video games or computer games, so it is my "fun" budget. But I *only* buy gems when there is a sale!

janddolphins
09-25-15, 07:02 PM
Glad to know I am not the only one who considers playing games, whether here or elsewhere part of their "fun" budget haha