PDA

View Full Version : Stability issue: FFS freezes and then crashes when switching apps

ogreve
09-11-15, 01:14 PM
Hi,

Well... So much for me not experiencing many crashes....
Since around the time of today's update I'm having constant crashes in an odd way. I normally have FFS open all of the time and I can freely switch between apps, which is a thing I do a LOT for going to the forum, to my mail, to different games, etc.
Up until tonight I could always do this and when I returned to FFS everything was working as normal.
Well not so now, everything is fine as long a I stay in FFS but when I switch to a different app, do a few things there and then return to FFS the screen shows the last screen that I saw before switching away but it's completely "frozen" (ie nothing moves and nothing can be clicked). It stays a second or two like that and then the game crashes and exits and I find myself in the iPhone "home" screen with icons. When I then click on FFS again, the game restarts.
I tried clearing programs from memory and I a full power off but it doesn't help. The situation is very easy to reproduce and happens very often now, which is really annoying as it prevents me from playing the game the way I normally do.
Has anyone else also experienced this behaviour?

edit (KP) 9-17-15

Elsa;1175077']The issue in which players crash when resuming the game from multi-task has been resolved.

Edit(KP) Update 9-16-15

I am crashing back to my home screen on my iphone 6 plus.

They are currently working on this issue of crashing when switching games within the games.

++moved thread to Bug Forum++

Sandybellee
09-11-15, 01:18 PM
Yes, I have the exact same thing happening now after the update. I'm also on iPhone 6.

jim23cash
09-11-15, 01:20 PM
Hi Olafo,
Mine has not let me switch apps for some time now. It wants to reload every time you minimize it. Because it has so much to load, my device (iPad) can't handle the quick reload it does for just switching apps. I have to force close, uninstall, and reinstall every time I play. That is, if it doesn't crash while I'm playing! I only use this iPad for S8 games and forum, and I've deleted 4 or more S8 games and data, but it didn't change the crashing. It's been like this since update before the beach, for me.(and a few others). Annie :(

forestwald
09-11-15, 01:20 PM
I also have this problem. I now have to swipe up to close it out and then go back in. It wasn't like that before today's update.

RowanaFarrin
09-11-15, 01:21 PM
I actually experienced just about this exact same thing several times earlier this afternoon. I thought it was just because I was constantly checking to see if the update was up while it was trying to download the update or the like. As you did, I cleared out programs I didn't need running and did a restart. It seems to be working fine now since the restart, but if I notice the problem starting again, I will definately post it here!

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm using an ipad, as opposed to a phone.

Hope this clears up for you soon! I agree that it is very annoying not to be able to freely switch games.

Edit: Nope, it just did it again, oh well. :/

ninasidstorm8
09-11-15, 01:25 PM
I am also having the same issue on an iPad Air. I wasn't having any problems on my iPad Air until the update.

saucysammis
09-11-15, 01:27 PM
Also having freeze and quit or reload issue. iPad.

55lee55
09-11-15, 01:42 PM
Yes, this is a problem for me too. Does this mean that S8 has exceeded the graphic capability of this game and is taking care of those of us who have reached the limits of the game by dumping three quests at once on us, causing major crashes for even more people? Are we to blame for this widespread crashing now? Seems like an overload for those who are struggling to get the service dogs to throw both a tournament and another storybook at us when the other storybook is barely done with. What about those who haven't been playing for at least a year? Are they going to have a chance at any of these?

Seems releasing a solution for previous crashing and one for those whose forests are full would have been a more friendly move. All this appears to have done is crashed even more of our forests. I am not going to ask S8 for an answer here, because they don't seem to answer. I am going to send yet another email to support. Not that it does any better, but there is no discussion about it by those whose forests aren't affected yet. I just hope the crashing is not as widespread as I fear it is.

Crashes: iPad Retina since the update and iPad Mini since several days before the update.

ogreve
09-11-15, 02:26 PM
OK, so I'm not alone in this...
As paradoxical as it may sound, that's actually good news, as it means that TL is likely to hear this from MANY users which hopefully will result in a solution soon. I, for one, have just sent an email to support to inform them about it. It is my experience that it does wonders if each of you who experiences the same issues also reports it. That way TL can also see what the affected platforms are, and they can then also ask us for specific relevant details if they need that.

kokii123
09-11-15, 02:42 PM
I have the exact same thing happening now after the update. I'm also on iPhone 6.

sweethutch
09-11-15, 03:25 PM
Yep! It started for me with today's update on both my devices, neither had ever had crashing problems before. It's exactly how you described it, freezing screen and then crashing if I try to go out of ffs to the forum and then back in. This is what I've always done during tournaments to see what fighter I should select for the next round. Very frustrating! My main account is on a newer 32GB iPad Air and my second account is on an older iPad.

cocauina
09-11-15, 04:18 PM
Already sent an email to TL, since my iOS is 6.1, they told me to update my iOS, right, because that will solve my problem when another phone with iOS 8.4.1 the game crashes also. I have been having this crashes since the app was updated and the time bar from the The Arena desappeared on August 13, and TL still have not done anything.

So, just for your information, TL took 2 months and 2 weeks to update Restaurant Story 2. The game was crashing the same way has FFS is, since June 4, the update that solve the problem was released on August 17.

This is the real TL.

THEY REPLIED YEY

Saying this is an known issue, classy, guys, just wait for a solution that will take 2 months... Most likely

ninasidstorm8
09-11-15, 06:31 PM
I am not sure if S8 has done anything to address this issue but it seems that for the last hour or so I have not has the problem after experiencing it continuously since the update.

ogreve
09-11-15, 10:20 PM
I awoke early today and had a quick go at the tournament. I had fully expected to directly run into the same bug but instead it behaved like it normally does. I did just also try switching to Safari, reading some threads and returning to FFS (i.e. actiions that yesterday would have been WELL enough to trigger the bug) and again it worked as normal.
It may be a bit early to say this, but it does look like it has been fixed! :)
If so: thanks TL for that very quick action!

Then: what I suspect may have been the reason of the crashes, is that perhaps TL actually tried a different animation strategy for helping some of the really advanced players who experience other kinds of crashes due to memory issues. If so, they'll probably have reverted the change they made as it was now also causing all sorts of other crashes for even more players. I could be wrong of course and it could also have been an entirely different bug.

Bottomline: though the bug was very annoying it was apparently present on such a large scale (and easy enough to resolve) that it was dealt with quickly. I guess TL does often "listen" to us, but perhaps they just don't often "tell" us everything. At least the first half of that assumption is good news. :)
Now let's hope they'll also manage to find some good solutions for those who experience the memory issues and the habitats and expansion limitation related issues!

sweetdeda
09-12-15, 04:31 AM
Ogreve, this is one of the crash issues I've been having for weeks, it seemed to get better but now I'm experiencing all my crashes again.... Arggg just when I thought there was hope, can't even open my shop this morning because the game crashes when I do.

Lisa0107
09-12-15, 05:59 AM
Ogreve, you r mistaken. Glad its working for u but the rest of us are still crashing repeatedly. Team lava has fixed nothing

R081Nchan
09-12-15, 09:35 AM
My Game crashing over and over again. Everytime I want to open the game, I must delete the FFS and then reinstall. That isn't funny, can you imagine everyhours if I want to joins the tournament I must do that. Because of the crash I lose a lot of my runestones. PLEASE FIX THE BUG!!!!!

zombukidolls
09-12-15, 09:43 AM
iPhone 5s same issue but it just started.

ogreve
09-12-15, 11:06 AM
Hi,
It was working fine for me again for most of the day but just now it started doing the very same thing again. I seems to have started around 19:00 CET, and now it constantly has the same type of "freeze-crash" time after time again...

mraguia
09-12-15, 01:33 PM
On ipod touch 5 and since the new tournament & League of extraordinary animals was introduced it's been crashing regularly.

chippychan
09-12-15, 01:36 PM
Same here. The game crashes to home screen when I open the app from suspended mode. It happens on both my ipad and iphone.

This happened for me during the 'Animal Story' beach theme app event but stopped once I switched back to the normal FFS app. Now it's happening again since yesterday.

tuffyjkitten
09-12-15, 03:59 PM
45 straight minutes of crashing trying to open the game to do a battle and I still haven't been able to get in. Never gets past the news screen and half the time no animals are visible in the background. Doesn't matter if it's from suspended mode, closed, restarted iPad, etc.

This is the worst it has been. After 20 minutes of crashes on FFS this morning I successfully opened and played DS, CS, and FS2 on the first try. So once again TL....IT IS NOT MY DEVICE!!!

sweetdeda
09-12-15, 04:51 PM
45 straight minutes of crashing trying to open the game to do a battle and I still haven't been able to get in. Never gets past the news screen and half the time no animals are visible in the background. Doesn't matter if it's from suspended mode, closed, restarted iPad, etc.

This is the worst it has been. After 20 minutes of crashes on FFS this morning I successfully opened and played DS, CS, and FS2 on the first try. So once again TL....IT IS NOT MY DEVICE!!!
I know the frustration you are feeling. And I totally agree this is on TL's end, with all of us having issues inadequate devices can not be the blame. But I decided I would do everything I can to help on my end. I did see improvement after uninstalling and reinstalling the game, powering my iPad off, and making sure history/cache were cleared. What a pain to do this every time I want to play, but at least I'm able to play longer before crashing. I hope you find a way to play.

froghoppers
09-12-15, 05:13 PM
RS keeps freezing. I have to close the app 3 times before it works. been going on for months.

Scribbles138
09-12-15, 06:18 PM
I know a bunch of us have responded, but it's happening to me as well.

ogreve
09-12-15, 10:46 PM
OK, now THIS is really bizarre!
It's morning here now and I just opened FFS, did my normal stuff and now everything works fine again, whereas last night (like Friday night) I got nothing but freezes EACH time I went out and in of FFS!
This suggests to me that the freezing bug may perhaps (as bizarre and unlikely as it may sound!) not be a LOCAL issue with the installations on each device, but rather it may be that the FFS installations performs something like a "wake-up" call to the FFS server (which then does other stuff than their "load" call) and that that perhaps doesn't get handled in time for FFS to respond properly, causing it to exit. I also noted that the exits appear to be slightly "gracefully" with a very brief fade-out to them.
Of course "when the USA is awake" many more users are likely to put heavy usage on their servers, so who knows. Again, this is a very bizarre idea, but I'm curious to see if it will be fine during the day again, and will start to crash again around +/- CET 19:00+ tonight...

sweetdeda
09-13-15, 06:24 AM
Crashes are once again really bad for me. All the little tricks I've been using to try to help the game run smoothly are not working. Having issues just moving around my forest, harvesting food and visiting neighbors, haven't even dared to mine for fear of loosing bombs/ runes. I really wish theses issues would get resolved, it's awful getting so frustrated with a game I enjoy so much.

tuffyjkitten
09-13-15, 07:25 AM
I tried Sweetdeda's suggestion of deleting and reinstalling and it worked, but it only briefly. It crashed while I was collecting from habitats and won't reopen. I've reinstalled 3 times already today and it's 7:30 am!! I have never lost a tournament in this game so I will finish it but I'm not sure after that. Too much of a pain and if the game creators don't give a **** why should I?

RocioBM
09-13-15, 11:03 AM
Same for me. It's so difficult to play in this conditions. I almost can't play the tournament.

I have an iPhone 6+ and a lot of free space, I don't understand what's wrong :(

ogreve
09-13-15, 03:55 PM
For me today went completely "crash-less" but yesterday evening and Friday evening I constantly got that "freeze-crash" bug. I wondered if tonight that would also happen. It didn't. Today the complete day the game worked as expected and without issues...

Lisa0107
09-13-15, 06:55 PM
I lost my first tournament. Been playing since day one and have won every tournament until now. I could not even get into the game today. Constant crashing. I give up, i love the game but i can't play anymore. These constant crashes are just too much

Allixiandra
09-14-15, 12:13 AM
I know that I repeat myself, BUT it is a SHAME that AGAIN there is NO reaction of TL at all. In this frustrating situation I personally should have liked a reaction from official side. Now the first Long-term-Players are leaving the game and this must not happen at all if TL would give a greater trancparency and at least any reaction would be better than none.

@Ogreve: Glad to have you and your great knowledge here. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Kaylinn57
09-16-15, 09:29 AM
My game has also started crashing today when I switch back to it from another app. It seems to be fine if I close it and go to it as a fresh open ever time, but it freezes and crashes if I switch to it from another app while it's running in the background. This just started today and there do not appear to have been any updates to it in the past 24 hours.

I am using it on iOS 8.4.

kooky panda
09-16-15, 09:50 AM
I am crashing back to my home screen on my iphone 6 plus.

They are currently working on this issue of crashing when switching games within the games.

++moved thread to Bug Forum++

Mimbiville
09-16-15, 01:51 PM
I play on an iPhone 4s, and was having trouble with them game freezing and crashing when it first loaded. I updated the iOS and app, but was still getting crash after crash. When I was finally able to get in, I rearranged my layout so the that farms were all around my nest, and nothing with wings was visible when the game loaded. It still crashes occassionally, but is much more stable. You want to minimize the graphics and animations that the game loads when you first log in, especially flying creatures.

[S8] Elsa
09-16-15, 03:31 PM
The issue in which players crash when resuming the game from multi-task has been resolved.

kokii123
09-17-15, 07:54 AM
This issue hasn't been resolved. I don't know for other players, but for me it's still the same issue.

bestmenolly
09-17-15, 08:48 AM
The issue hasn't been resolved for me either. This morning i restarted 20 times at least and had to restart ipad for me to even get in the game. It still crashes at least once evrytime i go in, which is once an hour to plant/harvest. So i never plant just 6 times. Its 8-9 times or more.

kooky panda
09-17-15, 09:07 AM
The issue on this thread was the game crashing when using the icon in your games to go to a different game then when you jumped back to Fantasy, your game would crash.
That is the issue that has been fixed.

Original post and topic of the thread:

Hi,

Well... So much for me not experiencing many crashes....
Since around the time of today's update I'm having constant crashes in an odd way. I normally have FFS open all of the time and I can freely switch between apps, which is a thing I do a LOT for going to the forum, to my mail, to different games, etc.
Up until tonight I could always do this and when I returned to FFS everything was working as normal.
Well not so now, everything is fine as long a I stay in FFS but when I switch to a different app, do a few things there and then return to FFS the screen shows the last screen that I saw before switching away but it's completely "frozen" (ie nothing moves and nothing can be clicked). It stays a second or two like that and then the game crashes and exits and I find myself in the iPhone "home" screen with icons. When I then click on FFS again, the game restarts.
I tried clearing programs from memory and I a full power off but it doesn't help. The situation is very easy to reproduce and happens very often now, which is really annoying as it prevents me from playing the game the way I normally do.
Has anyone else also experienced this behaviour?

kokii123
09-17-15, 10:32 AM
Yes, and that issue isn't solved for me. Im having crashes every time I go somewhere else and getting back to game ( the game crash).

kooky panda
09-17-15, 10:57 AM
Yes, and that issue isn't solved for me. Im having crashes every time I go somewhere else and getting back to game ( the game crash).
Try restarting your device or force closing out your game to see that will fix the issue.

Kaylinn57
09-22-15, 06:11 AM
I am having this issue again as well. It appeared resolved for a day or so then started again. I have restarted my device (iPad Air 2) closed the game, etc. still crashing when I switch back to the game from another app.

conchetiti
10-10-15, 08:43 AM
i play FFS all the time in my ipad 4th Gen. It always runs perfect, but since i upgraded to IOS 9 it freezes and then crashes when switching apps... how can i fix it?

kooky panda
10-10-15, 03:02 PM
I will reopen this bug report.