PDA

View Full Version : Forum trick: very easy way to enlarge images yourself! :)

ogreve
09-11-15, 01:06 AM
Hi all,

Ever since joining this forum I have seen many requests being made to Kooky for enlarging images. All of that time in the back of my head I figured there would probably be some easy way to do this, by manipulating the 'attach' pseudo 'block' tag in the posts.
As I'm soon going to make a post (about mining) in which I want to use images that are directly visible in a bigger size than the standard thumbnail size on the one hand, and being a moderator/webmaster myself elsewhere on the other hand (hence knowing that several standard questions and actions are asked a lot of times), I decided to simply ask Kooky only once how to enlarge the images myself, hence making Kooky's life a little easier too by afterwards not having to ask for image enlargement over and over again. ;)

I got the below answer:

Try this thread

http://forum.storm8.com/showthread.php?15881-How-To-A-Post-Photo-On-The-Forum

Grateful for that I decided to take a look at it, and was not pleasantly surprised to learn that the recommended process is a (IMO) somewhat 'cumbersome' one. Surely there must be an easier way to this than going the Photobucket way (or using some other external app), or at least, on the COMPUTER surely there must be another way....

So, I looked further on the Internet for hits on "vBulletin 4.2.0 enlarge image", hoping to find an easy way to simply manipulate the 'attach' pseudo tag, but I didn't see any. I did find an additional 'resize' tag that can wrap the 'attach' one for some versions of the forum software, but it doesn't seem to be supported by the 4.2.0 vBulletin forum software that this board uses.

So, not ready to throw the towel in the ring just yet, I searched further and then found a great way to achieve what I wanted: it's a very easy way when making posts with images on the computer, which so happens to be the only way that I make posts with images anyway.

How does it work, you ask? Well, let's demonstrate it visually here, directly using this trick. :P

Firstly, when (on the computer) you type a post, the standard editor screen looks like the following (partial) screenshot:

Now, consider the lightblue button in the upper left hand corner of the editor widget (i.e. the button with the 'A/A' text on it). This is the one I mean:

Click on it, and you switch to the so-called 'WYSIWYG' mode. Now this post that I'm typing looks different, and it shows the images that were uploaded in the normal way (using the 'tree' icon, then selecting an image from your computer and uploading it) as true images, instead of as a textual 'attach' pseudo tag. It should look something like this:

Now you see the images themselves as the forum will display them when you submit your post. Now, how to proceed? Well, easy, double-click on the image, and you should see a pop-up appear that looks like this:

Now, on the second line of options, you can set the display size of the image. The default setting is the 'Thumbnail' one, which is the small size. The 'Medium' one results in a somewhat bigger image (but not wide enough for my likings) and the 'Large' option results in a fixed width display that's wider than the width of the content column, resulting in a cropped image when the post is submitted. Not handy.
But.... check the fourth option, being the 'Full size' one. Select it like this:

....and then click on the OK button.

That's it!
Now you're still in the WYSIWYG mode, and you can continue this process, add further text and images (I think to a maximum of 5 per post) and when you're done you simply submit your post in the same way as you always do, and bam! You've just done it! :)

I hope you all enjoy this trick, and I hope Kooky "stickies" it, so Kooky no longer has to do this for everyone. :P

Enjoy!
Olafo

jim23cash
09-11-15, 11:51 AM
Nice job, Olafo! Thanks for figuring that out for all of us. :D Annie

Clark_Wayne
09-11-15, 05:36 PM
bravo olafo ! :D

55lee55
09-11-15, 07:07 PM
Awesome! Might help if the crashes ever get resolved and full forest and the habitat cap get resolved. Then I might want to post a picture. Thanks for posting as I can use it in other forums, even if not here.

Buttercup0001
09-17-15, 04:10 PM
Thanks Ogreve, I will be using your tip next time I attach a picture with a post ;)