PDA

View Full Version : Level 15 Dragons, Mining, and More!

SacredSloth
07-31-15, 10:12 PM
Since the addition of Level 15 Dragons I'm certain everyone at a high enough level to do so has been gawking at the outrageously high food prices. Here's an example of what I mean.

To raise a standard Champion dragon, the Chariot Dragon for example, (Cost Pattern G, one of the more common Cost Patterns) from level 10 to 15 costs 612,700 food.

Completing 4 full harvests of Diamondates per day yields 22,500 food.

To raise one Cost Pattern G dragon from level 10 to 15 at the rate of 22,500 food / day, it would take a player roughly 27 days.

That's almost an entire month of a relatively expensive harvesting schedule to raise up just one dragon. I know I'm not the only one that thinks that's crazy! Now, there have been plenty of posts on this forum requesting better crops or higher level crops for the wealthier players, but that, too, seems harsh. I'm going to try to look at this from a different angle, just to see how it goes.

Use a Different Variable (AKA: Not Food)

Perhaps you guys shouldn't overhaul the entire food productivity curve in an attempt to balance the food costs, since that would likely leave us players worse off with drastic increases in coin costs per harvest (resulting from the addition of either more expensive crops or more than 7 farms). Thus, I propose a different variable other than placing more of a burden on the already understaffed farm hands. For the purposes of this post, the variable I suggest would go by the name "Primal Fragments", since it would ultimately be used to breed the rarest, most powerful Prime Dragons.

How to earn it? A new mining area.
Simple enough, the new mining area's rewards would consist mainly of "Primal Fragments" rather than craftable parts or expansion pieces. The new area could be unlocked at a very high level, possibly level 100. The "bombs" of the new area would be earned through growing crops, similarly to how dynamite is earned by breeding and bombs are earned by evolving. The Primal Fragments collected in the mine would be used to "feed" level 10+ dragons, meaning players would use the already in place food and farming systems to raise dragons to the traditional "Epic" form, and from that point on dragons would only be raised using Primal Fragments.

This system allows and encourages players to continue evolving and leveling their lower-level dragons simultaneously with the 10+ dragons. It also promotes more time spent in-game by adding a new objective, further rewarding those that put more time into the game. This is a consistent theme in the game, lead by examples such as habitats' coin limits and the increased productivity of faster growing crops, which require players to check the game more often.

Rather than adding "better crops" or more farms, this variable would be a new burden all its own. In my experience there is no such thing as too much food as it is, but with the addition of Level 15 dragons the maximum food cost of raising a dragon from 1 to max level has just jumped from 125,00 to 886,450 food. As you can see, this is a massive increase, and attaining 125,000 food was enough of a task on its own! No small tweaks or slightly higher yielding crops are going to do us players any good in this situation. Keeping the current food system would mean either massively buffing the player production (which would be impossible to balance considering the now relatively low costs of lower level dragons) or leaving the player production alone and hoping we don't mind saving up for a month or so to evolve a single dragon (and that's assuming we have the coins to blow on that). The latter of which seems to be the opposite direction any game design team would vouch for, considering it slows gameplay from a crawl to a hopeless dredge.

On the contrary, my suggested system works hand in hand with the current one as well as promoting more player activity. It does not disrupt the current balance of feeding costs vs food productivity. In addition to this, it would speed up gameplay, or at least provide the illusion of doing so, by allowing players to work towards two objectives at once by splitting into two different variables and thus two different costs. Two dragons with one stone, one might say. ;)

The final benefit to adding a new mining area is sort of unrelated to Level 15 dragons but is important to mention nonetheless.
The mining area, much like the current area, could host two digs sites. The fourth dig site could be an advanced treasure hunting site for those that have reached the much higher levels. I'll try to make this as brief as I can... here goes.

A FOURTH DIG SITE:

Unlocked at: Level 125

"Ammo" or "Bombs" Used: Dynamite

Rewards: Small Gemstones, Gold, Coins, Food

Reasoning: Simply put, this would allow players more freedom. Already unlocked every mining expansion? Want to prioritize basic necessities over expansion slots you don't really need? Not to worry, since you can now use those otherwise useless dynamite charges to give yourself a boost in the food and coins departments! The basic rewards would be a step up from the mining for land bonus rewards, for example:
100/1,000 Food Reward --> 500/2,000
1,000/10,000 Coin Reward --> 50,000/100,000
As secondary, more alluring rewards, the mine would also offer rare drops and bonuses: Gold and Small Gemstones. This Treasure Mine would act as a step up from the Quest Outpost, which I know has been particularly disappointing the players especially regarding the "Quest for Gemstones!" quest.

From a game design standpoint, this utilizes a variable already in the game and uses it to place more freedom and decision making power in the hands of the players.

OPTIONAL ADDITION: Now this one might be a bit of a stretch, but personally I would love to see it implemented. Either in addition to or instead of the regular treasure drops discussed above, allow players to mine for expired mining and battle arena dragons. I know, I know, a crazy idea, but hey, I don't know anyone that would turn down the chance to get expired dragons! My suggestion here is to add an "Expired" tab to the crafting menu where all the expired craftable dragons would be listed. The required number of crafting items would be reduced to something quite low since the chances of finding pieces of the same dragon among the many expired dragons would be fairly low. Maybe 9 or 10? Now at this point you're probably wondering how this wouldn't be exploited by people who still had leftover mining pieces or failed to reach the goal and had somewhere around 150 in their inventories-- and to that, I would say: automatically clear all player's inventories of expired crafting materials once the dragon has been removed. Again with the concept of two dragons with one stone ;) , I'd like to point out how much everyone wishes they could get rid of their expired crafting materials always cluttering up their storage. It's become a nightmare over time for veteran players like myself.

FLASH MINING EVENTS!?:
The other option I propose either on top of or alongside the above is only re-releasing one dragon at any given time to be available for mining, sort of like running through a repeating queue. Think "flash mining" events lasting only 24 hours or so each, allowing players to save up dynamite by passing on dragons they didn't want or already had and then binging to get those drops when a dragon they actually want rolls around (for me that would be the Platinum dragon). For this method the required crafting number would be raised to somewhere between 30-50, whatever sounds most reasonable. Exciting flash events, promoting keeping track of day to day changes, rewarding to newer and veteran players alike, even a bit of house cleaning for our inventories, what's not to love!? (P.S. - on top of all that, I'm sure there are those who would spend gold to get extra dynamite to ensure getting a preferred dragon or instantly restock for the next flash event... basically what I'm saying is that it's $$$ for TL, too)

EDIT: These "flash mining events" could also feature new dragons rather than expired ones if TL would prefer not to re-release expired dragons (which is perfectly understandable and might cheapen the feel of the once thought to be "Limited Time" dragons).

The other change or integration that could be made would be to have both mines available-- that is to say, both the aforementioned Flash Mines and Treasure Mines. For the duration of the events (one day once a week, one day once every two weeks, etc.) the regular "Treasure Mine" mentioned above could be replaced by the "Flash Mine", giving the players a chance to earn a new mining dragon.

What was meant to be a quick little post slowly evolved into a sort of monstrous wall of text. I tried to make my ideas as clear and concise as I could manage, so my sincerest apologies if it seemed like rambling at all. Congrats and thank you to everyone who made it all the way through! :p Please leave a comment below to share any opinions or additional ideas you think my ideas could benefit from.

redstar177
08-01-15, 11:55 AM
All of these are fantastic ideas that would solve many of the most common player complaints!

I may not have read closely enough, may you can answer one question- Would the "prime fragments" be used to level dragons higher than level 10? Because that would be so much better than using food! For instance, use food to get dragons to level 10, then have to mine for prime fragments to continue leveling your dragons.
Level 11- 5 prime fragments
Level 12- 10 fragments
Level 13- 15 fragments
etc, etc...

I love these ideas! (And I'm on Android, so I wouldn't even be able to use them! ha)

SacredSloth
08-01-15, 07:56 PM
Yup, that's exactly right! I agree, that part may have been somewhat unclear, so I added a couple clarifying statements in the original post. Thanks for the feedback and support!

redstar177
08-03-15, 06:21 AM
You should post this idea over on the discussion board too, maybe in the Poll/Suggestion thread. I bet many other players would like your ideas too!

debhutchinson
08-03-15, 06:52 AM
I came here to say that I have raised Rainbow and Diamond to Level 15. It cost a fortune. I agree with Sacred Sloth that the food system needs to be overhauled. I'm not looking forward to looking at my Visa Statement (and that's with buying the gold on sale).

pernmagic
08-03-15, 07:19 AM
That is one brilliant piece of ideas to expand the game for newcomers and old timers alike, the way it is suggested makes good sense and ought to be possible for the code programmers to achieve without fouling any existing parts of the game, would need a fair bit of bug hunting to run well but seems an all together good expansion idea :)

Kennedward
08-03-15, 11:46 AM
How about adding in certain effects or at least a new marking that would show LV15? Currently there's no way to tell the dragon is Lv10 or 15 by just looking

YeahBabyBabylonian
08-03-15, 11:51 AM
+1 to this idea, please hire poster as a game developer :)

amerirish
08-03-15, 12:52 PM
TeamLava should make you a job offer immediately!! I think all of your ideas are truly brilliant & innovative. The best part is that you show potential benefit for both TL and the players alike. Honesty, I'm blown away by all of your ideas & impressed with the concise but clear explanation. Bravo :D

SacredSloth
08-04-15, 02:53 AM
First off I'd like to thank everyone for all the encouraging words! :D It really means more than you guys know.

Second, @Kennedward, that would be awesome! Unfortunately, TL has previously expressed their concerns on weighing down the hardware, which would potentially turn away many players on older/lower end devices; so while I would also love to differentiate level 15 dragons, it might be too much of a drag performance-wise to add in new particle effects to every dragon... At the same time there's no way they would be willing to go back and create level 15 evolution models for all 550+ dragons, so they've sort of dug themselves into a hole on that one. The best I could come up with is a quick low-opacity color overlay effect.

Basically dragons could attain slightly altered colorations upon reaching level 15. These alterations could also be dependent on the dragon's primary type, for example lighter types like red, yellow, white, pink, and rainbow would receive a relatively lighter coloration while darker types like purple, blue, black, and cosmic would receive relatively darker ones.

It shouldn't be too much work in the art or programming departments and would offer players a more or less noticeable way to show off their level 15s. But boy, if they would be willing to add it, I sure would love a flashy-sparkley-aura effect. :cool:

Kennedward
08-04-15, 07:15 AM
First off I'd like to thank everyone for all the encouraging words! :D It really means more than you guys know.

Second, @Kennedward, that would be awesome! Unfortunately, TL has previously expressed their concerns on weighing down the hardware, which would potentially turn away many players on older/lower end devices; so while I would also love to differentiate level 15 dragons, it might be too much of a drag performance-wise to add in new particle effects to every dragon... At the same time there's no way they would be willing to go back and create level 15 evolution models for all 550+ dragons, so they've sort of dug themselves into a hole on that one. The best I could come up with is a quick low-opacity color overlay effect.

Basically dragons could attain slightly altered colorations upon reaching level 15. These alterations could also be dependent on the dragon's primary type, for example lighter types like red, yellow, white, pink, and rainbow would receive a relatively lighter coloration while darker types like purple, blue, black, and cosmic would receive relatively darker ones.

It shouldn't be too much work in the art or programming departments and would offer players a more or less noticeable way to show off their level 15s. But boy, if they would be willing to add it, I sure would love a flashy-sparkley-aura effect. :cool:

Nice to see someone agrees with me :cool:

blackeneddove
08-04-15, 09:57 AM
SacredSloth,

Your ideas and solutions are among the best I've seen so far. And I love the primal fragments thing! I sure was thinking small the other day with just a new food type of Primeapples (like pineapples) for dragons over level 10. lol :cool:

Anyway, I sure hope TL & S8 take notice of this! Maybe you'll even get a job... then you can convince them to do the glowing aura for lv 15 maxed out dragons. ;)

MountainKingDragon
08-08-15, 07:56 PM
We now have level 15 Dragons thanks to Noble Crystal (IOS Only) Very disappointed as the Farms Stay the same the amount of food it takes for these Dragons is wild like the farms should have definitely had a massive increase we need more food farms to produce more food I don't even have 1 level 15 dragon due to the amount of food they need This is a long journey as no matter what I plant still not enough we need farms upgrading FAST 💨💨💨💨💨😄👍👍

freshfunin2008
08-10-15, 08:12 AM
I think this is TL's way of slowing things down esp for lower level players.

Kennedward
08-10-15, 08:12 AM
Even long term players like me have a hard time collecting food, since most crops gives very few food, plus I also have work to deal with so I cannot play full time

freshfunin2008
08-10-15, 08:18 AM
I know me too.

Kennedward
08-10-15, 08:20 AM
The overall food increase will take us a long time, probably over a year, to get these dragons to LV15, as a lot of them, especially those Diamonds and Champions, eat A LOT of food to get to LV15

YeahBabyBabylonian
08-10-15, 12:17 PM
So obviously since the update at the end of July which saw the introduction of level 15 dragons with exorbitant food costs, there has been a lot of discussion around here and clamoring for bigger farms, more food, etc etc. The prevailing sentiment seems to be, "How are we supposed to get all our dragons to level 15 without more food production?" And the answer, I think, is that we're not. And personally I think that's ok, and here's why.

I have been playing DS about 2.5 years, am level 150 with 350 unique dragons, including a dozen diamond hybrids and two dozen champions. So while I am not one of the top top dogs around here (congrats on the Helios btw Ken!) I am certainly in the upper tier. I am an active player and when there is a tournament running I stay on top of it and minimize wasted time between rounds. Even so, I routinely have to spend gold to complete tournaments successfully (especially ones with a champion prize) because of the 10% max chance to defeat higher level champion dragons. Sometimes you get lucky and beat one after just a couple of tries, but on the flip side I have had champions that I failed to defeat after literally 3-4 days of constant battles (hooray for stubbornness).

But now! My level 15 diamond dragon has a much more reasonable chance to defeat those pesky champs, and my level 15 Warrior King acquits himself admirably in the later rounds against the tricky combos they throw at us. This makes the tournaments much more reasonable to complete with minimal gold usage, which I think is a great reward for us longtime players. I think it is important, however, to limit our capability to crank out level 15 dragons. If everyone was able to have a stable full of level 15 diamond hybrids and champions overnight, the tournaments would become too easy and something would have to be done to make them more difficult, and while the Red Queen might enjoy running as fast as she can just to stay in one place, I myself do not.

Keeping level 15 dragons a limited and precious commodity gives high-level players a meaningful goal to strive for with meaningful rewards, without throwing off the balance of the game. I think it's a good system and I for one hope it stays the way it is. Cheers!

amerirish
08-10-15, 01:18 PM
I understand where you're coming from and might tend to agree with you, but for one problem: I found that in the flash tournament we just had, my level 10 dragons were almost useless. So they've kind of forced our hand to upgrade our dragons to level 15 if we want to complete tournaments/battles. Had they left our odds the same or only slightly less, it might not make it such a priority to level up to 15, but now we have to in order to have any hope of being successful in battles.

LindaLou22
08-10-15, 03:28 PM
These ideas are very, very interesting for the IOS people BUT since I have 2 games, 1on IOS and 1 on Android, I am basically wondering WHAT is going to happen to my Android Village? I keep getting these 13-20 level dragons to battle and simply no way to even begin to battle them. My poor epic Berserker is about worn out! :^( Maybe they need to make 2 different games or something??????

Kennedward
08-10-15, 04:14 PM
I understand where you're coming from and might tend to agree with you, but for one problem: I found that in the flash tournament we just had, my level 10 dragons were almost useless. So they've kind of forced our hand to upgrade our dragons to level 15 if we want to complete tournaments/battles. Had they left our odds the same or only slightly less, it might not make it such a priority to level up to 15, but now we have to in order to have any hope of being successful in battles.

Agreed, going LV15 is really the only way to even out the chances to win a little, although I've read that some players lost with it

redstar177
08-10-15, 09:17 PM
IMO, I have to disagree. The feeding costs are simply TOO much. If they had made the dragons hard to get to level 15, that would be fine and a worthy goal. However TL made the dragons neigh impossible to feed that high, let alone have a number of level 15 dragons WHILE still trying to make every other mass produced dragon epic level (in order to enjoy their final forms). Having goals to strive for is fine- but creating such impossible standards simply tells me that they regard their players as walking money bags. Wanting to make money on their game is fine, but IMO there just needs to be some sort of balance.

pernmagic
08-11-15, 05:04 AM
IMO, I have to disagree. The feeding costs are simply TOO much. If they had made the dragons hard to get to level 15, that would be fine and a worthy goal. However TL made the dragons neigh impossible to feed that high, let alone have a number of level 15 dragons WHILE still trying to make every other mass produced dragon epic level (in order to enjoy their final forms). Having goals to strive for is fine- but creating such impossible standards simply tells me that they regard their players as walking money bags. Wanting to make money on their game is fine, but IMO there just needs to be some sort of balance.
I quite agree, I'm nearly L150 and I have the noble crystal, only bought it as the price may go up , but for now I'm not taking any above L10 , I have a lot of useful dragons I struggle to get to L10 due to food needs , what this "upgrade" has done has made me much more careful about spending gold in a tournament to finish it because of the almost impossible odds of winning, guess I'm choosing to play the game differently because of the lack of "balance" and equal fairness as you mention..... It alters how I feel about the game which is a shame :(

Kennedward
08-11-15, 07:45 AM

Agreed

Xyn25
08-11-15, 03:58 PM
Meanwhile, in Androidland, we just dream of the day we get to evolve a dragon past level 10...

Kennedward
08-11-15, 04:17 PM
lol, save up some food in the meantime, you'll need a lot of it

SacredSloth
08-11-15, 08:28 PM
They can make level 15s incredibly hard to get, it's not a huge deal to me, but what I don't want is to have to stop leveling and evolving my other dragons at the same time. The rate at which dragons are released is high enough as it is. It's almost impossible to produce enough food to feed one new-release to level 10 before yet another new-release takes its place--especially considering all the tournaments, spin-to-wins, world events, and dragon tales that keep restocking the "To Feed" list. (Sorry to Android guys who don't get some of that stuff :( )

Now, given the entire paragraph above, consider that leveling a dragon from level 10 to 11 costs over half as much as it does to level a dragon from 1 to 10. (160k Lv 1 --> Lv 10, 84k Lv 10 --> Lv 11) And that's just from 10 to 11! In order to raise a dragon from level 10 to 15 would mean completely dropping the progress on leveling all other dragons... which, up until this point, has been the ultimate goal for dragon trainers. It was satisfying then and it's still going to be satisfying now, so even while I'm going to try for a couple level 15s it still feels like a slap in the face.

So then @YeahBabyBabylonia, yeah, they should be hard to get, but I don't want to sacrifice the gameplay of raising my other dragons to epic forms. Using my system you could make it take some ludicrous number of Primal Fragments to level epic form dragons so that it remains a very difficult late game goal.

Dangling exciting rewards for raising high level dragons like better odds in the battle arena and super rare Prime Dragons is all well and good, but if you're going to give us some exciting new goals, don't force a decision like that. Either way we go, we still end up ignoring half of the fun of raising dragons, be them low levels or high. This seems counter intuitive for a product meant to maximize the enjoyment and satisfaction of the consumer. You want people (both new and veterans) to stay interested, right? Of course you do, that's how you make money in this biz. But releasing new gameplay elements that require sacrificing old gameplay elements is not the way to do that. Rather than giving us more to do, this update has simply spread us thinner; rather than satisfying, it feels sort of overwhelming.

PS: I read at least a few replies that simply stated their distress at the high food costs, and to those people honestly all I can say is... read the post. :p And this comment.

Kennedward
08-12-15, 06:45 AM
Actually I don't really mind LV15 having a high food level, I already thought it would be the case.

My problem is still, as I've said, the lack of food options that would drag out the time required to go LV15.

So far, I only gotten around 10 dragons to LV15, but to get all of my Diamonds to LV15, I'm assuming it'll take a year or more.

That's my problem.

kimandamelia
08-12-15, 08:09 AM
Along with all of the other IOS only special features, this one is another bothersome one to Android. Ever since this feature came out, my arena battles have all been against high level dragons and I cannot beat them with anything. I've never had this many issues. Has there ever been an explanation as to why there are such differences between IOS and Android? I can't seem to get my question to stay up on the boards for too long for some reason....

Kennedward
08-12-15, 11:14 AM
Along with all of the other IOS only special features, this one is another bothersome one to Android. Ever since this feature came out, my arena battles have all been against high level dragons and I cannot beat them with anything. I've never had this many issues. Has there ever been an explanation as to why there are such differences between IOS and Android? I can't seem to get my question to stay up on the boards for too long for some reason....

You should ask TL that

AwesomeChefDad
08-12-15, 09:52 PM
I have not come across anyone that has bred a set of L15 dragons to get one of those prime ones.

I have the gold to buy one of them but then the thought came to me that I will have to raise the one I bought to L15 anyway, and how long is that going to take?????

My highest dragon is only a 12, I spread about 550k food around between some diamond hybrids, a champ, a marshmallow (which I use a ton in tournaments) and it went fast.

Does anyone know if say you took a Scorpion which is a red/yellow to 15 can you breed it for both red and yellow to get either one of those prime dragons? I looked at some of my combo level 10 dragons and there does not seem to be rhyme or reason to the food costs, for example a Snow Owl is 6000 (x5) to feed on L10 and that is a white/blue and Gargoyle is 12,000 (x5) and it is also a white blue..and a Nova also white.blue is 6000, then a Winter Solstice is 6000 and it is a white/blue/yellow?

Kennedward
08-13-15, 06:22 AM
I have not come across anyone that has bred a set of L15 dragons to get one of those prime ones.

Then you haven't met me lol I just got my first Prime dragon a day or so ago :cool:

AwesomeChefDad
08-13-15, 09:45 AM
Then you haven't met me lol I just got my first Prime dragon a day or so ago :cool:

So how many times did it take of breeding to get it and what was the hatch time etc?

Kennedward
08-13-15, 10:27 AM
So how many times did it take of breeding to get it and what was the hatch time etc?

10th try or so, 28hrs breeding time

AwesomeChefDad
08-15-15, 09:21 AM

What core dragon did you use to breed? It looks like the core dragon for most of these power breeds are strange ones..like metal or Virtue etc. I also noticed that even though Diamonds are all encompassing they do not count as a core partner for breeding..

For example if say I bred a L15 Diamond and L15 Infinity, that in theory would breed any power since the components of those two are multiple colors. It is too bad this doesnt work because Diamonds are also good battlers.

Kennedward
08-15-15, 10:38 AM
I was looking at the breeding calculator, what core dragon did you use to breed? It looks like the core dragon for most of these power breeds are strange ones..like metal or Virtue etc. I also noticed that even though Diamonds are all encompassing they do not count as a core partner for breeding..

For example if say I bred a L15 Diamond and L15 Infinity, that in theory would breed any power since the components of those two are multiple colors. It is too bad this doesnt work because Diamonds are also good battlers. I raised up a Mercury to like 13 for battles but when I tried to do a breed calculator on it with say a Quetzal it didnt yield any power dragons.

Simplest one, Fire with Light LOL!

AwesomeChefDad
08-15-15, 05:28 PM
Simplest one, Fire with Light LOL!

Yeah which I dont like so much...we raise these up to L15 and spend all that food, and those two are useless battlers and not good earners.

I will be curious to see how much food it takes to move that prime guy up to the top 15 level.

I also bet that TL will add more prime dragons to include some like night and diamond etc...

Kennedward
08-16-15, 06:58 AM
Yeah which I dont like so much...we raise these up to L15 and spend all that food, and those two are useless battlers and not good earners.

I will be curious to see how much food it takes to move that prime guy up to the top 15 level.

I also bet that TL will add more prime dragons to include some like night and diamond etc...

Just did a search, Prime Power's food costs are not bad, taking 60,000 to LV11, then 84,000 to get to LV12, 109,200 to LV13, 142,000 to LV14, and 217,500 to LV15

It's lower than most Diamonds

chloesisland
08-17-15, 06:27 PM
I have four of the Prime dragons so far. The difficulty doesn't seem to be in breeding the Prime dragons but rather in raising the breeding parents to level 15.

Kennedward
08-17-15, 07:05 PM
Agreed

bullwine
08-18-15, 06:46 AM
In many instances the increase in strength between a level 14 and a level 15 Dragon is negligible. So unless you need a level 15 for breeding purposes you may want to stick with a level 14.

Kennedward
08-18-15, 06:54 AM
Well, the battle rate for LV14 and 15 have around 5 to 10% difference, although minimal, it does mean you have 5 to 10% more chance to win.

Kennedward
08-18-15, 10:14 AM
Agreed. Just like in tournaments where the opponents are LV20, but our max can only be LV15, and for those Android players they can only be LV10 max, but we can still win against them.