PDA

View Full Version : Value Packs? Your opinions

krystynam
07-31-15, 12:41 PM
Hi!

I'm just wondering how many ppl purchase them? I've boughten a few myself. I'm debating on the current pack...

Are you tempted?

diner2u
07-31-15, 01:06 PM
No I don't buy the Value Packs. Too expensive for my blood. Lol! Maybe I would be tempted more if I knew I could display all my dragons and not have space issue like other gamers who have been playing for more than 1 year.

If they were $0.99 then i'd probably be more tempted. Lol!

Mythdefied
07-31-15, 01:11 PM
I used d to buy nearly all of them because I want all the dragons, but finances don't allow that anymore. I haven't bought any in a couple months.

belarica
07-31-15, 01:19 PM
Nova is white and blue, I already have tons of white and blue so I'm passing. I haven't bought a value pack in a while.

Kennedward
07-31-15, 01:32 PM
I don't buy, but if you have the money and really like the dragon, then by all means buy it :D

JMThrive
07-31-15, 02:48 PM
I played for two years without spending any money. After the upgrade for Android adding battle arena, I did by two or three for the champion dragons. But Storm8/Team Lava has shown they don't care about players and are only in it for the money (not the money is a bad thing, but it should not be an end all/be all). So now I am back to not spending a dime on this or any other Storm8 game. In fact I uninstalled a bunch of games and am down to only 2 games. I am probably going to drop Restaurant Story soon as well.

BiteMe111
07-31-15, 03:26 PM
With this one, the extras are pretty useless, as you're getting coins and maps (the former are easy to earn and the latter to get from neighbors), so practically you're paying for the dragon alone.

This said, I will be buying it because I love love love the look of the Nova. I first saw it on Pern Magic's isle and I remember asking her what dragon it was and feeling disappointed that it wasn't available. I learned two things from that: 1. That I liked this particular dragon and 2. That I liked white dragons in general I must say that if a dragon offered in a value pack is white, I usually can't resist it (White Magic and White Witch, I'm looking at you).

I have a rule to limit myself to one cash purchase a week in this game. I don't smoke, don't buy video games and now that I'm sick and can't drink alcohol I hardly go to clubs, so this is my entertainment money. I usually wait till Friday to see what the value pack is and then I either buy that or wait for a gold sale and buy gold (to use for running the second breeding den or buy extra spins on a wheel). In other words, no extra spins this week, I'll be getting my Nova instead. :)

krystynam
07-31-15, 03:52 PM
With this one, the extras are pretty useless, as you're getting coins and maps (the former are easy to earn and the latter to get from neighbors), so practically you're paying for the dragon alone.

This said, I will be buying it because I love love love the look of the Nova. I first saw it on Pern Magic's isle and I remember asking her what dragon it was and feeling disappointed that it wasn't available. I learned two things from that: 1. That I liked this particular dragon and 2. That I liked white dragons in general I must say that if a dragon offered in a value pack is white, I usually can't resist it (White Magic and White Witch, I'm looking at you).

I have a rule to limit myself to one cash purchase a week in this game. I don't smoke, don't buy video games and now that I'm sick and can't drink alcohol I hardly go to clubs, so this is my entertainment money. I usually wait till Friday to see what the value pack is and then I either buy that or wait for a gold sale and buy gold (to use for running the second breeding den or buy extra spins on a wheel). In other words, no extra spins this week, I'll be getting my Nova instead. :)

Thanks for posting!!

Nice! Your way is a great way of treating yourself! I'm in a similar position, quit smoking in 2009, don't drink due to the RC meds I'm on, don't have a social life lol, etc. I pretty much only spend on nessecities, housing/bills for my kids and I, I grocery shop very cheaply, same for clothing. Spending some money on here is a lil something for me, a treat if u will.

Only thing - I'm too impulsive. I don't always think out the sensibility of my purchase (ex spending x gold on wheel spins to get a dragon that could be purchased for less gold in the market. Dohhhhh.) so I think I will go with your way, once a week sounds like a good plan.

LindaLou22
07-31-15, 04:01 PM
I have purchased many value packs in the last 2-3 years (on IOS and on Android) but NOW, I have absolutely NO need for the coins OR the Mystic Maps! I have totally expanded on land & air and I have so much money I have almost totally expanded the Artic Isles just to have something to do. I have not expanded the last block in space because until the last expansion I couldn't even use my dynamite so with this expansion I didn't do the last one so that I can still get and use the dynamite and sometimes it gives me some food which I am DESPERATE for! I bought the Nova pack wwaaayyyy back and it is very nice but honestly, I have never used it.

amerirish
07-31-15, 04:03 PM
I don't usually buy DS value packs, but if they ever offer a Diamond hybrid that I don't have, I don't think I would be capable to resist. I got very fortunate to breed an Astromancer about a week before they were selling one. I do buy value packs in other games sometimes, especially if it's $4.99 and they're offering something very appealing to me. It's really up to you if you want it and can afford it :)

freshfunin2008
07-31-15, 04:05 PM
I bought a couple when they were like 0.99 dollars but I have not since then.

Kennedward
07-31-15, 05:04 PM
Hm it seems most players don't buy them, so I'm not the only one lol

Sandybellee
08-02-15, 01:28 AM
I'm not really tempted by value packs. I've bought the starter pack in a couple of games though because it's been only 1.99.
What I did instead with DS is buy gold on sale when I got the add for the boosted breeding weekend and speed-bred with it. I was aiming for Siamese, but got Archangel, Deep, Dark Phoenix, Seafarer, Messenger, Disco, Celestial, Hippogryph etc. instead in the space of a few minutes. Pretty pleased with it! Now that's a value pack! :)

jjblueyes
08-02-15, 02:00 AM
I would more often if I didn't have the dragon already & it was something I really wanted. I've purchased 2 in all the long time I've been playing, & I don't even remember which guy the first one was that I bought. I do know it was an event dragon that I just missed for some silly reason & I wanted it. Since then I've had almost every one offered. I think there might have been one,maybe 2 I didn't. Clearly, they didn't move me enough to open up my purse. The 2nd was a long time later and was rainbow sentinel. I was dealing with my sons surgery when that tale started & it was new, a little confusing & I didn't end up finishing on time. My RL was way more important that week. I was happy to see him. Didn't like the price tag! I got it from iTunes gc's received for my bday. I asked for them so I could have a little gold. That value pack came the same weekend as my bday. Great timing.
I agree that for many long time players the coins & Maps are silly. Would love food!
There's a long answer to a simple question. Sorry. Have a migraine & sleep isn't coming soon...

Ps...I would love diamond prism to show up in a pack! Grumble grumble...he's been a bear for me! Night

jjblueyes
08-02-15, 02:01 AM
I'm not really tempted by value packs. I've bought the starter pack in a couple of games though because it's been only 1.99.
What I did instead with DS is buy gold on sale when I got the add for the boosted breeding weekend and speed-bred with it. I was aiming for Siamese, but got Archangel, Deep, Dark Phoenix, Seafarer, Messenger, Disco, Celestial, Hippogryph etc. instead in the space of a few minutes. Pretty pleased with it! Now that's a value pack! :)

I like it!

pernmagic
08-02-15, 02:27 AM
I have bought RS , highlander and inquisitor ( both Very helpful fighters for me ) and astromancer, but stick to the dragons or champs I really want or who are useful in the arena, I already have Nova from a long while back , sometimes he is useful but all dragons seem to work differently for their "owners" so it's luck in a way if the ones you buy on a value pack actually do help :) I still need maps but mainly get them from neighbours ( thanks all :) ) but for lower level players the value packs can be useful if the luck element works your way ..... If you have the cash of course

pernmagic
08-02-15, 02:35 AM

Congrats on getting your Nova at last..... I hope he works well for you :)

Sandybellee
08-02-15, 06:07 AM
I like it!

Thank you! Me too. I think this could become a tradition. Maybe I'll buy gold again next time they have a boosted weekend (if it's on sale) and try it out with some other combinations. :)

9krm
08-02-15, 01:34 PM
I bought a starter pack for $1.99. I found that very useful when I was starting out. I haven't bought a value pack, although I have thought about some of them. I have bought gold a few times when it is on sale, but that is only very occassionally.

krystynam
08-02-15, 06:22 PM

Wow!! You've had much better luck than I with the boosted breeding, my gold has been wasted on commons, ugh.
What was the pair you used?

Congrats on all your new dragons!!

Sandybellee
08-02-15, 11:28 PM
Wow!! You've had much better luck than I with the boosted breeding, my gold has been wasted on commons, ugh.
What was the pair you used?

Congrats on all your new dragons!!

Thank you! Now I just have to farm a lot of food to feed all the hungry mouths. :) I used practically the only pair I had to have a decent chance at the Siamese (which seems to be super elusive!) - Night and Winter.

Kennedward
08-03-15, 07:16 AM
Smae here, tons of food needed lol

debhutchinson
08-03-15, 07:33 AM
I don't like a new dragon introduced as a Value Pack but it's good for other dragons (ones I or other players may have missed). For example past tournament dragons, Super Rares (especially 3-gem types) and for Diamond dragons.

They are also good for new players as Starter Packs.

Kennedward
08-03-15, 10:56 AM
I don't like a new dragon introduced as a Value Pack but it's good for other dragons (ones I or other players may have missed). For example past tournament dragons, Super Rares (especially 3-gem types) and for Diamond dragons.

They are also good for new players as Starter Packs.

And if you have the money, most packs are around USD$16.99

koiju
08-03-15, 09:34 PM
I've never bought a value pack but don't have a prob with the idea of it. Interestingly I have not had a single gold sale since about 6 months into my playing - and I joined in Feb 2013, so that's about 2 years without a gold sale!

sipland
08-03-15, 10:06 PM
Lol when I started DS I bought 5 Pumpkin value packs ($0.99 or $1.99), mostly because of the food! I also bought the Angel pack recently. No regrets. I don't understand the disparity in gold sales though.

Mythdefied
08-04-15, 10:57 AM
The fist pack I bought was $1.99, since then I haven't seen one for less than $14.99. Other players apparently can buy multiple ones at $0.99 and $1.99. Why is that?

krystynam
08-04-15, 11:15 AM
Thank you! Now I just have to farm a lot of food to feed all the hungry mouths. :) I used practically the only pair I had to have a decent chance at the Siamese (which seems to be super elusive!) - Night and Winter.

Yeah, I'm working on food as well. It's frustrating eh? New dragons and to get them anywhere we need 10s of thousands, to b/millions. Ughhhh.
I got 1 Siamese out of night x winter, but not from this weekend.

I've never bought a value pack but don't have a prob with the idea of it. Interestingly I have not had a single gold sale since about 6 months into my playing - and I joined in Feb 2013, so that's about 2 years without a gold sale!

I wonder if the gold sales are based on buying habit. I've bought gold, and since doing so my offers come at least once, mostly twice, per week. They seem to alternate with the value packs.

The fist pack I bought was $1.99, since then I haven't seen one for less than $14.99. Other players apparently can buy multiple ones at $0.99 and $1.99. Why is that?

Wow! $1.99? I've never seen that low, the ones I see are all 12.99-16.99.
That's ridiculous if others get them so much cheaper :(

Kennedward
08-04-15, 11:18 AM
If all packs are 1.99 or 0.99, I'll surely recommend them to everyone, but so far the recent ones have been 16.99, so it's hard for me to recommend

BiteMe111
08-04-15, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I'm working on food as well. It's frustrating eh? New dragons and to get them anywhere we need 10s of thousands, to b/millions. Ughhhh.
I got 1 Siamese out of night x winter, but not from this weekend.

I wonder if the gold sales are based on buying habit. I've bought gold, and since doing so my offers come at least once, mostly twice, per week. They seem to alternate with the value packs.

Wow! $1.99? I've never seen that low, the ones I see are all 12.99-16.99.
That's ridiculous if others get them so much cheaper :(

When you're a low level player, you get the $1.99 ones, then you get the $3.99/4.99 ones and finally at level 40 you get the expensive ones. I noticed the last transition happened at level 40 because at some point I was at 39, had some $4.99 offer and then suddenly I got to level 40, my screen refreshed and there was a different icon on the right.

I loved some of my $3.99 purchases. Cleopatra was one of these bundles and she's one of my best dragons.

Kennedward
08-04-15, 11:46 AM
Overall, I still think it's a matter of price, if it's cheap like 0.99, 1.99 or even up to 4.99, there'll definitely be many players buying since that's still considered cheap. But right now for most of the higher level players, the price for these pack is usually 16.99, which makes people stop and think it through before making a purchase.

Hawk1
08-04-15, 01:03 PM
My value packs are either 14.99 or 19.99.. Haven't seen a gold sale since Lvl 45.. Guess S8/TL figure you're hooked on the game by then and don't care to give discounts to you any longer. I think that is bad business but they don't care . If they had a few more brain cells they would have gold sales during tournaments.

belarica
08-04-15, 01:30 PM
My value packs are either 14.99 or 19.99.. Haven't seen a gold sale since Lvl 45.. Guess S8/TL figure you're hooked on the game by then and don't care to give discounts to you any longer. I think that is bad business but they don't care . If they had a few more brain cells they would have gold sales during tournaments.

I think it's just bad luck :( I'm 97 and still get frequent sales, I had sales 3 days in a row just now, and usually at least 1 a week.

Kennedward
08-04-15, 04:18 PM
It seems gold sales are randomly distributed to players, I've seen several sales in the past 2 months alone

Mythdefied
08-04-15, 10:30 PM
I get gold sales once a week, sometimes twice, just haven't been able to afford it in a while.

Kennedward
08-05-15, 06:09 AM
I usually get it once every 2 weeks or so but never bought any, so yea, it varies for everyone I think

barbaraann72
08-05-15, 02:48 PM
I bought a couple when I first started - no regrets! I haven't purchased any since then. If they were less expensive, I'm sure that I would. (and probably spending more on the game in the long run).

krystynam
08-05-15, 03:49 PM
When you're a low level player, you get the $1.99 ones, then you get the $3.99/4.99 ones and finally at level 40 you get the expensive ones. I noticed the last transition happened at level 40 because at some point I was at 39, had some $4.99 offer and then suddenly I got to level 40, my screen refreshed and there was a different icon on the right.

I loved some of my $3.99 purchases. Cleopatra was one of these bundles and she's one of my best dragons.

I haven't seen any of the low cost ones on my acct. (I've been playing for about a month or 6wks, I think lol)
Always ones over $10. :(

I have bought a couple of the packs offered to me tho. Yes pricey, but love the dragons.

Kennedward
08-05-15, 07:15 PM
I haven't seen any of the low cost ones on my acct. (I've been playing for about a month or 6wks, I think lol)
Always ones over $10. :(

I have bought a couple of the packs offered to me tho. Yes pricey, but love the dragons.

Maybe it's because you're not a low level player, so they don't give those cheaper packs to you

goodbrothersjohnandjohn
08-05-15, 07:17 PM
Please TL, offer $0.99 Starter Packs, and also include a dragin that can no longer be obtained, such as seasonals or regular dragons that are removed

Kennedward
08-05-15, 07:19 PM
Please TL, offer $0.99 Starter Packs, and also include a dragin that can no longer be obtained, such as seasonals or regular dragons that are removed

I agree, only then will players consider buying them. I even know a few players who used to buy packs because they are cheap, at 0.99 or 1.99, but have stopped because the price is now 16.99. That's a huge difference in price when what is offered are similar.