PDA

View Full Version : Simple Sanity Strategies (For the Gem-Deprived)

Bravosii
07-06-15, 08:09 AM
Frustrated with timed breeding challenges? Until this timed event is over, please note that common animals shall remain common, whereas rare animals shall have the frequency of super-rare, super-rare shall be treated as ultra-rare, and ultra-rare.... MUAHAHAHA!

Angry with all-powerful tourney animals? Why won't you just die!?

Suffering from an unreasonable hatred for armourdillos, fairy ferrets, turtiles, and plantlers? Roast plantler with a side of turtile soup, anyone?

Bewildered by the dizzying array of simultaneous events, tournaments, challenges, and quests? Whom should I breed first? How many days left? What is the priority? How do I decide? I need to flip a coin!

Comparing breeding wait-times to watching paint dry? This expansion requires eight hundred and twenty-two realm runes? To get that many explosives I have to multiply breeding time by "x," carry the four, and provide my first-born child as collateral...

Tired of seeing blanks that can no longer be filled in you album? This animal has been discontinued, however we will remind you that you have missed out completely until the day you die!

Begin as an enthusiastic player only to become an embittered obsessive-compulsive threatening to quit but unable to kick the habit? You, Team Lava, are responsible for all my woes! And the lack of world peace!

Most players have been there! And most came back again. Of those, the majority have been there and back again numerous times. Here are some suggestions that may help you remain sane and centred in the midst of goal-oriented game play.

1. Keep reminding yourself, "It is only a game." I often need to tell such obvious conclusions to my children, and then realize that I ought to be repeating the same thing to myself when frustration occurs.

2. Without making gem purchases, it is impossible to win every tournament, breed every animal, and complete every goal. This is in large part a game of chance, so even with a brilliant mathematical mind filled with detailed logarithms to maximize your chances of success, you'll still lose some. Accept it, loosen up, and celebrate your successes. If you do happen to be mathematically-inclined (and a wee bit obsessive) take the time to calculate your odds of actually succeeding and make that your goal, not 100% success. Or better yet, evaluate the odds of success of someone who does not have an understanding of how to maximize their success mathematically, and compare you're results with that. You're guarunteed to exceed those expectations every time!

3. Frequently visit the discussions here. Avoid those that have a seriously negative title (such as "Die, Team Lava, Die" or "My Official Resignation From All Online Games of Chance, Ever" or "A Deeply Disturbing and Disordered Rant on All Evils I Percieve to Have Been Perpertrated Against Me Since Childhood, In Particular Those Inflicted by Storm 8.") Such discussions will not be very encouraging. Rather, look for tips, tricks, and explanations regarding the workings of the game. Almost every time you will find a post written by someone smarter and more obsessed than you are, presumably with more time on their hands, that will, when followed, increase your chances of success. There are threads on pretty much everything!

4. When it becomes obvious that the Fantasy Forest goal has become unachievable for you, create your own alternate-goal. I really, really wanted all three musical animals, but I kept getting Lullabisons. When I realized I'd never be able to get that third super-rare musical animal, I kept trying to get the Tubacan but my contingency plan was to get three Lullabisons and keep one as a "baby" and level up one to 15 to be the "daddy" and the other to 10 to be the "mummy." Not the musical family I'd originally wanted, but fun nonetheless.

5. Try using one stone to **** many birds. For example: I need a Crystal Unicorn. Currently there are two timed breeding goals: one for a dark-water combo, another for an earth-water. A Crystal Unicorn comes from breeding four different elements. So, I breed an earth-dark animal with a water-and-anything-but-earth-or-dark animal. That's four elements, so there is a possibility of getting a Unicorn, plus I could get either an earth-dark or an earth-water animal. I'm maximizing my chances of achieving at least one of my three goals. Furthermore, I could get lucky with a "fail" that is actually something I'd like. Or, I could get another common, unwanted animal. It is a game of chance after all! Just hope and plan for the best possible outcome, and sell the rest.

6. When/If true frustration kicks in, take a break! Read something funny. Play a different game. Create yourself a "stupid" goal. Go outdoors. Play with your for-real pet (not to be confused with any furr-real pets you might have kicking around). Watch an animal documentary (ones about gigantic, extinct mammals are particularly fun). And, when all else fails, a long, hot bubble-bath with a glass of wine (or coke, or 7-up, or chocolate milk, pick your preference) can work wonders for any frustrations or stresses you have about anything at all!

Keep in mind, games are meant to be fun, even when there's a win-lose element to them, so just have fun!

Do you have any other suggestions of thing you do to keep the game fun and yourself happy? Tell us all! You never know when you might save someone the heartache of losing their joy in free games of chance resulting in them running off to Vegas!

matiasabad94
07-06-15, 08:58 AM
Hahaha this is very good, thanks for sharing!

chippychan
07-06-15, 09:23 AM
:) I love this post :)

Do you have any other suggestions of thing you do to keep the game fun and yourself happy?

If I'm feeling frustrated with a limited goal I just ask myself... Do I NEED this animal?? Do I need it SO MUCH that I'm willing to pay money for it? If I miss out on it, will my life be forever empty and incomplete?

The answer is usually no... But sometimes I do spent gems to get certain animals.

I also set little personal goals for myself too, like I'm trying to get 2 of each 'Rare' and 'Super Rare' permanent animals; one to keep as a baby and one to fully evolve. Another reason for doing this is in anticipation that I might NEED a baby of a certain animal to feed for those limited goals that have popped up in the past (like for the Cactus Kitsune & Pigmy).

This makes all the repeat 'fails' while trying to breed my first Crystal Unicorn not so bad. :)

zaccy678
07-06-15, 01:25 PM
I kept trying to get the Tubacan but my contingency plan was to get three Lullabisons and keep one as a "baby" and level up one to 15 to be the "daddy" and the other to 10 to be the "mummy." Not the musical family I'd originally wanted, but fun nonetheless.

Lol, for some reason I've kept all my families are single-parent families.

I'm sure my poor Glacial Griiffin and Bamboon mamas must really struggle with their Level 1 twins ;) ;) ;)

Bravosii
07-06-15, 01:32 PM
I have twin boys; they're now six. Believe me, being a single Mum on twins is NOT an ideal solution! It can be done, but, dang! Poor Griffin and Bamboon. Let them know they have my sympathy!

sweetdeda
07-06-15, 03:14 PM
Awesome post Bravosli!

FigmentValley
07-06-15, 03:37 PM
The more frustrating obstacles I encounter the more I find myself simply not caring any more. I used to be extremely addicted to DS but pretty much got or did everything there was to do there. This game has quickly evolved into a DS clone, though more frustrating, fraught with a much higher percentage of failure. Inconsistent rules and indecipherable percentages add to the anger.

I refuse to sit quietly and let them throw ridiculous frustrations at me continually. Failure after failure after failure adds up. I care less and less.

I suspect as the level of personal apathy rises the game will fall by the wayside. There are plenty more games available that are fun and give pleasure. I choose pleasure and "success" over failure and frustration.

luna2cute
07-06-15, 04:01 PM
Love the post! Thanks for reminding us to gave fun and enjoy ourselves.

Now where is my Chilly Goat? ;)

ogreve
07-07-15, 02:00 AM
1. Keep reminding yourself, "It is only a game." I often need to tell such obvious conclusions to my children, and then realize that I ought to be repeating the same thing to myself when frustration occurs.

2. Without making gem purchases, it is impossible to win every tournament, breed every animal, and complete every goal. This is in large part a game of chance, so even with a brilliant mathematical mind filled with detailed logarithms to maximize your chances of success, you'll still lose some. Accept it, loosen up, and celebrate your successes. If you do happen to be mathematically-inclined (and a wee bit obsessive) take the time to calculate your odds of actually succeeding and make that your goal, not 100% success. Or better yet, evaluate the odds of success of someone who does not have an understanding of how to maximize their success mathematically, and compare you're results with that. You're guarunteed to exceed those expectations every time!

Only too true! :D
This is what actually has been my strategy too since starting playing this game. It's easy to get enticed into constantly buying gems to get ALL the cool stuff, but that really starts to add up. I long since decided to not get frustrated over not getting ALL animals in the game. I don't mind spending some money on games I like, but your point nr. 1 is what I keep reminding myself of too. So far I've twice bought a "250 bowl of gems" when it was at a 30% discount. That then means I've got 13.98 Euros in the game so far. Tonight I'm close to 100% sure that I'll buy the Nightmare, which will be the first animal I'll buy. After that, there will be almost no gems left, but well, so be it. If something like a comparable Unicorn sale comes along (i.e.: a Crystal Unicorn for 280 gems) I'm likely to buy TWO of them. I don't think I'd easily buy other animals, with a possible exception of one single Treasure animal (for combat purposes).

As for your point number two: that's EXACTLY how I approach it too. You can see some examples of this "coldly calculating out" of strategies, including secondary goals and desired "collateral damage", in these three posts of mine (all within the same thread, so you can see how matters get adjusted too) of the past few days:
1) Initial strategy: http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?82838-NEW-EXPANSIONS-HAVE-ARRIVED-And-three-previous-animals-too!&p=1138012&viewfull=1#post1138012
2) Adjusted strategy mid-way: http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?82838-NEW-EXPANSIONS-HAVE-ARRIVED-And-three-previous-animals-too!&p=1138350&viewfull=1#post1138350
3) The "end game" contingency plan: http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?82838-NEW-EXPANSIONS-HAVE-ARRIVED-And-three-previous-animals-too!&p=1138542&viewfull=1#post1138542

I know my posts are lengthy, as I'm a rather quick typer and I like to post "complete" information. I do hope such posts help others though. As long as even only as few as 1 person is prevented from becoming frustrated with the game by these posts, then the mission has been a success. :)
They do at least also help me myself by documenting a "plan" and laying out a strategy for at least getting "something good" (and making general progress with my forest in more than 1 way) out of impossible goals like trying to breed for no less than 4 (!) announcedly so limited animals (3 of which super rares and 1 rare) all at the same (possibly) very limited time. :S

To everyone: let it all stay fun, and GOOD LUCK!!! :D

calvinxx
07-07-15, 02:15 AM
These posts clearly show everyone's dedication and love for this game and that makes my heart happy :) With that being said I've come to the point of losing my mind tonight lol it's almost 6am and I spent over 1000 gems speed breeding for the Confetti Yeti. I needed to see it on my nest before I went to sleep. I finally just purchased more gems (as I had used every last one I had) and bought the Yeti. She is on the nest now. The first creature I ever actually purchased from the shop. I'm not sure whether I am happy or insane or angry lol but I am going to sleep. At least my Grassquatch will have a wife now XD

Bravosii
07-07-15, 08:55 AM
Tired of seeing blanks that can no longer be filled in you album?

Another thing I do to keep me smiling and moving forward: Rather than counting the blank spaces of animals I can never, ever get, I count the number of blank stars that need to be filled. My album goal has less to do with the number of animals I have (although any animal that is not limited and/or retired is still fair game) but what percentage of animals I have successfully levelled up to maximum. Obviously, having at least one animal of every kind I own at level 15 is the ideal, but with new animals hatching, it's an ongoing challenge and yet is achievable (on a temporary basis at least). Maybe having a permanent goal of having at least 80% of my animals maxed out? Personally, I don't have to do the actual counting. I just get happy seeing more yellow stars than colourless ones.

⭐️⭐️⭐️ for everyone!

Lisa0107
07-11-15, 06:12 AM
These posts clearly show everyone's dedication and love for this game and that makes my heart happy :) With that being said I've come to the point of losing my mind tonight lol it's almost 6am and I spent over 1000 gems speed breeding for the Confetti Yeti. I needed to see it on my nest before I went to sleep. I finally just purchased more gems (as I had used every last one I had) and bought the Yeti. She is on the nest now. The first creature I ever actually purchased from the shop. I'm not sure whether I am happy or insane or angry lol but I am going to sleep. At least my Grassquatch will have a wife now XD

I am not sure why but I am laughing so hard over this post. I so feel your pain!