PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Story using up too much storage on my phone - advice please?

MOONmutt
06-21-15, 08:41 PM
Hopefully I'm posting to the right spot, I'm pretty new to the forums...

But anyway, Dragon Story is taking up so much space on my phone. My phone has 1.27GB of storage and Dragon Story is currently taking up 694MB of that. That number continues to grow as well. I'd guess it grows by 20MB a week. Is this normal? At this rate I'm going to have to uninstall DS soon... Is there anything I can do to about this? I've already uninstalled about all I can from my phone. My phone is awful but I can't afford anything else right now. If I do have to uninstall DS, will I be able to get back to my account in the future when I get a new phone? Any advice would be appreciated! I was really enjoying this game, I'd hate to have to uninstall it but it seems I'm running out of options.

[S8] Regina
06-22-15, 06:43 AM
Sorry to hear that! The game has many art assets and animation that requires space on a device. If you do uninstall the game, your account data will not be lost. In the future should you obtain a new device, be sure to remember your account details, such as gem count, level and profile name so that support@storm8 can help you restore your account.

MOONmutt
06-22-15, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your response Regina! I'll probably have to uninstall the game soon, but I'll remember to write down my account details. Hopefully in the future I can get a better phone and get back to my account. Thanks again!

[S8] Regina
06-23-15, 02:13 PM
Thanks for your response Regina! I'll probably have to uninstall the game soon, but I'll remember to write down my account details. Hopefully in the future I can get a better phone and get back to my account. Thanks again!

Glad I could help! ^_^

chuckyt888
06-27-15, 11:15 PM
It would be really nice if TL could get around this issue. There are ways to lessen the amount of data stored. The TL/Storm8 games store a disproportionate amount of data on the device as compared to other games with similar artifacts.

lunarpurple
08-30-16, 08:56 AM
Same story here. The game takes up 1.2Gb on my iPad. I need the space!

DanielleM84
09-05-16, 01:34 AM
Install app data into your SD Card to free up stone device space...

sherlock221bbaker
02-17-17, 02:56 PM
Install app data into your SD Card to free up stone device space...

I checked to see what's taking my space and found both dragon story and fantasy forest taking over 2GB each
The other teamlava games taking lesser amounts

My phones a newer one for me so won't be updating

I am a bit shocked at the space requirements

It's basically zapped most of my phone space leaving me wondering what I can do about it

I would not be keen to delete the apps.

There's no sd cards on iOS

kooky panda
02-17-17, 02:59 PM
Elsa;1257479']When you initially download the game, you download the base images, animations, sounds, etc. When you encounter new images through game progress, content updates, and visiting the images are cached so that you're not downloading an image every time you encounter it. It's for performance and efficiency. This is common for online apps that receive regular updates.

You can clear cache to delete the cache. :)

For iOS go to safari- settings- clear out data.

FireballFarm
03-01-17, 11:59 PM
DS was taking up 1.2 GB of space on my iPad. This seems pretty excessive when the details in the App Store say the game only uses 223 MB. Even with my progress, 1.2 GB is a lot more space than any of my other games use. I deleted my other S8 games (CS and FFS) a few months ago because they were eating up similarly large amounts of storage.

I deleted and reinstalled the app 2.5 days ago and that dumped a lot of junk- it went down to 694 MB, which is a reasonable amount of space for the game to be using. I was happy. But, ever since, it's been creeping back up again. In less than 3 days, the game is already back up to 915 MB and climbing, even though I'm not doing much. In that time, all I've done is collect coins, breeding (no new dragons), and evolving about 1.5 dragons per day. I did use maps to start an expansion earlier today and built one big yellow plateau. That's it. Why are these basic tasks eating up so much storage space on my device?

Also, shouldn't the updates be cleaning the app up? I was pretty shocked deleting and reinstalling the app dumped such a huge amount of junk. Having to do this every few days as a maintenance measure is not normal.

I'm not even a high level player, and I still have a lot of land left to clear. I'm nervous to see how much space the game will need when and if I do get to the highest levels and have even more stuff. :/

Rynetory2
03-02-17, 06:56 AM
Please see Community Manager's reply and try the suggestion in Post 9.

(Merged your thread to existing thread)

Mercy1st
03-02-17, 09:40 AM
We will probably uninstall for a while as well because there have been no new events in a long time and it doesn't seem as interesting anymore, what gives?

FireballFarm
03-02-17, 04:31 PM
Please see Community Manager's reply and try the suggestion in Post 9.

(Merged your thread to existing thread)

Thanks, but the answer provided does not answer any of my questions. And, it makes no sense that 'art assets and animations' are supposedly taking up all that space when deleting and reinstalling the app dumped over 1GB of unnecessary junk from the app. If that space were necessary for regular game play, it wouldn't have been freed up. It seems like the app is holding on to extraneous, temporary data instead of purging it- as apps that function well regularly do.

As for animations, all my dragons are moving and doing their thing just fine at 694 MB (and at yesterday's total of 915 MB, and at today's new total of 940 MB). The coin collecting and mining animations were working fine, too. The only other animations I can think of are the battle arena and friends' dragons- neither of which should be stored on my device or eating up my storage space.
Edit: I just visited one level 200 neighbor and it jumped from 940 MB to 998 MB (!), then settled at an even 1 GB when I returned to my Isles. Smh. So, the animation on other peoples' dragons is the culprit, I guess. That's messed up. :(

It's interesting that over a year ago, Moonmutt reported the app using the exact same number on the low end: 694 MB. Again, the description in App Store says only 233 MB is required for the game, not 694 MB, and not more than 1GB, which is where it eventually ends up.

Rynetory2
03-02-17, 07:49 PM
Why are these basic tasks eating up so much storage space on my device?

Storage space is used for new images which are cached. They increase with new activities in game progress, updates and visiting. Clearing your cache will free up space. For iOS go to safari- settings- clear out data.

Without the caching of these images, our games will need to download new images every time we play the game which takes time to download and eats into our data plan costing us more. I dont always clear my cache to save time and money.

Elsa;1257479']When you initially download the game, you download the base images, animations, sounds, etc. When you encounter new images through game progress, content updates, and visiting the images are cached so that you're not downloading an image every time you encounter it. It's for performance and efficiency. This is common for online apps that receive regular updates.

You can clear cache to delete the cache. :)