PDA

View Full Version : Tips for experienced players

Anyuszko
05-25-15, 02:40 AM
Hi all,

I want to give (and hear) some tips for those who are addicted to the game.
I completed all stages, currently I am lvl 28, and working on completing all stages to 3 stars to get all possible keys out of the game. (At this lvl puzzle pal attack is 154, gem attack is 60).
To date I completed first 98 stages to 3 stars. Hardest one was stage 38 (wasnt expected but yeah this level was the hardest for making it 3 stars).

How to complete stages with 3 stars

On early stages the best idea is to complete stages as soon as possible. With each remaining (unused) steps you will get 5000 points as a bonus at the end. On early stages it would rise your points to 3 stars easily.
Tip: do not try to get 3 stars when you first time on a stage. Come back when you are strong enough. Level up, get some pals, reach stages when you are able to fight with 4 pals, then go back to lower stages.

How to complete stages with 3 stars - higher stages

The upper strategy wont work on later stages. On stages where sometimes 2-400.000. points needed to reach 3 stars, no matter how fast you complete it, the leftover moves wont help you. You have to learn how to score a lot of points.
I found out that the best way to score a lot are the "post-points" (not an official name, I call them so). What are "post-points"? When you make any move, you will score just a little bit for every move. (Even if you blow up blasters, even when you clear near the complete stage with - for example - changing a bomb and a line blaster, which is really powerful.)
Instead, when you make a move (and score a bit) the game will fill the missing gems. And if during the re-filling some triples (or other combinations) happen, it disappears again - and you score A LOT. But only for those post-points: so, you score not for the move you make, but the moves happens after your move.
I found out that getting the most "post-points" is achievable with just one combination: and this one is when you change a potion with a bomb. This way, the potion+bomb combo will clear all gems that are colored as the bomb was; stage refills, you get scores, then after it the bomb blows once more and clears the colors which is the most at the moment. And this clearing is scored with post-point score: this way you get a A LOT of scores, just check your score line.
It is not easy to create a potion and get it next to a bomb, but on higher stages this is the only way to reach 3 stars.

Keys

There are 138 stages currently. If you complete all with 3 stars, you can gain a total of 414 keys. Plus seven gates with Lucien, each gives you 15 keys (105 altogether). That is an 519 total.
There are a few more ways to get keys: if you get all 6 pals of one type, you gain a bonus pal, plus 10 keys. Also there is a "quest" ongoing, with what after getting 10 (20, 30,..) pals you get some keys.
Well that is not much, because you will need much more keys to get and upgrade all pals.
If you decide to buy all the missing keys, it will cost you about 100 Euros.

Pals

There are altogether 7x4=28 common pals and 7x2=14 rares. Also, there are 8 "super collection" type pals, which you can get as bonuses if you complete 6 of one type pals.
You need 15 keys for getting or upgrading a pal, so theoretically - if you want to have and upgrade all pals - you will need 1260 keys for the commons and 630 for the rares. Thats a total of 1890 keys, compairing to the maximum of ~5-600 that you can earn by playing the game.

Rare pals

Theoretically when you gain 15 keys, you may have a new pal, including rares. But to date I only got one rare (at the beginning), Phoebe, which as I heard some other ppl got, but no other one.
Once I bought 4 other rares for 240 gold. Seems to me that getting rares can be obtained by gold, and not keys.
Rare pals are nice, but - to be true - they have no big use. In most cases, most stages, I only use bombers and line blasters, and no rares.

Upgrading pals

For the common ones, it is easy, whenever you get 15 keys, you have the chance to get a new pal or upgrading an old one. (It is total random as I saw.) When you upgrade a pal, it will need one less requirement for attacking (one less gem).
I have no idea how to upgrade a rare pal. Perhaps it can be upgraded the same way, but for me never succeeded to upgrade one. (To be true, if rares can be upgraded by gold only, it would be a very bad idea, no pal worths 60 golds to upgrade.)
Also, I have absolute no idea how to upgrade "super collection" types. I have a theory which I could not prove: as you can have the supers when you have 6 pals of the same type, perhaps you can upgrade it whenever all these 6 pals are upgraded also. What is a fact, that after getting the super one the "collect" button did not appeared (just went back black, not-in-use), so maybe it can be used again ("collect" again to upgrade super when all other 6 are upgraded). Again, it is just a theory, which I cannot prove (yet).

To be continued.... until, I wonder your opinions.

pundoggity
05-25-15, 06:37 AM
Hi all,

I want to give (and hear) some tips for those who are addicted to the game.
I completed all stages, currently I am lvl 28, and working on completing all stages to 3 stars to get all possible keys out of the game. (At this lvl puzzle pal attack is 154, gem attack is 60).
To date I completed first 98 stages to 3 stars. Hardest one was stage 38 (wasnt expected but yeah this level was the hardest for making it 3 stars).

How to complete stages with 3 stars

On early stages the best idea is to complete stages as soon as possible. With each remaining (unused) steps you will get 5000 points as a bonus at the end. On early stages it would rise your points to 3 stars easily.
Tip: do not try to get 3 stars when you first time on a stage. Come back when you are strong enough. Level up, get some pals, reach stages when you are able to fight with 4 pals, then go back to lower stages.

How to complete stages with 3 stars - higher stages

The upper strategy wont work on later stages. On stages where sometimes 2-400.000. points needed to reach 3 stars, no matter how fast you complete it, the leftover moves wont help you. You have to learn how to score a lot of points.
I found out that the best way to score a lot are the "post-points" (not an official name, I call them so). What are "post-points"? When you make any move, you will score just a little bit for every move. (Even if you blow up blasters, even when you clear near the complete stage with - for example - changing a bomb and a line blaster, which is really powerful.)
Instead, when you make a move (and score a bit) the game will fill the missing gems. And if during the re-filling some triples (or other combinations) happen, it disappears again - and you score A LOT. But only for those post-points: so, you score not for the move you make, but the moves happens after your move.
I found out that getting the most "post-points" is achievable with just one combination: and this one is when you change a potion with a bomb. This way, the potion+bomb combo will clear all gems that are colored as the bomb was; stage refills, you get scores, then after it the bomb blows once more and clears the colors which is the most at the moment. And this clearing is scored with post-point score: this way you get a A LOT of scores, just check your score line.
It is not easy to create a potion and get it next to a bomb, but on higher stages this is the only way to reach 3 stars.

Keys

There are 138 stages currently. If you complete all with 3 stars, you can gain a total of 414 keys. Plus seven gates with Lucien, each gives you 15 keys (105 altogether). That is an 519 total.
There are a few more ways to get keys: if you get all 6 pals of one type, you gain a bonus pal, plus 10 keys. Also there is a "quest" ongoing, with what after getting 10 (20, 30,..) pals you get some keys.
Well that is not much, because you will need much more keys to get and upgrade all pals.
If you decide to buy all the missing keys, it will cost you about 100 Euros.

Pals

There are altogether 7x4=28 common pals and 7x2=14 rares. Also, there are 8 "super collection" type pals, which you can get as bonuses if you complete 6 of one type pals.
You need 15 keys for getting or upgrading a pal, so theoretically - if you want to have and upgrade all pals - you will need 1260 keys for the commons and 630 for the rares. Thats a total of 1890 keys, compairing to the maximum of ~5-600 that you can earn by playing the game.

Rare pals

Theoretically when you gain 15 keys, you may have a new pal, including rares. But to date I only got one rare (at the beginning), Phoebe, which as I heard some other ppl got, but no other one.
Once I bought 4 other rares for 240 gold. Seems to me that getting rares can be obtained by gold, and not keys.
Rare pals are nice, but - to be true - they have no big use. In most cases, most stages, I only use bombers and line blasters, and no rares.

Upgrading pals

For the common ones, it is easy, whenever you get 15 keys, you have the chance to get a new pal or upgrading an old one. (It is total random as I saw.) When you upgrade a pal, it will need one less requirement for attacking (one less gem).
I have no idea how to upgrade a rare pal. Perhaps it can be upgraded the same way, but for me never succeeded to upgrade one. (To be true, if rares can be upgraded by gold only, it would be a very bad idea, no pal worths 60 golds to upgrade.)
Also, I have absolute no idea how to upgrade "super collection" types. I have a theory which I could not prove: as you can have the supers when you have 6 pals of the same type, perhaps you can upgrade it whenever all these 6 pals are upgraded also. What is a fact, that after getting the super one the "collect" button did not appeared (just went back black, not-in-use), so maybe it can be used again ("collect" again to upgrade super when all other 6 are upgraded). Again, it is just a theory, which I cannot prove (yet).

To be continued.... until, I wonder your opinions.

Excellent advice! What you have written is great info for all players.
I have 3 stars on every stage (level 30/max) and would recommend your thread be read by anyone else who is trying to do the same :)
I do have a similar playing style to yours the only difference is that I don't move to next stage until I achieve 3 stars... Only because I prefer to stretch the game out while waiting for new levels.
I also find it easier on my memory, so it doesnt take me as long to figure out which team worked best on that particular level lol

Looking forward to more levels & stages

Anyuszko
05-25-15, 07:35 AM
Thank you :) by any chance, can you answer some of my questions? Could you be able to upgrade any rare? Or perhaps super collection?

Anyuszko
05-25-15, 07:51 AM
Some more tips:

Quitting stage

Some stages starts with always the same layout. But most stages differs with every start. If you start a stage, you can leave it without loosing your energy but ONLY if you do not make any move.
You can see an example here. On this stage (60) it is very important to clear the two vortexes as soon as possible (to be able to hit the opponent), but especially the lower vortex is hard to clear. But you can leave and restart the stage as often as you want without loosing your energy, to get an ideal start where you can clear the lower vortex in first move, like now:

Note you cannot leave first stages where new gems are introduced. On these stages the game forces you to make specific moves.

pundoggity
05-25-15, 09:59 AM
Thank you :) by any chance, can you answer some of my questions? Could you be able to upgrade any rare? Or perhaps super collection?

Sorry I cant tell you anymore than you already know. I have 3 rares from keys (just lucky I guess) but none upgraded as yet. I too have found bombs and blasters most effective in the game. The one rare I sometimes use is Van for clearing 3x vortex. I assume they upgrade like the commons but if they dont - I certainly dont think they are worth spending gold on just to upgrade.
Bandit is my most recent rare addition, Im sure he will come in handy in future stages. I havent had chance to use him yet, waiting on more stages.

yorkeme
06-03-15, 12:07 AM
All of my Puzzle Pal collections are complete up to the current stage & area I am playing now (Kooky Carnival stage 117, Level 27). BTW I am stuck on 117.

I have NEVER used gold to get a rare pal. Once your four "regular " pals in the collection are fully charged, it only takes 15 keys to get a rare pal. Most likely the next 15 keys you spend will only make the first "rare" pal stronger before you will get the last/6th pal for that collection. I have only one time gotten the last/6th/rare pal prior to my 5th pal being fully charged, which was the Kooky Troupe collection.

A hint I like to use if I don't get 3 stars and want to move on to the next stage.....I take a screenshot of my puzzle pal team used to complete that stage before moving on to the next stage and possibly changing my team. There is no way I could commit to memory the exact team combinations for every level so this helps me when I want to go back to a previous stage to get my 3 stars.

I do have 2 questions. How can a player get more Gold without buying it? (I already linked to FB and got that free gold). How do I beat stage 117?

yorkeme
06-03-15, 12:15 AM
Also, to put the key calculations a bit more simply:

There are 8 puzzle pal collections as of now with 6 pals each. It takes 45 keys to fully charge each pal. So 6 pals times 45 keys each times 8 collections = 2,160 keys to complete the collections. This does not include the Pals in the Super Collections.

Anyuszko
06-03-15, 10:09 PM
All of my Puzzle Pal collections are complete up to the current stage & area I am playing now (Kooky Carnival stage 117, Level 27). BTW I am stuck on 117.

I have NEVER used gold to get a rare pal. Once your four "regular " pals in the collection are fully charged, it only takes 15 keys to get a rare pal. Most likely the next 15 keys you spend will only make the first "rare" pal stronger before you will get the last/6th pal for that collection. I have only one time gotten the last/6th/rare pal prior to my 5th pal being fully charged, which was the Kooky Troupe collection.

Not sure how you did this. The game allows you to get just a few keys. You need 4x more keys to get all pals (fully charged) than you can collect from completing all lvls on 3 stars.

yorkeme
06-07-15, 10:21 AM
I am mostly home bound on disability and this game is my one endulgence every day. I bought gold to buy keys to complete some of my collections.

Anyuszko
06-10-15, 12:27 AM
I am mostly home bound on disability and this game is my one endulgence every day. I bought gold to buy keys to complete some of my collections.

IC. Did you succeeded stage 117?
To answer your other question, I saw no way to get golds free in this game.

yorkeme
06-12-15, 07:31 PM
Yes Anyuszko. I am currently working on stage 144 and am at power level 30. 144 is proving to be quite a challenge.

That is unfortunate to hear that there are no additional options built into the game to earn free gold.

How is your game progress going ?

Anyuszko
06-15-15, 01:51 AM
Yes Anyuszko. I am currently working on stage 144 and am at power level 30. 144 is proving to be quite a challenge.

That is unfortunate to hear that there are no additional options built into the game to earn free gold.

How is your game progress going ?

Nice work. :) I am done with new levels, however now I am re-playing all to 3 stars. Currently at stage 104, finished all stages up to 103 on 3 stars, now progressing further.

I saw on one screenshot some of your collections, nice. :) But as I counted earlier, it would take around 100 euros for me of buying gold for getting enough keys to get all pals. It does not worth me. Still nice to see your collection. :)

jim23cash
06-15-15, 12:03 PM
I have finished all levels with 3 stars, and am anxiously awaiting more levels!! I hope they release more soon!

laylaaj
06-22-15, 04:17 PM
I have a query...not sure if I'm missing something but i too have done all the completed levels so I'm going back through to try and get 3 stars on all. So on one level that was previously 1 star I managed to get it to 2 stars this time and earn another key, although the score I got was several thousand less than the original score?!
So what im basically saying is my higher score got me 1 star first time round and lower score earnt me 2. I just wondered if I'm missing something on how stars are earned, as the original post in this thread seems to confirm it is all points based.

yorkeme
06-23-15, 10:49 PM
The same thing happened to me too laylaaj. I emailed Storm8 support and this is their response:

Diamond Quest is a single player game with social aspects. There are leaderboard rankings in-game where new players can play and try to beat existing high scores. As more players play the existing levels, the highest scores that can be attained may increase and lower scores may be worth more stars.

Please note that changes to features or prices may occur as you continue to play the game. We continue to make adjustments to the game's economy and balance to ensure the prolonged quality of the game for both new and existing users.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

Regards,
Support Agent Claire

laylaaj
07-19-15, 04:09 AM
Thanks yorkeme! Glad I wasn't going crazy haha.

yorkeme
07-19-15, 07:12 AM
Thanks yorkeme! Glad I wasn't going crazy haha. Glad I could help laylaaj! Some stages of this game can drive a person crazy though!! LOL. How's your game progress going? I am STUCK at 218. I've tried teams that other players have been successful with and still can't get past it! Now I'm the one who's crazy right now! Hahaha

pcsgal
07-25-15, 05:42 AM
How did I not know you can use same color gems to remove "locked" or trapped arrows? Just accidentally found that out. Doh!

yorkeme
08-27-15, 09:21 AM
Posted a new thread and wanted to get it out to as many players as possible.

http://forums.storm8.com/images/icons/icon8.png Storm8 CHANGING PUZZLE PAL ability mid-game!!!!
:mad:My fellow Diamond Quest friends, I am steaming mad right now. I can't believe that Storm8 has gone in and CHANGED the ability of the puzzle pal Anubis mid-game!!!!

Here are the two descriptions for this Pal. I am speechless!! How do you feel about this?

http://forums.storm8.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23235&d=1440690332&thumb=1 (http://forums.storm8.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23235&d=1440690332) This is screenshot of Anubis PRIOR to my report of the problem that Anubis was no longer CLEARING one light box after matching 19 yellow gems.

http://forums.storm8.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23236&d=1440690471&thumb=1 (http://forums.storm8.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23236&d=1440690471) This is a screen shot from today when I noticed that Anubis was still only CHARGING one light box instead of CLEARING IT!

I guess this means they can go in at any time and change the ability of ANY puzzle pal. I wonder if they have already done this for other puzzle pals too???!!!!!

I am contemplating deleting this game. Some of you have never spent a dime playing this game and that's great for you. I, on the other hand, HAVE bought gold from Storm8 for purposes of completing my puzzle pal collections and for the purposes of extending my game play lives! I am feeling robbed by Storm8!

I feel that the only right and honorable thing to do would be for Storm8 to restore the ability of Anubis, and any other puzzle pals they have done this to, to it's original ability! Please show your support here!

Emily / yorkeme

Anyuszko
09-21-15, 07:17 AM
A few word about how some pets are working (cutted out from another thread):

- Pets that gives you bomb, blaster or potion (or any of these combinations, such as rares or members of the "super collection"s) working all the same way: They do not "give" you bomb-blaster-potion; instead, they are changing (replacing) one of your existing (matching color) gem into it. With other words, if you use Wolfie (14 blue gems for a liner) it will give you a (blue) liner only if - when charged - you have at least one blue colored gem on your playing table. If at that moment you have no "free" blue gem available, Wolfie will give you no liner. (Still it will attack, so it will take away some life points from your enemy.)

- Typically, if you play on a level, where there are blue gems, and you use Wolfie, you will probably always have blue gems available when Wolfie is "charged" so probably you will always get your blue liner.

- But beware with petz like Edgar. It charges with pink gems and gives you red and blue bomb. But if you have no blue or red gem on the playing table you get no bomb.

- Logically, all this situations are similar to other petz: Like, if you use a pet that will remove one vortex/arrow/stone etc., and you have no vortex/arrow/stone left (because you already removed all or never had on that lvl), the pet will remove nothing, but it will still attack.

Anyuszko
09-21-15, 08:11 AM
And a little more detailed description about those stones-that-are-turning-to-5-gem type obstacles.

Check attached picture. On this stage (251) you have to collect 70 yellow gems to win (among others). But if you check the stage, you will see that there are no yellow gems on it (and if you clear level, yellow gems still not dropping, only green, red, pink and light blue).
You can get your needed yellow gems from destroying those stone type obstacle (see red arrows). Each obstacle when destroyed counts you as 5 gems. Funny part is, that when you destroy those obstacles, and get 5 yellow stone in your counter, it also can fill and light all yellow pets.

However I do not recommend to use those yellow pets (see on picture). Since - as I earlier said - when you fill Theo (as an example) you will not get any yellow bomb, coz there is no yellow gem on the table. However you can use Anubis, and benefit its "charges 1 lamp" bonus (note you will not get bomb).

Later I will explain how you can benefit from those obstacles when there are arrows on the stage.

yorkeme
09-21-15, 09:04 PM
Applause Applause Applause !!! Nice job on your newest hints! Thank you for caring enough to take the time to post your game hints here!

You did an excellent job with both your explanations and your visual aids! Well done my friend!

pcsgal
09-23-15, 04:27 AM
And a little more detailed description about those stones-that-are-turning-to-5-gem type obstacles.

Check attached picture. On this stage (251) you have to collect 70 yellow gems to win (among others). But if you check the stage, you will see that there are no yellow gems on it (and if you clear level, yellow gems still not dropping, only green, red, pink and light blue).
You can get your needed yellow gems from destroying those stone type obstacle (see red arrows). Each obstacle when destroyed counts you as 5 gems. Funny part is, that when you destroy those obstacles, and get 5 yellow stone in your counter, it also can fill and light all yellow pets.

However I do not recommend to use those yellow pets (see on picture). Since - as I earlier said - when you fill Theo (as an example) you will not get any yellow bomb, coz there is no yellow gem on the table. However you can use Anubis, and benefit its "charges 1 lamp" bonus (note you will not get bomb).

Later I will explain how you can benefit from those obstacles when there are arrows on the stage.

Big hugs to you! You are always so helpful and generous. Thank you!