PDA

View Full Version : Input please? To sell duplicate animals or not to sell???

sweethutch
05-24-15, 02:39 PM
Hi everyone! So I'm at a junction in my forest where I make way more money than I could ever spend (currently over 81 million) and I'm trying to decide if I want to start selling duplicate animals. Most of my duplicates are super rares, as I have already sold off most of my duplicate commons. The reasoning behind me wanting to sell some is so that my forest doesn't look so cluttered. I have enough duplicates I could sell that would allow me to get rid of a few habitats, thus being able to space things out and decorate more! My question is am I not thinking of anything that might benefit me from keeping all duplicates? I know of course in quests like the truffle shuffle, it's handy if you already had a couple spare hedgehogs so you didn't have to wait to bred one. Other then income, is there any other benefits to keeping duplicates? I sure would love it if there was other ways to spend our coins!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

RorJam
05-24-15, 05:48 PM
I can't think of any reason to keep duplicates other than if it's a favorite of yours. I keep duplicates of some fav breeds because when they're epic they're not as cute lol, I keep duplicates of any limited I breed and any gem or treasure. I used to keep duplicates when trying to make millions but now I'm out of room and just broke the 100 million mark. I think there's No benefit that I see of keeping them.

sweethutch
05-24-15, 06:26 PM
Thanks RorJam, I pretty much do the same as you. I agree that some epic animals are U-G-L-Y! Lol! For instance, my newly epic hedgehog. Yuck!!!! Lol! I have a duplicate of one of the space critters but since I wasn't able to breed the elusive caturn, I'm keeping it to fill the space habitat. Of course, I keep duplicate unicorns and ultra rares but I think it's time to part with some of my super rares. I am hoping by getting some space freed up I can decorate a bit and maybe find some enjoyment in this game again. Lately it's been nothing but frustration!

Any other strategic players want to weigh in?

matiasabad94
05-24-15, 07:34 PM
I find no reason to keep duplicates. As you said, it makes your forest look cluttered when it could be more exotic and diverse, if you get what I mean. Also, it saves you A LOT of space.

Personally, I keep a second Plutopus because I missed the Caturn, and three Magmacores (baby, juvenile and adult) in one habitat because they look cute.

In the end, it's all up to you!

MaribouMay
05-24-15, 08:26 PM
I would keep baby rare animals. The Pigmy and Cactus Kitsune goals show that having a spare rare can be quite handy.

LonePudding
05-25-15, 01:30 AM
I am nowhere near you situation yet, I have about 11 million coins and 50 something animals, most are commons and rares. If I was in your situation though, I would keep them in case the option to trade animals comes along someday.

chippychan
05-25-15, 04:10 AM
I would keep baby rare animals. The Pigmy and Cactus Kitsune goals show that having a spare rare can be quite handy.

I second this & it's what I've started doing. I thought Cactus Kitsune was a one-off thing but with the Pigmy goal it seems like TL may be doing similar quests going forward.

I've started trying to keep an extra baby of rares (and super-rares if I have the room). I've also been keeping some commons but only if I have the room and I'll sell them in favour of a rare/super-rare if I don't have them yet. Space is getting a little tight since I started doing this though, so it's made expanding a bit more of a priority then it was before.

To be honest I was getting a little tired of just breeding 'fails' of animals I already had but now that I've decided to make 'pairs' it's gotten a little more interesting for me. :)

A2TUDE
05-25-15, 01:47 PM
The only duplicates I keep are the gem and treasures

I have all the animals so far and I just have enough room having doubles triples etc is really a waist of space you could use for a animal you don't have

Hope it helps you can visit my isle if you'd like my ID is a2tude

Clark_Wayne
05-25-15, 06:24 PM

Agree with mariboumay : i use to sell duplicates since i have no places for them, now i try to keep 1 baby rare for goals like cactus kitsune or the pigmy
This time i was lucky to get hedgehog in 2-3 days, but for the kitsune i had to spend gems because i couldn't breed the solar simian and the one i had was already level 10 :(

55lee55
05-26-15, 09:01 AM
The only duplicates I keep are the gem and treasures

I have all the animals so far and I just have enough room having doubles triples etc is really a waist of space you could use for a animal you don't have

Hope it helps you can visit my isle if you'd like my ID is a2tude

I am in the exact same position and I only keep gem and treasure duplicates too as a rule.

The only exception, and space constraints will soon see me selling them, are one duplicate level 10 ultra rare and one level 10 single element common that I use for breeding for two reasons. First, I like to keep all of my Epics available for battles. Second, I have had better success with breeding non-epic animals than I do with the Epics. I was keeping a level 10 Gold Lion to try breeding a second Golden Retriever but I can sell it as I recently bred the second and have no need for a duplicate Lion now.

I found that earning more than I can spend coincided with my shortage of space so I sold the duplicates that I have no compelling reason to keep. Like a2tude I have been here since the beginning and have a full album.

Those who started playing later or those who are missing animals may do better to keep duplicates, both high earners and babies because to do so may give you an advantage in breeding and help you earn many coins. We also have occasional quests that involve feeding existing animals so keeping those you don't plan to fight with as babies, or keeping duplicate babies might also be an advantage at times. Some keep duplicates for other reasons such as making families or because they like a particular animal. All of these are valid reasons to keep duplicates and I have used most of these strategies as my Forest matured. All duplicate strategies work for someone and I would never put anyone down for either having or culling duplicates for any reason because duplicates can be an asset, neutral, or become a liability depending upon the stage an individual has reached in their gameplay.

I suspect that the only compelling reason to cull duplicates, other than personal preference would be when space constrictions come into play as they are currently doing in my Forest.

At this time my Forest is fully expanded and with 156 different animals I have little room for duplicates now and will soon be selling any duplicate gem animals I have been keeping with the exception of my second Crystal Unicorn which I use for breeding new gem animals. The last duplicates to go will be my single element breeders. If we don't get expansions by that time I will begin selling rares as they are common fails and easily replaced.

This is my duplicate strategy at this time, and like a2tude I invite visitors to visit my Forest using my ID: 55lee55

sweethutch
06-30-15, 10:39 PM
Hello everyone! I'm so sorry I never responded to many of your comments!!! Shortly after I started this thread, my life became very hectic for about a week and this thread got buried. By then, it was "out of sight, out of mind."
Many of you had great feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Since my original post, I have deleted the majority of my duplicate animals and have had fun with the extra spaces, using them for decorations and spacing out my animals just a tad. I'm personally quite a bit more satisfied now with the appearance of my forest and still have room to add a few more habitats as the need arises. Thanks again for all the input! If you'd like to take a look or add me as a neighbor, my ID is sweethutch

popcorn1958
07-01-15, 11:53 AM
I had a similar question when I saw this post but mine is slightly different it's not related to duplicate animals but duplicate elements I haven't been playing this game for long and wondered in terms of gaining coins for expansion should I consider selling my duplicate element animals
Sorry I have 63 different animals no duplicates except for ultra rares of which I have 2
The cost of expansion is ****ing me and I don't seem to be able to expand quick enough to house any new animals I breed I am also only thinking in terms of common animals if anyone would like to check out my island my id is popcorn

chippychan
07-01-15, 12:10 PM
I've often thought that if I absolutely NEEDED to sell some animals for space the first ones I would sell would the common 'pure' elements that can be easily bought again using coins (and not gems). These would be: Pyro Pony, Pandaffodil, Rock Rhino, Frostfang, and Lightning Leopard.

The only reason I still have them is for use when breeding a particular 2-element animal I want, but this can really be done using other animals of the same combo I want. For example, if I am trying to the current Dripmunk I would use Rock Rhino (earth) & Frostfang (water) right now. But I *could* use Rainguin (water/earth) & Rockodile (water/earth) and I would have the same chance at the animal.

I hope that makes sense. :)

ogreve
07-01-15, 12:53 PM
I'm fully with Chippychan on this one. If I were to have the same space issues as e.g. 55lee55 mentions, I'd simply sell off a few of the commons that can be breed and/or bought in the blink of an eye. I would NOT sell any ultra-rare. Wow, I wish they could be sold to other players though, I'll tell ya what, I double the offer the game makes: 200 coins for an ultra-rare. :D
Seriously, even if your album then temporarily is incomplete, in due time that will be easy to fix. There are plenty of spaces in the game that are obviously "on hold" for being able to expand to and that can be released at any moment by TL.
If you have a Unicorn I can understand wanting to keep the single element commons, but then there are plenty of others that could easily (up to the point of annoyingness) be bred again. Things like the Armordillo, the Rainguin, the Turtisle and the Koala Cadabra come to mind. I've lost count on how many of those critters I have gotten in an looooooong series of exclusive fails on breeding ANY of the ultra rares...:S

SummerNightSky
07-01-15, 01:13 PM
The only duplicates I'd keep for sure:
--Treasure animals (You can only have 2 of each anyways).
--2 Crystal Unicorns (possibly duplicates of the other gem animals as well).

I don't really care about getting limited animals that were released before I played or ones I failed to optain (Sapybara, etc.). By that I mean, if there were an opportunity to get one of those limited animals in the future but it coincides with an opportunity to get a newly released limited, I'd focus on the new one. So that'll save me space (and frustration lol).

I'd feel terrible selling an animal I've had for a while. I don't feel so bad selling freshly hatched animals, I just pretend they are going to some sort of conservation program: "Disease decimating southern Armordillo populations. Help conserve the species by sending us your unwanted Armordillos!"