PDA

View Full Version : Age range

theguardiangirl55555
04-24-15, 01:30 PM
Hi! I want to recommend castle story to some of my friends but my friends are allllll ages. What age range would you say would have most fun and be more interested in the game? 10-15 maybe? :)

shambalaya
04-24-15, 01:45 PM
I think you'll find that most of us here on the forum are a lot older :rolleyes:
I think the game is enjoyable at all ages, it may even require more patience than most very young people are willing to put into it, and "officially" I believe you have to be 15 to play the game according to S8 rules.

mamareader02
04-24-15, 01:57 PM
Lol,yup,I believe a lot of us are older,I myself am 36,mom of a 9 yr old boy.i know grandmas play this also

PikaSquirrel
04-24-15, 03:31 PM
Please keep in mind that our games are not intended for use by children under 13 years of age. Thanks!

Anaboe
04-24-15, 03:32 PM
43 myself, and a friend (F) is also 43 and enjoys it...

Personally I think it's not suited for young children, or even young adolescents and teenagers. In order to achieve the goals (especially the timed goals) you not only need a lot of time (which they often do have), but also a lot of planning, strategy and dedication, and self-control in spending gems etc.

theguardiangirl55555
04-24-15, 08:37 PM
Okay thx everyone! I'll keep that in mind :)

katbtodd
04-25-15, 04:45 AM
Lol,yup,I believe a lot of us are older,I myself am 36,mom of a 9 yr old boy.i know grandmas play this also

I know a lot,of grandmothers that play

ginerp
04-25-15, 01:35 PM
My 14 year old and I really enjoy playing together. It's good bonding to be able to talk about it together and fun to have someone in your home who gets why FINALLY being able to craft that pink wing is so exciting. I get texts from my kid like "please send iron" that would be very mysterious if someone stole our phones!

Anaboe
04-25-15, 04:58 PM
A friend of mine has a son that plays Pet Shop Story, but he's too young to see how to combine animals and too young to find it out on-line. My stepmother plays Dragon Story, Bakery Story and Fashion story. She's a very lovely and kind woman, but not very smart, and can't read any english. Her store is beautiful, but she doesn't understand how the breeding concept works, and doesn't know why she sould be carefull with her gold/gems, nor does she understand that recepies have a grace-time and go bad after that. So she's always frustrated because she never reaches what she wants, no matter how many times I explain it to her.

To me, all these games are about mathematics. You can calculate almost anything. If you have fun with random clicking, putting random dragons in the breeding den, mine at random places, battle with random opponents, go ahead, have fun. But you'll loose almost everything, you won't make enough pieces to craft those dragons, you won't have enough gold to get you through the last round of the tournament. The same goes with Castle-story, if you don't plan ahead, don't save your gems for rough times, don't keep a full inventory, you will have a very hard time to reach any of the timed goals.

If that's ok with the player, fine. To me it's definately not ok, I want to reach each and every goal, with spending as little gems as possible.

But I think children (and random clicking-players, like my stepmother) will be frustrated and leave, because they never reach what they aim for. Therefor I don't know if these are good games for children.

Voodoo87
04-26-15, 11:28 AM
I am a grandma, prefer meemaw, I'm 53 and both my daughters play 28, 26 several of the games. My 7 yr old granddaughter loves to help me. I fell it's all in what you like and the feeling of accomplishment when you complete a goal. Also age is a part of it but mental ability also plays a big role

55lee55
04-26-15, 01:00 PM
I will be 60 in less than a month. I don't think you ever get too old to enjoy playing Castle Story :D

zoeee87
04-27-15, 04:47 PM
I'm 28, been playing since it came out. Pretty sure all my friend think I'm crazy obsessed.

Jir67
04-28-15, 02:28 AM
I'm a 47... My 7 yr old son play his game, usually with me...
:)

TinksThots
04-28-15, 02:55 AM
Ditto what most of them said. This game requires almost constant strategizing and often cross referencing of multiple tasks at once while keeping your stock balanced with limited energy and resources... it's almost too much for the human mind itself sometimes, let alone one that hasn't fully developed its ability to maintain its sanity under that kind of pressure. I dramatize, but only slightly. O_o

(31 and barely hanging on XD)

sulu43
04-28-15, 08:27 PM
I'm 71 and I love this game! A better memory would probably help though......

anurulz
04-28-15, 08:58 PM
Am 30 and am a gaming addict...and as a psychiatrist, unfortunately i KNOW tht is now a legitimate disorder...lol

bethaneyl
04-29-15, 02:18 AM
This game requires almost constant strategizing and often cross referencing of multiple tasks at once while keeping your stock balanced with limited energy and resources..

Very accurate description :) Hope u don't mind I might post on my wall ...

Most of the Neighbors / players I have encountered are 30+ ... The teens I know are all about instant gratification ...they just don't have the patience these games require. Same goes for children ....
However I do think it can be a useful teaching tool & bonding exp for parent/child or grandparent/grandchild if playing together.

I'm 33 and a complete gaming addict ...tho some of the goals & events have made me half crazy ( well crazier ) ...lol

Found this interesting bit ...was curious bout women gamers..
The average age of someone who plays games is 31 years old. In fact, more gamers are over the age of 36 than between the ages of 18 to 35 or under the age of 18. They are also mostly men, but by a slimming margin. Men make up 52 percent. From 2012 to 2013, the number of women gamers over the age of 50 grew by 32 percent.

orleansparish
04-29-15, 02:34 AM
Younger teens would enjoy this game too. Even without buying gems, there are many ways to save them and use them when needed. It isn't about mental ability, but patience and want of adventure. Most folks playing these high selling games are teenagers and 20 something's. But they have to want to play based on what the game has to offer. As opposed to playing because someone else thinks it's fun.

purpledatura852
04-29-15, 05:48 AM
I'm 35. I'm married with a 6 year old daughter and work part time. This may be my guilty pleasure, but I'd say that you'd probably need to be over 13 to play.

my2place
04-29-15, 07:05 AM
From 2012 to 2013, the number of women gamers over the age of 50 grew by 32 percent.

That would be me! 54 here, have a degree in Math and work P/T from home. This is the first game that I've been totally addicted to - I think it requires the perfect balance of strategy, resource and time management, artistic eye (love the graphics!) and interaction with other players. Yes, my guilty pleasure!

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be appropriate for all young teens, but just not sure if they have the time and patience it would take ...

NorthWoodsKingdom
04-29-15, 07:34 AM
(edit)....From 2012 to 2013, the number of women gamers over the age of 50 grew by 32 percent.
This looks like the thread to reveal one's real age and ...well, I ain't going there, lol. I'll just say my *forever* age is 27, lol.
But I will venture to say the stat quoted above is even HIGHER than 32%, if it were to include all women over the age of 30, lol.
And I think I have a pretty good inkling why, too..well, at least initially......to have something to do while all of our MEN are gaming!! LOL

Ps..to get back on original topic - I wouldn't recommend this game to tweens or teens; it takes wayyyy more patience than they've developed at that age, lol.

LadyEna
04-29-15, 07:38 AM
<--- Is 52, holding @ 49

reliquary
04-29-15, 10:51 AM
Lol...
....I grew up in the targeted age of the first Nintendo
....I have booted DOS...lol!
....in school we used an Apple 2e
....we learned to program a "turtle" to move around the screen on those computers...big fun...lol
....the first computer I bought myself ran Apple Classic
....i taught myself C++ and how to use the first Photoshop, because it's "fun"
....my very first email address is almost 20 years old
....I have lots of tattoos, weird hair and live in the Bay Area
....I am a product of my generation .....a pre & post technology 30 something self identifying dorky female.
...of course I play lotsa games:)

reliquary
04-29-15, 11:12 AM
.....and omg Miss NW....the games we will have when we go into the old folks homes.....they will be AWESOME!

30-40 years into the future, when we are swatting cats and small children with canes.....the gaming industry will peak.

The visuals and development of games will be unimaginable to even conceive of now......can't wait...lol!
We will look back to our little iPads and iphones and give a little chuckle to games like castle story:)

Wonkaland99
04-29-15, 11:16 AM
I'm 71 which is equal to the oldest revealed so far. I have only been playing a couple of months but am totally addicted at the moment, and all other games are on hold. CS is brilliant for senior citizens to keep the old brain active - economic theory, mathematics, multi tasking, memory s****s - the list goes on.

nessa005
04-29-15, 11:25 AM
65 on Friday! Where have the last 20 years gone, it seems like yesterday I was turning 45! I "taught computers" to primary classes back in the old days. My favourites were Math Blaster, a typing program ( can't remember the name!) and for fun it was Kings Quest 1. I love CS because it doesn't say " You can't do that, at least not now" as it always did in Kings Quest! That sentence has become a family favourite and was used very frequently when the children were teenagers!

ndtrance
04-29-15, 12:35 PM
Very accurate description :) Hope u don't mind I might post on my wall ...

Most of the Neighbors / players I have encountered are 30+ ... The teens I know are all about instant gratification ...they just don't have the patience these games require. Same goes for children ....
However I do think it can be a useful teaching tool & bonding exp for parent/child or grandparent/grandchild if playing together.

I'm 33 and a complete gaming addict ...tho some of the goals & events have made me half crazy ( well crazier ) ...lol

Found this interesting bit ...was curious bout women gamers..
The average age of someone who plays games is 31 years old. In fact, more gamers are over the age of 36 than between the ages of 18 to 35 or under the age of 18. They are also mostly men, but by a slimming margin. Men make up 52 percent. From 2012 to 2013, the number of women gamers over the age of 50 grew by 32 percent.

That's me! Female, 31 turning 32 in September. I love gaming and I love playing S8 games. They are time consuming but I like that about them. I can play while watching baseball games on TV lol. I've noticed most of my neighbors are age 40+ with lots of wonderful grandmothers:). I don't have many younger neighbors, not teens anyway.

66Blondie124
04-29-15, 01:17 PM
I 25 and I play in the evening and in the morning, and when the son and daughter asleep.:)

PrincessPenelope3
04-30-15, 01:37 AM
Lol...
....I grew up in the targeted age of the first Nintendo
....I have booted DOS...lol!
....in school we used an Apple 2e
....we learned to program a "turtle" to move around the screen on those computers...big fun...lol
....the first computer I bought myself ran Apple Classic

....i taught myself C++ and how to use the first Photoshop, because it's "fun"
....my very first email address is almost 20 years old
....I have lots of tattoos, weird hair and live in the Bay Area
....I am a product of my generation .....a pre & post technology 30 something self identifying dorky female.
...of course I play lotsa games:)

Hahaha,
...I grew up in the age of Atari and Pong
...I also booted DOS :o
...in my high school both typing and computer science were optional, I opted not to...
...during my undergrad years, my university had a stipulation that undergrads could not be forced to type assignments so I hand wrote everything
...the Dean of my pharmacy school sent me to the Engineering dept to meet my requirement for a computer credit as I sucked at FORTRAN programming:p
...my very first email was less than 15 years ago
...today I don't know how I ever survived without google or my cell phone :o

dragon2046
04-30-15, 04:09 AM
I'm 43 with 2 boys. I grew up with Atari too! Space invaders and pac man. Oh how times have changed I remember my dads first cell phone it was the size of a house phone in a bag. Lol. What would we do without our technology?? Enjoy everyone :)

studio1859
04-30-15, 07:05 AM
I'm 61, work full time. I've three id's, one of which was started for my grandson. His interest was keen initially, but after a few months gone. And I'm so loving the game that I keep it going. Like others have mentioned, this game requires a committed dedication some age groups might not embrace.

PikaSquirrel
05-01-15, 11:26 AM
Hey guys, just a reminder to please keep in mind that our games are not intended for use by children under 13 years of age. Thank you!