PDA

View Full Version : More bad press for Team Lava and its shady ilk

Unregistered
02-08-11, 08:33 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020706073.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2011020706437

Enjoy your pricey clip art now, folks. Team Lava and its fellow predatory companies might soon get shut down.

Unregistered
02-08-11, 08:52 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020706073.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2011020706437

Enjoy your pricey clip art now, folks. Team Lava and its fellow predatory companies might soon get shut down.

This is nonsense. Not that I defend TL's shady practices such as gem traps and false advertising, but this isn't the case here. Right in the FAQ's it says "What if I don't want to pay anything ever"...The answer is to turn off in-app purchasing. Honestly, can these parents read? Do they take the trouble to do so??? Before I would let a child play a game, I would look into it more and read everything on there. These stories have been publicized for months now and if parents don't know to turn off in-app purchasing by now, then I have no sympathy for them.

deadpix
02-08-11, 09:01 AM
Hmm... interesting way of looking at that article.

I like the line which describes experts saying that in-app purchases "could create a new economy for newspapers, record labels and movie studios that have been struggling with ways to thrive online."

Personally, I don't see what the problem is. I educate my kids so that whenever they want to purchase or sell anything in any game, regardless of whether it's with real or play monies, they would be sure to consult with me, or my spouse, first; they've never failed to do so.

Unregistered
02-08-11, 09:34 AM
Microtransaction apps aren't there to prey on unsuspecting parents with children racking up charges for in game purchases. If it does happen, it's usually a 1 time thing like "oh my god, you just spent 100 bucks on gems" and they contact support to get it refunded. I'm sure it's just as much of a headache for the company as the irate parent.

The real travesty is how easy it is to spend gems accidentally :(

Unregistered
02-08-11, 03:43 PM

Where in the article is TeamLava mentioned? Sounds like you are just trying to stir up trouble.

Unregistered
02-09-11, 09:53 PM
The real problem, I think, is that Apple has the 15-minute window where you don't need to re-enter your password. Once, without realizing what he was doing, one of my young sons spent $3 to buy an ad-free version of a game. I wasn't too happy. I thought you always had to put in the password but he did it within the 15 minute window. Now what I do is make sure the ipod is always in "airplane mode" (no internet) before I let them play with it. But Apple really should make you put in your password every time.

Donnahh
02-11-11, 06:05 PM
Ok I read all of it. Essentially careless parents allow their kids on iPods and iPads UNSUPERVISED and wonder why they have bills racked up. My kids are not allowed to touch my iPod. We don't have a "family" iPad. There is no way in heck I would tell anyone my iTunes password. Hence, I've never been charged for anything I didn't download myself.

See, I have the solution. Be a responsible parent, or wear the expensive consequences. My children have DSI's and no problems yet with what they have downloaded. I just refuse to pay for Microsoft Points cards so they can download things they want but don't need. I have the restraint, because I am a parent. They don't. All that article did was point out how essential it is for parents to be vigilant and not leave their kids unattended on devices that have your credit card details attached to them.

Or maybe I just read the article differently to you? Or another article? Cause nowhere in it did I see blame apportioned to TeamLava, or their in-store Gems. It was Smurf Village, a 2nd grade child and her use of the 15 minute window "loophole" within the iTunes password cache. And she gave her parents a bill of $1200.

Again, I'm not letting my girls near my iPod. And they are grade 5 and 7. I just exercise common sense I guess?

Feeding the troll is not recommended, but it sure is fun!!

Unregistered
02-13-11, 12:41 AM
Nowhere was TL mentioned. I understand the point of the article. I do believe that a GREAT feature that would be an additional are you sure feature. That would reduce the accidental charges. I play trade Nations and my fingers click the buy more sometimes and the are you sure button comes up so I really appreciate that feature.