PDA

View Full Version : Making the most $ per hour?

Unregistered
02-07-11, 09:26 PM
So I know there are spreadsheets out there that are pretty impressive and show the profitability of certain dishes. I would like to know if there are people out there that just make food that yields the most coins per serving. It makes more sense to me to continuously make food like Roast Chicken (enough to last past when the next batch is served) and you will get the maximum hourly profit since there's only so many plates that can be served during an hour.

Or you can make Bagels over and over again, but you'll never reach the hourly profit that Roast Chicken can yield. Although you get more gold in proportion to Roast Chicken if you make enough Bagels, they don't get sold in the same amount of time and in order to reach the same profit, you'll be serving Bagels for many more hours than Roast Chicken, extra time in which more Roast Chicken can be made and keep getting served.

Am I making any sense? lol

deadpix
02-08-11, 01:55 AM
So I know there are spreadsheets out there that are pretty impressive and show the profitability of certain dishes. I would like to know if there are people out there that just make food that yields the most coins per serving. It makes more sense to me to continuously make food like Roast Chicken (enough to last past when the next batch is served) and you will get the maximum hourly profit since there's only so many plates that can be served during an hour.

Or you can make Bagels over and over again, but you'll never reach the hourly profit that Roast Chicken can yield. Although you get more gold in proportion to Roast Chicken if you make enough Bagels, they don't get sold in the same amount of time and in order to reach the same profit, you'll be serving Bagels for many more hours than Roast Chicken, extra time in which more Roast Chicken can be made and keep getting served.

Am I making any sense? lol

Yes, you are making perfect sense and there are a number of spreadsheets out there that attempt to explain what you're hoping to achieve. I have a couple myself that I've shared but the current one I'm working on is an attempt to show the most profitable combination of dishes to prepare based on the number of appliances a restaurant might have ... I'm not sharing it yet as it is incomplete because I've been too occupied to fully test the formulae.

Suffice to say, you don't want to be preparing Roast Chicken as it doesn't make as much money as you'd think; here's why:

First, you have to know that your restaurant, running at a rating of 100, can only serve 1,800 plates of food per hour, capping your daily limit at 43,200 plates.

With that in mind, lets try a couple of scenarios:

Roast Chicken/
Servings per cycle per appliance = 1,500
Time required per cycle = 48 hours (2 days)
Profit per serving (coins) = 6.33
Max servings per day with 11 appliances = (11 x 1,250)/2 = 8,250
Max profit = 8,250 x 6.33 = 52,222 coins

Bagels/
Servings per cycle per appliance = 100
Time required per cycle = 15 mins
Profit per serving (coins) = 2
Max servings per day with 11 appliances = (11 x 100 x 4 x 24) = 105,600
Max profit (capped at 43,200 servings per day) = 43,200 x 2 = 86,400 coins

Roast Turkey/
Servings per cycle per appliance = 1,100
Time required per cycle = 8 hours
Profit per serving (coins) = 2.9
Max servings per day with 11 appliances = (11 x 1,100 x 3) = 36,300
Max profit = 35,300 x 2.9 = 105,270 coins

Hope I'm not boring you :-) but simply from the calculations in the 3 scenarios above, you should be able to see how you might calculate the maximum profit per day per dish to arrive at the most profitable dish to prepare for your restaurant.

It gets more interesting when you consider the possibility that preparing a combination of dishes might actually make you more. Let's take for example that you had 9 ovens churning out Roast Chickens and 2 Ovens continuously making Bagels:

Max servings of Roast Turkey per day with 9 ovens = (9 x 1,100 x 3) = 29,700
Make 13,500 servings of Bagels with 2 ovens = (2 x 100 x 4 x 17hrs) approximately

Profit from Roast Turkey = 29,700 x 2.9 = 86,130
Profit from Bagels = 13,500 x 2 = 27,000

Total profit from preparing a combination of Roast Turkey and Bagels = 113,130 coins

If you're wondering why we should only let the bagels run for 17 hours instead of 24, its simply that if you had too many bagels laid out on the counters, your average profit per serving goes down. The reason for this is that the game serves from ALL your serving counters evenly. This is why restaurants with mountains of every different kinds of food don't make much money; there are just too many low profit dishes, causing the average profit per serving to really fall.

deadpix
02-08-11, 04:13 AM
It gets more interesting when you consider the possibility that preparing a combination of dishes might actually make you more. Let's take for example that you had 9 ovens churning out Roast Chickens and 2 Ovens continuously making Bagels:

I meant "Roast Turkeys".

Unregistered
02-08-11, 10:31 PM
Here are some numbers I ran about a month ago. The objective was to find the recipes that provided the most gold, assuming that you don't start with an excess of existing food items.

Assumptions: 11 cooking slots, 20x750 stew per day in gifts
(This gives a target is 153 meals per oven per hour)

The highest profit is a combination of Glazed Ham and Bagels, which gives a total of 5612 coins/hour (averaging in stew gifts). BUT, in order to keep the customers fed you would need 21.4 batches of bagels per batch of Glazed Ham. That isn't very attractive.

The best Roast Turkey combo is also with bagels, which gives 5293 coins/hour (averaging in stew). To get this you only need to make 2 batches of bagels per Roast Turkey, which is quite reasonable. Plus, they both use the same equipment. This is my favorite combo.

Here is a summary of combinations (ratio of batches in parenthesis) and payouts:

Glazed Ham/Bagels (1:21.4) - 5612 coins/hr
Glazed Ham/Portobello (1:2.2) - 5317 coins/hr
Glazed Ham/Shrimp Kebab (1:3.3) - 5233 coins/hr
Glazed Ham/Quesadilla (1:5.1) - 5109 coin/hr
Glazed Ham/French Toast (1:59) - 4985 coin/hr

Roast Turkey/Bagel (1:1.9) - 5293 coin/hr
Roast Turkey/Portobello (1:0.2) - 5203 coin/hr
Roast Turkey/Shrimp Kebab (1:0.3) - 5181 coin/hr
Roast Turkey/Quesadilla (1:0.5) - 5203 coin/hr
Roast Turkey/French Toast (1:5.4) - 5115 coin/hr

The other high sales price items (Roast Chicken, Apple Pie, Creme Brulee and Beef Stew) don't come close to the payout because of their lower throughput.

deadpix
02-09-11, 06:59 AM
Here are some numbers I ran about a month ago. The objective was to find the recipes that provided the most gold, assuming that you don't start with an excess of existing food items.

Assumptions: 11 cooking slots, 20x750 stew per day in gifts
(This gives a target is 153 meals per oven per hour)

<--snip-->

Hey, this is fantastic! :-)

I was always chose not to factor in the gifts in my computations because of the unpredictable nature of my neighbors' actions, but never considered that there would be players who had reliable ones.

Good job!!

Now if I could only figure out a way to allow a user to enter the number of appliance(s) he/she has instead of relying on multiple spreadsheets :-(

Unregistered
02-09-11, 03:06 PM
Hey, this is fantastic! :-)

I was always chose not to factor in the gifts in my computations because of the unpredictable nature of my neighbors' actions, but never considered that there would be players who had reliable ones.

Good job!!

Now if I could only figure out a way to allow a user to enter the number of appliance(s) he/she has instead of relying on multiple spreadsheets :-(

Okay, here is how the calculation works:

(1) First recognize that you will use 30 plates per minute, or 1800 per hour. Divide this by the number of appliances to get target rate per hour per appliance.
For example, if you have 8 appliances, your target rate (not including gifts) would be T=1800/8 = 225
plate/hr/appliance

(2) Next, pick two dishes in which you are interested to calculate profit and calculate the number of plates per hour for each item. For example, for Roast Turkey N1=138, for Bagel N2=400. Also, lets call the fraction of time spent on turkey f1, and the fraction of time spent on bagels, f2.

The following equations then hold true:
f1 + f2 = 1 (the fraction of time spent on turkey and bagels add to 100%) and
f1*N1 + f2*N2 = T (the total number of turkey and bagels per hour is equal to the target)

After a little algebra and rearranging, you get:
f1 = (T-N2)/(N1-N2) and
f2 = 1 - f1

For the turkey and bagel example with 5 appliances, f1 = (225 - 400)/(138-400) = 0.668 or 66.8% time spent on turkey and 33.2% time spent on bagels.

(3) To get the number of batches needed of bagel per batch of turkey, you need to incorporate the cooking time per batch. For turkey, B1= 480 min and for bagels, B2 = 15 min.

Number of batches of item #2 per item #1 = (f2/B2)/(f1/B1) or (f2*B1)/(f1*B2)

For turkey and bagels and 8 appliances
Number of batches of bagels per batch turkey = (0.332*480)/(0.668*15) = 15.9
Or rounding up, you will need 16 batches of bagels per batch of turkey.

(4) To calculate the profit, use the true cost per plate, after accounting for start-up costs. For Turkey it is P1 = $2.91/plate, for bagels it is P2 = $2.00/plate.

Profit per hour = T*(P1*f1 + P2*f2)

For turkey and bagels and 8 appliances, Profit = 225*($2.91*0.668 + $2.00*0.332) = $586.8/hr

The numbers are a bit different if you include gifts, but for simplicity sake, I left that out.

Hope this makes sense! Enjoy!

*** Please note, I realized as I wrote up the last step, I calculated the profit for previously posted items incorrectly. I will update shortly! *****

(Posted by Niimue. Comments and corrections welcome!)

Unregistered
02-09-11, 03:56 PM
*** Please note, I realized as I wrote up the last step, I calculated the profit for previously posted items incorrectly. I will update shortly! *****

I take that back. I think that the original numbers above are correct, but the equations in #4 above are incorrect. (wish I could edit these posts!)

I think that the correct way for calculating profit when P1 = profit per plate for 1st item, and P2 = profit per plate for second item:

(4) Profit/hour/appliance = f1* N1*P1 + f2*N2*P2

For the turkey and bagel example:
Profit/hour/appliance = 0.668*138*2.91 + 0.332*400*2.00 = $533.9 /hr
Total profit (8 appliances) = $533.9*8 = $4726 /hr