PDA

View Full Version : Tips to go Epic

biologybrain
03-12-15, 11:31 AM
What tips do you have for struggling players trying to gain Epic animals about farming, leveling up animals, etc?

Growing enough food to level my animals up have become a several day process (boring and frustrating) especially since I'm also trying to expand to the Treent (10,000,000 coins really?!?!). I'm also having a really hard time deciding which animals to level up first. I play quite frequently - growing mana bananas during the day and harvesting them roughly around their ripening time. I'm a Level 40 now with 62 of the animals in the album, but I've only been playing since Thanksgiving or so. I just recently read through one of the threads here about trying to have all animals at least a level 7 to gain maximum coins, so I've been doing that as well.

The Epics I have are
Sloth
Treebra
Vinotar
Pyro Pony
Hydro Yak

Close to Epics I have are
Santa Claws 13
Pandaffodil 13
Amordillo 13
Frost fang 14
Thorilla 12
Twilight Troll 12
Smitten Kitten 12
Terroir 11
Hedgehog 11
Blizzard 10

Check out my island - biologybrain

keller63
03-12-15, 11:38 AM
my tip would be try and get as many different elements up that you can and concentrate on super rares. You have 2 nature/rock hybrids up to epic which is a little bit of a waste. try and get at least 1 of each element up that you can in order to help you in tournaments, after that, you can work on making those doubles, so 2 fire 2 dark etc etc. Im not the most s****ed or oldest member playing the game but that might be a start for you

Vodelle
03-12-15, 12:04 PM
Personally, I get everything up to level 10 in my forest, and then if I have any time/money/food leftover I epic a few key animals for tournaments.

So far I have an epic water-earth (glacial griffin), nature-fire (vinotaur), nature-earth (ancient sloth), and electric-earth (thorilla) and they do the bulk of the heavy lifting during tournaments. My next goal is probably electric-dark (rumblebee - it's not a widely used combo but it counters one or two animal types) and after that maybe fire-earth (most of the cases you can use fire-earth you can use one of the above 4 instead, though). I also have gem animals, but those take up so much more food that I'd rather focus on my super-rares (which actually have a good time in tournaments recently).

So my advice in terms of which animals to epic (in your case, biologybrain) would be an electric-earth and a water-earth for sure. (So, Thorilla & Blizard respectively.)

As to anyone else, the biggest advice would be to focus on key elements first. The four I listed are probably the most useful. Nature-fire, electric-earth, and water-earth more-so than nature-earth. Most of those you can get through battlegrounds prizes, and nature-fire seems to be very commonly bred as a newbie. As for how to do it - if you're new, and you have time to babysit your game, plant pears (I think?) every 3 minutes. If you're an older player with way more coin generation, plant charm cherries every hour - not only do you not have to babysit your game as often, but you get a ton of food at once.

biologybrain
03-12-15, 12:22 PM
Thanks Keller63 & Vodelle!

I know having 2 nature-earth hybrids is a waste (at least now I do), but I couldn't resist making my Treebra an Epic since I'm a huge horse fanatic.

I guess I'm mid-ways between a newbie and an oldie. Would you recommend I level all my animals up to Level 7/10 before trying to Epic any more of them - to have a better base to generate coins?

zenobia42
03-12-15, 12:32 PM
I have a bunch of tips in this thread (http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?74733-How-to-make-the-best-of-having-no-unicorn). I think a lot of them would be relevant to your stage of the game, bio.

sweetypies97
03-12-15, 01:00 PM
I'm trying to get an epic of each type in super rare, if it's available.

eg dark earth, electric fire etc. if i at avens got super rares (and there are PLENTY of those) I'm going for rare.

To do that I plant 5 hour crops when I can, and 20 hour crops during world events. I only have 1 grand farm but would love to have 6. It's a space problem for me, not money - I have over 50 million coins just sitting there waiting for the day they offer an animal for coins. HA!

biologybrain
03-12-15, 02:32 PM
Zenobia - I knew I'd read about leveling up to 7 somewhere, but I couldn't remember/find it again! Thanks for linking it here!

MaribouMay
03-12-15, 07:33 PM
I have a bunch of tips in this thread (http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?74733-How-to-make-the-best-of-having-no-unicorn). I think a lot of them would be relevant to your stage of the game, bio.

This thread helped me tremendously. Many thanks to Zenobia!

I wouldn't bother with Manna Bananas, they yield 50 food in an hour. If you plant Power Pears (3 minutes) 3 times (9 minutes total) you already have more food than the Bananas.

itdragson
03-12-15, 07:43 PM
my tip would be try and get as many different elements up that you can and concentrate on super rares. You have 2 nature/rock hybrids up to epic which is a little bit of a waste. try and get at least 1 of each element up that you can in order to help you in tournaments, after that, you can work on making those doubles, so 2 fire 2 dark etc etc. Im not the most s****ed or oldest member playing the game but that might be a start for you
The biggest problem I have is they look different at Epic. Today I forgot and turned my Mardi Gras he looks so pale he was my favorite now he looks blah.

readysetgo888
03-12-15, 08:04 PM
The biggest problem I have is they look different at Epic. Today I forgot and turned my Mardi Gras he looks so pale he was my favorite now he looks blah.

I really dislike the epics for pretty much all the animals... so I totally get this. Glad I'm not the only one. Personally I think the epics stand out in a pretty ugly way... I prefer the "normal" looks, so I refuse to level any of mine to 15. Tough to say how big an impact this has on my tournaments... I can definitely still win them and they rely pretty heavily on luck anyway. Plus I can get away with growing way less crops. And my forest stays attractive... I really enjoy looking at my animals so I don't ever want them to be epically ugly lol.

biologybrain
03-12-15, 09:33 PM
This thread helped me tremendously. Many thanks to Zenobia!

I think Zenobia is my FFS hero! :cool:

I wouldn't bother with Manna Bananas, they yield 50 food in an hour. If you plant Power Pears (3 minutes) 3 times (9 minutes total) you already have more food than the Bananas.

I never thought about it that way. I'm not a heavy thinking gamer, but the way this game wants you to spend real $$, it's either be frustrated or play smarter.

MaribouMay
03-12-15, 09:43 PM
I think Zenobia is my FFS hero! :cool:

I never thought about it that way. I'm not a heavy thinking gamer, but the way this game wants you to spend real $$, it's either be frustrated or play smarter.

The only qualifier is that I don't know how well 3 minute crops will work during a world event. Will you still get an average of 1 token (gold coin for this world event) per farm per hour? I haven't tested that myself. If I were to test it, I would plant Power Pears for an hour and count how many gold coins I get. Better yet plant them for several hours and see if you get an average of 6 coins per hour.

Vodelle
03-13-15, 05:17 AM
The only qualifier is that I don't know how well 3 minute crops will work during a world event. Will you still get an average of 1 token (gold coin for this world event) per farm per hour? I haven't tested that myself. If I were to test it, I would plant Power Pears for an hour and count how many gold coins I get. Better yet plant them for several hours and see if you get an average of 6 coins per hour.
No, this isn't really feasible during world events. In fact, unless you have time to check your game every hour during a world event (which might only really be the case during the long tourney) I suggest planting 5h, 8h, or 20h crops so that you cover as much time as possible..

chippychan
03-13-15, 05:31 AM
No, this isn't really feasible during world events. In fact, unless you have time to check your game every hour during a world event (which might only really be the case during the long tourney) I suggest planting 5h, 8h, or 20h crops so that you cover as much time as possible..

Actually, you CAN still get event tokens with the 30 second and 3 minute crops.

I decided to spend some time last night gathering these fast crops (because I *really* wanted enough food to evolve my Sea horse & I'm making good time with the tokens as it is) and I noticed the game randomly gave me tokens throughout the 1-2 hours I spent farming. I noticed a few coins pop up and I was like "what??".

I started keeping track of how many crops I had to plant/harvest to get them and I could not find any pattern to it. For example; planting only 30 second crops I got a token at my 71st harvest, then again after another 83, then one after 173 followed by another immediate token at 174.

I also got them randomly when planting 3 minute crops.

I was pretty surprised.

Vodelle
03-13-15, 06:01 AM
Yes, you can get them, but it's not feasible. My point is that if you want to make sure you're getting a token each hour (without having to babysit your game and plant crops 20x or whatever to get one token) then during world events it's better off to just plant the longer crops. You can still, of course, plant shorter corps (1h, or even less). That depends on your gaming style - a lot of people just don't have the time to babysit their game that much.

chippychan
03-13-15, 06:06 AM
Yeah, I understand that not many people are going to sit for an hour at a time doing nothing but planting crops, but I was under the impression that it wasn't possible to get tokens for a world event unless you planted crops 1 hour or longer, so for me it was a pleasant surprise.

I was expecting to sort 'waste' the hour and lose out on tokens while I was farming but I ended up getting a few more tokens than if I planted the 1 hour crops between 6 farms. :)

ninasidstorm8
03-13-15, 06:48 AM
I haven't tried it lately, but in past world events, you could get world event tokens planting crops that take less than an hour to ripen. In the early days of the game, I planted Power Pears any time I had a chance. The reward was random, so I suspect they use the RNG to determine if you get a token. For each farm that I did this, I would typically receive at least one token per hour. My guess is that the odds of getting a token is the number of minutes the crop takes to ripen divided by 60 or something close to that. I typically would do 12-15 crops per hour for each farm when planting Power Pears.

I always thought that the advantage in food production outweighed the 1 or two tokens that I might miss out on. I never have had a problem getting enough tokens to get all the prizes in a World Event even when planting Power Pears for a few hours a day during the event. The key to the World Events is to keep 6 farms working 24 hours a day and keep the nest full.

MaribouMay
03-13-15, 09:04 AM
I haven't tried it lately, but in past world events, you could get world event tokens planting crops that take less than an hour to ripen. In the early days of the game, I planted Power Pears any time I had a chance. The reward was random, so I suspect they use the RNG to determine if you get a token. For each farm that I did this, I would typically receive at least one token per hour. My guess is that the odds of getting a token is the number of minutes the crop takes to ripen divided by 60 or something close to that. I typically would do 12-15 crops per hour for each farm when planting Power Pears.

I always thought that the advantage in food production outweighed the 1 or two tokens that I might miss out on. I never have had a problem getting enough tokens to get all the prizes in a World Event even when planting Power Pears for a few hours a day during the event. The key to the World Events is to keep 6 farms working 24 hours a day and keep the nest full.

Interesting. I may try that later today and see what I get. I have been planting 10 minute crops in DS during the world event and I am getting better token return than a one hour crop.

I have so many animals that need evolving that I don't want to spend 3 weeks getting meager crop production. There must be a balance here between earning enough tokens and feeding the hungry hungry kids.

biologybrain
03-14-15, 11:41 AM
I've been planting Pears pretty regularly this World Event & while I'm not setting the world on fire, I do have 598 shamrock coins. I seem to be getting them fairly often while harvesting. It's helping me with the tourney since I'm leveling up some of my animals needed to win.

RorJam
03-14-15, 01:08 PM
On my two accounts for me I breed lightning and dark creatures I still need first because they earn more then any other breed other then ultras. Even electric commons are good. But yeah I got everything to Lvl 7 and most of the earth-nature commons to 10 and they still don't make much lol. I get animals to 15 for tournament and battlegrounds, Dark-fire, electric-nature, electric-earth, water-earth, dark-water, nature-fire, earth-fire, earth-nature. I have both treasure animals to 15, Santa paws, steam trunk and any gem animals I have. For fruit I only grow rune prunes. Only after I had a few million did I start growing nexus nuts or charm cherries after I harvest the prunes mainly to get my timer to before work on my second account or after work for RorJam. But with the Treent and haeron prices probably I'd only grow prunes. I had no gems creatures for the longest! I only got my unicorns from sales but was able to breed ruby.
For my second account I have big habitats for: water, earth, fire, nature. Small habitats for all my dark and electric creatures with no gems and since Leveling up to 7-10 with super rares to 15(of the above mentioned combos) I've made 9 million in a couple months plus haerons expense, but I grow nexus nuts because it takes to long to build up runes so I have time to make the rest of the gold needed for Treent.

MaribouMay
03-15-15, 11:06 AM
I've been planting Pears pretty regularly this World Event & while I'm not setting the world on fire, I do have 598 shamrock coins. I seem to be getting them fairly often while harvesting. It's helping me with the tourney since I'm leveling up some of my animals needed to win.

Good to know. I think I will switch back to Pears once I have a few more event tokens and am more confident of winning all the individual prizes. These longer time crops just don't make much food!

FigmentValley
03-15-15, 07:21 PM
All in all, I don't know that I would recommend going epic with too many of your super rare animals and, except for the unicorn perhaps, ultra rare animals.

As soon as I put my creatures to epic level they became incompetent and incapable in the arena. A level 12-14 creature seems to do SO much better than an epic level creature.

I wish I could undo some of the epics so they could successfully fight again.

biologybrain
03-16-15, 02:59 AM
All in all, I don't know that I would recommend going epic with too many of your super rare animals and, except for the unicorn perhaps, ultra rare animals.

As soon as I put my creatures to epic level they became incompetent and incapable in the arena. A level 12-14 creature seems to do SO much better than an epic level creature.

I wish I could undo some of the epics so they could successfully fight again.

I can't win with my Level 12 or 13s - even if I pick the ones that should win. I just think the tournaments are rigged against us at this point... I'll make my animals epic if I like that form & keep them at 14 (or whatever) if not. Tournaments suck lately. :mad:

DarRorJam
03-16-15, 05:54 AM
this is RorJam I Harvest Prunes and nexus nuts and I have 1140 ish shamrock coins with RorJam and will get 120 more after work at least just from harvest. and this account I just harvested and I have 1040 and still will get a few more well 13 more from my new fav Conducktor lol. thought I'd share to compare with pears. for only 74 k gold I think it's worth waiting 20 hours but we all have our styles and such. good luck everyone!

biologybrain
03-17-15, 09:48 AM
I have 1051 shamrock coins & I've been going between Pears, Melons, & Mangos. I'm on track to get all the prizes and I'm leveling up all my animals as I do so. Win-win!

LonePudding
04-04-15, 11:30 AM
Help! I have an awfully low amount of coins. I'm trying to save up 1mill for an expansion. I had the 20 runes TWENTY MILLION YEARS AGO, I just never had the coins to expand. I'm also trying to level up animals, and buy large habitats to get the most money out of my animals. How am I supposed to do all this without coins. I have under 100,000 atm

ninasidstorm8
04-04-15, 11:50 AM
Help! I have an awfully low amount of coins. I'm trying to save up 1mill for an expansion. I had the 20 runes TWENTY MILLION YEARS AGO, I just never had the coins to expand. I'm also trying to level up animals, and buy large habitats to get the most money out of my animals. How am I supposed to do all this without coins. I have under 100,000 atm

My recommendation is Power Pears. Anytime you have an hour or two to play the game, just keep planting and harvesting as many Power Pears as you can. You can produce a lot of food this way for a reasonable amount of coins. Use the food to level up as may animals as you can to collect more coins. If you don't do it already, collect from each habitat before exiting the game, even if there is no coin above them. You can also try to keep your social rating as high as possible so that you get more visitors that leave you a bonuses by touching your habitats. Also try collecting as often as possible.

Just know that eventually you will reach point where the coins mean very little to you. The trick is to get that point as soon as possible.

LonePudding
04-04-15, 02:01 PM
My recommendation is Power Pears. Anytime you have an hour or two to play the game, just keep planting and harvesting as many Power Pears as you can. You can produce a lot of food this way for a reasonable amount of coins. Use the food to level up as may animals as you can to collect more coins. If you don't do it already, collect from each habitat before exiting the game, even if there is no coin above them. You can also try to keep your social rating as high as possible so that you get more visitors that leave you a bonuses by touching your habitats. Also try collecting as often as possible.

Just know that eventually you will reach point where the coins mean very little to you. The trick is to get that point as soon as possible.

Thank you so much! I hope the food builds up quickly, I have so many level 1s! Also for the battling/tournaments what's better? Less lvl 15s or more lvl 10s? As for basic dragons, the ones I've levelled for fighting are: ancient sloth, glacial griffin, daredevil, paradise parrot, hydro yak and a few others. Any more I should try to breed? Thanks!

ninasidstorm8
04-04-15, 03:03 PM
Thank you so much! I hope the food builds up quickly, I have so many level 1s! Also for the battling/tournaments what's better? Less lvl 15s or more lvl 10s? As for basic dragons, the ones I've levelled for fighting are: ancient sloth, glacial griffin, daredevil, paradise parrot, hydro yak and a few others. Any more I should try to breed? Thanks!

You need to make your own decisions on whether or not to feed duplicates but you should immediately feed all unique level 1s to get them to level 3. It doesn't take much food do reach level 3 and the increase in coin is significant up to around levels 7-10. Also I generally only feed an animal if I have enough food to get it to the next level.

As for the arena, a variety of animals to choose from helps a lot but you need high level animals for the last few rounds. I feel that once you are more than 5 levels below the opponent, then the level no longer matters and you have a low chance of winning. To start with, I would try to level up at least one Super Rare or Rare to cover each Element Type. For the arena, it doesn't seem to matter which specific animal you use so its only necessary to level up the best one you have for each element combination.

I suggest you read the thread Making Sense of the Battleground, if you haven't already. It hasn't been updated with the new Holiday elements but it is an excellent source of information on the Arena. Post #6 contains a list of element combinations and the best elements to use against them. What you want to do is level up a few key fighters that are the best selection against the most element combinations. Water/Earth, Dark/Fire, Electric/Fire covers a lot of combinations. My approach was to get a few key animals to level 15 as soon as possible to help out in the later rounds.

With the fighters you have listed, you are missing the Dark element. A Dark element is very helpful for the Gem creatures that are typically found in the later rounds of battle, A strong Nature animal is also helpful to counteract the Treasure animals found in the later rounds. You can also level up the common single element animals like the Pyro Pony fairly cheaply. They can help out in battle when you don't have any other good match against an opponent.

I hope this helps.

LonePudding
04-04-15, 05:31 PM
Thank you so much!!! I've just now got rid of 11 small habitats in exchange for large ones to get more coins. I'm about to start power pear harvest fest, and I'm going to try my best to get some good fighters out of the rather dull collection I have. I think aurora Pegasus is the only dark super rare I have, so she'll be my priority for now. Thank you so much for your help!

MaribouMay
04-05-15, 12:51 AM
LonePudding, I suggest this thread: http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?74733-How-to-make-the-best-of-having-no-unicorn. There is great advice on leveling up animals and general game play.

LonePudding
04-05-15, 06:05 AM
LonePudding, I suggest this thread: http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?74733-How-to-make-the-best-of-having-no-unicorn. There is great advice on leveling up animals and general game play.

Thank you! I've read through it screenshotting the best bits that I probably wouldn't remember in my head! I have 5 level 11's now, feeling a little proud :D Slowly making progress, but if anyone else can go so far to when coins don't matter, so can I! Just need patience :)

tuffyjkitten
04-15-15, 03:37 PM
I have an epic Pyro Pony and Pandaffodill. Due to the event I will now have an epic Solar Simian. I don't really care about epic animals. Most of mine are level 4-5 so they can breed and some of the good battlers are in the 10-14 range but that's it. A lot of the epic forms are not nice with all the neon pink that suddenly appears on them and they become too large for the habitats. I've managed to complete every tournament so I haven't seen much of a difference in battling between a 13-14 and a 15.

saphiraetti
04-15-15, 07:28 PM
Personally, I get everything up to level 10 in my forest, and then if I have any time/money/food leftover I epic a few key animals for tournaments.

So far I have an epic water-earth (glacial griffin), nature-fire (vinotaur), nature-earth (ancient sloth), and electric-earth (thorilla) and they do the bulk of the heavy lifting during tournaments. My next goal is probably electric-dark (rumblebee - it's not a widely used combo but it counters one or two animal types) and after that maybe fire-earth (most of the cases you can use fire-earth you can use one of the above 4 instead, though). I also have gem animals, but those take up so much more food that I'd rather focus on my super-rares (which actually have a good time in tournaments recently).

So my advice in terms of which animals to epic (in your case, biologybrain) would be an electric-earth and a water-earth for sure. (So, Thorilla & Blizard respectively.)

As to anyone else, the biggest advice would be to focus on key elements first. The four I listed are probably the most useful. Nature-fire, electric-earth, and water-earth more-so than nature-earth. Most of those you can get through battlegrounds prizes, and nature-fire seems to be very commonly bred as a newbie. As for how to do it - if you're new, and you have time to babysit your game, plant pears (I think?) every 3 minutes. If you're an older player with way more coin generation, plant charm cherries every hour - not only do you not have to babysit your game as often, but you get a ton of food at once.
I do the same thing I get all my animals to level 10 and go from there.

LonePudding
04-16-15, 03:55 PM
Just got my first epic animal! Ancient Sloth!! Whoppeee! I think he looks like a jellybean with limbs :p I quite like the colour highlights that epics get, so I'm looking forward to hopefully get many more.

zenobia42
04-16-15, 03:58 PM
Just got my first epic animal! Ancient Sloth!! Whoppeee! I think he looks like a jellybean with limbs :p I quite like the colour highlights that epics get, so I'm looking forward to hopefully get many more.

Congrats - that's awesome! You are really coming along fast! :)

LonePudding
04-16-15, 04:09 PM
Congrats - that's awesome! You are really coming along fast! :)

Hehe, thanks. I'd be lost somewhere in my forest if it wasn't for all the time, help, and dedication you guys have for this game!

chippychan
04-17-15, 04:20 AM
Congrats LonePudding! Ancient Sloth was my first Epic Super Rare and he serves me well in Tournaments. I changed his name to 'Rocky' since he gets so many criticals, lol. :)

LonePudding
04-17-15, 09:48 AM
Congrats LonePudding! Ancient Sloth was my first Epic Super Rare and he serves me well in Tournaments. I changed his name to 'Rocky' since he gets so many criticals, lol. :)

Thanks!! Ancient Sloth is so helpful for me in tourneys and the battlegrounds. Whenever nature or earth is suggested, he's always the first to pop into my head! I'm still deciding on a name for him.. For now he's Flora XD