PDA

View Full Version : Pop culture references?

stonermicha
03-07-15, 01:06 PM
So I've noticed as I'm sure most of you have that a lot of the goal names include puns/references to pop culture things (my favorite is the goal for breeding a troll dragon titled 'Troll Toll' which is most definitely a reference to It's Always Sunny). I was wondering what some of your favorites are?

And I also noticed that there's an Inquisitor Dragon, a Warden Dragon, and a Templar Dragon. Anyone think this might be a Dragon Age reference? I'm not sure, they're definitely words that mean other things, but they're not very common words, either.

PernReloaded
03-12-15, 09:45 AM
When the Winter Solstice dragon was up, the goals referenced A Song of Ice and Fire with "winter is coming".

That's hojestly as much as I know, because I dont want a whole lot of recent/popular tv shows and don't play video games.

stonermicha
03-12-15, 11:27 AM
Oh, that's cool I don't know if I would have noticed the Song of Ice and Fire one. I only just started reading that book.
Some of the one's I've got in my goals list right now are

Sweet Dreams: Onyx Dragon - Sweet Dreams is an Aerosmith song
One Fish, Two Fish: Pisces Dragon - Reference to a Dr. Seuss book
Game of Kings: Chess Dragon - May be another Game of Thrones reference
Here Comes The Sun: Sumblaze Dragon - Here Comes The Sun is a Beatles song (i love that one uwu)
Across The Sky: Double Rainbow Dragon - Double Rainbow was a viral youtube video a few years ago
Troll Toll: Troll Dragon - From the episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, 'The Nightman Cometh' (this is my favorite haha)

I'm sure there's more than that, too, those are just the ones that I caught on to!

PernReloaded
03-12-15, 03:27 PM
Game of Kings is for certain a GoT reference. I have a bunch of nerdy friends who read and watch it, and I've seen a lot of it. (Hence why I also know "Winter is Coming', it's pretty much the catchphrase for the series and is the mantra of the Stark family)
Ships Ahoy! is likely referencing Chips Ahoy! XD Not pop culture, but hey.
Diamond Dragons Are Forever - "Diamonds are Forever" is the name of a James Bond movie.
Turtle & The Dare - Turtle and the Hare, Aesop's Fable
Castles In The Air - Common saying that someone's dream is unattainable, alt. there was a pop song 'Castles in the Air' that came out a few years ago
Resistance is Futile - Borg catchphrase from Star Trek
Earth, Water, Fire - Youtube "Earth, Wind, and Fire". They are a band.
Dragon of Another Color - referencing "Wizard of Oz", the horse of another color.
Dawn of the Crops - highly likely it's a "Dawn of the Dead" reference.
Save Us, Super Dragon! - reference phrase for "Save us, Superman!"
One Ticket to Paradise - probably referencing a 70's song, "Two Tickets to Paradise".
Mercury Rising - Movie title from a few years ago
Admiral Planet - play on 'Captain Planet', a children's tv show from when I was little.

AJImmer
03-13-15, 11:50 AM
Oh, that's cool I don't know if I would have noticed the Song of Ice and Fire one. I only just started reading that book.
Some of the one's I've got in my goals list right now are

Sweet Dreams: Onyx Dragon - Sweet Dreams is an Aerosmith song

Not to be snarky, but... Aerosmith did the song "Dream On" on Aerosmith, their first album, and "Sweet Emotion" on Toys in the Attic album, but "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" was by the Eurythmics.

stonermicha
03-13-15, 07:39 PM
Game of Kings is for certain a GoT reference. I have a bunch of nerdy friends who read and watch it, and I've seen a lot of it. (Hence why I also know "Winter is Coming', it's pretty much the catchphrase for the series and is the mantra of the Stark family)
Ships Ahoy! is likely referencing Chips Ahoy! XD Not pop culture, but hey.
Diamond Dragons Are Forever - "Diamonds are Forever" is the name of a James Bond movie.
Turtle & The Dare - Turtle and the Hare, Aesop's Fable
Castles In The Air - Common saying that someone's dream is unattainable, alt. there was a pop song 'Castles in the Air' that came out a few years ago
Resistance is Futile - Borg catchphrase from Star Trek
Earth, Water, Fire - Youtube "Earth, Wind, and Fire". They are a band.
Dragon of Another Color - referencing "Wizard of Oz", the horse of another color.
Dawn of the Crops - highly likely it's a "Dawn of the Dead" reference.
Save Us, Super Dragon! - reference phrase for "Save us, Superman!"
One Ticket to Paradise - probably referencing a 70's song, "Two Tickets to Paradise".
Mercury Rising - Movie title from a few years ago
Admiral Planet - play on 'Captain Planet', a children's tv show from when I was little.

Oh, you've got a good eye for this! I didn't even notice some of those! The Castle in the Air one might also be a reference to a book of that title by Diana Wynn Jones. It's the sequal to Howl's Moving Castle, if anyone has seen that movie. It's not super well known over in the states where I live, but Diana Wynn Jones is pretty well celebrated in the UK i think.

PernReloaded
03-13-15, 11:36 PM
Oh, you've got a good eye for this! I didn't even notice some of those! The Castle in the Air one might also be a reference to a book of that title by Diana Wynn Jones. It's the sequal to Howl's Moving Castle, if anyone has seen that movie. It's not super well known over in the states where I live, but Diana Wynn Jones is pretty well celebrated in the UK i think.
OH! I'm very familiar with the movie Howl's Moving Castle (I adore Studio Ghibli). I was aware that it was a book, and that it had a sequel, but I had no clue what it was titled! That seems like it could be a reference, for certain!

stonermicha
03-15-15, 01:57 PM
Not to be snarky, but... Aerosmith did the song "Dream On" on Aerosmith, their first album, and "Sweet Emotion" on Toys in the Attic album, but "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" was by the Eurythmics.

I thought I'd replied to this, but I guess not! I can't believe I messed that up, I'm a big classic rock fan! I guess It' just because I don't listen to Aerosmith as much. You're not snarky, thank you for the correction!

stonermicha
03-15-15, 02:00 PM
OH! I'm very familiar with the movie Howl's Moving Castle (I adore Studio Ghibli). I was aware that it was a book, and that it had a sequel, but I had no clue what it was titled! That seems like it could be a reference, for certain!

Yes, I love Studio Ghibli films as well! If you liked Howl's Moving Castle and youre a reader, I would 100% suggest picking up the book! I read it after seeing the movie, too. They're very different, but the book and movie are both amazing in their own respect. It ended up being my number one favorite book after I read it! And yes, there's two more books after it! Castle in the Air is the second one, and it's not about Howl and Sophie, but they are in it, and the third one, The House of Many Ways also has a different protagonist, but Howl and Sophie play a big part. Diana Wynn Jones is an amazing author! I guess Hayao Miyazaki (if you don't know, he's the director who did most of the studio ghibli films) is a big fan of her writing.

jim23cash
03-15-15, 04:49 PM
I'm impressed you can remember all those! I usually notice them in the moment, then forget them as soon as they are gone. I have seen a lot of Monty Python references, including the one for The Black Knight. That's all I can remember right now. :D

PernReloaded
03-16-15, 10:29 AM
I'm impressed you can remember all those! I usually notice them in the moment, then forget them as soon as they are gone. I have seen a lot of Monty Python references, including the one for The Black Knight. That's all I can remember right now. :D

I actually didn't remember them all - I went through my goalbook on my ipad while typing them down immediately on a regular computer so I wouldn't forget! XD

The only ones I initially remembered were Winter Solstice and Captain Planet since those really get to my memories.

pattons_friends
03-16-15, 12:26 PM
Swan song - Led zeppelin, I think is the most obvious one