PDA

View Full Version : Gold - making and spending

Anaboe
03-05-15, 08:29 AM
Gold, we're always short on it, aren't we?

To be honest, I've never been short on gold, even tho I only bought 2.000 gold once. I've played for almost 3 years now, am lvl 150, have 314 uniqe dragons, of which over 16 Champions, a Diamond, 7 Diamond-hybrids, all World-Event dragons and many, many super-rare dragons.

The trick is to both be careful when playing (not step in any goldtraps) and carefully planning on where to spend it on.

Spending gold:
* Tournaments
When you don't have any champions, you will greatly profit from your first champion. Even if you have to use ultimate 7 or even 10 times, it still gives you profit. So, save your precious gold and look ahead in the tournament. You can easily find tools with which you can calculate which rounds have low odds of winning. Plan the whole tournament up front. Even tho I've only ever lost 1 tournament, I still do this. (The lost tournament was because I was short on gold since I just had bought my first Gold-giving dragon).

But... don't use gold of you don't have a fair chance of winning the whole tournament. It's just a waste of you precious gold and not good for anything.

Don't be afraid to use ultimate the first time you encounter a high level Champion in the arena. It saves a lot of time, a long waiting line for the healing well and a lot of frustration. I still use ulti against lvl 16 Champions and up.
In the end, each tourney gives me a nice, new and often usefull dragon for only 45-75 gold (don't forget you make 15 gold during the event).
Speeding rounds can be usefull, but only if you have a fair chance at defeating your opponent, can stand a long waiting row for the healing well, or are bussy in general.

* World events
There's practicaly no need to spend gold on world-events. Once you have 7 farms, you can always plant the 20-hour crops. This alone is often good for 80-90% of the needed parts.
A very good buy is a second, or even third nest. You can always buy Water-dragons. They're cheap and can keep your nest filled, so you can even make more parts.

* Mining
If you're short on food, the Water-dragons can also be used to evolve them and get bombs so you can mine for parts for another dragon. Feeding the Water-dragons is cheap, but it depends on your food-supply and weather you want to spend your food on bombs, or on evolving the dragons you want to level up.
So, here also, there's no need to spend gold, unless you want to get a second dragon from mining. It can be done without spending gold (see my other tutorial about that), but it's very, very, very hard. I've done it once, because I wanted the big black gem that specific dragon got me after trading.
The black gem costed me +/- 20 gold, and got me a nice Jade-dragon. Again, 20 gold for a Jade is very cheap.

* Goals
Sometimes TeamLava gives us a goal with which we can obtain a certain dragon. Last goal was for the Rainbow Sentinel. Tho it could be done within the timelimit TeamLave gave us, it was very hard, and for most of us, it couldn't be done, due to obligations out of the game, or simply the need for sleep.
Usually these goals can be skipped for gold. I find it gold well spent, for the dragon you get is often a very good dragon in the arena.
You can carefully plan what part you want to skip for gold. Last goal, I skipped half of the first goal (costing 50 gold) and a third of the second one (costing 33 gold). So, in the end, without stress, I got a Rainbow Sentinel for 83 gold, wich is also cheap.

* Special offers
Sometimes TL gives special offers, for example, a Devine dragon for only 200 gold. I've found that a lot of these special offers are very much worth the gold. Devine is a very good dragon in the arena and will save you money on ultimates easily. Especially 3-collored dragons are worth it. Not all, but most.

* Speeding, boosted breed, Diamond Temple
I hardly ever use them. Only when I'm in a rush, or it costs me just a few gold to get another Dragon-couple on the nest of Evolution Temple befor I go to sleep, or when the Diamond Temple is on sale. I'm not realy patient, but to me it's just not worth the gold.

Making gold:
* Gold-giving dragons
These are the bomb! I have 3 of them, all bought while they were a special offer, so I payed 600 gold for each of them. This way, I have a steady income of atleast 15 gold each day. Yes, it cost 600 gold, but the return of investment is only 3 months. After that, you profit! For as long as you want to play.
Since you can only have 4 Treasure Terrace, you must decide weather you want more than 4 Gold-giving dragons. If you have more, you need to check in at exact times to get your maximum gold, but that time differs from day to day. So I don't know if that's worth it.

* Neighbours
Be sure you get good neighbours, keep in touch with them, and be sure you exchange gold. Since you can only give 3 gold a day, you sure want 3 gold back.

* Goals
Sometimes, reaching a certain goal will reward you with gold. For example, defeating round 15, 20 and 25 in a tournament usually gives you 5 gold. Sometimes you earn gold by buying dragons, and there is a goal in the album that gives gold too.
Regularly, TL promotes one or more of her other games, these are often timed goals. Tho (in iOS) you won't be rewarded for installing other games, you usually get a simpel follow-up goal (like: visit 5 community members) and that goal often gives gold as a reward. The first time you are invited to play a certain game, you are also invited to reach a certain level in this game. Each goal for a level has a follow-up goal, and each of those follow-up goals give you gold.
If you don't want to play them, you can just uninstall them right after getting the follow-up goal, but, to be honest, I always wanted the gold, so in each and every game, I always reached the highest required level. Most games I uninstalled after that, but it's a nice gold-income: 30 gold for the follow-up goal after installing, 15 gold for each follow-up goal after reaching a certain level. For example, lvl 3, 8, 15 and 25. All in all, you can make up to 90 gold this way - per game!

If you play multiple TL games, open all your TL games before downloading and installing the game: that way you can earn rewards in all TL games. Don't worry if you'll loose the goal half way, it will come again after a few days. Make sure in every game you play, you get the same goal to download the game before downloading.

* Family and friends
Perhaps family and friends can help you, give you 1 gold every day. I know my hubby does. He doesn't play often, but he sure gives me each and every day 1 gold. It's not much, but it all adds up to....

Loosing 1.000 gold in a goldtrap.... Accidentally bought 260,000 food, while I already had over 3,000,000 food.

That's why I started with: play carefully... I'm starting to get over it now... but it hurt...

So, here's my thoughts about gold. What do you think?

droopy123love
03-05-15, 12:47 PM
Another tip; sharing information with your neighbors! I always share info with my friends, simply to post tips on my own wall. There are neighbors who will reward you for this, I reward tips also. Some neighbors of mine managed to breed a diamond, due to sharing the combo that did the trick for me. Also sharing combo's for limited dragons like easterdragon or a snowman to neighbors has given me bars in return.

ndtrance
03-05-15, 01:21 PM
This a great post, it reminds me of the "nuggets" posts on Castle Story that I love. The only thing I can think of is adding to the "Making gold section"- Storm8/TL offers goals to download new games and new versions of older games. From what I've experienced, you get 30 gold for initially downloading the game and opening it, then another 15 for each subsequent goal completed by playing the other game. You don't have to play the game if you don't want to, after opening it and confirming that you've received the goal you can uninstall.

Anaboe
03-05-15, 07:45 PM
Good point, ndtrance, I will add the info tomorrow! One thing: Apple's policy forbids to reward players for installing these games, so TL doesn't reward you for installing the game. Instead, you get another, usually very small in-game task (like: visit a neighbour, or: buy any decoration) and you get regardeert for finishing that task.

When you first play the games you're invited to, you get offered more tasks, which can get you regards of 15 gems multiple times. This way you can make up to 60 gold or more, each time you're offered a game you haven't played before.

spiritanimals000
03-07-15, 10:22 AM
I'm having my brother gift me gold, I actully really need to tell him, cause I'm left to 1 gold.