PDA

View Full Version : How Many Slots?

ElaineCarrel
02-24-15, 05:26 PM
I'm curious....
How many slots in the Street Market would u recommend for someone to open? I just opened my 4th, repaired my garden and upgraded my Veggie Mkt, to 3 ( I thought I'd never collect 38,000 in coins). I sure wish I could transfer coins from RS to RS 2.

PraxisOfGood
02-24-15, 06:25 PM
I'm up to ten slots now. I don't regret it, although I also don't think there is a great need to go beyond nine. (For some reason, you jump from six to nine slots in a single upgrade, so that's a natural plateau.)

It seems to me that there are a lot of sensible upgrades competing for your toolbox resources, and which ones are more important seems to be a matter of personal taste. Your pantry needs to be large enough that you can hold all the ingredients for the food you want to cook, but not larger. You probably want to have expansion 5 ready for the seafood market and 8 for the fruit stand. I really appreciate having my VM and GS up to 4 ingredients, but some think that's a waste. Once you have a handle on all your short term goals and Cid keeps bringing you stuff, extra market stalls are better that just straight out deleting toolbox stuff.

tiggerhobbes
02-24-15, 10:26 PM
Im 6 nails from my 18th slot.

frankly you don't really have much option. Pantry upgrade max out at 130 for some players while other players have over 200 pantry capacity. You start accumulating a lot of parts with limited coins, street market is the only thing you can upgrade.

I've already deleted a lot of parts, ESP blueprints, don't have the coins to expand, meanwhile they capped the pantry in my game (but not all players?) so I can choose to delete parts or upgrade market.

That said I do love my large market.

orleansparish
02-24-15, 11:39 PM
18? Whoa! And I thought I was something with the 7 I have. I just did another expansion, using 38 gems since I was coin short. I need four more maps to do my next. I can save for the chateau oven and order vanilla milkshake, crime br?l?e and whatever is on that oven but I don't want to be bothered to save up 390,000 coins. I could do it in a week or so but I can't sit with too much money for long. There is always something in want to buy.

I may buy my second salad bar. Work on expanding and then adding slots to my stand. It's the first thing I check now. Especially since Im always lobster, mushroom and salmon needy.

tiggerhobbes
02-24-15, 11:45 PM
I know right? The coin requirements in upper levels is absurd.

I usually save my gems for last seeds.. I regularly get stuck waiting for the last seed for garden expansion for close to a week, meanwhile 29 seeds and 20 shovels sit in my toolbox taking up space. I just gem through the last seed. It happened every time, they just stop giving me seed when I'm one short.

mcmug17
02-25-15, 12:49 AM
I survived on 3 slots until level 35. Then while I'm waiting for parts for other upgrades, I figured upgrading my street market wouldn't affect my progress (it needs like 5 out of the 40 nails I have, pffff) so now I have 5 slots at level 38.

Depending on your play style, upgrading the street market as a priority may work for you and it has definitely worked for other people here. $38k coins isn't unimaginable ;-) I remember making that much a day before hitting level 25... but then I had my veggie market upgraded to x4 before level 23. Things have been going very well for me since then.

tiggerhobbes
02-25-15, 07:45 AM
To brag a little, a large market definitely comes in handy with a lot of perks. I know @McMug prioritized VM upgrade for items like peppers, mushrooms, onions.

Early in the game, I thought those items restock so slowly it makes sense to only use them for long duration dishes like tuna casserole, osso bucco, etc.

The reality of a large street market though, is that for a long time I had double digits (dozens!) mushrooms for weeks and I couldn't use them up fast enough. I also had double digits onions or peppers on alternate days. So I started making stuffed mushrooms, stuffed peppers, meat loaves etc to quickly use up these three 'rare' items.

Except I still sat on double digits excess. I actually had to delete mushrooms and onions on a few occaions to make enough room in my pantry to gather filler items (eggs etc) to start a dish.

Sooo, I have now switched to veggie pizza, mainly because I get more mushrooms, onions and peppers than I know what to do with. If I sign into my game intermittently thorough the day, the stove will be ready to start cooking again (only 15 minutes,,) and my market usually gives me enough 'rare' items so that how long they actually restock in the store is irrelevant.

As of right now I have 20,798 plates of veggie pizza on my counter. That's how much 'rare' vegetables I've been getting from my market.

I'm actually looking into saving up some coins to upgrade my general store, because as it is, it's the 'filler' items that I can't seem to get enough (flour, sugar, rice.) Right now it's flour that's holding me back from using up the veggies I get from the street market.

So... the street market can be ludicrous, it will also affect your recipe choice. It also takes no coins, for me it's a no-brainer. And I honestly don't see why you would want to set a upper limit on how large you want to expand it. TBH, after 10 slots or so it was good enough, any further expansion is more a dicision of where to allocate coins and whether I want to delete parts or use them up in a coin-free upgrade.

mcmug17
02-27-15, 09:24 AM
I now wonder how life would be for me had I expanded the Street Market to the max...

I'm a level 39 now. If I have access to 2 onions per hour, I'd definitely buy the second Salad Bar to make greek salad. But I know I don't have that many onions or rice. The second salad bar will be sitting idle most of the time.

Ugh... level 39 is so boring!!!!!!

tiggerhobbes
02-27-15, 09:51 AM
All roads lead to Rome right? I also often wondered if it was a mistake to run with street market early on, I ended up with such a large stockpile of beginner dishes I was still selling chicken alfredo at level 49. Lower level dishes taking up counter space definitely held me back in the coin earning department and limited my progress later into the game. I ended up deleting so many of them last week it was excrucuatingly painful.

And guess what, now that I've moved onto upper level recipes game play is a lot less stressful and coins are rolling in fast. So it might not be a bad thing to have a slow start and then accelerate as you level up.

And I'm thinking eventually you will have to upgrade your street market due to coins limit and tool box capacity. Just a wild guess though.

And now that I'm getting more coins I can finally upgrade my suppliers ... Well, I wold, except I used up all my nails in the street market so I'm waiting for CID lol.

cquinn32
02-27-15, 10:47 AM
I have 11 slots in my market and I check in on it at least 15 times a day and only ever see something like mushrooms, onions, lobster, ect... once or twice. I wish I had a surpluss of these things lol. I probably won't be upgrading it anytime soon need to work on expanding!!

mcmug17
02-27-15, 10:50 AM
I don't know things cost in the 40s. Right now I'm sitting on a pile of coins that I don't have anything to spend on. I guesstimate I make around 150k coins a day. The only thing I could have bought right now is the second salad bar, but it's kinda pointless for me right now. If only I have 3 more planks I can go for expansion 10...

I don't know... The street market is more like an "optional" upgrade. Unlike expansions, you have to have upgraded to a certain level before recipes become unlocked. So I always feel that I should upgrade the "essentials" first. I still feel that I can't depend on the street market as my source of ingredients. I haven't seen a single onion for the past 2 days! Usually I have my day's recipes planned out to make the most use out of counter space and stoves and spices and coins, so having a "schedule" has helped a lot.

nmishii
02-27-15, 10:52 AM
My Street Market is at 9. I didn't care for it at first because it rarely gave me anything I needed and then I was turned off by the inundation of cucumber and mayo. I did a couple of upgrades to clean out my toolbox. Now I am getting better ingredients, but the mushrooms, onions, and peppers don't come as often as I'd like.

I chose to expand my stores instead and have been at 4 for all except 2 for the fruit stand. I never really had a big cash flow problem but I am either running out of food or have all counters filled for a few hours and be limited to cooking what I have on the fuller counters. Now that my pantry is at max I can upgrade my street market to get more of the rare items.

I also need to expand my restaurant to unlock 3 recipes. I only expanded when I could buy more tables and counters and it wouldn't fit, and now i am way short of being able to get those recipes.

tiggerhobbes
02-27-15, 11:07 AM
I think the coin shortage kicks in around the time you unlock fruit market. Buying drinks machine costs a lot, unlocking drinks recipe is exorbitant (160k to unlock one recipe), fruit market itself was expensive to unlock, you also have to pay for expansion to unlock the market itself, and then each ingredient costs some to unlock, on top of that, upgrading the fruit market is far pricier than all the other suppliers.

I also blame my coin shortage on street market strategy, basically I need to be able to cook anything the market throws at me, meaning I need to cook many different dishes, forcing me to invest in 20 counters -- the last couple of counters were also extremely expensive (over 100k).

I agree street market isn't reliable, and the only way to make it work is to also expand pantry and hoard whenever you see something good. Sometimes I leave my street market open on my desk and I will glance over to see if there anything worth collecting, and grab whatever valuable things to use later when I have time to play. You can't just open up the street market and count on it to offer anything with certainty. I mean, I can't even count on it to give me cucumber. When I need it the market withholds it.

nmishii
02-27-15, 12:22 PM
I snatch up onions, peppers, and mushrooms immediately without looking at the price, but only get 2-3 of each a day. I get tons of lobsters and only buy them if cheap. Same with butter. I also snatch potatoes. In general, I try to use the ingredients I have and if I'm short on one I might go to the street market and it might have what I need. The only time I have to make a specific dish is when my counters are full.

I had over 800k coins when the fruit stand and drink machine unlocked, so that was not a problem. I held off on the vanilla milkshake because I had to unlock milk, and didn't want my street market to have a bunch of milk when I only had one recipe. Plus it was 220k to unlock the recipe and milk. I unlocked it recently. I now have over 700k coins and am waiting for my next level and 3 recipes, and to get more hammers and nails to expand.

tiggerhobbes
02-27-15, 12:38 PM
I've eventually decided most lobster and potato recipes aren't really worth doing.

Just poped into my game, Im going to grab from street market:

Mushroom, flour, orange, pepper, chicken, seaweed, flour, apple, beef.

Letting go eggs, mayo, cheese, salmon, pea.

I do have 18 slots so I've grown used to almost always finding something rare on every refresh. It looks like I will have excess mushrooms and peppers today but not enough onions. That has become a bit of a pattern, the market tends to keep giving me two out of those three.

I basically use my suppliers like backup these days, I grab what I cook from the street market, only when I can't find them in the market do I go to the store. That way I will always have something to fall back on and won't leave a stove idle.

Until I deleted a lot of dishes last week, I almost persistently have my counters full so I could only keep cooking the same dishes. After I deleted most of this dishes last week, I now deliberately reserve a few throw away counters for dishes that I don't plan on making long term but only use for mastering recipes.

nmishii
02-27-15, 12:50 PM
My market just gave me orangex2, chickenx2, mayox2, egg, broccoli, bread. Didn't buy anything, which is the norm. Which is why I go to stores first then street market. I'd give anything for your street market.

rosewaterlily
02-27-15, 01:01 PM
I wasn't a fan of upgrading the street market very much in the mid levels (25 or so) since it was generally flooded with cucumbers and mayo. But as you need hundreds of thousands coins to learn recipes and expand restaurant in the upper levels, I had to upgrade the street market several times just to clear out my toolbox without also using coins. Presently I have 11 slots, which are reasonably useful after you get past the flood of new ingredients whenever they are unlocked. I also have four slots in veggie/general/butcher shops, 3 slots in seafood and fruit, expansion 13 completed, and 115 pantry at level 46. Right now, I'm focused upgrading pantry to the max while spending all my coins on learning recipes.

mcmug17
02-27-15, 01:15 PM
(omg I just got 3 planks in a row. I think it's a sign)

I'm more than 2.5 levels away from drink maker. I probably will be fine by then.

tiggerhobbes
02-27-15, 01:24 PM
Whew so glad I'm not the only one with coins shortage at upper levels!

Apparently I spoke too soon, market just refreshed and gave me one pepper and two onions. I will also grab rice, the rest I will let go. So far things look even, which is great for making veggie pizza.

The scary thing about my game is that I already upgraded my street market to 10 slots or so before I unlocked Cucumber, and that was way back in the days before people even knew anything about the cucumber curse. Anyway, because my market was already sufficiently large, while I did get cucumber every time, the market was still useful and diverse for me even back then, and I didn't see it as a problem.

I'll be honest, I mostly got addicted to this game because street market. Even if there's no coin shortage, I just love that random raffle experience so much, that's basically what makes this game fun for me, so I can't say I really singled out the street market for rational strategic reasons, I just really, really, really like that sort of "gamble" like game play,

orleansparish
02-27-15, 01:38 PM
I buy everything at the market, except cucumbers (they're the devil), mayo, lettuce and seaweed. Everything else can and will come in handy. I get giddy when I see lobster and the rare salmon. I make everything if I can. I tried storing my regular stoges but it drove me nuts when my cheese, pasta and tomato supply grew so I brought them back to make pasta. I don't care about the costs of the items. I now have nine slots. I just unlocked Apple cider and it's a good money maker for me. Especially since I don't get many chance to make apple pie or the veggie juice.

I make coins easily enough, but still haven't unlocked vanilla milkshake because I don't know if it's worth it yet. The fruit stand is way too darn expensive! I have two slots unlovked. I love making stew but don't usually have free steaks, potatoes and carrots at the Same time. I just made two potato soups but didn't have meat, because Id put two bittenballs or whatever it's called on.

I wish I could upgrade my veggie stand again. Because mushrooms and onions are always at short supply. But it costs way too much, so unless I save mega coins and gem it the rest of the way, my shops won't see the 5th slot ever opening. And I don't care how much money I save, I'll never throw coins at getting a third fruit slot. I cringe to think how much strawberry will cost to unlock. I'm prepared for a shock with that one.

For me, right now, the game is about saving, collecting parts to expand and have a ball Decorating. When I get bored I go tip around the block and love seeing the different styles. With max shops in fashion, bakery and RS, I want to have one here too. And I like the look of some recipes.

So my goal is expand and buy a second salad shop. I got my first with gems, same with drink machine I think and one of my sandwich makers. I'm out of gems and won't buy anytime soon again.

orleansparish
02-27-15, 01:39 PM
I've eventually decided most lobster and potato recipes aren't really worth doing.

Just poped into my game, Im going to grab from street market:

Mushroom, flour, orange, pepper, chicken, seaweed, flour, apple, beef.

Letting go eggs, mayo, cheese, salmon, pea.

I do have 18 slots so I've grown used to almost always finding something rare on every refresh. It looks like I will have excess mushrooms and peppers today but not enough onions. That has become a bit of a pattern, the market tends to keep giving me two out of those three.

I basically use my suppliers like backup these days, I grab what I cook from the street market, only when I can't find them in the market do I go to the store. That way I will always have something to fall back on and won't leave a stove idle.

Until I deleted a lot of dishes last week, I almost persistently have my counters full so I could only keep cooking the same dishes. After I deleted most of this dishes last week, I now deliberately reserve a few throw away counters for dishes that I don't plan on making long term but only use for mastering recipes.

You don't like making the salmon sushi?

mcmug17
02-27-15, 01:56 PM

O_O

I do the lobster dishes at night. 2 Thermidor (basic spice) and 1 Bisque (house spice). That's $18190's worth of food saying good morning to me.

nmishii
02-27-15, 03:16 PM
Yeah, the lobster dishes with spice are great for overnight and when away for long periods. The potatoes are used for stew because I end up with a lot of beef and baked potato. Also longer dishes for the appliance with reasonable returns.

i run out of food everyday so i make whatever I can using all appliances. I'll go for the 5-6 coin dishes when I can, but those are usually low yield and short times, and not good for when away from the game for long periods. The recipes with the most servings are around 2 coins, but with spices the overall profit is a lot and I don't run out of food so fast.

PraxisOfGood
02-27-15, 03:48 PM
Keep in mind that tiggerhobbes is in some unusual high level purgatory where he or she never runs out of food ever. For the rest of us, basing our menu choices on the best gold-to-serving ratio is probably not as rational as making the food that is the most money per batch or the most money per hour of cooking.

rosewaterlily
02-27-15, 04:00 PM
The "right" recipes to make depend on how often you can check your game, how much stock you already have on your counters, which recipes you have unlocked, and which ingredients you have on hand from the street market. If you can check on the game all day, churning out the low yield/high coin recipes is better for higher profit, but when you're away from the game all day having the low coin/high yield recipes on the counter to not run out of food is better. Plus you have to decide whether mastering recipes is important or just collecting max coins.

My diner stove and commercial range are often left empty although occasionally I'll cook some French toast or eggs benedict to fill counters for their five coins, and they run out fast so I can turn over the counter quickly depending on what new things show up in my street market. All recipes for 1 or 2 coins/plate are banished from my restaurant except tuna casserole (stacked with house spice), although once I unlock coq au vin later today, my mushrooms/onions/house spice will be put towards that, and I generally only cook the three coin ones with high volume (minimum being the 480 servings provided by baked potatoes), preferably stacked with simple spice, although I'm also working on mastering lox bagel and antipasto platter but I don't bother to spice them.

tiggerhobbes
02-27-15, 11:23 PM
I don't make salmon sushi except for goal/ mastery because I can generally get more seaweed than rice.

Lobster recipe were good in the midrange levels, but I think I now have better options for stacking spices.

Keep in mind I only deleted my beginner dishes stockpile a week or so ago so I'm still adjusting my new balance, I've only started coming back to a game with empty counters recently lol. As more and more of my beginner dishes get sold out now I have more options available to me, but i am also very cautious about making low coinage dishes again.

After I switched to 5 to 6 coins dishes, I am no longer short on coins, the only thing holding me back from expansion is parts these days, I actually have excess coins sitting in my bank vault, I even indulged in a bit of decoration shopping spree as it looks like if I keep playing like this, I will not have to worry about coin shortage.

Which, ironically, might turn me back towards the idea of mid range coinage dishes that have better total yield, keep in mind I am focusing in 6 coins dishes right now because I was short on counter space and coins. I now have both, and im running out of things to buy with coins (unless they release new contents) so I will likely readjust.

WinnyWoos
02-28-15, 02:51 PM
I'm currently lv 44 and I only have 3 slots in my street market. Its never been a big benefit to me so I choose to use my tools on things of certaintly such as upgrading my shops so I know that no matter what, I'll have x amount of a certain item at a certain time. It's all just a personal preference on how you play your own game.

For those who think perhaps not having several slots in your street market is holding you back, I wouldn't stress. Like I said, I'm level 44 with only 3 slots and I've yet to run into issues with not having enough coins to progress nor worry about having counter space as I still haven't maxed out on my available counters for purchase and most of the time even have a couple counters in storage.

So with all that said, playing the game can certainly be done without having much of a street market:)

tiggerhobbes
03-01-15, 02:01 AM
That's actually a good point @winnie. I was coin-poor because I had so much excess ingredients that I couldn't take advantage of a large street market without also buying a lot of counters and buying up all the available stoves. 18 slots is probably excessive and created a huge imbalance in my game that made me constantly rushing to buy another stove to use up the ingredients, and buy another counter to plate the stuff I cook.

Bottom line is that this is just a game, I enjoy the raffle experience and the pleasure of it certainly improved as the market size increased. So choose based on what part of the game you enjoy and not as a "necessity"

And I'm really embarrassed about it now, I've rushed and rushed to buy more stove and counters to use up these ingredients, and whining about coin shortage. I've gotten to a point where im making a lot of coins quickly but I've ran out of things to buy with coins (unless you want to upgrade your market to level 6 for 1,340,000 coins! Not! I guess that's TLs way of saying this is as high up as we will let you get.)

WinnyWoos
03-01-15, 01:08 PM
Well that's really disappointing. If that's really the case, then this is the shortest lived TL game I've played. I only started this game to earn gems for Farm Story2 and that was December. I've stopped playing FS2 (maxed out and bored) and only play this now. Im a ways away from that here but if they don't start opening some of the "coming soon" features, my desire to continue playing will quickly fade.

mcmug17
03-01-15, 01:43 PM
Tigger, I think not being able to clear the counters / selling food fast enough to make coins all along was probably the most detrimental.

tiggerhobbes
03-01-15, 02:19 PM
Tigger, I think not being able to clear the counters / selling food fast enough to make coins all along was probably the most detrimental.

I really strongly agree with that. I think sooner or later most players will likely run into this as they move onto the higher yield recipes (lobsters etc).

So I cleared a bunch of counters and tried to work out the best combo of recipes, started doing lobsters again, and just like that, overnight I have 20 counters full and food stuck on stove with no counter to go on.

I have actually seriously ran out of reasonably priced items to buy right now, (no I'm not spending 1340k to upgrade one level in the market!) so in that sense there is no urgency to speed up food sales, it's more a matter of how they plan to work out the game in the long run, are they going to tweek sales rate, are they just going to give us more counters...

I can still expand restaurant size but waiting for parts, so while there was a coins bottle neck that I think I've gotten through (I.e. suddenly lots of coins expensive items opening up simultaneously at a certain level) I still have other game elements I need to work on (I.e. collecting parts.)

Since there's no urgency to earn coins anymore, I might rearrange the layout to favor decoration themes over speed of sales, main attraction of the game for me right now is still managing a good balance of resource etc. I'm still getting used to supplying for the cream/sugar - greedy chateau oven.