PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving, predictions and preparations from experienced players

danzplace
11-08-14, 04:14 AM
For those of you playing last year, wHat happened for Thanksgiving last year?

How are you preparing for this year? Best guesses appreciated...:)

Oh, and how did you all earn those Christmas trees?

jim23cash
11-08-14, 07:28 AM
The Christmas trees were for sale, for gems. They give you items when you cut them down. Some people just saved them. I don't remember if we got any for a quest or anything like that. I don't remember doing anything for Thanksgiving either, just a big event at Christmas...but just because I don't remember, doesn't mean nothing happened! :D

Castloninian
11-08-14, 07:40 AM
The Christmas trees were for sale, for gems. They give you items when you cut them down. Some people just saved them. I don't remember if we got any for a quest or anything like that. I don't remember doing anything for Thanksgiving either, just a big event at Christmas...but just because I don't remember, doesn't mean nothing happened! :D
Was it the Kingdom Inn for Thanksgiving?

vednir
11-08-14, 07:40 AM
There were several time limited quests over the holidays which produced a lot of angst amongst people. You'd do well to stock up on everything. One suggestion would be to save at least 1 of each feast to have it ready and waiting in case you need to send out an adventure as that will reduce the amount of prep time you'll need to do once any time limited quests go live.

The christmas trees last year were an utter and complete disappointment. They were choppable (who the heck chops a Christmas tree down before Christmas if you put one up?). They should have been decorations that you could collect from like the jack o lantern from halloween. Perhaps TL has learned something this year. The trees were only briefly storable as storing them allowed you to abuse an exploit and therefore any of us who have them in storage will need to decide this year whether to pull them out at all since once they're on the map they're never going to be able to be stored again which means they'll occupy space for the entire year unless you chop them down.

mnjcafe
11-08-14, 07:49 AM
I may be getting my years confused (I can't remember if I have been playing for 1 year or 2), but some things that have happened for thanksgiving were the event where we had to dress all our animals up in turkey costumes -- which led to identity crisis in some of my animals, who now hang out at the hatchery with the chickens -- and of course the infamous harvest pergola. For the harvest pergola, you had to collect fall leaves from red or yellow acer trees and then there were several other steps to get it fully upgraded. All of the items you needed for upgrades were only available during the event so there are many of us who have incomplete pergolas sitting in our inventory instead of out in our kingdoms. The pergola drops food items and feasts.

elkhornstorm
11-08-14, 08:10 AM
My pergola has never dropped a feast. It seems it has usually been bread and water, and not necessarily together.

brenstal
11-08-14, 08:54 AM
I think my Pergola has dropped a couple feasts. Plus it's so pretty; it's one of my favorite buildings. But yeah, last year for Thanksgiving we had the Pergola. Plus, the chicken, cow, and sheep that we dressed as turkeys. Then Christians was the Kingdom Inn and the Reindeer Stable. I didn't finish the stable, so it sits unfinished in my inventory. Also, we went on adventures to Polaris, which is a beautiful winter wonderland where our knights brought back building supplies.

jim23cash
11-08-14, 09:12 AM
Oh yes!! Last thanksgiving we had multiple quests for turkey animals! Now I remember! There was a lot going on then!
That's where I got my free turkey cow, turkey sheep, turkey pig and turkey chicken!! We had to use a lot of Dyes, and probably wool and furs. The leaves you can't obtain in advance.
I can't believe I forgot my Tur-animal herd! Lol!

ciarjen
11-08-14, 09:23 AM
There were some quests last year for Thanksgiving/Christmas which caught people out who didn't have large resources in stock. The timings were not good also and what with random drops from quests and "holiday" items which stopped dropping after Thanksgiving which confused people like me in the UK who thought "holiday" applied to Christmas. There were lots of unfinished Pergolas and Kingdom Inns. The Christmas trees, some you bought with coins, some with gems but you were supposed to buy them to chop them down before Christmas.:confused: It was very odd .....there were lots of complaints during this time but I think TL learned a lot and subsequent events have been reasonable to achieve.

Since then a lot of people have become hoarders of resources. I don't think you can plan because we don't know what they will have in store for us this year but it makes sense to keep your resources as close to maximum as possible.

I would suggest only doing trades in the exchange when you are close to maxing out unless it is the eggs and milk which are very quick to replenish if you need them. I would also suggest keeping all your crops close to 99. If an update began with "give 75 carrots" there will be many players who will do it instantly. If you have to grow those carrots, you may end up a couple of days behind. Silver and fur are very often required and not easy to obtain if you need them quick. It is always a good idea to have plenty of inks of different colours and also max stocks on all your petals and some stocks of your basics like beams, blocks, glues. Keep your saps stock high too just in case you need to make some more. In fact it may be easy just to check every item you have in your inventory which is low and aim to get it higher if you can, lol.

As far as food is concerned aim for stocks of the basics sugar, flours and chocolates in case of new recipes which need them and have a few feasts for each of the adventures we currently have, just in case you need to send then knights out on them.

And don't forget we have been given opportunities to get and make faerie blocks, beams and pastes. Do not be surprised to see if we need them soon.

jptheripper
11-08-14, 11:37 AM
i have stopped questing at the moment to stockpile feasts

CharmOfLea
11-08-14, 12:37 PM
There were some quests last year for Thanksgiving/Christmas which caught people out who didn't have large resources in stock. The timings were not good also and what with random drops from quests and "holiday" items which stopped dropping after Thanksgiving which confused people like me in the UK who thought "holiday" applied to Christmas. There were lots of unfinished Pergolas and Kingdom Inns. The Christmas trees, some you bought with coins, some with gems but you were supposed to buy them to chop them down before Christmas.:confused: It was very odd .....there were lots of complaints during this time but I think TL learned a lot and subsequent events have been reasonable to achieve.

Since then a lot of people have become hoarders of resources. I don't think you can plan because we don't know what they will have in store for us this year but it makes sense to keep your resources as close to maximum as possible.

I would suggest only doing trades in the exchange when you are close to maxing out unless it is the eggs and milk which are very quick to replenish if you need them. I would also suggest keeping all your crops close to 99. If an update began with "give 75 carrots" there will be many players who will do it instantly. If you have to grow those carrots, you may end up a couple of days behind. Silver and fur are very often required and not easy to obtain if you need them quick. It is always a good idea to have plenty of inks of different colours and also max stocks on all your petals and some stocks of your basics like beams, blocks, glues. Keep your saps stock high too just in case you need to make some more. In fact it may be easy just to check every item you have in your inventory which is low and aim to get it higher if you can, lol.

As far as food is concerned aim for stocks of the basics sugar, flours and chocolates in case of new recipes which need them and have a few feasts for each of the adventures we currently have, just in case you need to send then knights out on them.

And don't forget we have been given opportunities to get and make faerie blocks, beams and pastes. Do not be surprised to see if we need them soon.

Now I understand why ppl go "Restock! Restock! Restock!", ehehehe. I also went thru an old Thanksgiving thread, obviously there was a disaster concerning the eligibility for certain quests of non-US-resident players (and even Americans in selected States were not spared).... Anyway, I've decided to check the forum first before I load even 1 carrot into any type of anything during the coming Holidays. :)
*Going back to my kingdom to inquire on the carrot numbers! :)

PurpleScorpion76
11-08-14, 01:01 PM
Regarding thanksgiving can you te me did the event last one or two weeks and when did it start last year?

mnjcafe
11-09-14, 07:07 AM
Unfortunately I do not remember the exact timing, but (in relation to your other thread which I responded to) it was near American thanksgiving, not Canadian thanksgiving.

vednir
11-09-14, 08:37 AM

I'm really hoping there won't be any timed quests requiring faerie building materials ever. The adventure, trade and workshops require such a huge resource commitment to produce any significant quantity of them. My faerie workshop sits idle most of the time and I'm just waiting on the faerie bridge to drop enough items to build the second workshop. The only reason I'd like to have 2 in any event is for that very scenario that I'm loathe to encounter, having a time limited faerie quest.

I'm wildly speculating but forcing any limited time holiday quests to use faerie building materials will eliminate a lot of players that have not reached that stage of the game which is going to decrease TL's revenue since most people aren't going to spend gems to buy every single piece of a quest.

PurpleScorpion76
11-09-14, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately I do not remember the exact timing, but (in relation to your other thread which I responded to) it was near American thanksgiving, not Canadian thanksgiving.

I can't find my original post now. Will have to have a better search.

PurpleScorpion76
11-09-14, 09:12 AM
I'm wildly speculating but forcing any limited time holiday quests to use faerie building materials will eliminate a lot of players that have not reached that stage of the game which is going to decrease TL's revenue since most people aren't going to spend gems to buy every single piece of a quest.

I think you're completely right, I wound be incredibly surprised if TL did a holiday event for the higher level players I'm level 44 now and nowhere near faerie buildings I'm just about to hatch my dragon and just making the silver bars for Glimmergate quest line.

jptheripper
11-09-14, 09:20 AM
I'm really hoping there won't be any timed quests requiring faerie building materials ever. The adventure, trade and workshops require such a huge resource commitment to produce any significant quantity of them. My faerie workshop sits idle most of the time and I'm just waiting on the faerie bridge to drop enough items to build the second workshop. The only reason I'd like to have 2 in any event is for that very scenario that I'm loathe to encounter, having a time limited faerie quest.

If you are in such constraints, why build a second workshop just for it too to be idle? better off saving the supplies

ciarjen
11-09-14, 09:43 AM

I don't think they will be used either for an event. I just would not be surprised to see an update happen at any time which required these materials and it could be that there are more Faerie buildings to build. I'll save whatever supplies I am getting just in case. I too only have one workshop which sits idle most of the time due to the low drop rate on Fey crystals and I am reluctant to use up what supply I have of essence, just in case.....

ryusei745
11-09-14, 09:25 PM
i plant a bunch of trees, usually a mix of sap and others, and water them up to be ready for chopping in case heavy amounts of wood/sap are required for the event. stockpile coins also in case of needing to buy rockpiles.

a definite +1 to stockpile all crops. if any quest requires you to harvest instead of have, you can just whip up kitchen items with that crop within the harvest time of any of them except corn.

stockpile dyes is almost a must. every event i remember requires them, and most timed quests i remember also. go heavy on yellow and red for fall. light on blue till you want to prep for xmas. thankfully this new cauldron item from the last event makes it so i never have to craft dyes again.

living wood and silver are things to stockpile. they are very hard for me to get lately. and energy granting items. i always make sure i have a magic fruit trade ready, 99 on each item for meat delivery, and up to 4 (maybe 5) faerie elixir ready to make if possible. ive never been able to make more than two of those per event but this time i think i can reach the 4 max. if its anything these past couple events have taught us its that there is no end to how much energy CS can suck out of us. i dinged from 42-43 this last event. started the event at the very tail end of 41, dinged after a couple harvests, and dinged again before the end of the event. these things need TONS of energy.

Stockpile adventures. mainly the higher level ones that have higher chances of giving more energy as rewards. so desert sands and dark caves are good ones to stockpile. i never adventure unless required by a quest or during events so i have a month and a half worth of adventures piled up (including those i could send from barracks).

QueenCarolyn
11-09-14, 10:54 PM
After making the turkey animals, I remember Christmas had something to do with hot chocolate and gingerbread men.

Gweo
11-10-14, 12:50 AM
Two years ago we had this

http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?40383-Wheat-Harvest-Contest!-Get-Farming!-Win-2-000-Gems!

But I doubt we will get anything like that.

AnniePMH
11-10-14, 02:37 AM

http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?40383-Wheat-Harvest-Contest!-Get-Farming!-Win-2-000-Gems!

I certainly hope not! That sounds horrible...:(

ryusei745
11-10-14, 09:21 AM

actually. some sort of thing like that. just make it like the events we've been having and make it everytime someone gets one of the prizes they get put into the drawing. and then also another drawing for everyone who's unlocked the community prizes whenever one of those is earned

but have the huge gem prize, you know, be in addition to what we normally earn. just this is extra incentive for those of us who are getting burnt out on collecting thousands of event items.

jim23cash
11-10-14, 09:52 AM
Yeah, the Christmas event had us sending quests to Polaris, using hot chocolate and Gingerbread, I think you could get one or both from cottages, and maybe neighbors? And we had to collect building stuff from the Polaris adventure to build a special building. I think it was the reindeer one for Christmas, but I think the Kingdom Inn came from Polaris as well. No matter what you save up, there will probably be new things needed as well. That way, no one can breeze thru it (unless they use gems).

silveryedges
11-10-14, 11:44 AM
Speaking of Thanksgiving and considering that it is on different dates all over the world - When exactly will Thanksgiving be this year in the US?

Btw the harvest pergola made me so happy that I decided to buy a second one for gems a few months ago. Never disappoints me with giving feasts and bread and things at reasonable intervals. I just shrug off the lesser exciting collections because the good ones make up for those.

kooky panda
11-10-14, 11:47 AM
Speaking of Thanksgiving and considering that it is on different dates all over the world - When exactly will Thanksgiving be this year in the US?

Btw the harvest pergola made me so happy that I decided to buy a second one for gems a few months ago. Never disappoints me with giving feasts and bread and things at reasonable intervals. I just shrug off the lesser exciting collections because the good ones make up for those.
November 27th!

mnjcafe
11-10-14, 08:08 PM
Ooh, that quest does not sound so good. I guess that means I have only been playing for a year, not two, because I was around for the turkey costumes but not the wheat harvest. Last year's events and this year's have been really fun!

Purple Scorpion, that Thanksgiving thread got moved to Off Topic, unfortunately. It is not even in the Castle Story section of the forum anymore. You have to click on your own name and see your past posts to get to it.

gilachaya
11-11-14, 05:10 AM
November 27th!

Can everyone buy a second Harvest Pergola? I looked for it but could not find it. Thanks!

Em_storm
11-11-14, 08:01 AM

Oh, yes, I remember that quest. I had just started playing. Ah, the memories...

Liloze
11-11-14, 10:26 AM
Can everyone buy a second Harvest Pergola? I looked for it but could not find it. Thanks!

Yes you can, Click on The Market Icon, then Buildings then Special, you will find it there :)

gilachaya
11-11-14, 10:58 AM
Thank you Liloze!

Liloze
11-11-14, 12:14 PM
Thank you Liloze!

My pleasure :)

robotparade
11-11-14, 02:50 PM
stockpile dyes is almost a must. every event i remember requires them, and most timed quests i remember also. go heavy on yellow and red for fall. light on blue till you want to prep for xmas.

When you guys talk about stockpiling dye, what number of each color do you stockpile?

dirtycakes6
11-11-14, 03:16 PM
i have stopped questing at the moment to stockpile feasts

At what level are you able to stock up on feasts?

Actually, at what level do you get to take part in these updates?

Im only sitting on level 10.. i need to level up faster..

PurpleScorpion76
11-11-14, 03:31 PM
Purple Scorpion, that Thanksgiving thread got moved to Off Topic, unfortunately. It is not even in the Castle Story section of the forum anymore. You have to click on your own name and see your past posts to get to it.

Clearly I should have titled it better and maybe my body text, this thread was exactly the sort of information I was after for the upcoming Thanksgiving. Seems to be the only difference between mine and this thread!

Edit: Just found my thread. I got lots of interesting info on Thanksgiving celebrations. Excellent. Got a few things right. Learnt some stuff too. Reading both threads, I'm interested to see how this years Thanksgiving plays out in Castle Story .

vednir
11-11-14, 04:02 PM
A lot of recent quests have been around level 10 to 15 so I'd say if you're in that range you should be able to participate. Likely people who have stockpiles will feel less pressured to finish everything before the quests expire but there have been plenty of people who have reported finishing time limited quests with little to no hoards.

dirtycakes6
11-11-14, 04:23 PM
A lot of recent quests have been around level 10 to 15 so I'd say if you're in that range you should be able to participate. Likely people who have stockpiles will feel less pressured to finish everything before the quests expire but there have been plenty of people who have reported finishing time limited quests with little to no hoards.

Good to know, thanks!

roguebee
11-11-14, 06:35 PM
At what level are you able to stock up on feasts?

Actually, at what level do you get to take part in these updates?

Im only sitting on level 10.. i need to level up faster..

Be sure to visit neighbors to acquire a few more xps each day. I think you can get up to 10 if you visit enough Plus you can gain a few extra energies as the other benefit from visiting.

dirtycakes6
11-11-14, 09:14 PM
Be sure to visit neighbors to acquire a few more xps each day. I think you can get up to 10 if you visit enough Plus you can gain a few extra energies as the other benefit from visiting.

Thanks!

silveryedges
11-12-14, 01:16 AM
November 27th!

Thank you Kooky :)

So this will allow me to stock up on many things. Great!

claupu
11-12-14, 07:27 AM
Yes you can, Click on The Market Icon, then Buildings then Special, you will find it there :)

You can only buy a second Pergola when you built the first one. People - like me - who haven't been around for that event can only have one Pergola (bought with gems).

vednir
11-12-14, 09:39 AM
Technically if you have enough gems you can buy a second pergola as well.

NorthWoodsKingdom
11-12-14, 06:03 PM
Technically if you have enough gems you can buy a second pergola as well.
claupu is correct on this one... If you were around to build one during Thanksgiving '13, then you can buy a second one in the market.
If you weren't playing then and didn't BUILD the first one, it doesn't matter how many gems you have cuz the pergola is only available in the market for you to purchase ONCE.

Liloze
11-12-14, 07:01 PM
You can only buy a second Pergola when you built the first one. People - like me - who haven't been around for that event can only have one Pergola (bought with gems).

I really don't know about this part, since I built mine, and the option to buy another one is still available, as you explained.
she was asking where to find it, and I answered :)

vednir
11-12-14, 09:39 PM
claupu is correct on this one... If you were around to build one during Thanksgiving '13, then you can buy a second one in the market.
If you weren't playing then and didn't BUILD the first one, it doesn't matter how many gems you have cuz the pergola is only available in the market for you to purchase ONCE.

That's intriguing I didn't even realize this. I suppose this means I could at some point in time also get a second kingdom inn (useless since earth wisps are reasonably plentiful) and reindeer stable (slightly more useful since it once again drops ice cream and sugar which can relieve the strain on your kitchens but only once per day).

ryusei745
11-15-14, 09:12 PM
That's intriguing I didn't even realize this. I suppose this means I could at some point in time also get a second kingdom inn (useless since earth wisps are reasonably plentiful) and reindeer stable (slightly more useful since it once again drops ice cream and sugar which can relieve the strain on your kitchens but only once per day).

still, reindeer stable #2 would be totally worth it to me. restock your sugar and ice cream while crafting a bunch of stuff for other feasts.

PurpleScorpion76
11-19-14, 12:42 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for this to start tomorrow :)

zoeee87
11-19-14, 01:39 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for this to start tomorrow :)

Meeeee tooooo!!! I bet they will do a 10 day time limited quest and we probably won't get anything next week since next Thursday is Thanksgiving.

PurpleScorpion76
11-19-14, 01:54 PM
Meeeee tooooo!!! I bet they will do a 10 day time limited quest and we probably won't get anything next week since next Thursday is Thanksgiving.

I did think that, I'm in the UK so for us it's a normal working day, but it wouldn't be fair to all our American friends who will be spending time with families to spring an update. Plus TL will also have families to go to and spend time with.

ryusei745
11-20-14, 08:11 AM
I don't think it'll be an actual event this soon after another one. Probably just a quest chain to build a new something

PurpleScorpion76
11-20-14, 08:49 AM
I don't think it'll be an actual event this soon after another one. Probably just a quest chain to build a new something

I agree and whatever it is I'm looking forward to it.