PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving

PurpleScorpion76
11-07-14, 08:29 AM
I'm in the UK and apart from Friends episodes I don't really know much about thanksgiving.

Here's what I do know or what I think I know...

Thanksgiving involves an American holiday (Canadian a month before) where you give thanks (I'm not sure for what). Eat turkey. There's a thanksgiving parade where Santa turns up to start the Christmas celebrations countdown. The following day every shop goes mad and slashes prices.

So American and Canadian friends tell me, What did I get right? What did I get wrong? What do you do to celebrate? Family traditions etc. When is it celebrated? For some reason I think it moves, bit like Easter or the Chinese New Year?

I'm interested because I've always wanted to know but also I'm interested to see how the Thanksgiving celebrations may play out in Castle Story.

robino23
11-07-14, 08:49 AM
You've got the gist of it. It is a day to give thanks to "everything." It was mirrored after the dinner the pilgrims and indians shared back in the day. My family celebrates by having dinner together, watching football, playing frisbee (if weather permits), and looking at the sale ads! We have to plot our strategy for Black Friday. It is absolutely one of my favorite holidays!

29vanilla
11-07-14, 10:35 AM
You got it:). For some reason Thanksgiving is a more meaningful sentimental spiritual celebration of Family than any of the other American-based holidays for me on my husbands side since mine aren't too close which makes me sad. The traditional foods (ie turkey etc) are prepared; we all contribute to the holiday feast; children play and prepare their letters of thanks; we play cards, do puzzles, watch sports, and old movies. We gather for prayer and the children read their letters the adults give personal thanks if they want (some are shy); we remember those special family members who are no longer with us. Such a great holiday for family devotion!

TL could incorporate a special gift to give to our neighbors for this holiday (already prepared feasts for adventures). A "give thanks" statuary that drops feasts to remind us to be thankful of man-kind.

PurpleScorpion76
11-07-14, 11:38 AM
Wouldn't they be great a pilgrims house that drops feasts!

mnjcafe
11-08-14, 08:03 AM
Thanksgiving (which began as a feast of thanks shared by the pilgrims -- European immigrants -- and the Native Americans to give thanks for the bounty of the land and the helpfulness of the natives in teaching the pilgrims how to plant and farm the local crops to survive) is celebrated in the US as a harvest festival.

Typically, there is a big meal, with turkey and stuffing, corn, potatoes, cranberry sauce, and various harvest-time foods like squash and sweet potatoes and such. For dessert, there is lots of pie, especially pumpkin pie. Every family has their tradition of what all the meal includes. We also go around the table and everyone says what he/she is thankful for each year.

It's considered an important time to be with family, so most Americans (and Canadians) will travel cross country to be with the family on this day.

There is also a big football game on this day in the US, so lots of American families watch the football game as part of their TG tradition.

PurpleScorpion76
11-11-14, 03:36 PM
There is also a big football game on this day in the US, so lots of American families watch the football game as part of their TG tradition.

Yep forgot to add that in, remember seeing that on an episode of friends too!

PurpleScorpion76
11-11-14, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all this info learnt some things today which is great!