PDA

View Full Version : Investigating boosted breeding

sfinks101
09-17-14, 11:22 AM
Hi all.

I know there are countless topics about this, and the only awnser anyone will give you is: Be patient, and so on.
But i didnt quite Accept that the Developers dont care about their own work, so i did some testing.
Actually i didnt even Complete the teste, because the outcome was so Extreme i just concluded right away.

Ok, here is what i did.
I wanted to see how effective the boosted breeding was, compared to normal breeding.
So my plan was to do 25 boosted and 25 normal With the same combo.
The combo was green forest and black lotus.
This combo gives all these combinations:

Atlantis Dragon Super Rare 15 hours 15
Island Dragon Common 20 hours 20
Serpent Dragon Rare 16 hours 16
Waverider Dragon Rare 18 hours 18
Familiar Dragon Rare 18 hours 18
Poison Dragon Common 21 hours 21
Hunter Dragon Rare 19 hours 19
Troll Dragon Super Rare 20 hours 20
Aether Dragon Super Rare 16 hours 16
Celestial Dragon Super Rare 9 hours 9
Coral Dragon Common 10 hours 10
Iridescent Dragon Rare 12 hours 12
Mistmoth Dragon Super Rare 12 hours 12
Penumbra Dragon Rare 25 hours 25
Wizard Dragon Rare 22 hours 22
Aurora Dragon Rare 15 hours 15

So i started With boosted. I stopped on 15 attempts and did 4 normal tries.
And here is the resault:

Boosted:
14 x island dragon
1 x serpent dragon

Normal:
2 x island dragon
1 x waverider
1 x aurora dragon

These resaults does not make any sence. So i suggest the boosted breeding is not even coded any different then normal. I suspect in the core code they do exactly the same.
If this is not true i challange anyone to show anything that dissproves this theory.

The only thing i did not take in considderation With this test, is the outcome of breeding the same combo multiple times in a row. Witch ive seen other have tested and belive can have a negative effect.

PS! this is not a complain or common nagging, its just a pure test/challange to the game program code.
I challange a programmer from lava team to awnser this. What is the actual % chanse of success when useing boosted. Like With a Diamond mine you will increase Your chanse With 6 times. But i really dont see any effect on boosted breeding.

Hope ppl can take this as a study, not a complain.

freshfunin2008
09-17-14, 11:42 AM
When boosted breeding was free for a couple of days (more than once) I used it and I never got anything that I didn't already have with non boosted breeding. I know it varies from player to player but why pay gold for something that doesn't guarantee a rare or better dragon. I think I got a handful of commons with boosted breeding.

[S8] Elsa
09-17-14, 01:45 PM
Boosted Breeding increases your chance to breed Rares, but it doesn't guarantee it. So while you have a higher chance to get those Dragons, you still have the opportunity to receive Commons.

With that being said, each breed is a new roll. So, you could breed 15 times normal and get Islands for all of them or you could get lucky and get the rare you wanted the first time. What Boosted Breeding does is slightly boosts your chances of rolling a Rare for each breed you use it on.

cheriesrealm
09-17-14, 02:14 PM
Sounds like boosted breeding should just cost a bunch of coins and not gold since it doesn't seem to be much better than regular breeding. Although, I will say that when we had the free boosted breeding, I was finally able to breed a Diamond using Virtue and Independence. But who knows if I might have had the same luck with just normal breeding since there are only 14 possibilities.

sfinks101
09-17-14, 04:37 PM
Great responces guys. Totally agree on the last two.
I think Elsa is correct With the statment: slightly
And With that in mind, i think a more fair cost for this feature would be 1 mill coins or so, instead of 12 gold.

It would still be cool to hear if someone have snapped up the actual increase procentage :)

tify74
09-18-14, 01:50 AM
To make a prober test on weather or not it works u would need results from many players, i'd think at least 100 players testing boosted and 100 testing normal.
When the diamond temple recently was on sale I had almost finished a week of the temple for the normal price on one of my accounts. So when it had 12 hours to go I sold it so I could get the week on sale. I had very bad luck on that account, and only 2 hours before the second temple expired I got a timer for 36 hours (unicorn).
On the other hand my other account only used the sale temple and got 2 diamonds, mercury and angel. Its all about luck, and my main account just doesnt have it :(

JustKay
09-20-14, 05:57 PM
I think your test run was too short to display any real affect. If the role is one in a hundred, then you'd need to do a hundred (actually several) to see any small statistical variations. I don't doubt that boosted breed does improve your luck, but this is luck that is pretty small to begin with.

Not that I have any scientific proof to back this, but from my own experience with free/coin boosted breed weekends. I get the most success in the first attempt, then I get nothing great after ward. Seeing as I never use boosted breed outside of free weekends, it always felt like boosted breed has to recharge. you get a pent up bonus and then the rest of the weekend it's recharging so you get nada benefit. that said that could just be luck probability at work.

AwesomeChefDad
09-20-14, 08:12 PM
I think it is a scam...has never worked for me and for the odds they list, I would expect better results from comments here too.

MakJulos
09-21-14, 02:01 AM
I think it is a scam...has never worked for me and for the odds they list, I would expect better results from comments here too.

Boosted breeding is a joke, but i don't think it's an actual scam though - i guess that the gold you pay might even double your chances to get a "rarer" type dragon (and let's not get into that other joke, the so called rarity ranks) but since the odds are so poor from start it most often ends up as a waste of gold anyway since you really haven't bettered your overall odds much at all.

Most functions in DS is set up to drive you into buying gold, and i think if you do that, and combine "boosted breeding" with speed breeding you see results quicker naturally - but personally i don't feel like paying money to compensate for lousy odds that way.

I do use "boosted breeding" now and then, it's stupid since i really don't get better results using it compared to when i'm not, but....i guess i still hope for it to make a difference. Lately i've reached 200+ gold from goals and nice neighbors, so i've been trying to boost breeding Night/Lotus to get another Night Elf (trading for gem is the plan) but EVERY time i've used the boost i have gotten a Water dragon, it's almost funny! That is...almost...

MakJulos
09-21-14, 11:12 AM
Just switched combo, and put in Diamond/Lotus to breed something nice...and just because i'm stupid i chose the so called "boosted breeding" again - i know it's a with rare exceptions useless feature, but i was thinking...ah, i guess i wasn't thinking, and sure enough it gave me a common Coral dragon! Oh well, i cannot blame anyone but myself, and it is kinda good that DS once again proves that my decision to not reward this game by buying gold is correct - so, thank you! :D

rissah
09-21-14, 01:46 PM
I didn't think saying it just ups your chances explains 14 island dragons out of 15 chances, until I read the word slightly. I always thought Boosted Breed gave you an actual, better shot at getting a non-common dragon. But now I think I'm on board with the people who thinks it does nothing. I always thought it just did nothing for me, but it looks like I'm my the only one.

hugpete
09-22-14, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure why people don't believe Elsa and TL. It's strange. Boosted breed boosts the breed, plain and simple. We don't know the numbers or percentages for "rolling" a rare, but with boosted breed it's higher than without, period.

MakJulos
10-15-14, 08:32 AM
I'm not sure why people don't believe Elsa and TL. It's strange. Boosted breed boosts the breed, plain and simple. We don't know the numbers or percentages for "rolling" a rare, but with boosted breed it's higher than without, period.

Of course, but the boosted breeding is still a joke not worth wasting your gold on since this "boost" obviously is really really tiny.

I play DS a lot more casually now, game has stalled and it's just same-same constantly, reskinned dragons and the classic battle lotteries, spin wheels seem mostly like gold traps too even if i actually got a dragon i didn't have from last one (halleluja), and the boosted breeding remains the same too - just tried for Boo, 3 possible outcomes from using Light/Peacock : "super rare" Boo, "rare" Hypnotic and the common Luck. Just 3 options, surely this must be a good time to use "boosted breeding"? Well, it would've been, if my goal had been to pay 12 gold for a common Luck dragon.... The world is changing, but some things can always be trusted in - taxes, death and the poor boosted breeding odds! :D

freshfunin2008
10-15-14, 09:44 AM
We thank you for your research. It should say if you use boosted breeding and you get a rare or better you are just lucky.