PDA

View Full Version : Storm Sphynx- 9-9-2014

my607
09-09-14, 12:16 PM
There's a new electric animal . So, I was wondering what does the egg look like? How many hours does it take to hatch?

edit(KP) 21 Hours

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y416/kookypanda99/b461591e-3f33-40ea-a710-515c246a0768_zpscafeb1d8.png (http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/kookypanda99/media/b461591e-3f33-40ea-a710-515c246a0768_zpscafeb1d8.png.html)

http://media.tumblr.com/42d448bb2eaa565e365344d4abb83bf5/tumblr_inline_nbnmt8ozWv1qm7yoc.pngAs the great sand storm subsides, a majestic beast steps out from the shadows! Empower your Forest with this Creature’s presence! Your ranks will certainly be electrifying with the Storm Sphinx in Fantasy Forest Story (https://www.facebook.com/fantasyforestapp)!

cocauina
09-09-14, 12:36 PM
electric + nature
super rare

based up on magmacore design

granzen4
09-09-14, 01:21 PM
Electric and nature = 21 hours
I have one on my nest.

zenobia42
09-09-14, 01:24 PM
Congrats, granzen4!

Do you have a screenshot of the egg you could share with us?

my607
09-09-14, 02:42 PM
Every time there's a new animal it takes forever to hatch. Which animals did you use?

SANDSCApe
09-09-14, 02:49 PM
I spotted the egg in a neighbor's forest:

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a517/SandScapes/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9a4c15cf.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/SandScapes/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9a4c15cf.jpg.html)

Oops! Looks like Kooky edited the OP with a pic while I was uploading mine.

SANDSCApe
09-09-14, 03:04 PM
electric + nature
super rare

based up on magmacore design
... which has yet to appear in anything other than super-rare.
Magmacore
Glacial Griffin
Gargolem
Storm Sphinx
With the most recent addition, the form finally includes Nature.
Every element except Gem now has a creature whose body and animations are based on this form.

cquinn32
09-09-14, 03:47 PM
Yay!! 21hrs in the den with emerald/lightning leopard

kita_drisk
09-09-14, 04:22 PM
Yay! First electric I tried to breed, I got this little darling. ^_^

zenobia42
09-09-14, 06:44 PM
Congrats, cquinn32 & kita_drisk!

tiggerpiget
09-09-14, 09:25 PM
Got it, thunderhawk x thunderhawk, 21 hrs

flowless
09-09-14, 10:12 PM
Did it take a lot of tries
Cuz it took my 6 tries to get the rare one
Not sure if I should move on to breed other missings or still try for this

sehana
09-10-14, 02:26 AM
http://supremedynasty.com/pix/ffanimal_lbolt_stormsphinx_stg1.png

kita_drisk
09-10-14, 05:05 AM
I didn't have any problems with it. This one actually started breeding the first attempt I had (mixing the panda and lightening leopard). But with some super rares, I've had ridiculous luck. Others elude me no matter what I do (or so it seems). I'd say it's worth a few tries, but if you' re not successful with this critter, go for other breeds instead.

sukyee
09-10-14, 06:21 AM
Woohoo for my first try of getting 21hrs in the den now, breeding using daredevil and planther.

BlueCanary
09-10-14, 06:24 AM
I have one in the den with Thunderhawk x Firefox :)

zenobia42
09-10-14, 09:39 AM
I didn't have any problems with it. This one actually started breeding the first attempt I had (mixing the panda and lightening leopard). But with some super rares, I've had ridiculous luck. Others elude me no matter what I do (or so it seems). I'd say it's worth a few tries, but if you' re not successful with this critter, go for other breeds instead.

My luck goes the same way. Some rares and super rares pop out the first try, and many later tries. Jackalopes for me breed like, well, rabbits, lol. I've lost count of how many of them I've sold, despite them being "rare" and knowing other people have trouble getting just one. I have 3 magmacores (super rare), but I can't get a single grassquatch or vinotaur to save my life, although I've been trying for both since the game was released.

The electric-fire combo gave me a daredevil first try, then another soon after. But for the nature-fire combos, I can't get anything but thunderhawks. Note however that other than once, my attempts at a rare or super rare nature-electric have been using 4 elements in the den, in my impotent attempts at a unicorn, while maximizing the chance of getting something I do not yet have when I inevitably fail at the unicorn again. Yet thunderhawks #2, 3 AND 4 come out of my electric-nature-fire-earth combos, so my RNG is picking those 2 elements out of the 4 I put in regularly... just not budging on the rarity. And I change up the particular animals I pair almost every time.

55lee55
09-10-14, 10:39 AM
Not as easy as the other ones for me but sitting pretty on my nest using Eagle Beagle 10 x Eagle Beagle 4

Still missing Emerald and will unless there is a gem sale or a critter sale, and as I caught one gem sale that lasted about ten minutes it seemed shortly after this game was made available to me, I don't expect them to be happening here. That is a nice aspect of CS, the gem sales that you can just about count on one or two a week. This is a different type of game though, so I am not holding out for gem sales. So short of a sale, I don't expect to be joining the Full Album Club anytime soon.

It no longer is such a big deal that I haven't bred an Emerald Dragon, because I am one of the fortunate ones who finally bred a Unicorn and a nice herd of Pegasi. This game is really growing on me. Thanks TL for keeping something always available, even if it is very expensive expansions. It is something to work toward. These expansions also allow for mining activities which help with food and income, and allow Rune collection. If you haven't noticed, as soon as you expand you can begin mining for Runes again for your next expansion. There is no longer the waste of explosives that are earned but unsaved in addition to selling an animal that you have waited a day or more to hatch for $100. Great move TL!

This makes this game move along at an interesting pace for me and there are more than adequate new animal additions to keep me interested. The decorations are a wonderful addition! Thanks for those as well TL!

I am happy now that I have places to go and things to do, and with the Peg Air Force in Lieu of an Emerald I am making enough income to really enjoy playing!

I feel for those still waiting for some income production, because this is the most expensive game I play, in terms of in game coins required to do anything. But I can do it, barely, and I can keep playing (yes I am buying some gems). What started out as a lame game with few possibilities is beginning to bloom for me. I urge you, if you still have no big income producers, like a Unicorn or Emerald Dragon or a flock of Ultra Rares, to keep trying. Especially now that this creature has arrived on our doorsteps.

This new Storm Sphinx seems to be obtainable, and while it is new so we haven't seen the production rates, the breed time is the longest so far outside of the over four day wait for the two nearly impossibles. I see this guy (or gal) as a sort of bridge for those of us who need income but aren't winning the FFS Lottery, which in my opinion is what it now takes to breed a Unicorn or Emerald Dragon.

I think we are going to end up loving this one, who is obtainable but not too easy, and I suspect the Sphinx will provide the income needed to keep up with the game as it is blooming. TL was wise in releasing several Electric/Nature breeds prior to releasing this Sphinx because it gives us plenty of options to breed and I doubt there will be any who can say they are missing an element to breed the Sphinx as we who want to breed an Emerald must have a Unicorn first (at least this is my understanding, but I could be wrong).

I hope I am right is seeing this Sphinx as an obtainable and affordable alternative to those who need not be named.

I am also very happy TL, with the addition of affordable and very attractive decor, as well as a poll and questions for suggestions. It knocks down that wall that was there in the beginning between TL and the players of a new (for many of us) game. Thanks!

Is anyone as curious as I am about what this Sphinx will breed with to produce next? I am hoping that there will be more nice surprises in store beginning with this winged one. I suspect it will be special in more ways than having the longest hatch time outside of the Gemstones. I hope there is great potential in this egg!

SANDSCApe
09-10-14, 12:25 PM
Lee, I don't think anyone will have trouble loving any Electric super, if we could all just breed one. A long breed time is always welcome if it means you've bred a much sought after animal.

In some ways, breeding for the Sphinx may be more frustrating than Unicorn hunting:
1. You do NOT encounter 44-hour common fails when breeding for Unicorn.
2. Fails when breeding Unicorn include about 20 different animals usually, so there's a fair share of nice ones.
3. Many of us are invariably drawing one and only one fail repeatedly as we try for Sphinx. I'm so disgusted at Thunderhawk by now that I've almost forgotten that there's the Eagle Beagle which I haven't bred yet either. LOL At least you had 2 Beagles to go Garden-dancing together.

Electric supers will certainly be the new elite. I expect TeamLava have coded them to "maintain their rarity" and "ensure balance." You know, balance between those with and those without. Not "equality among" -- "balance between."

55lee55
09-10-14, 02:56 PM
Lee, I don't think anyone will have trouble loving any Electric super, if we could all just breed one. A long breed time is always welcome if it means you've bred a much sought after animal.

In some ways, breeding for the Sphinx may be more frustrating than Unicorn hunting:
1. You do NOT encounter 44-hour common fails when breeding for Unicorn.
2. Fails when breeding Unicorn include about 20 different animals usually, so there's a fair share of nice ones.
3. Many of us are invariably drawing one and only one fail repeatedly as we try for Sphinx. I'm so disgusted at Thunderhawk by now that I've almost forgotten that there's the Eagle Beagle which I haven't bred yet either. LOL At least you had 2 Beagles to go Garden-dancing together.

Electric supers will certainly be the new elite. I expect TeamLava have coded them to "maintain their rarity" and "ensure balance." You know, balance between those with and those without. Not "equality among" -- "balance between."

Sand, you are the breeding expert so I bow to your expertise. I was unaware of the large group drawing only one fail after repeatedly trying for the Sphinx. I was drawing many different fails. It certainly makes a difference if there is a built in tendency toward only one fail no matter the breeding. I fortunately did not encounter that issue.

I was basing my comments solely on the few initial pages I saw here in this thread along with my own experience. I saw people reporting they were breeding the Sphinx, where originally you were the only one I saw breeding the Unicorn ;)

And with a small investment in gems, I was able to breed this cutie. On the other hand, I had a heck of a time getting the Unicorn and have failed so many times trying for the Emerald that I have a ten member Peg Air Force. As Pegs are rare themselves, even with my admitted luck in breeding them, I was seeing this Sphinx as a bridge between the Gemstones and the Elemental Ultra Rares. You know the breeding stats though, and I can't balance my own checkbook, so I was basing my comments on the fact that people, including myself seemed to be breeding the Sphinx without standing on our heads and praying to the glitch gods that we would stumble upon some secret method of breeding them and breed them in secret droves before TL caught on or someone spilled the beans. I didn't have to step on one bean to get my Sphinx, but then again I spent some gems failing, which I used the higher paying fails to replace my lower paying fails, which allowed me to follow someone's lead of breeding two like animals successfully, so I quickly evolved a high ranking fail, an Eagle Beagle or Beagle Eagle, I can never remember their names, and I threw them together and Bob's your uncle, I got my egg. No magic, not cheap, but I did it on release day, within the reach of most of us with the exception of those who are brave enough to be playing for free, and without going totally broke.

I would suggest that Sand is the expert here, and I am the opposite, so listen to Sand. I am a beginner at these types of games and I see the flaw in my reasoning already because I speed hatched my egg and if this was a bridge between the Gemstones and the Arcane Elements, it should earn roughly half of what the Unicorn did at the same level, and it is much closer to my Pegs than to a bridge between the Elements and the Gems. Sorry folks, Sand has the right of it. I just dumped mine in with my Peg Fliers and while it will maybe earn a bit more per animal, it is certainly not a missing link as I was hoping that would allow those with neither a Unicorn nor an Emerald to achieve a modicum of equity with those who "Have".

I agree Sand, this is not equity among, but at best it is balance between, and when I look at the earning of the Sphinx I am disappointed that for the long hatch time there doesn't seem to be a greater difference in earnings. Then again, I have a learning disability in math and the statistics which Sand understands and is so good at when dealing with this game are far beyond my capability, so the earnings may be equitable, but it just seems to me they are not. I would go with Sand's observations on this, and ignore me, sorry.

I am not sure my Electric Super will be an Elite unless it is required to be part of some future special breeding. In itself, it is not a big enough overachiever to convince me to risk Sand's fail rates to try for a second. Once again I was lucky.

My other opinions still stand. I am much happier now that TL is moving the game along rather than opening up one or two possible expansions then stopping the game. As long as it is progressing, either having battles or active mining and expansion possibilities I am not as likely to be as frustrated with it as I was in the beginning. And I do like the decorations.

There is room for improvement, of course, but TL will not improve it all at once because then some of their staff would likely be out of a job and you can't blame folks for wanting job security. I was pretty sure in the beginning that they would need to either move or be out of a job. They moved which gave us a playable game.

I am still unhappy with this built in class stratification between the haves and the have nots. I am a lucky oddity, hanging by myself with my Air Force, somewhere between the two classes of players. Again, Sand you will need to help me out with this, but it seems to me that as this game matures, there will be an inevitable widening between the Haves and Have Nots because there doesn't seem to be a built in cost of living raise. In fact we have the opposite when wages were spread among 15 from 10 levels. It seems to me that as time passes, those who do eventually get their Gemstones, which I believe most will if they continue to try, but the gap between the affordability of items increases with each addition, in other words it costs more each time to expand, but those who are Haves will be able to make the income and keep up with the game, while the distance between those at the leading edge of the game and those who take a week or more to earn the million $ to expand a block seems like it would grow bigger with every new and more expensive addition to the game.

So, does anyone see this happening, or am I worrying about something that isn't going to happen? If it does though, does anyone have advice for those who feel they are being left behind? Because while now I am sort of hanging out here alone, all it will take is a requirement to breed anything with an Emerald Dragon to get the next new hybrids, and I will plummet back to the Have Nots overnight. My income is not guaranteed as that of the Emerald Dragon, because I can't breed my Air Force which takes up habitat space which will become more difficult to come by as we get a larger number of animals.

Although I am doing well at the moment, which class will I end up in? Thanks Sand, for setting me straight on this before I led too many people down the wrong path.

zenobia42
09-10-14, 03:29 PM
I am still unhappy with this built in class stratification between the haves and the have nots. I am a lucky oddity, hanging by myself with my Air Force, somewhere between the two classes of players. Again, Sand you will need to help me out with this, but it seems to me that as this game matures, there will be an inevitable widening between the Haves and Have Nots because there doesn't seem to be a built in cost of living raise. In fact we have the opposite when wages were spread among 15 from 10 levels. It seems to me that as time passes, those who do eventually get their Gemstones, which I believe most will if they continue to try, but the gap between the affordability of items increases with each addition, in other words it costs more each time to expand, but those who are Haves will be able to make the income and keep up with the game, while the distance between those at the leading edge of the game and those who take a week or more to earn the million $ to expand a block seems like it would grow bigger with every new and more expensive addition to the game.

So, does anyone see this happening, or am I worrying about something that isn't going to happen? If it does though, does anyone have advice for those who feel they are being left behind? Because while now I am sort of hanging out here alone, all it will take is a requirement to breed anything with an Emerald Dragon to get the next new hybrids, and I will plummet back to the Have Nots overnight. My income is not guaranteed as that of the Emerald Dragon, because I can't breed my Air Force which takes up habitat space which will become more difficult to come by as we get a larger number of animals.

It probably goes without saying, since I've said it before, but yes, I have been worried about the widening of the income gap since the day they put up the Emerald blocker. As those with a gemstone army get those critters to level 15, the rest of us, even if we can expand to 31 large habitats and keep replacing a common/rare with a super once or twice a week... and start getting all ours to level 15 too, albiet much more slowly, the gap just keeps getting wider and wider. I just do not think it is possible for ANYONE, short of spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars, to EVER come close to the elite in the long run... the elite that the game made by making unicorns and emeralds very easy, then exceptionally difficult to get. The ONLY way this can change is if they a) make new animals with income in a tier that currently only the ultra rares make, and make them as easy for anyone to get as it was for the early lucky ones to get those multiple unicorns and emeralds [not gonna happen - the sphinx seems more difficult to get than any other super rare, and while better income than any other non-ultra, it only makes 35% the income of a unicorn, at level 15]; b) they make the unicorn and emerald easier to get again [not gonna happen]; or c) they seriously nerf the income from the ultra rares. The way they nerfed the income on ALL animals when they changed the level cap from 10 to 15. If none of those things happens, it's like, "why bother trying when you know you will never rise to the top of the FFS ladder without spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars, simply because you were not lucky early on?"

redfoxytail
09-10-14, 04:13 PM
Lee,

By no means are you a beginner or an under achiever. Despite having some ultra rares, when I visited your island I was super jealous of your Pegasus Airforce and Sphinx, which for the life of me I couldn't breed. (My latest attempt got me the much hated ferret lol).

I started playing this game when most people were already level 20+. I spent hrs on strategy, calculating habitat efficiency and creature earning rates. I fed my creatures to a good food to earning ratio, focused on increasing habitats then upgrading them for higher capacity ones.

You can either chose to focus your time on the haves vs have nots debate or you can see that your island is already doing exceptionally well and focus on being king of a number of areas: earning capacity, unique animals, expansion, higher evolutions, best island layout etc.

E.g. I've been focusing on increasing earning rates & upgrading habitat capacity. Now I'm shifting focus to get more unique animals.

Final thing, your Storm Sphinx is the highest earning super rare creature in the game at 1/3 the earning capability of a Uni/emerald and probably costs a lot less in food.

You are in a great position.

kooky panda
09-10-14, 05:31 PM
Hey guys, please keep your posts and comments on the topic of the Storm Sphynx. There are other threads where you can discuss the emerald dragon and other breeding topics.

Thanks!

Crr008
09-10-14, 06:35 PM
I'm still kind of new to the TL breeding thing so be patient with me... I'm confused. Crossing Eagle Beagle with another Eagle Beagle does not result in an Eagle Beagle? How is the Storm Sphinx derived from that?

zenobia42
09-10-14, 06:52 PM
I'm still kind of new to the TL breeding thing so be patient with me... I'm confused. Crossing Eagle Beagle with another Eagle Beagle does not result in an Eagle Beagle? How is the Storm Sphinx derived from that?

The way breeding in FFS works is this: it is like a melting pot. If you put in any 2-4 elements, it picks any 2 of them (no matter which animal they came from) and produces an animal with those 2 elements. That animal may be ANY animal with those two elements, though odds are very good it will be a common, and the odds are very low it will be a super rare. And if there are 4 elements in there, there is a teeny weeenie tiny chance you will get a unicorn.

ETA: Hope my attempt as actually being concise for once was understandable. :)

Crr008
09-10-14, 07:55 PM
Thanks, Zenobia. So breeding 2 Eagle Beagles could be any of those three Electric-Nature Combos; most likely the Thunderhawk but a small chance of Storm. Got it. :D

So far no luck on this super rare beauty. I'll take a short break from my long fail times and work on some others I don't have.

Splashy81
09-10-14, 09:35 PM
Woohoo for my first try of getting 21hrs in the den now, breeding using daredevil and planther.

I tried this combo with my L/15 Daredevil & L/10 Planther & got an Ox, not too bad! Thanks for the tip!

zenobia42
09-10-14, 09:40 PM
I tried this combo with my L/15 Daredevil & L/10 Planther & got an Ox, not too bad! Thanks for the tip!

Ooh, I'd love an ox - good for you!

Zummat
09-11-14, 03:57 AM
Got this one just staying with basics - Lightning Leopard/Pandaffodil. I got Storm Sphinx this way. No luck on Eagle Beagle so far.

Good luck everyone!

cquinn32
09-11-14, 05:11 AM
Can't believe I bred turtisle/fire glider trying for unicorn and got another 21hr timer!! How lucky is that... I'll take it!!

55lee55
09-11-14, 06:43 AM
Lee,

By no means are you a beginner or an under achiever. Despite having some ultra rares, when I visited your island I was super jealous of your Pegasus Airforce and Sphinx, which for the life of me I couldn't breed. (My latest attempt got me the much hated ferret lol).

I started playing this game when most people were already level 20+. I spent hrs on strategy, calculating habitat efficiency and creature earning rates. I fed my creatures to a good food to earning ratio, focused on increasing habitats then upgrading them for higher capacity ones.

You can either chose to focus your time on the haves vs have nots debate or you can see that your island is already doing exceptionally well and focus on being king of a number of areas: earning capacity, unique animals, expansion, higher evolutions, best island layout etc.

E.g. I've been focusing on increasing earning rates & upgrading habitat capacity. Now I'm shifting focus to get more unique animals.

Final thing, your Storm Sphinx is the highest earning super rare creature in the game at 1/3 the earning capability of a Uni/emerald and probably costs a lot less in food.

You are in a great position.

Oh, I am in a great position redfoxytail! But I have no idea how this breeding thing works. I don't play DS, and have asked Sand to explain the breeding thing to me and finally gave up on understanding and simply followed Sand's instructions. My method of breeding has nothing to do with calculating earning rates or such because to me that is a language I don't speak. I concentrate on what I do best, which is redecorate my Forest and collect often so that I can keep expanding. Oh, and I spend money.

I am still asking questions similar to those asked below by Crr008. It worked for me, but until I read zenobia's melting pot explanation, I had no idea how breading two Beagles resulted in a Sphinx. I am a copycat! I wouldn't know where to start doing as you did to figure out which habitats to buy. I bought the cheapest, for the most part, then tried to make things fit :)

I leave the earnings calculations to the experts and take advice from those who do understand such things ;)

But I agree I am not an underachiever! I just don't do the calculations. I asked Sand what I needed to breed, which ones to keep, and then I spent a day and a gift card and my good luck breeding Pegs. It wasn't until I had eight of them that Sand explained to me what I had, and I was All right! Awesome! But I didn't plan it that way.

This is why I am so nervous about the widening between the haves and have nots and was hoping the Sphinx was easier to get than the Emerald, which I still don't have, or the Unicorn, that despite uncounted four element breedings I have bred exactly one and consider myself very lucky!

I didn't realize that the Sphinx was that difficult to get, but after reading Sand's explanation it is true that the fails are less varied than in trying for a Unicorn, but in my case luck seems to be the ruling factor along with Sand's advice to keep the Peg fails.

I am still uncertain how I feel about the Sphinx, maybe because it is not as big an earner compared to the Pegs as I had hoped, but it still seems that people are breeding them. I guess that was what I saw as the best aspect of Sphinxi. Some people are at least able to add one to their stable.

I still am relying on the advice of experts. I appreciate that others ask questions before I manage to get to them or I would be asking them all!

I am happy that the critters I find most attractive, the winged ones, are among the highest earners. I have a hard time breeding the land based ones. While others were trying for their Unicorns, I was still looking for my first Plantler along with my Unicorn. Others had whole Forests full of them.

I am happy that TL is increasing the number of animals, and I love the Sphinx. I have given up pipe dreams of an army of them. I think that now that I have reached the max on habitats, I will just sit back and enjoy playing with the awesome group I do have :D

Congratulations to all who are getting the Sphinx!

SANDSCApe
09-11-14, 09:42 AM
Just to clarify, the "elites" to which I was referring were families of animals; not players. Ultras are in a class by themselves, and outside that class, Electric super-rares are the new elite, just a cut above the Dark supers.

This is why Storm Sphinx is such a big deal. It is the highest earning non-Gem animal. Moreover, since the Electric element is just beginning to develop hybrids, it has the fewest number of possible fails using two elements, compared to breeding other super-rares with a 2-element combo.

Highest earning super with fewest number of different fails? Why - it's hotter than a fresh baked potato! But while there are only 2 possible fails, there are an almost unlimited number of times you can roll one of those fails. So yes, most players will have a hard time with the Sphinx, but I think it SHOULD be that way.

Nearly everybody will get more Thunderhawks than they want or need. A good many should finally get the Beagle if they are persistent or lucky enough. But if just as many players fail to breed Sphinx as those who bag the Sphinx, I think that's the kind of "balance" TL is aiming for. That's the way the odds are slanted, but the beauty of probability is that it leaves room (even the tiniest chink of a chance) for a whole world of unpredictable possibility... and madness!

I probably won't breed a Storm Sphinx anytime this year. But when my 5th Thunderhawk hatches about 8 hours from now and I put my 6th Thunderhawk egg on the nest, then throw the same breeding pair back into the Garden, well... it's probably gonna be another 16-hour dance but then again, IT MAY NOT!

SANDSCApe
09-11-14, 10:23 AM
Just a breeding note to those who are unclear about it, breeding works by pooling the elements of both parents. The resulting offspring will be either a single-element animal or a hybrid -- a breed that draws from the pool.

If the pool has at least 2 distinct elements, a hybrid or composite (like Skyger) will result, if such exists. If no such hybrid exists, a single-element animal will result - a copy of one parent.

So if your pool has only Electric and Nature (from pairs like Leopard-Panda, Thunderhawk-Panda, Thunderhawk-Beagle, Leopard-Thunderhawk, Beagle-Beagle, Sphinx-Leopard...) the result MUST be an Electric-Nature hybrid. WHICH Electric-Nature you get is purely a matter of chance, and it does NOT matter which two animals you use to create the Electric-Nature pool.

Add elements to the pool, and you'll add possibilities to the outcomes. E.g., Thunderhawk-Pony or Glider-Thunderhawk will create a pool of Electric-Nature-Fire. You will get a hybrid that shares two of those elements. ANY two: Electric-Nature, Electric-Fire, or Nature-Fire. You will NOT get Leopard, Panda or Pony. Yes, you can get Storm Sphinx from that; or Fairy Ferret. LOL

Note that this outline of breeding rules is focused on the likely combos for Storm Sphinx and other Electric-Nature hybrids. It does NOT cover the unique behavior of the Gem element or other breeding peculiarities.

55lee55
09-11-14, 02:09 PM
I still don't understand breeding, sorry. So it doesn't make any difference about the rarity of the hybrids themselves that are bred? It just breaks down to the component elements and recombines them according to the rarity assigned to such combinations by TL? It makes no difference what level the animals are or which are chosen first? The only reason to use low level animals for breeding stock is to leave the high earning levels in the habitat, right?

I am still not understanding how an Emerald can be bred. I follow your instructions and was extremely lucky to get so many Pegs from the breeding, but since I have at least one of every animal but the elusive Emerald Dragon, am I correct that unless I want a lot of long rate fails in the hope of continued luck to get Pegs, I am better once or twice a day tying up my Unicorn and breeding it directly with the Panda, sort of like buying a lottery ticket once a week, not expecting to win, but using the if you don't play you can't win attitude?

But for the Sphinx, is it really special enough to be Elite and Sand, I am dense, I know, but I don't understand the Elite branding you have given the Sphinx. It is good that it is somewhat higher earning than other hybrids, but is the increase really significant? The earning is not something like double all other Hybrids as I was hoping when I got my egg early. To me that would have made it super special. It is not earning as I was hoping, say twice what my Pegs earn.

So Sand, could you explain to me (yes I know I ask two or three times to get it, sorry) what makes the Sphinx Elite? Is it the slightly higher earning than the Pegs and the Ox? Or is there something special in the breeding that sets it to breed with future Elites that will produce a different group of hybrids? Sorry, I think I may still not understand this breeding thing. I may always need instructions to breed X with Y to eventually get Z with Q as a possible good fail.

But Sand I see plenty of people with a Sphinx already, many more than the number who got the Unicorn or the Emerald once the glitches were fixed by TL. Are you giving up already? I got Thunderhawks, but I got Beagles and even sold some before I got my Sphinx egg. I know you do the calculations I can't do, but are the chances of getting the Sphinx really that low? You have the high earners. Is that why you don't expect to get the Sphinx until next year, because you don't choose to try because you don't need to? Or is it because the odds are so low you aren't going to bother? Sorry for asking what to most people must sound like stupid questions, but I don't understand where the Sphinx fits in the scheme of the animals we have so far.

Is your Elite branding based on today's calculations, or is it something you expect to see in the future, a group of animals in a different class, the Elite, than the Elements and the Jewel based animals? Sorry for asking several different ways, but I am trying to get my mind around this adorable new animal, and where it fits in the what to me is magic of breeding.

Will the Sphinx be a special animal to breed with? It seems that it shouldn't, but then lots of things seem one way to me and they turn out to be different. I won't have a better chance of getting an Emerald if I breed the Sphinx with my Unicorn, right? But will I have a better chance if I mate my Unicorn and Panda maybe twice a day for a year to get my Emerald? Advice? Sorry for being so dense.

I still like the Sphinx. Does anyone have any ideas of what to expect next? More Electric Hybrids? Or is the Sphinx the top of the heap?

zenobia42
09-11-14, 02:40 PM
I still like the Sphinx. Does anyone have any ideas of what to expect next? More Electric Hybrids? Or is the Sphinx the top of the heap?

On 8/28 they released the electric and the 2 electric-fire hybrids (common & rare)
On 9/5, the electric-nature common & rares, followed by this super-rare sphinx on 9/9.
Going by that pattern, they'll release 3 electric-something else hybrids in the next week -2 or 3 tomorrow and maybe 1 later. I'm guessing earth since it was the third element (with fire and nature) available from the start of the game.
But it may be 4 next week, since I expect they will add a super rare electric-fire soon as well. With the same earnings as the sphinx.

At some point they said one new animal a week.
Clearly it is 3 per week. A rate that almost only those not trying for the unicorn and/or with (nearly) completed albums will be able to keep up with.

SANDSCApe
09-11-14, 04:03 PM
Lee, let me try to answer a few of those questions.

Yes, what makes the Sphinx elite is that it earns more than any non-Gem animal. Not a whole lot more, I guess. But more. We can expect that other Electric supers will earn the same as Sphinx.

Yes, since Emerald is your only missing animal, and your Peggies are making the dough, I think you should enter Panda and Unicorn in the Emerald lottery at least once every day, but preferably more often.

No, Sphinx will not be needed to breed anything special. Its breeding power is the same as a Beagle or Thunderhawk. So let it stay home.

My expectations of future Electric hybrids is as Zenobia described. They will keep adding new hybrids until there is at least one common, rare and super-rare Electric-Fire, Electric-Nature, Electric-Earth, Electric-Water, Electric-Dark, and maybe even an ultra-rare Gem-Electric eventually. We still only have one Gem hybrid, so I expect to see that element developed also, but much more slowly.

No, I haven't given up on breeding Sphinx. I'll be trying again in another hour. But it is only one of 13 breeds that I'm missing, so I may eventually switch to something else for a different flavor of failure. Pessimism leaves a lot of room for pleasant surprises. No worries. Just playing the game.

zenobia42
09-11-14, 05:58 PM
Personally, I would class the Sphinx with the super rare dark hybrids. Their max income of 1,808 is much, much closer to the 1,600 that is max for a Pegasus or other dark super, than it is to the 5,160 that level 15 ultra rares make. I don't see it's income as different enough to call it "elite" or a class above by any name. Something would have to make half what an ultra-rare does instead of 35% vs. 31% to be a significant enough difference in my book to call them elite or any other classification implying it is significantly higher than the dark supers. JMO.

SANDSCApe
09-11-14, 06:39 PM
16 hours again. Here comes another Thunderhawk. This time I abandoned the Emerald-Leopard combo I've been breeding with for nearly 2 weeks, and went with Thunderhawk-Leopard instead. Same stupid fail.

I'm beginning to make sense of Thunderhawk's name. You get so many of them as fails, it sounds like a THUNDERING herd of ostriches! After this, one more try at Storm Sphinx. Maybe the new animal tomorrow will be less stubborn.

Drachenia
09-11-14, 08:07 PM
I have 11 Thunderhawk behind the other, that's not normal breeding with Pandazette / Lightning Leopard and Thunderhawk / Lightning Leopard

riddledom
09-11-14, 08:41 PM
To stay on topic first: was anyone else anoyed that the Sphynx was released after the Beagle and the Hawk? I happened to be lucky and got the two common and rare ones before the Sphynx was released. Then I thought, I would rather have tried for all three at the same time, than have one Super rare "left over".

flowless
09-12-14, 01:31 AM
Ahhhhhhh
That's all i need to say about this .

SANDSCApe
09-12-14, 11:41 AM
To stay on topic first: was anyone else anoyed that the Sphynx was released after the Beagle and the Hawk? I happened to be lucky and got the two common and rare ones before the Sphynx was released. Then I thought, I would rather have tried for all three at the same time, than have one Super rare "left over".

Nope. Didn't care because all I kept getting was Thunderhawk for the past 6-7 days until a few minutes ago. I'll be nesting a Beagle egg sometime tomorrow. Yes, in theory, it seemed that having all 3 as potential outcomes was better than only the first two. But the persistence of the common breed made that irrelevant for me.

If anything the hypothetical promise of the super-rare Sphinx only heightened my frustration with every 16-hour breed I had to grind through. Like most supers, it seems to exist only to taunt me.

redfoxytail
09-12-14, 11:48 AM
@Riddledom - Yep got the ThunderHawk and the Beagle before the Sphinx was released and was super annoyed, especially since I've only been getting ThunderHawks since.

@Lee - Totally agreeing with SandSCApe, Sphinx is in high demand right now because it is the highest non gem earner and the green/electric combo only has Hawk and Beagle as possible fails. In theory it'll get a lot harder when as more electric creatures are released, especially if you add fire and other elements to the mix. However some ppl will get lucky as well and get it in a few tries.

As for breeding, I'll use a hypothetical example to explain. Say you breed panda x leopard together. You might get 70% chance of ThunderHawk, 25% of Eagle Beagle and 5% chance of Storm Sphinx. You might get any of these creatures per breeding but you have a much higher chance of getting a common. (BTW I made up those %, I've not idea what % they use for Sphinx - feels like 0.1% lol)

I took a break from Sphinx breeding and got another 9/10 hr breed which I already have - sigh.

Congrats to all who got the Sphinx :D

SANDSCApe
09-12-14, 11:53 AM
...Having said that, I think I'll wait for the Electric-Earth super to arrive Tuesday or Wednesday before I go driving myself nuts for Thunder Mammoth or Shock Fox. LOL
Maybe I'll give Storm Sphinx a few more attempts until then.

redfoxytail
09-12-14, 12:02 PM
Yeah my elec habitats are over capacity at the moment with Hawk fails trying to breed the Sphinx.

Wow would love a Thunder Mammoth and especially the Shock Fox. You should add it to Kooky's creature suggestion thread :)

One day I hope to breed a sphinx, especially since it looks so cool at lvl10 and lvl15.

SANDSCApe
09-12-14, 12:11 PM
Yeah my elec habitats are over capacity at the moment with Hawk fails trying to breed the Sphinx.

Wow would love a Thunder Mammoth and especially the Shock Fox. You should add it to Kooky's creature suggestion thread :)

One day I hope to breed a sphinx, especially since it looks so cool at lvl10 and lvl15.

LOL. No need to suggest them. Go breed Leopard-Rhino now if you want one. They released them just this past hour.

redfoxytail
09-12-14, 12:17 PM
Lol was just gonna edit that comment from my post. You're too quick for me sandscape.

Super excited as I wanted another fox but unfortunately I just started breeding an hr ago. Was thinking new creatures were due today.

flowless
09-12-14, 03:31 PM
I can't take it anymore
The long 16+17 hours fail time over and over again

No it doesn't make me wanna spend gems speeding
Cuz that would be a lot

Is it time to give up
Or continue
Even unicorn was less annoying at least something's different with each fail

zenobia42
09-12-14, 04:24 PM
I can't take it anymore
The long 16+17 hours fail time over and over again

No it doesn't make me wanna spend gems speeding
Cuz that would be a lot

Is it time to give up
Or continue
Even unicorn was less annoying at least something's different with each fail
If you have room for another unicorn, might I suggest breeding for one with electric and nature as two of the elements? Then you have a chance for the sphinx AND a chance for another unicorn... and your fails may be long but, depending on your other 2 elements, may be short! Just a thought.

SANDSCApe
09-15-14, 12:30 PM
If you've been fortunate enough to breed an Electric Super, please take note of the earnings and food requirements at each level as you raise your animal. Please post these figures for our information.
If you don't have all the information, just give us what you have (but no need to repeat info from the album).

EviBrooklyn
09-15-14, 06:09 PM
If you've been fortunate enough to breed an Electric Super, please take note of the earnings and food requirements at each level as you raise your animal. Please post these figures for our information.
If you don't have all the information, just give us what you have (but no need to repeat info from the album).

Storm sphynx takes 1200x5 from level 9 to 10. I didn't keep track before that

bluefoxcrystal
09-18-14, 08:49 AM
I hope this helps with the sphynx money/foods

http://forums.storm8.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15589&d=1411055287 (http://forums.storm8.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15589&d=1411055287)

ArcadiaTofu
10-21-14, 10:51 AM
Yay! FINALLY!

This one was almost as elusive to me as the Cosmic Phoenix was when trying for breeding. In retrospect, it took less time to breed out a Lion and Hippogryph (managed to get them both within four days of them being released), but the Storm Sphinx has always been elusive to me---Thunderhawk fail after Thunderhawk fail (with maybe a few Eagle Beagle fails scattered about). Finally, though, last night I got her! It was a cruddy day, too, after losing 38 gems to the gem trap that is farming (20-hr rune prunes brutally nabbed my lovely gems).

Now, only two lightning supers left (Zapra and Terradactyl). Good luck, everyone! :)