PDA

View Full Version : How about a Chanukah quest?

GiselleX16
09-06-14, 11:41 AM
I'm sure the developers are already working hard on Christmas, but please spare a thought for Chanukah. :) There are so many possibilities - fry latkes in the kitchen, forge a menorah and ask neighbors for candles, play a dreidel game, and bring in a Maccabee for a joust for example. I can always hope...

gilachaya
09-06-14, 02:44 PM
I would love that!!!

CuteTali
09-06-14, 03:08 PM
It's Hanukkah btw and I would love that too!

zenobia42
09-06-14, 03:23 PM
What a great idea! And it could last 8 days, with a different mini-quest and prize each day!

GiselleX16
09-06-14, 04:32 PM
I think I've only run into one "device" game that recognized Chanukah and that one stopped updating a couple of years ago. The eight days of mini-quests is a great idea!

FYI "Chanukah" is the traditional spelling; I've been spelling it that way for my whole life as taught by my dad who was a Rabbi. ;) Per Time magazine,
Hanukkah. Or is it Chanukah? Or Hannukah? Sometimes getting the proper spelling of a Hebrew word transliterated into English gets tricky, especially when far more than a trio of options prove technically correct. But if you don?t fall into the Hebrew-scholar category, what should you do?

With so many ways to correctly get the point of Hanukkah across, the proper spelling really turns into a matter of preference and mass appeal. If you want to fit in with the crowd, opt for the Hanukkah spelling, now the most widely used of the choices.

However, don?t forget Chanukah, the second most often used spelling and the favorite of traditionalists. Just how did Hanukkah?s spelling become so popular and oust Chanukah atop the list? You can blame it on the ch sound being similar to the H sound, making Hanukkah a bit easier for English speakers to understand the pronunciation.

As little as about five years ago, the top spelling choice on the Internet was Chanukah. But times are changing, even in the way the Jewish holiday of lights is celebrated and understood, and the Hanukkah spelling has gone mainstream. So, if you like to slightly buck the trend and go old school, Chanukah is your spelling.

With both correct, and about 14 others technically correct too, rest assured that you?ve got a pretty good shot at getting the spelling right. Whether you?re in tune with the latest spelling trend will be an entirely different story.

Queenzod
09-06-14, 04:44 PM
I think I've only run into one "device" game that recognized Chanukah and that one stopped updating a couple of years ago. The eight days of mini-quests is a great idea!

FYI "Chanukah" is the traditional spelling; I've been spelling it that way for my whole life as taught by my dad who was a Rabbi. ;) Per Time magazine,

I would love to see an end of the year celebration that takes all the major holidays into account. Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule, Kwanzaa, etc. That would be fab! It could even be like St. Patricks day, where we find all kinds of trinkets and trade them for STUFF! Need stuff! :)

zenobia42
09-06-14, 05:18 PM
The only problem with this idea is the final (8th day) prize would likely be a dradle decoration... that is 5x5 squares. :p

(Hey, the giants who hang out in the 50' high pergola under the 80' festival spire need something to play with, right? Other than twirling the wizard school on their fingertips like a basketball.)

GiselleX16
09-06-14, 05:22 PM
In truth, Chanukah isn't that major of a holiday but I don't think a Yom Kippur quest would be much fun. Change the cathedral into a synagogue and spend the whole day there? And don't go near the kitchen...

gilachaya
09-06-14, 06:03 PM
Too funny!!!

In truth, Chanukah isn't that major of a holiday but I don't think a Yom Kippur quest would be much fun. Change the cathedral into a synagogue and spend the whole day there? And don't go near the kitchen...

zenobia42
09-06-14, 07:07 PM

LMAO! Yeah, Yom Kippur would not be a "fun" holiday to have a quest based on. Though it would be really funny if they didn't say anything, but on that day if you tried to collect anything from the kitchen, Old Thomas says, "Tisk, tisk" in Yiddish and won't let you have it until the holiday is over. And changing the cathedral into a synagogue for the day - that's so clever! They could model it after the really cool one on the corner of 55th and Lex in Manhattan. I used to work near there and see it every day and thought it was the most fanciful synagogue I'd ever seen. It would look perfect in our king/queendoms!

http://www.earthdocumentary.com/pics/central-synagogue_new-york-city.jpg

CuteTali
09-06-14, 08:45 PM

Nope. Chanukah makes a "Ch" sound like chips or change, but since it's pronounced with an "H" like hot or heavy, it's spelled Hanukkah :)

GiselleX16
09-06-14, 08:47 PM
Of course none of us who observe Yom Kippur will turn on our devices that day, right? :o

Now Passover, that would make a great quest! Collect all the items for the seder table: Eggs, check. Shankbone, from lamb, check. Salt water, from a special well, check. Matzoh - from flour and water, cook flat, check. Grow a nut tree, mix with apple, charoseth - check. Four glasses of wine - hmm, maybe one of those arbors has a grape vine? Bitter herbs? I'm sure they must be growing in Greselda's garden. Find haggadahs at the library - check. Gefilte fish - need you ask? Matzoh ball soup - the kitchen is used to soup. We can use the faeries' tea party table for the seder. And we could all go on an afikomen hunt!

Castle Story is totally ready for Passover! Maybe the moderators should delete my post so they can keep it secret until next spring. :D

CuteTali
09-06-14, 08:52 PM
Of course none of us who observe Yom Kippur will turn on our devices that day, right? :o

Now Passover, that would make a great quest! Collect all the items for the seder table: Eggs, check. Shankbone, from lamb, check. Salt water, from a special well, check. Matzoh - from flour and water, cook flat, check. Grow a nut tree, mix with apple, charoseth - check. Four glasses of wine - hmm, maybe one of those arbors has a grape vine? Bitter herbs? I'm sure they must be growing in Greselda's garden. Find haggadahs at the library - check. Gefilte fish - need you ask? Matzoh ball soup - the kitchen is used to soup. We can use the faeries' tea party table for the seder. And we could all go on an afikomen hunt!

Yes! Passover is one of the biggest Jewish holidays, far bigger than Hanukkah. It should totally be featured in CS, Bakery and Restaurant. I actually wrote some ideas for it on this thread: http://www.forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?66856-Variety-of-holiday-recipes

GiselleX16
09-06-14, 09:16 PM
Since the "Ch" in Chanukah is from the Hebrew letter chet, there is no equivalent letter in English. For the benefit of non-Hebrew speakers, it's the same sound as the end of the German Bach or the Scottish loch, or the Yiddish chutzpah. The truly accurate pronunciation is not with an "H" sound, and it is completely OK to spell it starting with "Ch". Are you saying Adam Sandler is wrong? :eek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chanukah_Song There are different preferred spellings, but at least a dozen or more acceptable spellings. As the rabbis say, the only correct spelling would be in Hebrew.

kudukuda
09-07-14, 03:00 AM
The matzah would need to be ready in 18 minutes or it goes bad in the kitchen.
Also, i like the idea of a chanukah quest, battles could be included too. Have thurston dress up as a maccabi.... Yay!!!

CuteTali
09-08-14, 11:28 AM
Since the "Ch" in Chanukah is from the Hebrew letter chet, there is no equivalent letter in English. For the benefit of non-Hebrew speakers, it's the same sound as the end of the German Bach or the Scottish loch, or the Yiddish chutzpah. The truly accurate pronunciation is not with an "H" sound, and it is completely OK to spell it starting with "Ch". Are you saying Adam Sandler is wrong? :eek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chanukah_Song There are different preferred spellings, but at least a dozen or more acceptable spellings. As the rabbis say, the only correct spelling would be in Hebrew.

Yes, of course he's wrong :)