PDA

View Full Version : What's your worst gem-investment?

EBJW
08-25-14, 03:44 AM
What's your worst gem-investment?
I don't mean the gem traps, we've all had those, unfortunately....

I want to know:
what item or animal that can only be bought by gems (or been given as a present by the knights, sir P. and so on) disappoints you the most?

For me it's the white cow. It costs 40 gems. I have 2 of them grazing, for a very long time now. When I collect from cows, I always collect them first. Description says they have a small chance for rare drops.
Well, I think very very rare is better... In all this time I have received 1 rare drop, and I can't even remember what it was, so it was no woohaaa gift.
And besides that those white cows can only be collected every 60 minutes, and a regular cow every 10.

I'm so glad I didn't buy them myself! They were a gift; and the third white cow I received, well, I put him directly in store....

Liloze
08-25-14, 07:41 AM

I want to know:
what item or animal that can only be bought by gems (or been given as a present by the knights, sir P. and so on) disappoints you the most?

For me it's the white cow. It costs 40 gems. I have 2 of them grazing, for a very long time now. When I collect from cows, I always collect them first. Description says they have a small chance for rare drops.
Well, I think very very rare is better... In all this time I have received 1 rare drop, and I can't even remember what it was, so it was no woohaaa gift.
And besides that those white cows can only be collected every 60 minutes, and a regular cow every 10.

I'm so glad I didn't buy them myself! They were a gift; and the third white cow I received, well, I put him directly in store....

Lol Yeah got 7 of those white cows from adventures, but my worst investment was the Magic Fruit tree, Though I admit I knew beforehand it was a bad decision to buy it, but I really liked the tree lol.

PurpleScorpion76
08-25-14, 08:09 AM
How can the magic fruit tree be a bad investment? They go towards energy boost?

brandonu
08-25-14, 11:03 AM
How can the magic fruit tree be a bad investment? They go towards energy boost?

You spend more energy collecting strawberries/glimmerbulbs then you receive back. It's not a bad thing necessarily, if you still need expansion permits.

zenobia42
08-25-14, 11:07 AM
The Fish Market. Now they made it so they drop fish sandwiches as well. But I can't use fish sandwiches yet. It spends a LOT more time in storage than out. And even when it is out, I hardly collect from it.

vizbiz11
08-25-14, 11:23 AM
I agree with the fish market. I pulled mine out of storage when it was announced that it would drop fish sandwiches, but I haven't gotten one yet. Usually just get a fish or two and 35 coins. Bummer.

Anaboe
08-25-14, 02:39 PM
Don't have a fish-market, but my worst buy is the harvest-pergola. Every 16 hours it drops 2-3 of the folowing items: flour, grits, bread. Didn't drop neerhing more usefull, so it's definately not worth the gems.

Wish I had save them, by now I could have bought a Mythril-dragon.

vednir
08-25-14, 03:42 PM
Harvest pergola can drop complete feasts so it's hardly a bad investment. Same with the fish market, low chance of dropping a fish sandwich but still worth the energy in my opinion. The magic fruit tree has gotten slightly less relevant now that other faerie items beyond the magic garden can drop the fruit. Before the faerie story line you were limited to 1 magic fruit per day.

Squidlish
08-25-14, 07:20 PM

I want to know:

You know what - excellent point about the white cow.
I had never really thought about it before - but it is true, longer re-gen time, and I find drops fertilizer with less consistency than my dappled cows.
And i am always maxed on prime-cuts anyway. I think I am going to swap them out for some regular heffers!

My worst gem-purchase though would be fish-shack.
Very quickly got maxed on butter-fish and cat-fish, now it lives permanently in storage.
If I knew fish-sandwhiches were more than just rare drops I would probably pull it out, but for now I'm managing fine without it.

EBJW
08-25-14, 10:56 PM
You know what - excellent point about the white cow.
I had never really thought about it before - but it is true, longer re-gen time, and I find drops fertilizer with less consistency than my dappled cows.
And i am always maxed on prime-cuts anyway. I think I am going to swap them out for some regular heffers!

My worst gem-purchase though would be fish-shack.

That makes it even worse: my white cows just give me milk, most of the time only 1 milk.... If they would give me prime cuts and fertilizer I would be happier, but....

The fishmarket: I recognize it. Like Liloze I already doubted the buy, and indeed, I hardly collect for I have plenty of fishes, but I liked the building as soon as I saw it, just had to have it (LOL I don't even like fish, can't endure the smell and taste!). So no bad investment for me.

rosewaterlily
08-26-14, 01:01 AM
Royal manor. It's huge and I never collect from it anymore and the design doesn't match anything else. Just keep it around for royal points I don't really need since I'm close to 6000. Don't really collect from magic fruit tree or living wood tree but I keep them around for insurance in case we have any quests that need a lot of magic fruit or living wood.

jbfps116
08-26-14, 05:31 AM
I've spent over 1000 gems already, many gotten from free missions, and except for some nasty gem traps, all the items I bought I appreciate.. I do agree the white cow is not worth 40, but other than that, I only buy nice items! (not the royal manor and fish market)
for my next buy? I'm probably going to save up for any limited time items, ... thinking about the others... harvest pergola is not bad if it can drop feasts... is the kingdom inn any value?or the stable?

freesiawoods
08-26-14, 09:00 AM
I thought the worst gem purchase was the fortune teller's tent, which gave nothing of value until the unintentional old log loophole made it so useful. Still I dislike the building and the idea of fortune telling in my kingdom.

shambalaya
08-26-14, 09:31 AM
The fish market... I'm constantly maxed on catfish and butterfish and it's not worth it for me for the cooked fish items. I wish it would drop more regul?r fish, which I need for the exchange!

Rockylandia
08-26-14, 11:38 AM
I've spent over 1000 gems already, many gotten from free missions, and except for some nasty gem traps, all the items I bought I appreciate.. I do agree the white cow is not worth 40, but other than that, I only buy nice items! (not the royal manor and fish market)
for my next buy? I'm probably going to save up for any limited time items, ... thinking about the others... harvest pergola is not bad if it can drop feasts... is the kingdom inn any value?or the stable?
Kingdom Inn drops one, or occasionally two, earth wisps per day. Reindeer stable drops ice cream, sugar, or fur but is huge and the reindeer is the size of a house.

forkyfork99
08-26-14, 01:54 PM
I thought the worst gem purchase was the fortune teller's tent, which gave nothing of value until the unintentional old log loophole made it so useful. Still I dislike the building and the idea of fortune telling in my kingdom.

I actually just got a fortune teller's tent to add some new quests to my game.

What's this old log loophole you speak of?

Queenzod
08-26-14, 02:40 PM
I actually just got a fortune teller's tent to add some new quests to my game.

What's this old log loophole you speak of?

Go to the listing of all the fortunes, and it's in the last batch of fortunes. You get a never ending supply of glimmerbits for chopping old logs. The catch is you can't completely chop a log or the fortune stops. So, you buy old logs, take a couple of chops out of them and repeat ad infinitum. It really helps you crank thru Sister, sister. The last fortune is similar, in that you get a superglue for every chop on a small rock pile. Just don't space out and finish the old log or the rock pile!

PurpleScorpion76
08-26-14, 03:09 PM
I haven't got to this part of the game yet but I wondered I'm guessing people max on the glimmerbits and shards?!? Then after finishing sister sister then chop the old log once and for good then move on to the next fortune? Guessing there is a fortune after this?

Sorry should have asked this on another post I got carried away with what this thread was about.

EBJW
08-26-14, 09:50 PM
I haven't got to this part of the game yet but I wondered I'm guessing people max on the glimmerbits and shards?!? Then after finishing sister sister then chop the old log once and for good then move on to the next fortune? Guessing there is a fortune after this?
Sorry should have asked this on another post I got carried away with what this thread was about.

Here's a list of the fortunes: http://forum.storm8.com/showthread.php?57458-Update-8-23-2013-Fortune-Teller

I'm at the Glimmer Rock right now, and I love it, cause I have so much trouble making enough plants/the right plants for 'sister, sister'.

Glimmer Rock: you must chop an old log, it will give you glimmer fragments and shards.After you've chopped it three times this quest is done.
So the trick is: buy a new log. Chop it twice, NOT a third time. Sell it after chopping twice. Buy a new log. Chop it twice, and so on.

I'm on it right now, and I'm trying to keep it as long as I can as extra resource for glimmer fragments (my rate shards-fragments is ridiculous) even after 'sister, sister'.

Chaotarch
08-27-14, 01:21 AM
royal manor. bought 2 and sold them later at lv 7.
fish market. have 1, but still collecting, but dont invest for the 2.
magic fruittree. stored cuz maxed out...

wouldnt buy the fortuneteller...dont agree with the pergola have 2 and they drop for me useful things.

Jennerwein1
08-27-14, 02:54 AM
Here's a list of the fortunes: http://forum.storm8.com/showthread.php?57458-Update-8-23-2013-Fortune-Teller

I'm at the Glimmer Rock right now, and I love it, cause I have so much trouble making enough plants/the right plants for 'sister, sister'.

Glimmer Rock: you must chop an old log, it will give you glimmer fragments and shards.After you've chopped it three times this quest is done.
So the trick is: buy a new log. Chop it twice, NOT a third time. Sell it after chopping twice. Buy a new log. Chop it twice, and so on.

I'm on it right now, and I'm trying to keep it as long as I can as extra resource for glimmer fragments (my rate shards-fragments is ridiculous) even after 'sister, sister'.
Thank you! This helps!

stuffedmounts
08-27-14, 11:51 AM
I actually don't think I've made a bad gem investment. I've bought all the resource-giving items and they come in handy when needed. When I'm maxed out or simply don't need those resources, I still enjoy them as decorations.

The only gem sore spot for me is the G.D. gemtraps. But then who here hasn't felt furious over those? Judging by the countless pleas to add a gem spend confirmation dialog like so many other games have, not many of us haven't felt that rage before.

Liloze
08-28-14, 06:52 AM
You spend more energy collecting strawberries/glimmerbulbs then you receive back. It's not a bad thing necessarily, if you still need expansion permits.

You are absolutely right, I couldn't agree more! I am fully expanded, except for one square to keep making the expansion permit, but I never use the Strawberry/ Glimmerbulb Energy trade!
It is ridiculous really and not worth it, usually I do the Milk / eggs trade and Fish/ Bacon and roast for energy. :) Thus the Magic Fruit tree is working as decoration now lol.

Storenkaos
08-28-14, 03:46 PM
Worst gem investment. Just got gem trapped into buying 13 wisp lanterns while checking out places to expand. Sent in a ticket and they said sorry, nope, no refunds on it. That was a lot of gems.
Not happy.

zenobia42
08-28-14, 04:25 PM
Worst gem investment. Just got gem trapped into buying 13 wisp lanterns while checking out places to expand. Sent in a ticket and they said sorry, nope, no refunds on it. That was a lot of gems.
Not happy.

Ouch. That REALLY sucks. I didn't even look at the question that way. I guess if you count gem traps, and TL's stubborn refusal to do the right thing by it's paying customers and stop stealing our gems that way, we pretty much ALL would count our worst gem trap fallen into as our worst gem investment. Mine cost me 453 gems. To speed up my alicorn by 6 days. If I really needed energy that badly, by using the gem energy refill option, I'd have gotten 30 energy for the relatively cheap price of 50 gems. But I didn't even need the energy or consider paying 453 gems for it. I simply wanted to collect from Sir Piggy who was next to my alicorn at the time. I will never understand why the company thinks it's in their best interest to piss off paying customers into no longer continuing to give them money, which they had been doing on about a weekly basis, rather than do the right thing and refund them what they clearly did not authorize be taken, nor rectify it so that no longer happens to anyone else. I just don't get that. At all. I used to buy at least a few gems nearly every time there was a gem sale. Because that is the frugal thing to do... except when you take gem traps into account. Now, no WAY am I going to build up a good supply of gems with real money. ONLY by completing quests to play other TL games. Speaking of which, I probably have another energy or two in the cupcake game to try to get to level 54!

EBJW
08-28-14, 10:26 PM
Ouch. That REALLY sucks. I didn't even look at the question that way.

Yeah, those gem-traps are so..... vicious.......!
That's why I started out: we've ALL been tricked in those, that's why I wanted to know sec the 'other' side of gem-using :o !

(by the way, those gem-traps is the main reason I refuse to pay for this game, although I really love it)

jbfps116
08-29-14, 04:37 AM
One "solution" is that you could only buy gems when you plan on using them and use them up immediately.

EBJW
08-29-14, 05:49 AM
One "solution" is that you could only buy gems when you plan on using them and use them up immediately.

Yes, good tip! But I have some odd principles ;) (with your solution I can spend them as I want indeed, but there's still the problem of lost gems in the past and future, and of many other players, so....)

zenobia42
08-29-14, 09:00 AM

I HAD been trying to be frugal about the whole thing. Buy during sales only. If they didn't have these horrible gem traps, that would be the best solution, and what I'd still be doing.

But now I just don't buy them. I get them through the play other TL games quests. With the gem traps in place, it's like buying and ice cream cone, then the guy who sold it to tilts the cone so the ice cream falls on the ground, and hands you the empty cone saying, "sorry - you can buy another cone though, if you want!"

Yahya08
08-30-14, 12:42 AM
Decorations

add me: Yahya08

katbtodd
09-04-14, 08:44 AM
We all struggle , then they come out with something that helps.. Like the mermaid pond, after awhile we are max, Mithril dragon ,, max there too living tree almost maxed ,and the fish market maxed on cat fish, but if they didn't come out with these items we wouldn't be max,, and when it comes to up date day we have a full stock of stuff,, I just don't tap on the items once, I'm maxed except,dragon cuz that can give you other stuff too,like gems,energy,armor ect.... I bought an extra pink Ali and that one that keeps on giving, I just so wish for those of you that don't have the love shack ,they would bring it out for all,

MadameCholette
12-13-14, 12:25 PM
:rolleyes: oh well, probably the fish market. I 'fell' into a gem trap today which luckly cost me 'only' 48 gems. I had saved up 270 thinking of buying the barraks. But as the most adventures only drop thing I hardly need, I went for a second wizzard school.

piperonline
12-13-14, 05:49 PM
:rolleyes: oh well, probably the fish market. I 'fell' into a gem trap today which luckly cost me 'only' 48 gems. I had saved up 270 thinking of buying the barraks. But as the most adventures only drop thing I hardly need, I went for a second wizzard school.

I agree with all of the Royal Manor posts... I never use it. I adore my harvest pergola and my reindeer for the food drops! I thought I might regret the magic fruit tree, but it is very pretty. :)