PDA

View Full Version : The new icon is going to drive away male players!

Pages : [1] 2

mcwrapper
07-29-14, 07:16 PM
With the new update we got a VERY girly my little pony type icon.

What does a pink pony have to do with a castle story?! Please change it back now. I already get []from my girlfriend for playing this game. She is going to have a field day with the new icon. I am begging you!!

Edit(KP):

Hey folks, just want to chime in here. The icon change is just that - a new icon.

I just want to reassure you that the content of the game isn't changing - we're going to continue on the exact same way we have for the last 2 years. We're still going to update the game weekly, we're still going to have the same stories and humor and gameplay :) Our audience is still the same - all of you, who played the game, loved it, and have continued to support us over months (and years!).

Hahaha, unfortunately I can't do that. I did however talk to the folks in charge of this and while I can't guarantee anything, I'd like to urge everyone to be patient and give us a few weeks, your feedback is being heard loud and clear and I'm really hoping we can come up with a good compromise. It does take time to change these things so nothing is instant, but hang tight, and thanks for letting us know how you feel.

If you give us another couple weeks, these issues should be fixed. We're hearing the feedback and are working as fast as we can. Hope you can give us another chance.

The festival is on for 17 days, and I'm really hoping we'll be able to get a different icon before it ends. However, I can't promise anything at this time because a lot of this is outside my control.

lonerlexie
07-29-14, 07:22 PM
The new icon is weird. It does not represent the game at all. Now it looks like a game for little girls. I hope this is a joke.

Beleriand
07-29-14, 07:24 PM
I like the old castle better too. The pony looks like something my daughter would play.

fluffybutter007
07-29-14, 07:26 PM
I'm kinda expecting a pink unicorn with flowers flowing in its' mane for the next update now. :/ I'm a girl, but I don't do pink so I fill your guys pain. Lol

I don't understand how the new icon represents the game though.

Liloze
07-29-14, 07:30 PM
I would like TL to revert back to the old Icon of CS. this new one, I just saw, gives no idea at all about the game, ( even with the castle in the background) !
You'd think it is Petshop story, or Dragon or "Alicorn Story" or one of those games with animals in them!
I am disappointed that TL takes the time to change an Icon, while players have pages upon pages of suggestions!
If it isn't broken don't fix it!
Just giving my humble opinion on this new Icon, I used to have CS all by itself, on my home screen, now I will put it in other games file !
Very disappointed!

PS. I am a female, Idon't do pink either, and this new Icon might drive away female players as well !

dng1234
07-29-14, 07:35 PM
I already get []from my girlfriend for playing this game. She is going to have a field day with the new icon.

My husband doesn't understand why I play games like this either. I just keep telling him that I like having a little virtual corner of the world that's mine to control how ever I want.

I noticed the change too and thought my iPad was acting up. The only guess I have is that it's a secret clue about an upcoming update. The game is called Castle Story and the old icon was more than adequate. Maybe they'll change it back.

mcwrapper
07-29-14, 07:35 PM
I'm kinda expecting a pink unicorn with flowers flowing in its' mane for the next update now. :/ I'm a girl, but I don't do pink so I fill your guys pain. Lol

I don't understand how the new icon represents the game though.

Even if they add a pink pony to the character roster it's still not what the game represents. They are obviously doing this to pander to the my little pony fan base and that really sucks. It's dishonest thing for them to do as it gives a wrong impression of the game.

lonerlexie
07-29-14, 07:39 PM
I would like TL to revert back the old Icon of CS. this new one, I just saw, gives no idea at all about the game, ( even with the castle in the background) !
You'd think it is Petshop story, or Dragon or "Alicorn Story" or all those games with animals in them!
I am disappointed that TL takes the time to change an Icon, while players have pages upon pages of suggestion!
If it isn't broken don't fix it.
Just giving my humble opinion on this new Icon, I used to have CS all by itself, on my home screen, now I will put it in other games file !
Very Disappointed!
PS. I am a female, and this new Icon might drive away female players as well !

I plan hiding this icon as we'll. I'm too old for this icon.

zuma022
07-29-14, 07:43 PM
Add me to the 'change it back' crowd too. That little unicorn thing makes it look like a game for 5 year old girls. I don't want that on my phone.

fluffybutter007
07-29-14, 07:45 PM
Even if they add a pink pony to the character roster it's still not what the game represents. They are obviously doing this to pander to the my little pony fan base and that really sucks. It's dishonest thing for them to do as it gives a wrong impression of the game.

Lol I was being sarcastic about the pink unicorn update btw. ;)

mcwrapper
07-29-14, 07:51 PM
Lol I was being sarcastic about the pink unicorn update btw. ;)

Oh. :)

They better add a pink unicorn. Or there is no reason for the icon. I would be okay with it. However I do not want it to be the icon. I get enough when the valentines day icon changes pink but this is out of line.

roguebee
07-29-14, 08:04 PM
I want to know how to turn off the music when it first loads! I much prefer the quiet, no noise of the previous version. And the icon has to go!

Guardian452
07-29-14, 08:10 PM
I'm in the "hate the new icon" crowd. Worse is the music that plays when you load the game. It's both annoying and, like the icon, makes the app feel like its intended audience is pre-teen girls.

jimboser
07-29-14, 08:33 PM
I'm only days away from giving this game up if the icon doesn't change back. Doesn't represent the game at all.

:mad:

vednir
07-29-14, 08:52 PM
It appears the female dev team is in the process of dismantling the game their male predecessors created and in the process driving away any prospective new male players. If the rest of the TL developers are paying attention, attempting to alienate a major part of your player base is not a good way to drive up revenue. What's wrong with having a CASTLE represent a game called Castle Story?

vednir
07-29-14, 08:56 PM
For those who missed this year's valentine's update there was a limited time quest to get a pink alicorn. That quest can no longer be started so any new players that expect that they'd be able to get the character on the new icon are going to find out they've been bait and switched rather rudely.

CrazyLadyIL
07-29-14, 08:56 PM
The new icon is horrible! It's just embarrassing to have on my screen. What were they thinking with a pink unicorn? It looks like it is a game for 12 year olds!

fluffybutter007
07-29-14, 09:01 PM
For those who missed this year's valentine's update there was a limited time quest to get a pink alicorn. That quest can no longer be started so any new players that expect that they'd be able to get the character on the new icon are going to find out they've been bait and switched rather rudely.

I don't think the unicorn on the icon is the same as the v-day alicorn. The horns are different colors. I'm thinking this is a new animal (yet to be introduced), but it's weird to have it on the icon nonetheless.

mcwrapper
07-29-14, 09:10 PM
I don't think the unicorn on the icon is the same as the v-day alicorn. The horns are different colors. I'm thinking this is a new animal (yet to be introduced), but it's weird to have it on the icon nonetheless.

I agree it's a different animal. BTW I love the pink alicorn. 24 hour recharge with the possibility of 100 energy! At worst it's an extra 5 energy or so.

jptheripper
07-29-14, 09:10 PM
agreed. awful.

Sorcha_Sarama
07-29-14, 09:12 PM
WOW - that pink unicorn is juvenile and hideous. Add me to the change it back side. Immediately.

olcastle
07-29-14, 09:15 PM
At least please don't force us to update, TL! I want to stay away from this new icon as long as possible.
The classic icon is PERFECT!

mcwrapper
07-29-14, 09:22 PM
Anyone else find it weird that the devolopers have not weighed in on this issue. They are usually pretty quick to answer questions or concerns. They are being oddly silent. On this issue it's been 100% in agreement that it's a huge blunder.

Maybe they realized they made a mistake and are talking about how to fix it. Or maybe they are retooling the game to be called "Pink Unicorn Adventures". It's the only thing I can imagine is going on.

fluffybutter007
07-29-14, 09:49 PM
Anyone else find it weird that the devolopers have not weighed in on this issue. They are usually pretty quick to answer questions or concerns. They are being oddly silent. On this issue it's been 100% in agreement that it's a huge blunder.

Maybe they realized they made a mistake and are talking about how to fix it. Or maybe they are retooling the game to be called "Pink Unicorn Adventures". It's the only thing I can imagine is going on.

This thread was started after business hours. I don't expect the devs to be hanging around the forum when they have families or other personal affairs to attend to. They'll see the posts tomorrow and hopefully weigh in then.

vontalken
07-29-14, 09:50 PM
Wow! That icon is total sh..ame. I saw it on the update and turned off the updates real fast. That is worse that anything so far bar none. Did someone mistake this for that fantasy forest/dragon story release?

Edit.
O dear sweet heaven I'm to late. Time to bury it in the 3rd page of a grouping.

The word of the day is Cloying.

Cissigal
07-29-14, 10:05 PM
Well I'm a female player & I don't like the new icon AT ALL!! Please change it back!!!

MrMisty83
07-29-14, 11:01 PM
Even the My Little Pony app icon isn't this stereotypically girly, it's beyond juvenile it's infantile. I guess the developers forgot that when you start the game you can chose between playing as a male or female. It's so off putting that I cringe every time I see it. I suggest going back to the old icon or giving us an updated version of the classic castle just lose the pink unicorn.

analine
07-29-14, 11:20 PM
I find the game icon to be very similar to another castle named app: Castleville. In fact I loaded up the update request and was thinking it was for the Castleville game and it turned out to be the Castle Story app that got updated. The blast of of weird music was not appreciated.

I agree completely! I do understand maybe the devs are trying to get fans of tht game to try castle story and realize that our game is so much better but still, I hope the new icon isn't staying for too long.

Maybe if the old icon is getting outdated, the castle could be modernized or something? Or at least if you want a unicorn, get the alicorn, not the pink one. I would suggest changing the screenshots for the details on the app store too. The old screenshots aren't as attractive as the ones from similar castle role-playing app out there.

zenobia42
07-29-14, 11:26 PM
I agree it's a different animal. BTW I love the pink alicorn. 24 hour recharge with the possibility of 100 energy! At worst it's an extra 5 energy or so.

Slightly off-subject, but does anyone know if there is ever going to be another chance to get anything even half as awesome as that? I have to say after playing this game 3-4 months, it's very disappointing to STILL not have any chance to get anything like that. It's like if you start after VD you're never going to be as cool as those who started before it. Which sounds so high school lol. Or with the new game icon, the game is more PRE-SCHOOL. Ugh!

For the record, I actually like pink. Just not pink ponies. Or anything else that looks like something a 2-year old would drag around a stuffed animal toy of because their parents are trying to over-feminize her. This icon looks like a game that a little pageant girl would play between getting her bootie taped to her bathing suit for the pageant, and learning that a single tiny roll of fat on their body will mean they are a failure at being a woman... when they are still a child.

If the devs would rather replace us with children, fine, we'll go. That's the clear message that new icon is sending. Just remember we are the ones with credit cards. And anything that looks infantile like that, on the one hand offends us that we are treated as children and on the other hand, as many have already said, makes up too embarrassed to play the game anywhere it can be seen or heard. In general, a game we are proud to play on, say, the subway, causes people sitting next to you to ask what it's about and the name so they can buy it. (Has happened to me often that someone wants to buy a good game they see me play and I'm always happy to share what I love about the game.) But if someone saw me click that icon to play, in all honestly, I'm being totally serious here, they would think I'm headed to some sort of adult special education class.

There are ways to attract a younger, more female client base that do not also turn off, well everyone else but them. and half of them too, if they are young goth or sporty or musical or a myriad of other kids. Girls like lots of things that don't turn away boys and anyone over the age of like 10. Surely the devs can hone in on that. Please. Or yeah, if I'm too embarrassed to play it in public, I stop playing it. Along with what it seems like a whole lot of the folks here.

EBJW
07-29-14, 11:31 PM
I agree:
please change it back !!!!

I want my castle back! I have a kingdom, not a (faerie) stable!

chezkaye13
07-29-14, 11:55 PM
Don't like new game icon! Please change back! Looks like some thing for a 3 year old!

midgetsocks
07-30-14, 12:12 AM
It's already a girly game so I don't think men already playing it are going to run for the hills en masse. Having said that..it's not my cuppa.

m1stery
07-30-14, 12:32 AM
I agree with everyone else!!!! Old icon wasn't all that special, but this new one is just obnoxious!!!!

Jir67
07-30-14, 12:47 AM
add me at the "old icon came back!" club...

PurpleScorpion76
07-30-14, 01:08 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking and was thinking I would post on the same subject but a whole host of people beat me to it! I was actually mortified when I saw this icon this morning thinking what on earth is this! And I'm a woman!

dragoniakingdom
07-30-14, 01:16 AM
Oh dear!

I have to agree with everyone here,that new icon does not represent Castle Story at all.

I have decided not to download the upgrade as I do not want that horrible "my little pony" icon.:(

ipaddolo
07-30-14, 01:34 AM
not upgrading either

r41pi
07-30-14, 01:34 AM
I thought it was a mistake. The icon is outright embarrassing. Please change it back.

KasiaH30
07-30-14, 02:27 AM
I like it and I like pink it only an icon so what's the big deal?

mcsyndrome
07-30-14, 04:03 AM
Looks like I'm going to hold off updating for as long as possible ...

To be honest I think this is a bad marketing move for TL. They should be aiming to attract older players who are willing and capable of paying for IAP's (like me, aha). Sure, the new design might attract induce some 12 year old girls to download the game, but that's hardly a profitably market.

That being said, I'm not going to stop playing CS. The game itself is still fun and captivating, even if the new icon makes me want to stab myself in the eyes.

seishy
07-30-14, 04:22 AM
i had to do a double take and wonder what the hell the new app was, then I realized it was castle story, Um, why is there a pony on the icon when the main character is a human? It really doesn't make sense or indicate at all what the game is about. If the main character was an animal, or if it was about raising animals, it'd make sense, but it's not.

Maybe it was an accident. The update mentioned bug fixes, maybe they didn't mean to change the icon?

PurpleScorpion76
07-30-14, 04:30 AM
Should we be grateful today isn't Thursday and therefore the new icon isn't this weeks update?

belbar22
07-30-14, 04:41 AM
I want to know how to turn off the music when it first loads! I much prefer the quiet, no noise of the previous version. And the icon has to go!

Me too. I often play this game surreptiously as my husband thinks I spend to long on it so having music come on at start up is a real problem for me as it makes it obvious what I am doing. Please stop the music at start up and I also hate the new icon. It makes the game look as though it is aimed at 5 year old girls.

TheBoulder2
07-30-14, 04:45 AM
Perhaps the new icon is temporary and is a clue for this week's update.

rosym47
07-30-14, 04:52 AM
Hate the new icon passionately. It is for little children, it's not cute, it's not representative of the game and the pony has nasty made up eyes. Yuk!

nessa005
07-30-14, 04:55 AM
I'm not up grading either. I disliked the My Little Ponies when they came on the market, and this reminds me of them!

paisdelasmaravillas
07-30-14, 05:03 AM
I don't like the new icon too
The new real decret are very bad. I don't the m?sica during the load time. I desactivate the music during the game play, befo re the last update there's no music in the load screen, now i have to listen the music but do not want.
Please change This fast!
What Other useless, ugly and painful changes do you do?

katbtodd
07-30-14, 05:09 AM
Me too. I often play this game surreptiously as my husband thinks I spend to long on it so having music come on at start up is a real problem for me as it makes it obvious what I am doing. Please stop the music at start up and I also hate the new icon. It makes the game look as though it is aimed at 5 year old girls.

Just before getting in the game turn down or mute your phone or iPad ,, that would solve your problem there, and once you get into the game go into setting and turn off your sound effects and music ,,,

zoeee87
07-30-14, 05:10 AM
Not a fan at all...

roguebee
07-30-14, 05:12 AM
Should we be grateful today isn't Thursday and therefore the new icon isn't this weeks update?

What a depressing thought!

perry5
07-30-14, 05:28 AM
I totally agree on this! Pink unicorn with a flower mane has nothing to do with this game's story line. I will not update until absolutely forced and in the meantime will hope that TL comes to their senses and brings back the castle, or some version of it...don't want to look at that My Pretty Pony knock-off every day on my ipad!

Jir67
07-30-14, 05:39 AM
I did't noted the music when the game is loading!!!!
pls change this!

perry5
07-30-14, 05:44 AM
I did't noted the music when the game is loading!!!!
pls change this!
Yes! Another reason to avoid this update. I like the lack of music on the Current CS...one of the few games that didn't force me to mute my iPad before playing! Why do developers always assume that awful music enhances our gaming experience? They should take a poll about how many play with volume on vs. muted! I have to believe no one listens to the music!

chibi531
07-30-14, 06:17 AM
Agreed with pretty much everyone here - the new icon is horrid, and completely unrepresentative of the game. Had I seen it originally I probably would not have downloaded the game. Change the icon if you want, but keep it representative of the game itself.

And the startup music that is forced on you, even with the sound fx and music muted is obnoxious. I don't need a blaring announcement to everyone in the house that I've just loaded your game.

NorthWoodsKingdom
07-30-14, 06:22 AM
Oh good lord!!! I hadn't even seen this new update icon until a nbor told me about it.
WHAT in the world...?!? My Little Pink Pony Explosion is now the game I'm playing? I don't think so. You can hardly even tell that vague shadow of a thing in the background is a ... (what game are we playing?)... CASTLE!
Maybe it's not that big of a deal in the whole scheme of things but c'mon, a carnival prize-looking stuffed pink unicorn... reeeeally??
I'm with perry5 & others on here - out of protest, I'm just not gonna download it; I don't care what bugs it fixes. I get enough flack from the hubby for playing this game as it is, don't need to give him more fuel for his fire.

Ps. Does Apple, Inc. use an ORANGE for their icon??? /point lol

berrigan17
07-30-14, 06:41 AM
Agree! That new icon is a shocker. I won't be downloading the update in a hurry. Have they got someone new heading the marketing strategy I wonder? I hope we're not going to lose all the things that have made Castle Story great fun: the humour, the art, the storylines. I've always appreciated the staffs' interaction here also. The latest design has been a bit naff and plastic-looking sadly.

chalupa2030
07-30-14, 06:52 AM
I kept thinking I would find someone that would say you all are trippin! Complaining about the game icon being a pony. Really?

The men I know would play and do play this game. They could care a less about the pony or what anyone would say in public:)

It might look infantile ~ but no more than the DS logo thingy that we see only seconds. Don't smack me, guys ~ but I don't get it.:p

NorthWoodsKingdom
07-30-14, 06:58 AM
I kept thinking I would find someone that would say you all are trippin! Complaining about the game icon being a pony. Really?

It might look infantile ~ but no more than the DS logo thingy that we see only seconds. Don't smack me, guys ~ but I don't get it.:p
But the Dragon Story logo icon is a DRAGON, not a ... Oh I don't know, eggplant or something else totally unrelated to the name of the game. LOL

berrigan17
07-30-14, 07:06 AM

I play two games on my phone. Castle Story which I've played since sometime in 2012 and another game from another company. Actually, I lie, at the moment I've also got the Dragon-story-with-ponies going just for gems. Although that will be deleted as soon as I've got all of them. So, three but not for long.

Castle Story has always been fun. There have been silly story lines, cultural references to pick up, and some really nice art work. I deleted it last year when it got a bit boring and nothing was happening, and then wondered if my kingdom was still there and reloaded it, that was just at the point that it went through a bit of creative growth and I've been a devoted player ever since. Maybe there are other games that have a similar vibe, but I haven't found them. I find all the other Whatever-Story games mind-numbing.

I think what I enjoy about Castle Story is the personality of it, and that comes through from the creators as well. I hope that they don't lose that.

The nauseating/very similar to another icon unicorn is so very generic. It makes me a little uneasy as to where the game is heading...

ETA: They should have more confidence in their game and not be trying to be like something else.

bawpotter
07-30-14, 07:11 AM
The icon is horrible. Why they'd change it, I truly don't know. I really hope that it is changed back.

Watch... next update you won't be able to create male characters.

enaid03
07-30-14, 07:12 AM
...plus it's a total rip-off on Castleville's logo icon ... Look at em side by side in your App Store, it's blatant!

Wow. It is. I had to look. Must say I like the trading with friends option that app offers. If TL wants to use a very similar icon, then why not also apply what others here have asked for the trading/selling aspect like FS2????

But, I'm not a fan of the new icon. It looks like something my 3 year old has on her iPad. If someone now sees my phone/iPad, I would be embarrassed to have such an immature icon visible.

chalupa2030
07-30-14, 07:16 AM
Oh no. You guys are gonna beat me up, huh? I understand your passion, I do. I did go look at the App Store and visited the poor pony in question. So....there are no pink ponies in CS? Is that the issue? I don't play often at all.

What was the icon before the pony takeover?

dragon2046
07-30-14, 07:18 AM
I'm a girl and totally think the icon is too girly and too childish. ! Give us back our castle after all it's "castle" story. :)

meme1098
07-30-14, 07:23 AM
Oh no. You guys are gonna beat me up, huh? I understand your passion, I do. I did go look at the App Store and visited the poor pony in question. So....there are no pink ponies in CS? Is that the issue? I don't play often at all.

It was a castle....hence, Castle Story. I'm really not sure why this app icon change was made. As said before, if you're trying to attract a younger audience how will you make money without the credit card option?

As for the sound, my iPad is on mute 95% of the time. Until FaceTime is in use and then it's muted again after that. The game music & sound effects have been turned off since day one. The music on any game is so obnoxious to me so my device is always muted.

Beleriand
07-30-14, 07:25 AM
Yes! Another reason to avoid this update. I like the lack of music on the Current CS...one of the few games that didn't force me to mute my iPad before playing! Why do developers always assume that awful music enhances our gaming experience? They should take a poll about how many play with volume on vs. muted! I have to believe no one listens to the music!

I mute the game because I find the music annoying....this is quite a blunder TL.

jimboser
07-30-14, 07:27 AM
I posted last night after I saw the update on my screen, going to follow up a bit more on what others are saying. I didn't like Dragon Story, I always found the icon annoying, and the gameplay wasn't interesting after getting the gems offered for reaching specific levels. Same with the new Forest Story whatever, it's just Dragon Story with new animals, it's gone as soon as I reach the goals for gems. I don't get into cute and fluffy.

Some have commented that you don't see the icon on your screen for long, so what's the deal. Well, I use my iPad a fair bit at work, I leave the screen on, and when I've got a pink pony icon on my screen (I know it's a unicorn, but you can't tell that unless you're up close), I'm going to get some strange looks here. Plus, it honestly turns my stomach. I don't want to click on it, I don't even want to look at it.

If the icon is a rip off of something else, that's news, but I never heard of Castleville before, but if this is what TL was going for, then that's just sad. This was really their best game, and they've cheapened it significantly here.

As for the music, I never have the volume up on my iPad, so it took me a minute to figure out the fuss here. I'm assuming the intro screen never had music before, and I agree that having music going while loading is pointless, and should certainly have a separate option to toggle on/off.

I NEVER listen to the game with the music on. I'm certainly not saying to get rid of it, but definitely have the option to turn it off.

leojsufur
07-30-14, 07:32 AM
I think what I enjoy about Castle Story is the personality of it, and that comes through from the creators as well. I hope that they don't lose that.

The nauseating/very similar to another icon unicorn is so very generic. It makes me a little uneasy as to where the game is heading...

ETA: They should have more confidence in their game and not be trying to be like something else.

My thoughts exactly!

BlueCanary
07-30-14, 07:36 AM
Its probably just a temporary icon for an event, since there is a big summer one coming up soon I believe. Dragon Story does that from time to time and then reverts back to the old one after the event is over. I don't mind the icon, most game icons are pretty silly and its whats inside the game that counts.

orleansparish
07-30-14, 07:44 AM
If you play this game because the icon seemed manly and now isn't, then you are a fool and no one will miss you. I mean really, who cares what it looks like? Are you so insecure in your manhood that the simple notion of a unicorn on your phone or pad makes you cringe? It's a game! It's still the same game after you have clicked the icon.

The only one who will suffer is TL, because a bunch of little girls will download this thinking its simple and going to be cute. The real money spenders will pass it up for similar games with normal icons. If so, let them figure out how to change it back and the reasons why. But the whole I'm going to quit, whining like a Baby...or...ahem..little girl is a bit over the top.

kooky panda
07-30-14, 07:50 AM

This thread was started over the weekend and most developers, CMs and Staff are off over the weekend.
I also was out of town this weekend, so I missed this thread.
I have moved the thread to the suggestion and feedback forum and I also have flagged this over to the community managers.

Please continue to post your constructive feedback about the new icon.

Thanks!

Please note, that a couple of posts have been removed that are attacking other members posts.

You can leave different feedback, but please do not attack another players comments.

chalupa2030
07-30-14, 07:50 AM
If you play this game because the icon seemed manly and now isn't, then you are a fool and no one will miss you. I mean really, who cares what it looks like? Are you so insecure in your manhood that the simple notion of a unicorn on your phone or pad makes you cringe? It's a game! It's still the same game after you have clicked the icon.

The only one who will suffer is TL, because a bunch of little girls will download this thinking its simple and going to be cute. The real money spenders will pass it up for similar games with normal icons. If so, let them figure out how to change it back and the reasons why. But the whole I'm going to quit, whining like a Baby...or...ahem..little girl is a bit over the top.

Well ~ you took the words right out of my mouth. I think I even read "this just turns my stomach". How do they handle real life if they start trippin over a game icon.

Enjoy the game inside, guys!

NorthWoodsKingdom
07-30-14, 08:20 AM
Ok, constructive feedback ... Thank-you for trying to fix any bugs that the game may be experiencing (although I have seen several nbors already complaining on their walls about now having MORE issues since downloading this new app update) but please keep an icon for a game called CASTLE STORY as a castle. Childlike, juvenile replacements of unrelated characters or images are not only misrepresentative of this game but are also misleading to new prospective players & confusing to your existing players. More importantly, please refrain from infringing on (& copying) the logo icon for any third party games which cannot be mentioned here. THAT is stooping to a new all-time low level & downright dirty.

vizbiz11
07-30-14, 08:30 AM
Team 8, the parent company of Castle Story, is a for profit business. That being said, I love this game. I play it daily. I don't do Starbucks. I rarely eat out. I've broken out my credit card many times to pay for gems and goodies because this is my ONLY financial splurge and I don't mind paying for a game I enjoy. This game is my treat to me and the designers deserve to be paid for their work.

Players who spend money on this game are the ones keeping TL in business. My concern is that since the icon looks like a very similar childrens app I have downloaded for my neice, she will click on the icon for CS instead. What that means for me? All my gems GONE because at four years old, she doesn't understand that these gems represent money. MY MONEY. TL does not replace gems if they are accidently used. As a matter of fact, a neighbor of mine lost quite a few gems and had to rebuild several buildings because her nephew sold them. That's time and effort that is wasted.

The new icon does not represent the sophistication of this game. This is a game of strategy, patience, luck, and perserverance. Pink unicorns just don't convey that to me. If this icon had been in place when I first downloaded the game then I wouldn't be playing it now.

jimboser
07-30-14, 08:40 AM
This thread was started over the weekend and most developers, CMs and Staff are off over the weekend.
I also was out of town this weekend, so I missed this thread.

Actually, this thread started Tuesday evening after the app update was pushed out, and presumably the devs were having family time, sleeping, etc. But hopefully, at some point during today's daylight hours when they are in the office, something may hopefully be said here to address this.

Corallines
07-30-14, 08:45 AM
One more vote for the old logo (or anything else). It will not change my habit of playing, I will not have sleepless nights, but the game icon will definitely stay on a separate menu page...

xhuxhmaxhuxh
07-30-14, 08:51 AM
I would also like to voice my deep hatred for the new icon. Hate hate hate. And I also hate this new thing where music plays while the game loads. Change it back!

ryusei745
07-30-14, 09:02 AM
There is one possibility I see for the icon to have changed this way:

The upcoming event is going to be heavily alicorn influenced. This is the more likely possibility I see.

The new icon is childish and I feel it is an extreme misrepresentation of the game. But I don't care. I still play the game and get made fun of by friends every now and then. Big deal. Dealt with that for 20 years I can take it.

rick1958
07-30-14, 09:17 AM
I would also like to voice my deep hatred for the new icon. Hate hate hate. And I also hate this new thing where music plays while the game loads. Change it back!

Agree on BOTH. I silence ALL my games so nobody knows when I am "playing" where it is not OK. Now I get to announce it to everybody....much less play time equals (something you'll understand) LESS REVENUE.....

cheryllemon
07-30-14, 09:31 AM
Hey guys.... Don't beat me up but I like the new icon. I know I shouldn't but it's pink and has a unicorn on it! Two things I really love and I'm well past my teenage years LOL!

ryusei745
07-30-14, 09:36 AM
Hey guys.... Don't beat me up but I like the new icon. I know I shouldn't but it's pink and has a unicorn on it! Two things I really love and I'm well past my teenage years LOL!

Alright people, grab your torches and pitchforks. Lol no I'm just kidding. That's good that there are people out there who like the new icon. I'd feel bad for TL if nobody liked their changes.

katbtodd
07-30-14, 09:44 AM
It says it was moved..moved where

NorthWoodsKingdom
07-30-14, 09:51 AM
It says it was moved..moved where
Suggestions & Feedback section

ginourmous
07-30-14, 10:00 AM
Well, my 3 years old grand-daughter just made my point... She took the iPad and said... Oh granny you have MY LITTLE PONEY GAME???? Not embarrassing at all in a crowded restaurant ;-)

It's CASTLE STORY, bring back the castle! Or tell us it's TEMPORARY and we will be getting a herd of ponies soon. Maybe with new ponies the knights can come back faster from adventures ;-)

Maybe we can also have a training center for the knights to learn that you bring BACK your swords from an adventure, don't leave them behind... I bet around my castle you will find thousands of swords all over the place ;-)

NorthWoodsKingdom
07-30-14, 10:20 AM

Old icon logo:

New icon logo:

I mean really, need anything else BE said about how much better the first one was?

...and I noticed on the update page it says 9+ right beside Castle Story TM... Has this game always presented itself as a fitting game for kids that young??? Who in their right mind thinks a 9 or 10 year old child has the patience for these quests!? Seriously? That *really* makes me laugh out loud ... LOL!

kooky panda
07-30-14, 10:24 AM
Team 8, the parent company of Castle Story, is a for profit business. That being said, I love this game. I play it daily. I don't do Starbucks. I rarely eat out. I've broken out my credit card many times to pay for gems and goodies because this is my ONLY financial splurge and I don't mind paying for a game I enjoy. This game is my treat to me and the designers deserve to be paid for their work.

Players who spend money on this game are the ones keeping TL in business. My concern is that since the icon looks like a very similar childrens app I have downloaded for my neice, she will click on the icon for CS instead. What that means for me? All my gems GONE because at four years old, she doesn't understand that these gems represent money. MY MONEY. TL does not replace gems if they are accidently used. As a matter of fact, a neighbor of mine lost quite a few gems and had to rebuild several buildings because her nephew sold them. That's time and effort that is wasted.

The new icon does not represent the sophistication of this game. This is a game of strategy, patience, luck, and perserverance. Pink unicorns just don't convey that to me. If this icon had been in place when I first downloaded the game then I wouldn't be playing it now.

I personally do not mind the new icon, but thanks Vizbiz for pointing out the fact that a lot of people will let young kids play on their devices, and this specific icon
does look like a game I would let my niece play on my iphone .
The kids will get into a game thinking it was one they were allowed to play.

kooky panda
07-30-14, 10:32 AM
Old icon logo:

New icon logo:

I mean really, need anything else BE said about how much better the first one was?

...and I noticed on the update page it says 9+ right beside Castle Story TM... Has this game always presented itself as a fitting game for kids that young??? Who in their right mind thinks a 9 or 10 year old child has the patience for these quests!? Seriously? That *really* makes me laugh out loud ... LOL!

Thank you for your question! Sorry, but users must be 13 years old or older to play. Users under the age of 18 must have their parent or guardian's permission to play.

You can view the Terms of Service here (http://storm8.com//terms).

A. Your Acceptance of the Terms of Use:
Please carefully read these Terms of Use, which affect your legal rights and obligations. By registering for an Account or otherwise using the Service, you represent that (1) you are age 13 or older, (2) you understand and agree to these Terms of Use, and (3) if you are between the ages of 13 and 18, your legal guardian has reviewed and agrees to these Terms of Use.

lisman
07-30-14, 10:35 AM
I understand all of you who don't like the new icon (me included) but it would not goten this big of a deal if the castle in the background was in forefront and the unicourn *cough cough* alcorn i mean was in the background of the castle. It could have worked then, as is stands now it doesn't

hannsoph
07-30-14, 10:40 AM
What new icon?

NorthWoodsKingdom
07-30-14, 10:40 AM
Thank you for your question! Sorry, but users must be 13 years old or older to play. Users under the age of 18 must have their parent or guardian's permission to play.

You can view the Terms of Service here (http://storm8.com//terms).

A. Your Acceptance of the Terms of Use:
Please carefully read these Terms of Use, which affect your legal rights and obligations. By registering for an Account or otherwise using the Service, you represent that (1) you are age 13 or older, (2) you understand and agree to these Terms of Use, and (3) if you are between the ages of 13 and 18, your legal guardian has reviewed and agrees to these Terms of Use.
Thanks for the info, kooky...but lol, methinks TL needs to review their own Terms of Use cuz it should say 13+ beside Castle Story TM... not some made-up (& again, misleading & misrepresentative) number of 9+ lol.

NorthWoodsKingdom
07-30-14, 10:49 AM
What new icon?
Um...scroll up to #83... I posted a pic of the old one & the new one lol

mariegoodley
07-30-14, 10:57 AM
my 3 yr old daughter picked up my phone and asked if I had put a new game on my phone for her (she has a few apps on my phone). I have to ask what were the designers thinking? I'm a girl I love pink and ponies but hate (with passion) this new icon? Please I beg you TL change the icon back !!! I will the other 98% of people on this issue the icon has made the game look tacky and cheap ... Not a good look :( disappointed with all involved with disision to change the icon ... If you want a new icon my 11yr old could create a better picture for game!!!

roguebee
07-30-14, 11:49 AM
Actually, looking for a bright side, I did learn how to mute the speaker on my iPhone this morning (something I had never had to know before).

PikaSquirrel
07-30-14, 11:53 AM
Thank you so much for your feedback on the new icon in Castle Story. Sorry to hear some of you aren't happy with the new icon. We have forwarded your feedback to the development team!

cowsonlake
07-30-14, 12:02 PM
I usually don't log on to see forum convos? but I must add myself to the list of players that does not care for the new icon. I barely notice the castle in the background, and even with it there it looks nothing like the game's castle(s). I thought there was a mistake or hacking that went on when I saw "Pinkie Pie's" (from My Little Pony) pic. The new pic doesn't do the game justice. Try again TL????. P-L-E-A-S-E:confused:

side note: I'm a level 50 and have been playing this game since Feb 2013.

youbugme
07-30-14, 12:03 PM
Thank you so much for your feedback on the new icon in Castle Story. Sorry to hear some of you aren't happy with the new icon. We have forwarded your feedback to the development team!

I'd go out on a limb and say that if you posted a poll on this question...you may get one or two that would like it. Out of how many players?
I vote to change it back.

zuma022
07-30-14, 12:13 PM
Thanks for acknowledging us, but I think you'd find it's more than 'some of you'.
I don't even want to look at it, I find it so offputting.

fluffybutter007
07-30-14, 12:18 PM
I've been playing CS since it's release. For the first time ever, CS is going into a folder instead of being displayed readily on my iPhone screen. Sorry, but my dignity is at stake here and CS shall now be hidden from sight.

PS: I've already posted my distaste for the new icon here, but it seems like it'll be glanced over by the devs since only a "few" people are unhappy about it. I think posting my distaste on this new update where it might actually matter is in the works.

CottageRose
07-30-14, 12:21 PM
I have both Castle Story and the "other" game on my iPad. After doing all of my app updates, I was greatly confused. I had two apps that appeared to be for the "other" game, and thought my CS app had disappeared. I really don't need the confusion of two separate app icons that look nearly identical. My first thought was that the new icon was a CGI or vector drawn image meant to replace the pixel based image - while thinking I preferred the more detailed pixel icon. They really are too similar, and will cause mass confusion.

Beyond that, I too want a Castle icon, not another unicorn in the herd. Still love CS and now hiding it in a misc. folder.

P.S. I always play with sound options off. Also vehemently dislike that we are forced to announce our games with intro music, annoying both family and the public.

paisdelasmaravillas
07-30-14, 12:41 PM
Don't forget the music in the load screen. Please.
If i turn off the music in game, i don't want music in load screen

Gr8ful1
07-30-14, 12:51 PM
I got a new iPad and when I "restored" the backup to the new one I saw this icon. I just thought it was a glitch. Then much to my dismay, not only did I have a pony for an icon but I LOST MY ENTIRE GAME AT LEVEL 36 & HUNDREDS OF GEMS!!! Now I shall go try to find how to fix that first. #help GR8FuL1 :confused:

kooky panda
07-30-14, 01:03 PM
This has been reported .

http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?71445-Start-up-music&p=939565&viewfull=1#post939565

justtex328
07-30-14, 01:09 PM
Add me to the crowd of those not in favor of the new icon. It is hideous! I thought maybe they had been hacked or it was a joke. They're serious about this being the new icon?? Horrid.

TheDiscoKitty
07-30-14, 01:18 PM

^This^.

Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to do this? It also does it for fantasy story, maybe for all lava games now? It's a horrible idea for those of us who stealth play. Please change it back.

OrangeSlice1
07-30-14, 01:24 PM
Add me to the list of those that hate the new icon. I just downloaded the update and as I watched it download in the app store I was really hoping that wasn't the new icon that would show up on my screen. To my disappointment, it was. I'm of the adult female persuasion and the girly-girl look of it is very irritating.

Meowmeowbeans
07-30-14, 01:35 PM
^This^.

Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to do this? It also does it for fantasy story, maybe for all lava games now? It's a horrible idea for those of us who stealth play. Please change it back.

We apologize for any inconvenience. This is an issue which we are aware of and we are currently investigating. You can view this thread for more information. (http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?71445-Start-up-music) Thanks for your patience!

clkbc
07-30-14, 01:41 PM
Add me to the list!! I want my "old" icon back please! I already posted to remove the start-up music.
What in the heck is going on TeamLava?

Liloze
07-30-14, 01:47 PM
I'd go out on a limb and say that if you posted a poll on this question...you may get one or two that would like it. Out of how many players?

There are 11 pages in this thread, until now.....
I really don't know how many posts each page has, but there are 106 posts.
with only one player liking it and 2 others who said it is no big deal !
These 11 pages ( 103 posts ) give an idea about how many players aren't liking the new Icon !
This whole thread is like the result of the poll lol

vednir
07-30-14, 02:08 PM
The silence is deafening. Within 24 hours the start-up music is being "investigated" but there's only been "feedback" sent to the dev team about the icon. That is usually double speak for a change you're supposed to enjoy and if not, too bad, they have plenty of player base left to suck money from.

DI3S3L
07-30-14, 02:11 PM
It's ghastly. All around. Icon and music.

youbugme
07-30-14, 02:13 PM
There are 11 pages in this thread, until now.....
I really don't know how many posts each page has, but there are 106 posts.
with only one player liking it and 2 others who said it is no big deal !
These 11 pages ( 103 posts ) give an idea about how many players aren't liking the new Icon !
This whole thread is like the result of the poll lol

Yup! You're spot on!

kooky panda
07-30-14, 02:31 PM
I got a new iPad and when I "restored" the backup to the new one I saw this icon. I just thought it was a glitch. Then much to my dismay, not only did I have a pony for an icon but I LOST MY ENTIRE GAME AT LEVEL 36 & HUNDREDS OF GEMS!!! Now I shall go try to find how to fix that first. #help GR8FuL1 :confused:
I will respond to your PM :)

perry5
07-30-14, 02:33 PM
Add me to the list of those that hate the new icon. I just downloaded the update and as I watched it download in the app store I was really hoping that wasn't the new icon that would show up on my screen. To my disappointment, it was. I'm of the adult female persuasion and the girly-girl look of it is very irritating.

A great idea! Always beneficial to survey your customers! And agree that even with multiple posters on this thread, the "anti new icon/music" folks FAR outnumber those in favor. Please, TL, listen to your fan base on this one!

Mylly2
07-30-14, 03:14 PM
I don't like the new icon either.
Maybe it was meant to be for Castle Story 2, a more fairy based game? TL have been making a few second versions of the games, maybe Castle Story is the next one?......

mrosmeows
07-30-14, 03:29 PM
I agree whoever is doing advertising for team lava should know better. I could care less about the icon looking stupid on my phone but this game is to advanced for small children. Adults aren't going to download something like this. People do judge a book by its cover. It's going to effect tls profits and eventually get shut down like some of their other games if they don't constantly have new players that need to buy gems. A lot of us older players have already sunk so much money into the game we could have an Xbox instead and can't invest anymore. It's a very bad move

Tastyfood134
07-30-14, 03:57 PM
Yesterday I responded to a survey that popped up on Dragon story concerning the app icon for a new game. The one I really disliked was a similar pink pony so imagine my dismay when that popped up as the new icon on my favorite game. I'm a female and I simple hate the new image. This game has attracted players mainly for it's social aspect. Most of those players are adult and even if they aren't posting on the forum they are dismayed at the new icon and you can read about it all over the walls. Please bring the old one back!

shawnamarie0509
07-30-14, 05:09 PM
I hate it too. So immature. This might be my last straw with this game, plus now it plays music every time I open it even though I have the game sound off! Definitely NOT what I want

fesxdgdgsgfb
07-30-14, 06:24 PM
I mistakenly thought the game was Fantasy Story when I first saw the new icon. Some of the new graphics seem to be a little less sophisticated and more similar to some of the other games, like Farm or Fantasy Story. I hope content doesn't follow suit. I enjoy this game so much. It's been incredibly interesting and I really love it, but I've never really been able to "get into" any of the others.

CottageRose
07-30-14, 06:28 PM
I am pleased to report that I was able to delete the updated CS app with the too sweet unicorn, and reinstall the previous version from my Time Machine backup. It's nice to not grit my teeth every time I see the app. :D

I can live with a few bugs if it means getting the previous app icon back. lol

AuntyRose32
07-30-14, 07:27 PM
Overwhelming response to this new icon, don't think you were expecting this TL...huh?

Yesterday my husband (who happens to be a lover of pink btw) was sitting next to me as I was playing my game and he noticed the new icon straight off, he plays no such games, so I thought it was quite observant of him and he just said, "well it's a little hard to miss and I was wondering why you would downloaded a 'My Little Pony' game until I noticed it was Castle Story" (I loved My Little Pony as a child, so he wouldn't completely put this past me!...lol) So there you have it TL, the colour didn't put him off, it's what caught his eye but he thought it was a kids game, which I don't think castle story is, so like an above poster said, the wrong people are going to be downloading this game now, kids....and the adults who are looking for something new to play will just skip over it because they think it's a kids game. I think you should return to the previous icon, it was a lot more representative of the game.

It's not a big issue but that's how much us CS addicts love the game, the attention to detail is great and because of this our attention to detail is great and we have pretty high standards but this was one detail that just wasn't going to fly under the radar.

oliverrr11
07-30-14, 09:24 PM
There is NO WAY I am putting that pink pony/unicorn thing on my phone. I refuse to update unless this is changed. A blank white box would be an improvement.
It seems that many who accidentally or auto updated are hiding your app in a triple password protected underground vault in a folder within a folder within a folder in the deepest recesses of their phones and iPads. Is this really what you want TL? I don't get it. Ever hear of out-of-sight, out-of-mind?

eicyarg
07-30-14, 09:31 PM
New icon----NO, NO, NO!!!

brdwybaby
07-30-14, 10:29 PM
New icon is awful. Too girly, and I'm as girly as they come. It also looks a lot cheaper than the old one. Generic. Enough said.

oliverrr11
07-30-14, 11:10 PM
TL, for additional feedback, these are my actual thoughts when finding out that your new icon suited for a preschool little girl game wasn't even your own. An almost exact duplicate of a competing game? Really?

This is what I think when I see that:

-You do not think your product is good enough to stand on it's own and to be original.
-You give me the impression that the other game is more successful than yours, because a more successful company does not try to imitate a lesser one
-Now I'm curious what the other one is all about since you are trying to be like them and I wonder if I have been playing a cheap knock-off the last few years? But I will not install theirs either because of the pink pony/unicorn icon
-You may be trying to trick new players looking for the other game into installing your app. But now that you made them look identical you risk losing your new players to them because the confusion will work both ways.

Very disappointed in all of this.

P.s. I am an adult male player.

brdwybaby
07-30-14, 11:12 PM
TL, for additional feedback, these are my actual thoughts when finding out that your new icon suited for a preschool little girl game wasn't even your own. An almost exact duplicate of a competing game? Really?

-You do not think your product is good enough to stand on it's own and to be original.
-You give me the impression that the other game is more successful than yours, because a more successful company does not try to imitate a lesser one
-Now I'm curious what the other one is all about since you are trying to be like them and I wonder if I have been playing a cheap knock-off the last few years? But I will not install theirs either because of the pink pony/unicorn icon
-You may be trying to trick new players looking for the other game into installing your app. But now that you made them look identical you risk losing your new players to them because the confusion will work both ways.

*applause*

berrigan17
07-30-14, 11:57 PM
I don't like the change in gameplay, however. It seems sort of fast and slippery. I don't like not being able to pick stuff up without being nervous where my character is going or what I'm tapping on underneath.
!

Hi. Just curious about what you mean here? Is this a change as a result of the update?

paisdelasmaravillas
07-31-14, 12:04 AM
Hi. Just curious about what you mean here? Is this a change as a result of the update?

http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?71459-When-collecting-items-it-taps-the-surrounding-items
I just read this thread and I totally identified with what is said

berrigan17
07-31-14, 12:19 AM
http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?71459-When-collecting-items-it-taps-the-surrounding-items
I just read this thread and I totally identified with what is said

Thanks for that. Interesting. I hardly ever read the bugs forums. Another reason for me not to download the update... :)

Queenzod
07-31-14, 12:33 AM

As far as I can tell it is! When you tap on a building and it spews out whatever you're collecting, you used to be able to tap on that pile of stuff to pick it up. Now, if you tap on it, you're actually tapping *through* the pile of stuff to whatever is underneath. This can move your avatar to that spot, or tap on an animal that's underneath/nearby, putting that item in the collection queue, even if you don't want to tap on that item yet. This is different than it used to be. It makes tapping very tricky! You could easily tap twice, thinking you're picking up spewed stuff and get a gem trap instead. It actually makes the game irritably unplayable and nerve-wracking. They have basically cancelled the ability to pick stuff up yourself. It's now better to wait for it to auto-collect. I hope I'm explaining this well enough. It's a weird thing.

Anyone else who has the update know what I'm talking about?

berrigan17
07-31-14, 12:38 AM
As far as I can tell it is! When you tap on a building and it spews out whatever you're collecting, you used to be able to tap on that pile of stuff to pick it up. Now, if you tap on it, you're actually tapping *through* the pile of stuff to whatever is underneath. This can move your avatar to that spot, or tap on an animal that's underneath/nearby, putting that item in the collection queue, even if you don't want to tap on that item yet. This is different than it used to be. It makes tapping very tricky! You could easily tap twice, thinking you're picking up spewed stuff and get a gem trap instead. It actually makes the game irritably unplayable and nerve-wracking. They have basically cancelled the ability to pick stuff up yourself. It's now better to wait for it to auto-collect. I hope I'm explaining this well enough. It's a weird thing.

Hm. Someone be meddling with our game! Where are Glimmergate and Aggwyn? I hope we haven't lost them.

ipaddolo
07-31-14, 12:43 AM
i dunno how much my feedback can be constructive if i say i hate the new icon and i dont want it :) the reasons are already been explained very well: too childish, too generic, but most important it doesnt match the personality and the style of Castle Story. I dont want to enter in the dangerous topic of feminine/masculine (tbh i dream of games with neutral colors, or better that every boy or girl could choose pink or blue or whatever color they like) but Castle Story icon was perfect: a castle, white/red/blue/green, cartoonish and pretty. There is NO REASON at all to change it. If it works, why to break it? i dont understand

anyway, im not going to update the game. ill keep it on the previous version, sparkling cellar included :)

paisdelasmaravillas
07-31-14, 01:20 AM
Conclusion: the last update only have problems, icon, music, tapping... How to quit it?
The problem is that I think that a new version with changes and corrections will take at least 2 or 3 weeks. surely have to include review time of Apple to include it in the app store :(

muffinnosnuthin
07-31-14, 01:22 AM
Bad pony! No!

ahomeforme
07-31-14, 02:27 AM
I'm a long time player too, since before valentine's version, and CS is always my #1 fav game, and yes I am also joining the rest in requesting for the old icon back.

brdwybaby
07-31-14, 02:49 AM
Bad pony! No!

Why does this make me giggle so?

Beleriand
07-31-14, 04:17 AM

This is exactly what I am experiencing and yes I agree it's "nerve racking". I'm not digging it. What's going on TL ?

paisdelasmaravillas
07-31-14, 04:27 AM
This is exactly what I am experiencing and yes I agree it's "nerve racking". I'm not digging it. What's going on TL ?

I read This in bugs section
I'm experiencing This also.

Sonflower77
07-31-14, 05:08 AM
Please return to the prior Castle icon. The icon is much too childlike. The vast majority of my neighbors are adults. The new icon will turn any New Adult Players away from the game. Thanks!

FigmentValley
07-31-14, 06:18 AM
I have continued through this game for several years -basically from the beginning. I have enjoyed the "story". The lack of goals, painfully slow story development and "make work" timed events have increasingly alienated me.

It seems like this game is taking a back seat to more lucrative TL games (DS) and is getting the short shrift. The only new goals are "make work" - a summer caravan designed to use up resources so we "get" to work at replenishment.

I have pretty much stopped visiting every day. Unless today's update has more story line and an interesting goal, the "pink unicorn" icon and lack of action is going to be the final nail in the coffin.

A few more hours will tell........

jptheripper
07-31-14, 06:25 AM
I have continued through this game for several years -basically from the beginning. I have enjoyed the "story". The lack of goals, painfully slow story development and "make work" timed events have increasingly alienated me.

It seems like this game is taking a back seat to more lucrative TL games (DS) and is getting the short shrift. The only new goals are "make work" - a summer caravan designed to use up resources so we "get" to work at replenishment.

I have pretty much stopped visiting every day. Unless today's update has more story line and an interesting goal, the "pink unicorn" icon and lack of action is going to be the final nail in the coffin.

A few more hours will tell........

I thoroughly disagree with this. While the last few weeks have been a summer break, this years updates (until the icon.. boo) have been amazing!
The story, buildings, dragons, have all been awesome. DS just pumps out new dragons with no where to put them.

I prefer CS by miles, but the new icon, i echo above "BAD PONY, NO"

robino23
07-31-14, 06:33 AM

Totally agree! Also, visiting neighbors has become very choppy. TL needs to take a poll! Please remove that annoying music at the start off. I've muted my games for a reason.

Liloze
07-31-14, 07:32 AM

Yes, you summed it up, I am experiencing the same annoying nerve wrecking glitches....Sigh... TL ...What have you done to my favorite game :( :'(

youbugme
07-31-14, 07:37 AM
Bad pony! No!

You almost made coffee come out my nose!
Hahahaha! Too funny!

vizbiz11
07-31-14, 08:05 AM
Bad pony! No!

+1 I laughed so hard I almost spit my coffee onto the computer screen! ;)

jaytrek25
07-31-14, 08:49 AM
This unicorn is quite embarrassing. And I will not spend another cent on this game until it is changed back or to something that has to do with a Castle.

mamareader02
07-31-14, 08:52 AM
I love my pink alicorn,but even I want it changed back

tuffyjkitten
07-31-14, 08:59 AM

YES!!! I thought I was going nuts when that happened. Trying to collect coins and all of a sudden chickens are spitting eggs at me and then when collecting the eggs random flowers start tossing petals. I ended up burning thru a bunch of energy that I didn't want to use in that area of my kingdom. That needs to be fixed ASAP.

The icon really looks childish. We were at dinner last night and a little girl at the next table had a pink pony toy and I thought, there's the new CS icon. :(

iAyun
07-31-14, 08:59 AM
+1 I laughed so hard I almost spit my coffee onto the computer screen! ;)

+1 too.. No one create the poll yet? Or the pony only for seasonal (temporary) icon?
I do not want to update yet.. But, if thursday (today) update (story line update) force me to update, I will have no choice... :(
For example: story line update will only appear to player who has already updated to the "pony story"..
Danggg!!!

Betsy0923
07-31-14, 09:01 AM
Yes - pls change the icon. It looks like a fairy princess game instead of a creative, simulation for serious (semi-serious??) gamers. Jk on the serious part, but pls give us our self-respect back.

PurpleScorpion76
07-31-14, 09:19 AM
They have to, people walk with their feet. An international auction site introduced an adaptation to their regular offer. They've brought back their original offer. They must have lost a lot of money in the 6 weeks that it wasn't on offer!

PikaSquirrel
07-31-14, 10:32 AM
YES!!! I thought I was going nuts when that happened. Trying to collect coins and all of a sudden chickens are spitting eggs at me and then when collecting the eggs random flowers start tossing petals. I ended up burning thru a bunch of energy that I didn't want to use in that area of my kingdom. That needs to be fixed ASAP.

The icon really looks childish. We were at dinner last night and a little girl at the next table had a pink pony toy and I thought, there's the new CS icon. :(

We're looking into this issue of the game collecting from uncollected items are you are trying to collect your item drops. You can follow it HERE (http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?71459-When-collecting-items-it-taps-the-surrounding-items&p=940107#post940107). In the meantime, you can let these drops collect itself instead of tapping to collect them to avoid also collecting from uncollected items you did not want to tap.

Nikospets
07-31-14, 10:57 AM
With the new update we got a VERY girly my little pony type icon.

What does a pink pony have to do with a castle story?! Please change it back now. I already get []from my girlfriend for playing this game. She is going to have a field day with the new icon. I am begging you!!

I agree, when I first saw it I thought my son had moved my icons around on my Ipad! I'm a mom and I don't like it at all. Can't imagine how a guy would feel!Yikes

jptheripper
07-31-14, 11:20 AM
Pika why did you deliberately ignore the feedback about the icon?

PikaSquirrel
07-31-14, 11:44 AM
Pika why did you deliberately ignore the feedback about the icon?

We're reading every single one of your feedback, your feedback are not going unheard. We are actively forwarding these feedback to the development team. If you have any additional feedback, please continue sending them our way.

oliverrr11
07-31-14, 11:46 AM
We're reading every single one of your feedback, your feedback are not going unheard. We are actively forwarding these feedback to the development team. If you have any additional feedback, please continue sending them our way.

Thank you!

zuma022
07-31-14, 11:53 AM
Well here's some more feedback. On my phone I have a folder with games I play occasionally and the 3 games I play daily are on the homepage. I hate the new icon with a passion and I don't want to look at it every time I look at my phone. So I put it in the folder and guess what? I forgot to check the game this morning before work. And I bet I'm not the only one. Out of sight, out of mind.

And just for the record I'm female and I like pink. I do not, however, care for a childish my little pony icon. It's not cute! It's ugly and embarrassing.

jodi0122
07-31-14, 12:14 PM
The new icon doesnt bother me as much as the music when I start up the game. I don't want everyone at work to wonder what I'm doing. I purposely have all sounds turned off in the game so this new music is awful. I have to keep my phone on silent. Please change that

M4dmuffin
07-31-14, 12:29 PM
I learn to start Castle Story with my eyes closed so I dont have to see this awful icon anymore!

NecroDee
07-31-14, 02:09 PM
New icon makes it look like I'm playing "My lil pony" and is definitely not a representation of Castle story.
My vote is an immediate revert back to the previous icon.

WindyBlu
07-31-14, 02:31 PM
I agree with everyone else. My granddaughter, 8, thought I had added a new game for her:(

PikaSquirrel
07-31-14, 03:00 PM
Hey Kings and Queens,

Once again we'd like to thank every single one of you for the feedback you have provided. With the new icon, we wanted to highlight one of our most popular Animals in the game, the Pink Alicorn. We understand it's a pretty big change, but we hope you all grow to love it!

With that said, please continue providing us with your invaluable feedback. We love how passionate everyone is about our game! :)

perry5
07-31-14, 03:05 PM

***Standing Ovation!***

vednir
07-31-14, 03:07 PM
Hey Kings and Queens,

Once again we'd like to thank every single one of you for the feedback you have provided. With the new icon, we wanted to highlight one of our most popular Animals in the game, the Pink Alicorn. We understand it's a pretty big change, but we hope you all grow to love it!

With that said, please continue providing us with your invaluable feedback. We love how passionate everyone is about our game! :)

In other words, it's here to stay. Instead of providing invaluable feedback I suggest people draw their own conclusions about whether to continue supporting the game with gems.

perry5
07-31-14, 03:09 PM
Hey Kings and Queens,

So does this basically mean that TL is effectively saying "so sad, too bad?" We see the 16+ pages of negative feedback but will simply choose to ignore it? Hmmmm...my many years of business consulting experience tells me this a questionable strategy my friends...

NorthWoodsKingdom
07-31-14, 03:17 PM
With the new icon, we wanted to highlight one of our most popular Animals in the game, the Pink Alicorn...... :)
Um, highlight an animal that was only available for a limited time and isn't even available in the market for the players that started after Valentine's Day (or may *start* playing as a result of the new icon, thinking they'll get one)???

...that doesn't really make sense & sounds like we have to like it or lump it. Hmphf.

gandalf72
07-31-14, 03:19 PM
Lol! It's gross! Get rid of it!

perry5
07-31-14, 03:20 PM
Um, highlight an animal that was only available for a limited time and isn't even available in the market for the players that started after Valentine's Day (or may *start* playing as a result of the new icon)???

...that doesn't really make sense & sounds like we have to like it or lump it. Hmphf.

Was thinking the same thing...how can a limited, one-time only animal be one of the most popular? And by whose determination? To quote one of my all-time favorite Monty python movies, "I didn't vote for 'im!" "Help, help...we're being repressed!"

triplescream
07-31-14, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=Meowmeowbeans;939825]We apologize for any inconvenience..../QUOTE]

We apoligize for any iconvenience!
Sorry I just had to... lol
And I will not learn to like that new icon.

jimboser
07-31-14, 03:25 PM

Not going to happen. I've just deleted Castle Story from my iPad.

So long, friends.

NorthWoodsKingdom
07-31-14, 03:39 PM
Was thinking the same thing...how can a limited, one-time only animal be one of the most popular? And by whose determination? To quote one of my all-time favorite Monty python movies, "I didn't vote for 'im!" "Help, help...we're being repressed!"
Exactly. ... Why not highlight the cow or chicken? I venture to guess one of THOSE is the most popular animal in the game..y'know, cuz EVERY player has several of each!

robino23
07-31-14, 03:46 PM
Hey Kings and Queens,

Yes, people are passionate about this game. This should be a good reason to listen to the people who pay the money to keep this game going. In your response to our passionate responses, you are basically saying "tough". I do appreciate the pink alicorn very much, but it is not my favorite animal in the kingdom. I would rather see Pepe than an icon that looks so much like another games icon.

Cyanafoxdragona8
07-31-14, 03:49 PM
This seems... sad. A pink pony for the Cover of the app? No Thank You. Please remove it Asap.

CottageRose
07-31-14, 03:54 PM
I heart Pepe and Sir Pigglesworth. :)

fluffybutter007
07-31-14, 03:59 PM
Hey Kings and Queens,

Seriously a limited time v-day animal is your most popular animal? Way to exclude new players and those who did not finish the goal. I don't mean to be rude, but the new icon animal is not the same animal that we have in game. They don't even look the same. Put me down for not upgrading to the new version (thank you time machine!). If I want a hideous My Little Pony icon on my phone, I'll go to the App Store and download one.

bernadette16668
07-31-14, 04:17 PM
I must first say I like unicorns I collect unicorns or I did years ago and I still have them in my living room, so no one would be shocked to see one on my screen but that being said , it's not a unicorn game . As for the update I don't recall installing it but I have the new icon and the tapping bug. I like the old icon better , not because I don't like unicorns but because, a castle is a better icon for the castle game.

jimboser
07-31-14, 04:29 PM
In case anyone remembers the final episode of MASH...

http://dc387.4shared.com/img/niGayZkSce/s7/1478ebe25e0/cs_bye.jpg

Questhaven
07-31-14, 04:35 PM
I am a girl. I am love ponies. I HATE the new icon. It's cheesy and embarrassing. Please change it back.
thank you.

NorthWoodsKingdom
07-31-14, 04:51 PM
This is the final thought I will share on the subject:

If the logo were an original design (or more importantly, an original THOUGHT of a design), I wouldn't like the response from TL but it wouldn't be unreasonable for TL to NOT listen to their paying customers and give the "you'll grow to like it" response. But that's not what this is. It is not only an issue of a juvenile pink unicorn to me.
It's much more an issue of ethics and it will be interesting to see how this plays out once TL is contacted by a third party game's lawyers...cuz that is exactly where this is headed.

Ps. Heartbreaking image, jimboser. Please reconsider leaving just yet.

lisman
07-31-14, 05:35 PM
Hey Kings and Queens,

Well .... that sucks

I have always compared castle story with other same like games and CS is always the best one by far that is out there, hopefully that will not change

shambalaya
07-31-14, 05:43 PM
Wheew! I'm so happy I don't have automatic updates! I decided to skip this one when I saw the icon...

caius76
07-31-14, 05:49 PM
Hate it. Come on, TL, listen to the 19 pages of your customers telling you it's awful and get rid of it

shambalaya
07-31-14, 05:51 PM
Hey Kings and Queens,

Totally does not make any sense. Like other players have mentioned, you want to highlight a time-limited and no longer available pink alicorn? The poor little girls who will download the game from now on will cry when they find out there is no way to get the pink pony! :(

mnjcafe
07-31-14, 07:48 PM
Incredibly disappointed in TeamLava. I thought they were better than this. I have no problem with the color pink, but the icon is ridiculous and has nothing to do with the game. Just awful.

sulu43
07-31-14, 10:05 PM
I'm voting against the pink pony and for a return to the original icon!

berrigan17
07-31-14, 10:56 PM
Hm. The pink alicorn as anyone’s favourite is questionable so I find that rationale a little off. I also find it hard to believe turning the icon into a shadow of another similar game's icon is a way of distinguishing the special qualities of Castle Story. And as I've said before, I think Castle Story has been kind of special.

My theory: I feel there has been a disturbance in the force at TL. Someone new in charge of this one with not much understanding (or affection) for this game but with a new strategy on how to monetize the thing. I am anticipating more changes in design as they head towards a less nuanced, more cartoony design style and a decline in the story quality. Hopefully I’m wrong*. Sorry to see you go jimboser, but I quite understand. I’m not sure if I’ll update it or not.

*I am, on occasion.

m1stery
08-01-14, 12:01 AM
Hey Kings and Queens,

So basically, in other words we are stuck with this hideous new icon and you have no intention of changing it. Thanks TL!!! :sarcasm:

zuma022
08-01-14, 12:15 AM
Yeah, seems to be like the gem confirmation thing. There could be 5000 pages of complaints. Someone decided it's more lucrative this way and that is what it is going to be. Very disappointing.

Jir67
08-01-14, 01:22 AM
Is it possible to come back to the old icon?
I dont upgraded the main folder in my Mac, so if I'll restore the game from the Mac I'll loose my progress or I have back the loved CASTLE icon???????

Beleriand
08-01-14, 01:49 AM
Hey Kings and Queens,

And yet it doesn't even look like the alicorn in the game? Am I missing something here? TL that reason just doesn't make sense...and yes we are passionate.....Passionately peeved off is more like it! I too just downloaded the other game and started playing.....is that your ultimate goal? I'm not liking the changes that are happening in the game lately.

hlndragon
08-01-14, 03:21 AM
I've been playing this game for nearly 18months and I don't usually post on this forum but I am so disgusted by this new icon which is unbelievably childish and in no way represents this game that I felt I had to let TL know.

To say it's one of our most popular animals is an insult to our intelligence. How on earth can an animal that was only available for a limited time and not even made available to everyone be considered popular?

For god's sake it doesn't even look like the pink alicorn in the actual game.

It's called CASTLE STORY not pukey pink, baby looking, unicorn story.

And NO, NO, NO I will NEVER grow to love it.

mnjcafe
08-01-14, 04:19 AM
Bravo, broadway baby! Also, good luck on your new job.

And I am glad that someone else pointed out that Sir Piggy is the favorite animal in the game. He's an early part of the core story, so everyone knows him, he has a cute nickname, and he frequently drops fun stuff. The regular animals are also popular, and are featured on the opening montage (cow, chicken, pig, etc.), the purple cow has a fun backstory, and Pepe le skunkupine is Ivy's pet, which still cracks me up. Even the manticores that Sabina dreamed of in her tower and found in real life are pretty awesome.

enaid03
08-01-14, 05:02 AM
Hey Kings and Queens,

This is ridiculous. There is no need to insult anyone's intelligence.

I just went to my kingdom to purchase one of your "most popular Animals" in the game. GUESS WHAT???? I CAN'T. But you knew that already. I have a pink guy. But why point it out to the people who have already expressed their displeasure on the lack of Love Shack that they didn't get something?

PS. I am a paying customer. I spend money when I'm happy.....

Regarding your logo change.....If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

judyvines
08-01-14, 05:09 AM
Does anyone remember New Coke? Coca Cola came up with the lame idea in 1985. The rebranded their signature drink and reformulated the taste. The public went crazy.....buying up all the regular Coke they could find and refusing to purchase the nasty knockoff. It didn't take long for Coca Cola to realize that they made a huge mistake and revert back to their original formula. A company that large admitted their mistake and gave their customers what they wanted. Surely you can do the same.

enaid03
08-01-14, 05:15 AM
Does anyone remember New Coke? Coca Cola came up with the lame idea in 1985. The rebranded their signature drink and reformulated the taste. The public went crazy.....buying up all the regular Coke they could find and refusing to purchase the nasty knockoff. It didn't take long for Coca Cola to realize that they made a huge mistake and revert back to their original formula. A company that large admitted their mistake and gave their customers what they wanted. Surely you can do the same.

This made me laugh. The public was supposed to grow to like it too. But not only did we not grow to love it, but the New Coke never tasted like Pepsi.

robino23
08-01-14, 05:22 AM
Ok. One day I might find myself not fuming over this hideous logo, but I will never love it. All I'm asking (begging) is will you please remove the ANNOYING music at the start up!

jimboser
08-01-14, 06:48 AM
This made me laugh. The public was supposed to grow to like it too. But not only did we not grow to love it, but the New Coke never tasted like Pepsi.

I think it was about that time I switched over to Dr Pepper, actually... :cool:

xhuxhmaxhuxh
08-01-14, 07:12 AM
Brdwybaby makes excellent points.

In addition to the overwhelming consensus that the new icon is 1) horrible and 2) juvenile and unrepresentative of the game, there is also a general understanding among commenters now that TL has changed this logo for business reasons (i.e., they believe it will increase revenue). That would indeed seem to be the case, in which case I would argue that this is a misguided business decision. It seems to me that the juvenile market which would be drawn to this icon is not the same as the market of people who will enjoy this game and spend money on it.

Consider that, please, TL. Also, consider this other nice business term: brand erosion.
"Erosion usually happens when a brand fails to deliver on its promise, turns its back on innovation, dilutes its product line too much, ignores copycat brands, or neglects to distinguish itself from the competition. The bottom line is that If your customers expect more from your company than you are delivering, erosion is the inevitable result." SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT.
[http://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?58319-Please-do-not-post-outside-links]

johnstonsimon
08-01-14, 07:43 AM
Teamlava loves the new icon so much they haven't even bothered to change the icon in this forum. :/

CottageRose
08-01-14, 07:48 AM
Is it possible to come back to the old icon?
I dont upgraded the main folder in my Mac, so if I'll restore the game from the Mac I'll loose my progress or I have back the loved CASTLE icon???????
Yes! This is very easy. I already restored the old Castle icon on mine. All game data is saved on the CS server.
1. Delete the game from your iPhone or iPad - which is the primary iDevice that you play on.
2. After it is deleted, reinstall CS from iTunes on your computer - NOT from the App Store. As long as you still have the old version on your computer, you can do this.
3. Do NOT upgrade CS from the App Store, NOT on your computer and NOT on your iDevice. This also means do not use the Upgrade All button in iTunes on your computer and on your iDevice.
4. Enjoy the return of your Castle icon.
5. Watch these forums before doing any CS upgrades to see when/if the icon is fixed. :D

kooky panda
08-01-14, 07:51 AM
Guys, please keep your post constructive and follow the forum rules.

Discussing third party games is not forum appropriate.
Posts discussing third party games have been removed and sent over to the community managers to review.

Thanks

NorthWoodsKingdom
08-01-14, 08:10 AM
Guys, please keep your post constructive and follow the forum rules.

Discussing third party games is not forum appropriate.
Posts discussing third party games have been removed and sent over to the community managers to review.

Thanks
Thanks for the clarification, kooky ... DISCUSSING third party games isn't forum appropriate and against the rules, got it. Ok, I understand now... TL just didn't discuss it, got it. Check.

Liloze
08-01-14, 09:08 AM
Hey Kings and Queens,

⬆️ This ⬆️ is what I call adding INSULT to Injury !
No need to elaborate others before me were spot on and hit the nail on the head !
I am a player who buys gems, I promise TL Now on this page with everyone reading as my witness, I will not pay a single dime to purchase gems anymore if this hideous Icon is not removed and the castle is back. .:mad:
Hopefully I won't be the only one

fluffybutter007
08-01-14, 09:39 AM
Can you address the "learn to love it" complaints?

Maybe we are going about this wrong. If we really want them to understand we want change maybe need to find out the leader/presidents of team lava or storm 8 is and email him/her with our concerns. It's possible the real people in charge don't know the outrage or they don't know our concerns.

Well, if all else fails, there is still the power of the review in the App Store. I don't know, I feel like we're being ignored. :/

mcwrapper
08-01-14, 09:52 AM
⬆️ This ⬆️ is what I call adding INSULT to Injury !
No need to elaborate others before me were spot on and hit the nail on the head !
I am a player who buys gems, I promise TL Now on this page with everyone reading as my witness, I will not pay a single dime to purchase gems anymore if this hideous Icon is not removed and the castle is back, and all the glitches fixed.:mad:
Hopefully I won't be the only one

All the glitches fixed is a pretty high goal. It's not like they meant for the glitches to happen. They actively and purposely trying to defraud new gamers. Fix the icon. That would be a good start.

Liloze
08-01-14, 10:05 AM
All the glitches fixed is a pretty high goal. It's not like they meant for the glitches to happen. They actively and purposely trying to defraud new gamers. Fix the icon. That would be a good start.
Sorry if my sentence implied they meant the glitches to happen, it wasn't what I meant.
But you are right asking for the glitches to be fixed is a high goal, if they will ask us to " get used to it " in the same vein of " grow to love it " !!
As for defrauding new clients, They will definitely reap what they sowed.
This Icon MUST DIE !

reliquary
08-01-14, 10:21 AM
Ummm... I can Not make/craft/buy/gem past...ie. ever get a pink alicorn.

Did anyone notice that our actual (bought w/gems) alicorn has that lovely goofy face?...it's endearing :p
Not the tacky gendered doe eyed appearance...bleh.

Hey, I'm a gender neutral human.. I know youz designer people in SF understand and have prolly all been to the loudly colored festys that are inspiring these newish colors and art structures...kool....;)

But hey, if the longterm profits and success of CS is a goal, I'd avoid the trends....and def. the gender specific stuff. C'mon that's like progressive and stuff, and why we all think the writing and dialog is so awesome....not everything has to be "pretty"

oliverrr11
08-01-14, 10:40 AM
Hey Kings and Queens,

You wanted feedback, we gave you lots of it! 100% of the feedback has been negative. So it really doesn't matter what we post, does it? It obviously was a closed subject from the beginning. You like our passion? I will give up my level 50 kingdom over this. I will not grow to love it. I will not update. I will play until you cut me off by requiring an update.

brdwybaby
08-01-14, 11:55 AM
Well, if all else fails, there is still the power of the review in the App Store. I don't know, I feel like we're being ignored. :/

That's because we are.

zuma022
08-01-14, 12:29 PM
See, the thing is, us forum people don't really count. Just a tiny portion of the game revenue comes from us and they don't care. Obviously some market analysis told them there are enough little girls without patience who will beg their parents for gems. So be it. If that's what you want TL, good luck.

vizbiz11
08-01-14, 12:43 PM
Hey Kings and Queens,

But the pink Alicorn in the icon looks nothing like the (unavailable to most players) Alicorn in the game. The CS Alicorns are like goofy, flight-challenged donkeys with ADHD. Perhaps rethinking the icon to look something more like this:

vontalken
08-01-14, 12:50 PM
Ha, ok the was funny vizbiz11. Mr. Ed is a classic but would be outside the target demographic.

luckylu98
08-01-14, 12:52 PM
Ok. One day I might find myself not fuming over this hideous logo, but I will never love it. All I'm asking (begging) is will you please remove the ANNOYING music at the start up!

Exactly how I feel! Ridiculous logo aside, it is VERY frustrating that the childish music can't be turned off at start up! Wish someone would get our message.

perry5
08-01-14, 01:36 PM
OK...really? Guess you all don't really want feedback. Or is that feedback from some is "more equal" than others?

[S8] Elsa
08-01-14, 01:54 PM
Hi everyone! We appreciate your feedback about the new icon and are passing on the thoughts you've shared with us here. While we appreciate the passion of our players, I'd like to remind everyone to keep their posts constructive and within the rules of the forum.

If you have a question about a post, please ask via Forum Disputes (http://forums.storm8.com/forumdisplay.php?75-Forum-Disputes). Moderator actions are not discussed on the main forum. We'll be happy to assist you. Thanks!

OlifantSkoene
08-01-14, 01:55 PM
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only adult player in this game!

I love the graphics in the game but am also put off by the new game icon. I've also noticed that a few of the newer buildings are heading in the same graphics direction as the game icon, for example the greenhouse and mermaid pond have much less texture than the other buildings. I noticed this when I put a greenhouse and cottage side by side - the stones in front of each building's doors, for example, look like they should belong to different games.

Please don't misunderstand, I LOVE the overall look of the greenhouse and mermaid pond, I just hope that the graphic style of the game will remain cohesive and not start heading towards a look geared for preschoolers.

xanethi
08-01-14, 01:56 PM
This icon is realy terrible. 1) if its supposed to represent something in game then make it something available to all players (Like the dragon you Can get from a quest as an example) 2) the icon is as others have Said too childish compared to the gameplay. 3) does not look at all Like the in game alicorns

Guardian452
08-01-14, 02:05 PM
Hey Kings and Queens,

Mine, and what seems to be the consensus, is that the initial reaction to the icon is an immediate turn-off. I think it's a huge mistake. If I saw the icon in the App Store without knowing anything about the game, I would never download it. I would bet that many people have already seen the new icon and passed up on the game but would have at least considered downloading the game with old icon.

dangerb0y
08-01-14, 02:07 PM
When I saw the icon I yelled at my kid for downloading a game on my phone.

My wife deleted the program thinking it was a virus.

My kid thought I had downloaded a game for her(I hadn't).

OlifantSkoene
08-01-14, 02:11 PM
Hey Kings and Queens,

It is my understanding that the Pink Alicorn was a Valentines 2014 special quest item. If this icon update represents the Pink Alicorn, does that mean we will have a shot at getting it again?

midnightmeerkat
08-01-14, 02:31 PM
It is my understanding that the Pink Alicorn was a Valentines 2014 special quest item. If this icon update represents the Pink Alicorn, does that mean we will have a shot at getting it again?

I think it is an awful idea having the main icon for any game picturing something that is a special limited item not generally available. NOT very good advertising of your product at all. If I download a game I would expect the icon to represent the game.

netaoneneal
08-01-14, 02:40 PM
I have the girl (don't remember her name) that collects everything and since the update, runs around .
I can't even collect items and she running off to collect something else!!! the icon of the pony, not so good! Sorry! I loved the Castle as everyone else has said!

leojsufur
08-01-14, 02:41 PM
Hey Kings and Queens,

I am a little insulted that you think we actually believe your reasoning for the icon change and a little insulted that you think grown adults would grow to love pink ponies. Please be honest with us. We have been very honest with you (maybe a little too much so...

Marmalademuffin
08-01-14, 02:58 PM
I seriously dislike the new icon very much! Please please consider bring the original one back. It was perfect!!

vontalken
08-01-14, 02:58 PM
WOOT! I found a 1.1.8 version ipa file and restored it to my main Ipad!
mmm no collection bug, no forced start up music, and the better icon. :cool:
sweet sweet denial of change.

mcwrapper
08-01-14, 03:03 PM
Elsa;941588']Hi everyone! We appreciate your feedback about the new icon and are passing on the thoughts you've shared with us here. While we appreciate the passion of our players, I'd like to remind everyone to keep their posts constructive and within the rules of the forum.

If you have a question about a post, please ask via Forum Disputes (http://forums.storm8.com/forumdisplay.php?75-Forum-Disputes). Moderator actions are not discussed on the main forum. We'll be happy to assist you. Thanks!
Ok this is the second time you have written that. How about taking the time to address the complaints.

The main one being that your "super popular mascot" character is not available anymore, and most players have not seen nor even heard of a pink alicorn.

I would be way less upset if you changed the title screen to the pink unicorn. At least people wouldn't see it as they are looking for other programs.

Please address the complaints with something other then learn to love it. Say something defending it with the least amount of plausibility of truth.

midnightmeerkat
08-01-14, 03:03 PM
I seriously dislike the new icon very much! Please please consider bring the original one back. It was perfect!!

Castle story - picture of a castle .... Yup, perfect!

enaid03
08-01-14, 03:11 PM
I think it is an awful idea having the main icon for any game picturing something that is a special limited item not generally available. NOT very good advertising of your product at all. If I download a game I would expect the icon to represent the game.

I'm failing to see how alienating a percentage of your game base is a good marketing idea. But then again, I didn't go to school for marketing. That seems like basic common sense.

mcwrapper
08-01-14, 04:08 PM
I'm failing to see how alienating a percentage of your game base is a good marketing idea. But then again, I didn't go to school for marketing. That seems like basic common sense.

There hoping they will get enough new downloads from people thinking they are downloading the other game to counteract the negativity of the older players.

This might work in the short term. The problem is what is the attach rate when someone downloads the wrong game 1-5% maybe. They will get more downloads but less revenue. I am sure in a few months this fact will true and they will change the icon.

Or the other game will change it then team lava will change there icon to match that.

AzHadz
08-01-14, 04:40 PM
WOOT! I found a 1.1.8 version ipa file and restored it to my main Ipad!
mmm no collection bug, no forced start up music, and the better icon. :cool:
sweet sweet denial of change.

Until they make it so a new feature will only work with the 1.2 update...then you're hooped.

vontalken
08-01-14, 04:40 PM

The principal reason is that the change will attract more new players than it will alienate. and this is desirable for a few reasons

1) statistically it is easy to show that attracting new from a different demographic will outpace the alienation of the current. basically an average user in the player base is willing keep playing even after the game changes past the point where they would not have be*** playing. This is because the average user believes they have made an investment in the game and even when tanking they believe if they just hold on it will turn around.
2) even if #1 statistically ends up incorrect there is still the fact that a new player has more potential money available than an established player. Why? Because the established player is farther in the game and has likely already spend some money on it. if they have spend money, they have a greater psychological sense of ownership and entitlement(plus loyalty) and therefore is less likely to continue to spend("I've paid enough"). There is an average amount each player is expected to spend(say $150- normally set by similar product averages or history) and the value of a new player is starting at "zero" while the established player who leaves will either also be a zero (and wants to remain that way no matter what - so they don't count) or has already spent the money.

From just a numbers perspective the decision to pursue the new customer is like you are trading in 3 half eaten sandwiches for 3-5 brand new sandwiches! .. a win win as they say. you either have more players or you have fresher players.
The only real choice is which customer's to pursue.

Marketing comes in a tells you flat.. right now pre-teen and teenage girls have the highest disposable income and therefore the most potential for sales of your product. ( see it says so in this marketing industry magazine or consultant's analysis).
That demo likes cloying cute, fantasy, and romance. aka the glitter bomb!

This isn't unique to castle story or even apps. This is happening/has happened/will happen to almost ALL entertainment products as they either maximize profit or extend a product's life cycle.
(look at twilight for books and movies, one direction for music, monster high for action figures)

The real sadness comes when we realize we know all this and inevitable conclusion that comes from courting such a fickle group. It is a sad milestone to cross so we pretend it isn't there or fight to pull back from it. :(

enaid03
08-01-14, 04:49 PM
Well, I think their new marketing guru phenomenal.

I'm sitting on the couch with my kids when my 3 year grabs my ipad. (Yes, I do have lock controls). And she starts to take pictures. Scrolls across the icons (at least she's NOT facetiming my boss this time which cause the controls). And she stumbles upon an "OH SO CUTE" pony icon. Clicks it, and I have no idea what she clicked on in MY kingdom.

YES - I should have locked it. I was merely having a good time with my kids. But hey TL - if you new demographic is 3 year old girls.....she is all about the icon. Never bothered with it to this day. But then again, your terms of service prohibit her in the game (haven't figured out why one TOS says one age and app store stays another), but she thought it cute.

She's super excited to click stuff in mommy's game and be like mommy. Too bad you need a password to buy gems. Not happening.

So of course I will figure out something to lock my iPad all the time. So sad.

But you are right, my 3 year old loves the change! TL mission accomplished!

enaid03
08-01-14, 04:51 PM
The principal reason is that the change will attract more new players than it will alienate. and this is desirable for a few reasons

Marketing comes in a tells you flat.. right now pre-teen and teenage girls have the highest disposable income and therefore the most potential for sales of your product. ( see it says so in this marketing industry magazine or consultant's analysis).
That demo likes cloying cute, fantasy, and romance. aka the glitter bomb!:(

Absolutely right!!! They have a brand new player in my 3 year old. My 7 year old passed. He thought it was too girly. So unless she somehow comes into some spending power, my wallet is closed. And yes, I am a long time player who plays these silly games to escape my oh to stressful world.

AzHadz
08-01-14, 04:59 PM
I'm not a big fan of the new icon (I'm an adult male) and considering the pink Alicorn was a limited time thing (I do have 2 of them though), I think if you want to change the icon...it should be something more related to Castle Story as a game. New players may never get the pink Alicorn unless TL brings it back next Valentines day (possible, but not likely).

That said, It's not really driving me to stop playing Castle Story at all. I'm enjoying this game over many other TeamLava games just due to its intricacy and things to do. I gave up on Dragon Story and the new Fantasy Forest game is just Dragon story with different creatures so nothing to entice me there. I like Castle Story and I want to keep playing it (would be happier if they made an Android version too but at least I have it on my iPhone).

Am I happy with the change, no. Will it keep me from playing, no.

My $0.02 worth :)

berrigan17
08-01-14, 05:04 PM
So if the general TL business model is to replicate existing games as closely as possible without stepping over into challenge-able copyright areas and scooping up the wash of profits there, Castle Story may have gone outside the formula and developed a life of its own. CS was fun, quirky, good to look at and seemed to have real people with real experiences involved in developing it.

Is it being moved back in line with what it should be? Close but not too close to unmentionable existing product?

My concern generally is that the icon change is part of a larger change of direction. I could probably bear the icon hidden in a folder (my secret shame) if my game continued in the same way.

As part of this self-appointed focus group:
IF the theory is buildings are not as good as icons with faces as they don’t draw people in, or maybe send the wrong message about the game (“We need a face!”), make it a face that’s identifiable with the game. Plenty of worthwhile suggestions have been offered. I defy anyone to say Sir Pigglesworth isn’t cute. (Sir Pigglesworth pink and with a floral mane anyone? Maybe not…)

If you need to update your icon. Make it a new castle. Even a castle/face combo.

Did TL accidentally become a leader rather than a follower with CS and found itself out the front rather than one of the pack? Scary place. Get back in the crowd. Remember the marketing mantra:

Ponies = good
Pink ponies = gooder (bad wording intended)
Pink ponies with flowers in their manes and unicorn horns = Jackpot!!!

Vontalken and others have been discussing similar things above while I was writing. It’s kind of depressing.

Be Brave, TL! Love CS, let it grow, let it grow...

PikaSquirrel
08-01-14, 05:07 PM
Absolutely right!!! They have a brand new player in my 3 year old. My 7 year old passed. He thought it was too girly. So unless she somehow comes into some spending power, my wallet is closed. And yes, I am a long time player who plays these silly games to escape my oh to stressful world.

Our games are not intended for children under 13 years of age as per our Terms of Service. Pleas review our Terms of Service HERE (http://www.storm8.com/terms).

berrigan17
08-01-14, 05:08 PM
You can fund our game from your other pink, glittery games.

enaid03
08-01-14, 05:19 PM
Our games are not intended for children under 13 years of age as per our Terms of Service. Pleas review our Terms of Service HERE (http://www.storm8.com/terms).

Correct. Which is my point. My 3 year old who thought the icon was cute and tapped it - SHE cannot read. I'm very sorry for this, I've been pushing for a strong curriculum in her preschool - it starts next week. But its like any of her other cutsie game icons on her battery drained iPad which is why she picked up my iPad.

I did see the app store said 9 years old yesterday.

Again, I as a parent shield my kids from my iPad as much as I can. I don't want them touching it. I made the mistake of leaving it unlocked before the minute timer autolocked it, and she thought it was a game for her.

Just a real life real world example of the icon change. Please look to it as constructive criticism. I would prefer she does not mistake her games with my games in the future.

zuma022
08-01-14, 05:21 PM

That's a shame because my 5 year old niece was all over it. She loved your pink pony.

So, I'm *guessing* it has nothing to with the favourite animal that we can't get anymore, or just change is part of everything, but it has everything to do with the unmentionable other thing. Which is a real shame. Have some faith in your own product.

PikaSquirrel
08-01-14, 05:24 PM
The 9+ that you see in the App Store does not indicate Castle Story is meant for ages 9 and up. All of our games are intended for ages 13 and up. Please see our Terms of Service for more information. Thanks you!

nmishii
08-01-14, 05:27 PM
The 9+ that you see in the App Store does not indicate Castle Story is meant for ages 9 and up. All of our games are intended for ages 13 and up. Please see our Terms of Service for more information. Thanks you!

Then what does the 9+ in the App Store indicate?

vontalken
08-01-14, 05:32 PM
Then what does the 9+ in the App Store indicate?

The content rating from apple is based on the games actions and activities. 9+ means content wise the game is for 9 and above according to APPLE. BUT because of legal stuff and in app purchases storm8/team lava up it in the TOS to 13+.

PikaSquirrel
08-01-14, 05:34 PM
The content rating from apple is based on the games actions and activities. 9+ means content wise the game is for 9 and above according to APPLE. BUT because of legal stuff and in app purchases storm8/team lava up it in the TOS to 13+.

Yes, the App Store has their own ratings for applications based on the content that is in the game. However, to play our games you must be at least 13 years old as per our Terms of Service.

glimmergate
08-01-14, 05:53 PM
Hey folks, just want to chime in here. The icon change is just that - a new icon.

I just want to reassure you that the content of the game isn't changing - we're going to continue on the exact same way we have for the last 2 years. We're still going to update the game weekly, we're still going to have the same stories and humor and gameplay :) Our audience is still the same - all of you, who played the game, loved it, and have continued to support us over months (and years!).

Queenzod
08-01-14, 06:06 PM

I've been reading all of this and trying to stay quiet but can you address the change in graphics? In general, it seems the game is being reduced. The icon is just another element in this reduction. People are upset for a number of reasons, but I think the general trend here is that CS used to be a game for adults. It had a lighthearted, clean attitude, a complex playing structure and wonderful graphics. Those elements are degrading over time. That's a problem for your base consumer. If your base is not important to you, fine. But that is the message that's being received.

fluffybutter007
08-01-14, 06:10 PM
Hey folks, just want to chime in here. -clip-

I don't think the concern is about CS changing the story or age level. The concern is about the new icon attracting the wrong age group to the actual app. Before the change, many little kids (3-5 years old) were not originally interested in playing a game with a castle icon. However, the little pink unicorn grabs their attention now. Which unfortunately also repels potential players who are the right age group.

Personally I would never download this app with the unicorn icon, if I didn't have it already. The icon is the first thing I look at, if interested in the icon, then I'll look at the name and description.

There are other concerns we, as the player have, but we are unable to describe them here.

enaid03
08-01-14, 06:24 PM
The level is a concern because that is target that the new icon is portraying.

I personally don't enjoy prying my iPad away from a 3 year old temper tantrum because she wants to play the "pretty pink pony game". This is the demographic of the icon. This has not happened before.

I will either revert back to an earlier version of the game or try to figure out how to change/hide the icon. I honestly enjoy this game most of the the game I play. Sadly.

But then again, perhaps what this is telling me is I play too much. I used to play almost all TL games and am down to 2 that suit my needs. I have played CS almost since it was available in my app store and daily through the drought of updates last summer.

Liloze
08-01-14, 06:30 PM

First of all I just want to tell you thanks for joining the thread
Second, Like Fluffybutter 007 said, if this new Icon was the original one I would have never downloaded this game!
And just to give you an idea about how powerful the old CS Icon was,
3 of my friends saw it on my home screen, asked what's this castle Icon, so I logged into the game, and they were excited about it and downloaded it!
Now the new Icon is relegated to the second page of games file, on the 2nd page of my home screen, so that no one would see this infantile Icon on my ipad!

No it is not just an Icon change, the word "Change" implies progress, improvement, Making something better!
I do not want to sound rude, and my apologies in advance but this new Icon is a "Regression"!

As for the CS game I do hope it won't follow the Icon!

Thank you.

outhouse01
08-01-14, 07:01 PM
Awe, how cute. A little pink pony with flowers in her hair. I always wanted one of those when I was a kid, but my parents could never afford to give me on. So thanks TL for making my childhood dream come true (even if only in make believe world).

Only problem is I wanted the pretty pink pony 40 plus years ago when I was a kid. Now I just want my Castle.

To chime in about the +13 bit. I had my 3 yo boy nephew, 5 yo boy nephew and 8 yo female niece for a sleep over last night. 3 yo and 8 yo only wanted to play the pony game. They've never been interested in my Castle, but they loved my new pony. They didn't give a toss about the TOS. They just wanted the pony - they also cannot read detailed terms of reference or legal jargon. The only look at pictures. 5 yo only wanted to play the ones with cars on the icon. The pony was "too girly" for him. His words, not mine.

New icon is just plain wrong in so many ways. It's now buried in the 3rd level basement on my iPad.

vontalken
08-01-14, 07:02 PM
The level is a concern because that is target that the new icon is portraying.

I personally don't enjoy prying my iPad away from a 3 year old temper tantrum because she wants to play the "pretty pink pony game". This is the demographic of the icon. This has not happened before.

I will either revert back to an earlier version of the game or try to figure out how to change/hide the icon. I honestly enjoy this game most of the the game I play. Sadly.

But then again, perhaps what this is telling me is I play too much. I used to play almost all TL games and am down to 2 that suit my needs. I have played CS almost since it was available in my app store and daily through the drought of updates last summer.

so why is it happening? well that is easy really! It is the same thing that happens/happened? in to book industry and you are also seeing. Here it is: People.. all people judge a book by its cover....or icon. i know it sucks but it is true.. we really all do it. (so .. see previous post on why the glitter bomb. it isn't for you. it is targeting app store browsers)
Here

why similarity? it is a defensive protection method based on the same principle. if the game becomes mega popular the details be come clear but when floating along until that day the scenario goes like this:

1. hear about the game some details .. my friend said "the one with the pony icon yea it has castle in the name."
2. find similar products in store both free.
3. one of three things happens
a) details are specific enough to distinguish between them. no impact positive or negative and the more popular the product the more likely this is the case
b) random download between the two. no impact .. seriously the odds equal. because the product is free however there is a higher chance of the following
C) download both and play both at the same time. positive impact - you have exposed your product to a wider audience it is up to the user and product features after that.

so you want the core of it? it is about attracting new players for larger income streams because more people and doing it WITHOUT increasing the burden on your current player base:D. would you prefer they make a quest require gems? * shiver* ( sorry I can't take that.:( )

p.s. how in the world did I get to defending that pink thing... i don't like it at all.. i even manipulated my itunes to restore an old version.. sigh... but i can see why it was done and the real damage is only cosmetic... except for maybe that tea party graphic.... jk I can see the shadow work and filigree on the table cloth :p

gunnysmum
08-01-14, 07:18 PM
You have made a very good argument with excellent examples. They. Do. not. care. I hate it as well!

iAyun
08-01-14, 07:35 PM

Here is my argument:
If "you are going to continue on the exact same way you have for the last 2 years", the old icon is part of the same way for the last 2 years.
(or not?)
And AFAIK, no one complain until the new arrived. (or there are a lot of complains already?)
I still do not understand, why you replace it? You are the designer, can you share a little bit behind the changes?

Please please please..

PS: I want to know, we have already gived you all feedbacks (+ and -), we want to know your "proper" feedback.. Pleaseeee....
*beg like 13+ child* :D