PDA

View Full Version : Do You Even Bother?

PineapplePigeon
06-30-14, 04:06 PM
Do you even bother with the Arctic isles?

Before I even start a rant, I'm just going to say, Im not trying to sound like I'm not grateful for all of TL's hard work and awesome development, because I am. I love how much effort they are putting intothe game, but I just want to have a little rant about the Arctic Isles because if I tried posting this on my wall, I would need atleast 3 walls to display it all :rolleyes:

Anyways, I personally don't. I'm at level 98, nearly level 99, but I've never been able to breed an Ice Age Dragon (regardless of its label as "common") so I've never really tried. But a few days ago, I decided to take a look online and see really what the Arctic isles is about. I think some of the dragons are super cute while some are hideous in an adorable sort of way, but what really made me mad is that you can't visit someone's Arctic isles, or atleast show them on your main islands.
Whats the point of breeding these beautiful dragons, or unlocking Glacius the Ancient if you can't display them and make your neighbors green with envy?
Also, the Arctic Isles dragons don't drop coins, and they require a boat load of food, so it's sort of one sided. I personally don't keep a lot of dragons on my main islands, because I only like to keep the essentials (Fire, Forest, Air, Water, Magic, etc.) and dragons I think are appealing to the eye, so I already make less money as is.
Plus, a lot of my dragons are babies, Because they're just SOOO cute, so that's even more money I'm not earning.
Regardless of this, I still am able to keep a steady amount of atleast 3 million (I'm currently at 6 million), but if I had an Arctic Isles and was trying to evolve 9 dragons to epic form, I'd be down in the hundred thousands!
By far, my favorite Arctic dragon is the Icicle Dragon, it is one of the most beautiful dragons I've ever seen, and if I'd been successful in breeding it, I would definitely want to display it.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is... I think the Arctic Isles is a great idea, but what we need is to be able to visit each other's Arctic Isles, and to either have the dragons drop coins, or lower the amounts of food they would need.
Hopefully TL will one day put these ideas into consideration (although I'm sure other players have already suggested this stuff), because it would definitely make me more enthusiastic to unlock the Arctic Isles.

my main wish is for the icicle dragon to be available to be placed on the main islands...it's just so beautiful!!!

chalupa2030
06-30-14, 06:37 PM
No ~ I don't bother:)

dangerb0y
06-30-14, 06:56 PM
It's designed for the players who have hundreds of millions of coin but don't know what to do with it. They honestly should have introduced it at level 100, not 35.

I'm level 103 but can't afford to upgrade the buildings or evolve to level 7.

I have 12 of 18 dragons, but stopped breeding. I have this theory that any rare or super rare bred on arctic isles takes away my chances of a rare breed on the main island.

caliscorp
06-30-14, 09:24 PM
If I had known more about it, I wouldn't have bothered either.

I got it and even expanded 2 squares but it is a totally ridiculous money pit that takes away from the main island's coins so I started to ignore it after day 3. I don't feed them because I don't have a lot of coins, but I evolved them enough to breed. I breed them constantly since now it costs me nothing, but I literally get the same **** dragon almost every time. I only have 5 of them and end up selling every new one because I don't want to pay for more habitats etc. they sell for 1,000 coins though instead of the main island ones that only sell for 100.

I think that if we could at least breed easier there or if they came out with new dragons, it would be something to go back to when I'm overflowing with coins but nope.

dangerb0y
06-30-14, 09:52 PM
Expanding is probably the one thing you want to do in arctic isles.

My main island takes 64 maps and 3 days to expand. My arctic I think is over 40. When my main island is in the middle of an expansion, I can travel over to arctic and request maps from there. It saves me 2 days worth of requesting maps on the main island after expansion

parkejm
07-01-14, 02:43 AM
No, I don't see the point. I'm level 127 and have never bred an Ice Age dragon, although I've not specifically tried. I like the sound of requesting maps, but other than that I won't bother.

dala12
07-01-14, 02:56 AM
I only tend to go there if I have time. It is a lot of money to get food and you tend to get the same dragons over and over again. But I like to try to get the special ones..so I like to tell that I have one diamond! But they are all on a lower level because I will not pay so much for making them food. But I would really like that fossil dragon flying above the island..so I keep going.

Sparkly888
07-01-14, 05:06 AM
I only go there when it's the only way I can send map requests.
And way too many time I have gone there when I miss-tapped during farming.

freesiawoods
07-01-14, 06:57 AM
No, the dragons don't earn coins, are a murder to feed and I can't breed anything new.

ciarjen
07-01-14, 07:10 AM
No, I don't visit.

The process of breeding and hatching is clumsy and awkward - anything but enjoyable.

I did try for a while and even spent some gold on it but I hated it, so gave up.

I like to be able to see all my dragons as I open up the app. Having them somewhere in a far off place where I can't see them, doesn't make sense.

caliscorp
07-01-14, 07:53 AM
I do that also but I noticed that it hardly takes any maps so that strategy only works if I'm almost out of them. Maybe because I haven't expanded much yet.

willb09
07-01-14, 08:04 AM
I do. I think a lot of the Arctic dragons are cute! I have 17 out of 19 dragons, just need a Snow Angel and then to unlock the big one. I'm not too worried about unlocking the big one though. I would like to see more to do on the island though. I don't see much reason to expand until then.

brandonu
07-01-14, 08:21 AM
I do go there, but less often now. I have 18 of 19 dragons (missing Snowangel) and they are all Epic. I am also fully expanded. I think there are some great dragons on the Island, it just needs to be used somehow with the main island.

freshfunin2008
07-01-14, 08:21 AM
I have completed that on one account and I only found it good for spending millions and millions of my silver coins. Now that I am done with that.... well I have been done for a long time I have over 50 M silver coins and nothing to spend it on. I basically have stopped collecting coins unless I accidentally press the collect button as I move around.

FigmentValley
07-01-14, 10:22 AM
Naaah... The Arctic Isles are the epitome of a welfare state. They consume large amounts of resources, yet produce NOTHING. They are a drain on my Dragons. I am frustrated when I accidentally touch the "travel" button and it wastes my time going out and back and re entering my game. It is worthless.

Anaboe
07-01-14, 10:34 AM
It's good way to sync your game ;)

I've unlocked Glacius the Ancient and it's flying around, doing nothing. I still can clear 3-4 pieces, feed 3 dragns to lvl 4 and breed the Diamond-hybrids, then I've done everything there is to be done on the island. Since I've stopped growing food in the Arctic Island, I'm besomming rich very fast :)

It's a shame you can't move them to your main island, or use them in the arena.

chalupa2030
07-01-14, 10:37 AM
It's good way to sync your game ;)

Visiting your neighbors will do the same:)

sapphirecross
07-01-14, 03:31 PM
I usually log into and out of my game from arctic isles. I have all but the penguin, the diamond hybrids, and unlocked glacius - I usually plant the 2 min food whenever I think about it as I'm passing through. Have about 5 at epic currently.

I like it cuz I have space there, which I never have empty spots on main island, but there is hardly any decorations. I would like to be able to use decor from main island and storage. I spent a couple million on the snowy trees and some statues and banners, but it doesn't really fill the space. I'd like a full size version in ice of the fountain with roses, stuff like that. But since I am only ever there about a minute, not that big a deal lol.

hugpete
07-01-14, 09:07 PM
...if I had an Arctic Isles and was trying to evolve 9 dragons to epic form, I'd be down in the hundred thousands!
I did the math once and it's about 79 million coins to unlock Glacius, using the most efficient crops, etc. :/

When my main island is in the middle of an expansion, I can travel over to arctic and request maps from there.
I do this too.

...they sell for 1,000 coins...
I sell mine too.

It's good way to sync your game.
And this. That's about all I use my Arctic for. Maybe someday when I'm rich, I'll get all the dragons there, but as it is I still don't even have a Diamond so it's impossible for me to breed them all. I do hope the mine there gets opened some day (and is something interesting).

MBerkay
07-02-14, 12:31 AM
I'm getting ready to stop worrying about it. I'm not getting ANY Super Rare dragons when breeding there. Was trying for a Yeti and kept getting Abominable's only. Plus it seems I'm stuck at only 2 of each habitat. Why clear all that land and not be able to use it for more dragons. Plus getting the resources to HATCH the dragons is a waste of time. I've been breeding my Diamond with those dragons and only getting Common dragons with an (rarely) occasional Rare dragon. Guess this area needs A LOT MORE work.

jtm101
07-02-14, 07:06 AM
I gave up on Artic Isles months ago, as it really was a waste of coins and time.

I would however return if i could use those dragons in battles. It seems strange to me that we have to fight them as opponents but cant use our own arctic isle dragons.

MazReptile
07-02-14, 10:47 AM
I gave up too, I've got 5 of the dragons and then constantly getting the same dragon.
It was useless to me tbh....
Might just use it to request maps tho when I'm expanding on my main island

AwesomeChefDad
07-02-14, 11:34 AM
No, in fact I wish I could turn it off and not get hooked into going there once in a while.

sheardear
07-03-14, 04:19 AM
I havnt been there for months, I've fully expanded I've gotten all the dragons and fed them all to epic, so there's nothing for me to do there, I like the idea but it is ridiculously expensive, but I've got 60 mil coins that are doing nothing.
I would like to see other peoples isles and be able to use them in the arena.
Plus there have been no updates for the arctic isle in months, it would be nice to move them all to my mainland as long as there is more land to put them on, I'm fully expanded and now mining for island parts which takes weeks to do

SharonFish
07-04-14, 08:38 AM
Maybe is has something to do with the fact that Android users don't have this feature at all. Maybe if TL made this available to every one then others could see it???

Exeroth
07-14-14, 10:00 AM
I almost have enough food to level one more to level 10, then I'll need one more for Glacius and the lowest level dude is 7 so yeah. But that being said I've been playing for years and my progress in the arctic was bought from patience across literally months of getting nothing but blizzard and polar bear dragons. I have all the diamond hybrids out there, but nobody can see them, so who cares? At this point literally all I'm using it for is to unload coins and free Glacius. He looks cool... Nobody is going to know when I thawed him out but oh well. That 20 gold bonus he gives will go towards yet another gold brick path on my main islands (btw TL that path should cost 10 gold 15 tops 20 is way too much)

Zummat
07-14-14, 10:30 AM
I still visit and throw two dragons in to breed since I have an extra diamond. I have so many coins that I can spend them on food to eventually get the dragons to epic. I visit when I'm waiting for things to happen in the main game.

amerirish
07-14-14, 10:33 AM
At first I found the Arctic Islands confusing and didn't bother trying to figure out, but lately I have been playing around in there. I've managed to breed a couple of cool dragons and earn some coins through the goals. I do agree that it sucks that no one can visit the isles.

Marmalademuffin
07-14-14, 01:07 PM
I just got the same dragon over and over and over and over again so I never go visit. Thanks for the tip about requesting maps! Never thought of that. I actually just forget all about the arctic isles. Maybe I will go today and try once more but probably not.

AnnirasSweets
07-15-14, 04:27 AM
I've been level 150 for what feels like ages now, so there are few dragons I still need to breed. With this in mind, I try to stop by the Arctic Isle at least once a day to try and finish off the diamonds from there. The main reason I play this game at all is because I enjoy ticking dragons off my list once I breed them. Other than that, I find the Arctic is a good way to rack up more points. What exactly it is that I'm saving these points for? I'm not really sure myself, to be honest. So in summary, I don't visit the Arctic much, and other than getting the dragons off my to-do list I could live without it. Especially since they never update it. Ever. Not even with decor. Kinda odd if you ask me.

benjessie
07-20-14, 07:56 AM
I'm on level 80-something (I forgot) and I don't bother with this Arctic Isles. It's just a place to waste coins and gold, and the dragons don't even drop coins, let alone gold. I love the ****erwhale dragon, but some the others are simply hideous. They never even update it!

JustKay
07-20-14, 04:33 PM
Has anyone mentioned the 20 gold you get for releasing Glacius? :D it matters a bit to people like me who've never paid for gold, although I will admit the effort is not worth the return. I've wasted too many hours jumping through TL's hoops to get every itty bitty bar of free gold.

That aside, it's mostly about the cash burn. It gave you something extra to do before TL really upped the speed of updates.

Zummat
07-20-14, 05:47 PM
I'm on level 80-something (I forgot) and I don't bother with this Arctic Isles. It's just a place to waste coins and gold, and the dragons don't even drop coins, let alone gold. I love the ****erwhale dragon, but some the others are simply hideous. They never even update it!

Never spend gold there, would not be a wise choice to spend gold in the Arctic Isles since there isn't a reason to do that. I have so many coins it isn't a problem buying stuff there. Time wise, I probably spend maybe 1/2 hour there a day. I'm gradually evolving the dragons and breed a new one every now and then. This isn't a race and I'm not concerned about how long it will take. But I started it and I like to finish things I start. The only way I will not finish is if TL takes it away before I get to release Glacius.

amerirish
07-21-14, 10:29 AM
I recently needed to save a bunch of coins to buy a gold habitat, so I used the breeding den in the Arctic Isles to breed common dragons like Ice Age. I would then sell the eggs for an 800 coin profit.

stlgreg11
07-21-14, 11:56 AM
i am in level 145. I have all of the dragons except for two of the diamond hybrids.
I wish i had ignored the isle until after level 100

I will spend my "extra" coins i have built up from time to time before now.
Now i have plenty of coins.

SANDSCApe
07-25-14, 12:58 PM
Yes, I bother, and I'm no longer bothered.
I started going back to the Arctic last month, just to pass idle time. Coins are no longer an issue for me as they were when the Arctic Expansion was first launched. So although I've already released Glacius, I still plant food whenever I go there -- the five hour food no less. LOL
When I initially abandoned my Arctic, I had bred all 18 dragons except Polar and I had a third Icecrown egg on the nest (Polar fail) which I really didn't want to throw away. But when I returned recently, I DID toss it and resumed trying for Polar. Still no luck on that one.
I don't think those dragons need to produce coins, but I wish they would not make the sound of coins jingling when you collect oil, fur or wind from them. (sigh)
Yes, I wish we could visit each other's Arctic Isles but I've become used to it as a quiet solitary collector's playspace. Thats what it is meant to be. An exclusive play option for advanced caretakers with excessive quantities of coins. I sometimes buy decorations over there to satisfy the goals needed to collect gems for downloading and playing other games.

benjessie
07-27-14, 08:55 PM
Never spend gold there, would not be a wise choice to spend gold in the Arctic Isles since there isn't a reason to do that. I have so many coins it isn't a problem buying stuff there. Time wise, I probably spend maybe 1/2 hour there a day. I'm gradually evolving the dragons and breed a new one every now and then. This isn't a race and I'm not concerned about how long it will take. But I started it and I like to finish things I start. The only way I will not finish is if TL takes it away before I get to release Glacius.

Yeah, I know. That would be a waste :P
The only fact I am bothered with is the fact that the button is annoying when clicking the market or collecting >.<

JeannesThinkin
08-01-14, 01:23 AM
WHAT? YOU CAN'T EARN COINS THROUGH ARCTIC ISLES??? And I was so excited to get to level 35... (Level 34 now) :( Can't they make the currency Snow Coins, and you can only earn snow coins? :(

jaesha
08-01-14, 09:34 PM
I played the Arctic Isles. It was like a game within the game. I made completing it a personal challenge since I couldn't share it with anyone. I enjoyed completing the goal. It wasn't easy,because the dragons there are greedy and only eat caviar but after releasing Galcius I leveled up all the dragons and completed the expansions. I also still plant food there occasionally.

I'm not going to say it was a waste of time as it was a nice challenge and many times I said okay, not worth the effort because I was always poor, but the feeling of accomplishment after completing it made it worth the effort.

tmurrayt
08-02-14, 05:58 PM
I gave up a long time ago. I managed to finally breed a winter Dragon, but when I moved it over to the Arctic aisles and started breeding new dragons, all I ever ended up with was a bunch more winter dragons! I stopped breeding after about seven or eight winter dragons (didn't seem to matter which two dragons bred either!!) and ditched the land.
Is there anything else in that land worth trying to work for?

Zummat
08-02-14, 07:04 PM
I played the Arctic Isles. It was like a game within the game. I made completing it a personal challenge since I couldn't share it with anyone. I enjoyed completing the goal. It wasn't easy,because the dragons there are greedy and only eat caviar but after releasing Galcius I leveled up all the dragons and completed the expansions. I also still plant food there occasionally.

I'm not going to say it was a waste of time as it was a nice challenge and many times I said okay, not worth the effort because I was always poor, but the feeling of accomplishment after completing it made it worth the effort.

Exactly why I still go there. I don't have them all yet but I have enough of them and I'm slowly evolving the dragons. I have 4 epic and the 5th just needs to be fed a couple more times and will be ready to evolve to epic. I just buy a little bit of food every day. And always keep two dragons breeding. Who knows, maybe one day TL will start giving us more stuff to do there.

jptheripper
08-02-14, 07:10 PM
Exactly why I still go there. I don't have them all yet but I have enough of them and I'm slowly evolving the dragons. I have 4 epic and the 5th just needs to be fed a couple more times and will be ready to evolve to epic. I just buy a little bit of food every day. And always keep two dragons breeding. Who knows, maybe one day TL will start giving us more stuff to do there.

Unfortunately, I got them all, and then got them all to epic. And i dont think i have been back since :(

AJImmer
08-12-14, 12:00 PM
Woo hoo hoo! I have released Glacius the Ancient. Now what do I do to waste time on the Arctic Isles?

cdbabe
08-13-14, 05:12 AM
I do play it until i awaken the ancient dragon and my 20 golds.. You should see how enormous he is and his flying all over the entire area...14866

Zummat
08-13-14, 09:11 PM
Woo hoo hoo! I have released Glacius the Ancient. Now what do I do to waste time on the Arctic Isles?

Congratulations. :) :) I have 4 more dragons that need to be brought to epic. Will take a while since food costs so much. But I'll just keep plugging along.

Zummat
08-13-14, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the picture. :)

AJImmer
08-13-14, 10:13 PM
Congratulations. :) :) I have 4 more dragons that need to be brought to epic. Will take a while since food costs so much. But I'll just keep plugging along.

Thanks. I never was able to breed a diamond / arctic isle hybrid but just plugged away at the commons and rares that I could breed. I took it really slow and just planted crops as I could afford them and usually only when I visited to check on breeding. You'll get there before too long. :D

allenomg
08-15-14, 08:59 AM
i used to try for icecrown but diamond hybrids are annoying :c so after i got snowangel by mistake i stopped going to the artic islands :P

Zummat
08-18-14, 12:15 PM
I finally got Alpine today. Last one of the regular dragons. I'll continue to try for the 3 diamond hybrids since I have an extra Diamond dragon. Don't care about how long it may take.

Only have to get two more dragons to epic to release the big guy. Taking it slow and easy but I'll get there.

cheriesrealm
08-18-14, 09:55 PM
I go to the Artic Isles and play to try to get all the dragons there. I'm just missing Alpine of the regular ones and no diamond hybrids since I don't have a diamond dragon yet. None of them are epic, but I'm not going to feed them any more until I have them all. LOL! They are all level 4-7.

AJImmer
08-18-14, 10:35 PM
I'm still missing ****erwhale plus all of the diamond hybrids. I'm using my extra Mercury to breed all of the time but I'm not expecting the ultra rares to be quick or easy.

clarity625
08-23-14, 09:40 AM
I have 4 dragons on Arctic Isles, 5 is the highest level. These days I seem to only visit there by mistake. I'm level 59 and have plenty to do trying to keep up with world events, tournaments and expanding on the main isles. I only have 6 epic dragons - main colors, life and fruitful so far. It takes me all day to save up 800000 coins to get rid of some Bitter Bark Tree or Moldy Boulder.
Maybe someday, when I have expanded sufficiently and upgraded habitats upgradable by coin and saved up 50 milion coins, I'll go back to the Arctic Isles to finish up. Or not.

Zummat
08-24-14, 05:32 PM

Yay! I finally released Glacius the Ancient. Too bad we can't use him in the arena, LOL! I think it's cool the way he flies around. I'm still going to try to get the diamond hybrids. Doesn't take much time or effort to throw two dragons in the den. I have duplicate Diamond, Gold, Mercury, Black Diamond so I have plenty of diamonds to chose from. Sooner or later I'll get them all. I may be a very old lady by then but I will not give up.

brandonu
08-25-14, 11:54 AM
I didn't really think about using other Diamonds over there. I will use Crusader/Blizzard until the elusive Snowangel is finally mine.