PDA

View Full Version : Super Rare, Rare, Common...what is rarity good for?

MakJulos
06-18-14, 10:38 AM
What is rarity in Dragon Story? It sure isn't indicating if a dragon is more difficult to get when breeding, on my account i get so many Parakeets, Mistmoths, Honeybees, and many more....ofc i get more common dragon fails, but there are rare dragons i try over and over to get, but all i get is plenty of common ones and many of a few super rare types. It can ofc be just coincidences and bad luck, but i really don't think so.

Is my account preset to get certain types of dragons easily, while other are really difficult to breed - no matter what rarity they have? I think so, and i am aware that i'll never get anything but a negative reply to my theory if a reply at all, but it'd be interesting hearing if any other player has the same opinion.

Rarity in battles then - i must say i can't see it matter much there either, i do pick a Super Rare before a Rare when picking my fighter of a certain color and since i don't battle just for fun i really can't show any statistics. But when it comes to my Champions i've noticed that my Rare Bladewing has overall better score than Super Rares Black Knight and Dynasty - this may be coincidence ofc, and i do think they're all equally strong really, so Rarity out the window again.

Am i missing something - has rarity ranks to do something with how the dragons were launched? Are Super Rares more expensive to level up than Rares? I could look this up ofc, but i haven't bothered since i've for a while now had feeling that the rarity ranks we see are just randomly applied really, and i think that'd be seriously misleading.

I haven't mentioned Ultra Rares - these does seem extra rare - difficult to breed and often strong contenders in battle too, so that rarity rank actually makes sense (wheeee). Ok, i bet that there are lucky players that get this type quite easily too, but i guess few are chosen for this - overall though this rarity rank seems accurate.

Anyway, would be interesting hearing folks opinions about this - or even better getting an actual explanation to what Rarity in Dragon Story really means!

stashlova
06-18-14, 10:53 AM
Anyway, would be interesting hearing folks opinions about this - or even better getting an actual explanation to what Rarity in Dragon Story real means!

Curious about this as well. More curious about TL releasing some sort of indicator of what your odds/percentages are to get a Common, Rare, Super Rare or Ultra Rare dragon based on the combo you choose. I know we have breeding calculators and the like but some sort of statistic compilation letting the breeder know which combos are more likely to succeed would be invaluable.

I get mostly commons like everyone else and i choose to use different combos almost all of the time when trying for a new dragon. Can a mod comment on the percentages associated with the aforementioned types of rarity of the dragons if it even exists?

chalupa2030
06-18-14, 11:01 AM
This will be Intersting! Got popcorn?

danni7788
06-18-14, 03:08 PM
In the arena, rarity is supposedly important. However, there is another category of "unbreedable" dragons that I think do even better than super rares in the arena. That could be why all your champion dragons seem to perform the same. Because even if they have the label of rare or super rare, they battle better because they are unbreedable.

In terms of breeding, I think it is a coincidence that you are breeding more super rares than rares. I personally believe the percentages are 70% common, 20% rare, 9% super rare and 1% ultra rare assuming you have a combo in which all four outcomes are possible. This is not a fact, but from my experience I think it is the case. Especially for ultra rare- I bred around 500 times diamond and crusader and got 5 ultra rares- that's roughly 1 in 100. That's just me. Others have better or worse luck, but I think the best way to test is to breed the same 2 dragons hundreds of times and record the results. With a large enough sample size, we should get a good idea of the percentages.

ProjectDragon
06-18-14, 04:33 PM
I don't think it is purely coincidence getting super rares more commonly then certain rare dragons because it has happened to me.

I have literally gotten all dragons within possibles from a pair except the rare dragon I was shooting for...even with back to back super rare fails! One time three super rares in a row and I never got the rare I wanted. Statistically, this should not be possible...but it happened. So the statistics are not as straight forward as you would like to believe.

ProjectDragon
06-18-14, 05:16 PM
I also think some dragons are harder to get for some players, and once you've gotten it it is 'unlocked' for that player. For example, the Titan dragon for me, just a rare dragon. I bred purple/red over, and over, and over. There were only three dragons in the pool: Charm (common), Titan (rare), Planet (super rare). I got nothing but Charms, gave up for a while, started again, finally got Planet (at level 120 something) and more Charm, still no Titan. Gave up for awhile.

Saw it on my Neighbor's islands everywhere! Even players at much lower levels then I! It was making me crazy, lol!!!!

When Cupid came back I started up again at level 134. I got mostly Charm, one Planet, then it happened! I finally got Titan! Then it wouldn't stop, just like that, Titan after Titan fail...never did get Cupid.

So, my point is, if there were straight forward statistics equal for everyone at every level, there is no way after so many breedings I wouldn't have gotten the Titan (rare) earlier, and I certainly wouldn't have gotten several Planets (super rare) first. To add insult to injury, I started to get Titan as a fail when previously I couldn't get it to save my life! Once it was 'unlocked' for me I started getting them as fails.

Now, whenever Titan is in the breeding pool I get it at least once as a fail when previous to level 134 it was nonexistent! In my experience, statistics are not equal for all.

nilni
06-18-14, 05:51 PM
I have the same problem, but I still believe that's all about luck. I tried and got Porcelain for 2 or 3 days. But, I have tried to get Quicksilver for more than 2 weeks. In the period, I got 1 Goodwitch and 3 Blue moon but no Quicksilver so far.:(

chalupa2030
06-18-14, 06:09 PM
even if they have the label of rare or super rare, they battle better because they are unbreedable.

Seriously? I did not know this! Of course I really know nothing about the arena. But this is an interesting statement.

PineapplePigeon
06-18-14, 10:42 PM
I think it's purely coincidental, I mean, I've never gotten a Mindvolt or a Parakeet or a Mindvolt, yet I get millions of Mistmoths and Aethers! It's all luck I guess :(

stashlova
06-19-14, 12:11 AM
There is an algorithm(obviously this wont ever be seen) that determines what each player gets when breeding any two dragons. It limits you to the colors chosen so there should be weights assigned to each dragon in that pool depending on rarity.

Compilation of these statistics would be cumbersome to say least. A way to calculate your odds to get any particular dragon would make DS more satisfying personally

chalupa2030
06-19-14, 04:28 AM
There is an algorithm(obviously this wont ever be seen) that determines what each player gets when breeding any two dragons. It limits you to the colors chosen so there should be weights assigned to each dragon in that pool depending on rarity.

Compilation of these statistics would be cumbersome to say least. A way to calculate your odds to get any particular dragon would make DS more satisfying personally

I like this post! Very informative ~

I like this thread and people's point of view too!

Turpsichore
06-19-14, 09:38 AM

I'm sure I've read a post from TL staff (I think GroupMagma but may be wrong) which stated that rarity and evolution level of dragon parents had no effect on the outcome. When I have more time I'll try to find it.

Obviously, there is no fixed value assigned to "rare" or "super rare" (though I think there should be), otherwise mask would be as easy to breed as athletic. Ultra-rares suffer this inequality, too. I play two accounts, both with diamonds (1 bred at level 12, the other bought after months at 150). Both accounts bred the easy hybrids, crusader & quetzal, within 25 attempts but dawntree took 26 attempts on my main account and 37 on the other.

In an ideal game, all dragons within a rarity category would have an equal chance of being bred but then, I also think the rarity and level of the parent dragons, along with the level of player should be factored into the breeding algorithm.

stashlova
06-19-14, 12:49 PM
Hmmm. Im thinking if its explicitly stated that a dragon has a rarity category then it must mean something - either pertaining to how easy or difficult it is to breed or how many players have one. Otherwise there is no point in declaring rarity

Im sure the mods have seen this thread but none choose to chime in. Maybe they dont know either

MakJulos
06-19-14, 12:59 PM
Hmmm. Im thinking if its explicitly stated that a dragon has a rarity category then it must mean something - either pertaining to how easy or difficult it is to breed or how many players have one. Otherwise there is no point in declaring rarity

Im sure the mods have seen this thread but none choose to chime in. Maybe they dont know either

There may have been some kind of system in the beginning, some kind of plan, but the massproduction of new dragons has messed it up....

I totally agree that a rarity rank should mean something - not just be confusing and cause players to draw possibly wrongful conclusions about the dragons.

kooky panda
06-19-14, 01:54 PM
The rarity of the dragon has to do with your chances of getting that dragon when breeding. Using the same combo over and over you will end up getting more common and rare dragons, than
super and ultra rare dragons.

I'm sure I've read a post from TL staff (I think GroupMagma but may be wrong) which stated that rarity and evolution level of dragon parents had no effect on the outcome.

This is correct

MakJulos
06-19-14, 02:22 PM
The rarity of the dragon has to do with your chances of getting that dragon when breeding. Using the same combo over and over you will end up getting more common and rare dragons, than

This was probably the plan from the start, but on my account i definetly see myself getting certain types more often than other, and Super Rares are not more rare than Rares. Thx for your input, i guess that is the closest thing to an offical explanation we'll get!

dangerb0y
06-19-14, 02:34 PM
Black and pink hybrids are more rare than super rare for sure.

stashlova
06-19-14, 03:43 PM
I guess there arent more details on exactly what each classification means in regards to probabilities.

Thanks for the reply kooky

danni7788
06-19-14, 04:03 PM
There may have been some kind of system in the beginning, some kind of plan, but the massproduction of new dragons has messed it up....

I totally agree that a rarity rank should mean something - not just be confusing and cause players to draw possibly wrongful conclusions about the dragons.

I agree, there must be an algorithm or there used to be one that might have gotten more complex as so many dragons were introduced and elements that split. I still think it is coincidental that some players sometimes get more super rares than rares- statistically with so many players and so many possibilities its not that unrealistic for some people to just have more luck than others. I'm not convinced that there would be different algorithms for different islands is what I guess I'm trying to say.

Turpsichore
06-19-14, 05:18 PM
super and ultra rare dragons.t

That should be the case but it clearly isn't.

***THE FOLLOWING FIGURES ARE FOR THE PURPOSE OF ILLUSTRATION ONLY AND PROBABLY BEAR NO RELATION TO ANYTHING***

There should be fixed values for rarity regardless of colour, i.e. common 55%, rare 30%, super rare 14%, ultra rare 1%.

That would mean if you put night & virtue into the den, you would have twice the chance of breeding a "rare" mask than a "super rare" aether, celestial or mistmoth. Likewise, it should take roughly as many tries to breed unicorn as crusader.

Cyanafoxdragona8
06-19-14, 05:57 PM
Rarity in Dragon Story is meant to indicate if a certain dragon will be harder to get or if your Game's Luck is compatible with the likelihood of getting a certain dragon...in other words, Luck in the game = Rare Dragons...but this only goes so far, as it is shown with other dragons, It maybe easy for you to breed a Parakeet Dragon, but much harder to breed a Gemstone Dragon.

MakJulos
06-19-14, 06:26 PM
I guess there arent more details on exactly what each classification means in regards to probabilities.

Thanks for the reply kooky

That should be the case but it clearly isn't.

***THE FOLLOWING FIGURES ARE FOR THE PURPOSE OF ILLUSTRATION ONLY AND PROBABLY BEAR NO RELATION TO ANYTHING***

There should be fixed values for rarity regardless of colour, i.e. common 55%, rare 30%, super rare 14%, ultra rare 1%.

That would mean if you put night & virtue into the den, you would have twice the chance of breeding a "rare" mask than a "super rare" aether, celestial or mistmoth. Likewise, it should take roughly as many tries to breed unicorn as crusader.

No, it clearly doesn't work this way for so many of us, and if someone says that the random luck factor sometimes overrides preset odds i wouldn't believe this either because it's always the same tendency for me - i started getting Aethers n Parakeets at really low level and i still struggle bad getting certain dragons with same color combos but lower rarity.

But again, perhaps the rarity ranks did work in the beginning but has been made a mess of with all the new dragons implemented....if so they could just remove them ranks if they can't be made to indicate actual rarity more accurate.

nilni
06-19-14, 10:24 PM
I think some rare dragons are more harder to get than super rare dragons is because some rare dragons seem only need two different types, but actually they need more than four types. Like the rare mask, seems only need black and pink, but actually mask need red x white (pink) and blue x purple (black). But, super rare aethers only need purple x blue. I think that's why mask and medusa are so hard to breed.

bexrexbex
06-20-14, 02:20 PM
Statistically, this should not be possible...but it happened. So the statistics are not as straight forward as you would like to believe.

Actually, statistically, this is 100% possible.

jtm101
06-26-14, 06:57 AM
I cant for the life of me get a rainbow on either of my 2 games, both level 100+

I just tried a simple water/air and air/mist and on both accounts i'm breeding super rare socials... And not for the first time either. Argh!

akanksha2001
06-26-14, 08:54 AM
I cant for the life of me get a rainbow on either of my 2 games, both level 100+

I just tried a simple water/air and air/mist and on both accounts i'm breeding super rare socials... And not for the first time either. Argh!

Same here, level 100 and no rainbow... My second account has bred two already on level 40...

kindredfire
06-26-14, 03:13 PM
A few thoughts on this:

1- I find once I have bred a rare/s.rare/u.rare I am more likely to rebreed it. It's getting ONE that's the hard part. But once I do I seem to breed it easier again later.

2- having 4 people in our house hold that ALL habitually dragon we all have vastly diff .... "Platforms" if you will.
I tend to do better breeding rare dragons where one of us can breed limited within first 5 tries. (Me, I have to get lucky via many fails and pure luck). Another one of us can plow through tourneys and yet I battle with the same dragon and can fail.
The four of us seem to have a strength / weakness over the other.
I also have a few friends on here that it seems we run similar to one another. Yet I have other neighbors that despite their loving efforts to help with tips I don't even bother because they fail, no fail for me.

3- I find that tourney (usually champions) or "not found through breeding" draggies serve me well with breeds or battles.
But I have a few commons or simple rares that I would t trade for the world. They either give me awesome fails or kick bum in a tourney.

MakJulos
06-28-14, 02:19 AM
Well, no matter what the rarity is or was intended to be - i think noone would claim it works well and makes sense....but it is a free to play game and one cannot expect too much really, so.... What i find worst is really that issues like this hampers a game that really could be very nice if it worked a lil better. My faith in breeding really is on a low - i just got 11 hour incubation when breeding Marshmallow/Rainbow, this means i'll get Athletic, Kite or Mirage. These are all "rare" so one would think odds are equal to get any of them, but i am certain i will get an Athletic since i have gotten a few of these earlier. It could be a Kite, i have gotten this one twice i think before, but i have zero hope that it'll be a Mirage which i don't have....:p Oh well, it is what it is, maybe i'm wrong...but...i will eat my hat if this is a Mirage!

dangerb0y
06-28-14, 08:26 AM
i will eat my hat if this is a Mirage!

*fingers crossed*

stashlova
06-28-14, 10:53 AM
I dont buy (pun intended) that since the game is free TL is not obligated to give a clearer picture of how rarity factors into breeding. Not saying that these classifications are even needed but since they do exist....

PineapplePigeon
06-28-14, 11:17 AM
No, it clearly doesn't work this way for so many of us, and if someone says that the random luck factor sometimes overrides preset odds i wouldn't believe this either because it's always the same tendency for me - i started getting Aethers n Parakeets at really low level and i still struggle bad getting certain dragons with same color combos but lower rarity.

But again, perhaps the rarity ranks did work in the beginning but has been made a mess of with all the new dragons implemented....if so they could just remove them ranks if they can't be made to indicate actual rarity more accurate.

It is basically just random luck. I tried for months for a Diamond, and just when I stopped trying, 44 hours.
When I was trying for a Familiar, 32 hours, Quetzal.
Trying for Music, 40 hours, Anubis.
My philosophy is, try for it for a little bit, and if you don't get it, be patient, because it will pop up she you least expect it.

MakJulos
06-28-14, 12:00 PM
It is basically just random luck. I tried for months for a Diamond, and just when I stopped trying, 44 hours.
When I was trying for a Familiar, 32 hours, Quetzal.
Trying for Music, 40 hours, Anubis.
My philosophy is, try for it for a little bit, and if you don't get it, be patient, because it will pop up she you least expect it.

Yup, Dragon Story is in the end about luck, so expecting the rarity ranks to actually be a system that makes a difference, something to take seriously in breeding or battling - this is probably quite naive.

MakJulos
06-28-14, 12:49 PM
Well, no matter what the rarity is or was intended to be - i think noone would claim it works well and makes sense....but it is a free to play game and one cannot expect too much really, so.... What i find worst is really that issues like this hampers a game that really could be very nice if it worked a lil better. My faith in breeding really is on a low - i just got 11 hour incubation when breeding Marshmallow/Rainbow, this means i'll get Athletic, Kite or Mirage. These are all "rare" so one would think odds are equal to get any of them, but i am certain i will get an Athletic since i have gotten a few of these earlier. It could be a Kite, i have gotten this one twice i think before, but i have zero hope that it'll be a Mirage which i don't have....:p Oh well, it is what it is, maybe i'm wrong...but...i will eat my hat if this is a Mirage!

I was never worried that i'd have to eat my hat - not just because i would've bought a couple kilograms of marzipan to create an odd cap from, i'm sure that's possible, it's an excellent plan imo - since i was quite certain that i'd get an Athletic dragon, and i did.....

06hunter
06-28-14, 01:03 PM
I been thinking that the more money you spend for gold the better your chances of getting anything better then a rare. The few times I actually bought gold I bred a Diamond and a couple of other Supers. So in my opinion if you want anything better you have to spend money. Teamlava has a great racket going.

MakJulos
06-28-14, 02:07 PM
I been thinking that the more money you spend for gold the better your chances of getting anything better then a rare. The few times I actually bought gold I bred a Diamond and a couple of other Supers. So in my opinion if you want anything better you have to spend money. Teamlava has a great racket going.

I'm not sure it's set up that nasty, i hope not, but if it was it'd be a great incentive to quit playing this free to play game completely imo. Hmm this is straying from the path really, i ctreated the thread because of the odd ill-functioning ( or not) rarity ranks, so any more input about that is welcome - even if i think we've already gotten as much official explanations to it as we can get, a nice moderator saying that for example rares are easier obtaining than super rares...it isn't really that simple ofc, but i doubt we'll get a proper explanation to why rarity really doesn't seem to be the decider of what dragons that we get from breeding.

zelmalena
06-28-14, 03:22 PM
Mmmmm- just read this thread and I must say that I've been trying trying trying trying for a Unicorn since last fall. Have to say that I believe I've the record for most sold Angels ( I quit counting at 23) and once I breed Mercury I then breed four in one week!! Same with Anubis - finally got one then it was a flood!! I've traded 3 and actually have sold 4 or 5. So go figure. But no Unicorn...., but hopefully someday

bluefoxcrystal
06-28-14, 03:35 PM
Mmmmm- just read this thread and I must say that I've been trying trying trying trying for a Unicorn since last fall. Have to say that I believe I've the record for most sold Angels ( I quit counting at 23) and once I breed Mercury I then breed four in one week!! Same with Anubis - finally got one then it was a flood!! I've traded 3 and actually have sold 4 or 5. So go figure. But no Unicorn...., but hopefully someday

I remember reading that it took chalupa (was it...? Hmm...) a year to get theirs. And haha!! I understand very well what you're going through!! Once you get one dragon, it tends to pop up super easy!! XD I've been wondering about rarity for awhile and haven't been following whats rare or rare+. It doesn't seem to work! I also noticed that commons make up around 90-95% of all my total breeds! Happy unicorn hunting!

chalupa2030
06-28-14, 04:51 PM
I remember reading that it took chalupa (was it...? Hmm...) a year to get theirs. !

Yeppers! Now I have two! Just put one to evolve into epic:) and I have the other as a baby on the baby island. It does seem once you get one you sometimes get another soon after!

TinksThots
06-28-14, 04:58 PM
What if the dragon you want only really has one combo? Libra is Leo and Air, and I've been trying for her since last October in probably 75% of my total breeding. All other combos have more fails. How do I increase my chances without using gold? :-(

JeannesThinkin
07-01-14, 01:04 AM
I think that TeamLava didn't rig anything, You are  just lucky, Or unlucky. It took me two weeks to g et the Eagle Dragon, But when I try getting a Rain bow Dragon, I got a Eagle Dragon on the firs t try.