PDA

View Full Version : Don't make that Chocolate Cake! Good vs Bad Products to Make

Unregistered
01-22-11, 10:22 AM
There is a thread similar to this in Restaurant Story, but not one that I can see for Bakery Story, so I thought I'd start one.

I've become interested in figuring out what is the best way to run my bakery. This is not at all easy since there are many factors to consider. (Product x might be the most profitable, but I'm not going to be available to serve and start another batch of it when it is done.) This is also based on how many cooking devices you have available. The science of this is something I found a bit interesting.

One thing I started looking at is figuring out which products you should never make. As an example, once you have gotten all the bonuses associated with the different levels, you should never make Chocolate Cake or Raspberry Macarons [sic].

Why? I've looked at products based on product groupings. Chocolate Cake, Raspberry Macarons, and Fruitcake all take 1 hour to make. Given the units produced, the cost, and the revenue Fruitcake is the obvious choice to make. A batch of fruitcake generates $4 revenue per unit and $2.70 profit per unit. When the units produced are taken into account, fruitcake produces $38.33 in potential revenue per minute vs. $26.67 and $11.67 for the others. The profit per minute for fruitcake is $25.83 vs $18, and $8.50.

I still don't have a model yet to determine what is optimal production, but my conclusions so far are as follows:

1 hour--make fruitcake, not chocolate cake or macarons
4 hours--make vanilla cupcake, not strawberry cake
6 hours--make gingerbread cookies, not fruit tart
12 hours--make cinnamon rolls, not carrot cake
16 hours--make lemon meringue pie, not banana bread
24 hours--make red velvet cake, not chocolate tart, holiday donuts, or sugar cookies

I'm curious if anyone else has looked at this and has any thoughts?

I've started putting together a spreadsheet. It is available for others to look at:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7772924/BakeryStory.xlsx

Unregistered
01-22-11, 11:36 AM
Hi I am not the scientific type, but I made Level 75. (boring here btw) I wish I would gave had your stats months ago. Reallly appreciate the work that you put into this! Wow!

Unregistered
01-22-11, 11:37 AM
As Excellent!

Unregistered
01-22-11, 12:34 PM
I still make chocolate cake and fruitcake just because I like the look of them. For me it's not about the coins or xp, it's about the esthetics.

Unregistered
01-22-11, 01:26 PM
I still make chocolate cake and fruitcake just because I like the look of them. For me it's not about the coins or xp, it's about the esthetics.
I make strawberry cake a lot too, it looks pretty. and Cheesecake.

Unregistered
01-23-11, 01:29 AM
Does the value of each baked item increase with the number of times you bake the item? For example, do cookies sell for more when I'm an apprentice with one chef's hat and continue to increase as I receive more chef hats ratings on the indivual items?

deadpix
01-23-11, 07:48 AM
<--snip-->
I'm curious if anyone else has looked at this and has any thoughts?

I've started putting together a spreadsheet. It is available for others to look at:

I did a small Google Doc Spreadsheet here but it quite quickly overwhelmed me so if you find it interesting and would like to take it over I could copy it to another doc and give you access to it:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Au_oDiMJwNOmdGpRZF9SMWxsSkxzenRDOTFYdGg3c nc&authkey=CJr5okc&hl=en#gid=8

The double-rowed columns on the right called "Servings (Top Row) and Takings per day by number of appliances" is a way to calculate the most profitable item to prepare based on the number of appliances you have.

These columns were generated based on the consumption rate of 50 plates per minute. Note that it does not matter what you have on the counters, the customers will be served from every serving counter evenly, so if you've shifted into a money making rather than a nice-to-look-at making gear, do remember to put items on the counter that sell for higher amounts so that your average earnings go up.

Unregistered
01-23-11, 10:43 AM
I did a small Google Doc Spreadsheet here but it quite quickly overwhelmed me so if you find it interesting and would like to take it over I could copy it to another doc and give you access to it:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Au_oDiMJwNOmdGpRZF9SMWxsSkxzenRDOTFYdGg3c nc&authkey=CJr5okc&hl=en#gid=8

The double-rowed columns on the right called "Servings (Top Row) and Takings per day by number of appliances" is a way to calculate the most profitable item to prepare based on the number of appliances you have.

These columns were generated based on the consumption rate of 50 plates per minute. Note that it does not matter what you have on the counters, the customers will be served from every serving counter evenly, so if you've shifted into a money making rather than a nice-to-look-at making gear, do remember to put items on the counter that sell for higher amounts so that your average earnings go up.

How did you arrive at the 50 plates per minute figure?

deadpix
01-23-11, 11:14 AM
How did you arrive at the 50 plates per minute figure?

Manual counting.

I set a timer for 2 minutes, watched the door and counted the number of happy faces going out (my bakery is at 100 rating). I did this 5 times and found that each time there would be approximately 95 to 105 happy faces leaving the bakery so I estimated that the bakery had served about a 100 plates in 2 minutes which gave me 50 plates in a minute.

Unregistered
01-25-11, 09:16 AM
My conclusions are.. bake what you want. Here I sit with 1,594,797 coins. What to spend it on?
Anything worthwhile?

echo echo echo

There had better be some major updates.. such as WEEKLY updates as promised. I am verrry bored. Maxed out on expansions. Mastered all recipes.

Twiddles thumbs.

Unregistered
01-25-11, 04:06 PM
Why do you, or someone just like you, have to always come back with something negative, BUTTING in to a discussion where people are congenial, trying to learn-especially the newbies?? We know you are bored. We get it. Its not the community's fault. Shut up. Go sip some tea.

Unregistered
01-25-11, 09:43 PM
Super helpful to me and my family. I guess if you think about it, it can all be computed, but we are not statiticians or math geniuses. I appreciate someone who actually enjoys preparing such a table to help others. thanks again!

deadpix
01-27-11, 07:15 AM

Hmmm... I just realized that the link may not take you to the correct tab of the workbook if you open it from an Apple iDevice. If it opens in the "CS Contracts" tab, just follow the link on top of the page that leads to "BS Treats".

greenapple
01-27-11, 11:59 AM
although my level is not as high, i am basically just waiting for new stuff

i do realize some are more $$ then others, but seeing as more then half of the decorations are gem only..i am trying to get max amount of gem by baking.brewing everything so i get the gem at level 3 (though some are not yielding it now?) and then max at 4.

deadpix
01-27-11, 12:07 PM
although my level is not as high, i am basically just waiting for new stuff

i do realize some are more $$ then others, but seeing as more then half of the decorations are gem only..i am trying to get max amount of gem by baking.brewing everything so i get the gem at level 3 (though some are not yielding it now?) and then max at 4.

Actually, you get gems at level 2 mastery.

greenapple
01-27-11, 12:15 PM
i swear it was 3 but i guess i'm wrong..some of them when i finish three and at level four i get a gem???

sigh.

no more free gems for me then~~and i stopped buying them once they stopped updating..i know it doesn't make much difference but doggonit i want new stuff.

Unregistered
02-09-11, 02:57 PM
I like your chart and information, it is helpful. I tend to cook for the esthetics of it too, though, and like the look of chocolate cake and macaroons. I plan to stick around and play a long time, so I'll get there eventually. :-)

Please can someone unconfuse me. I see a lot of posts wanting cappucino only as a gift, supposedly because it brings the greatest profit of the available gifts. But 1 cappucino gift is 50 servings, right? And 1 hot chocolate gift is 150 servings? That would make 1 hot chocolate gift worth $600 ($4 x 150) and 1 cappucino gift worth $500 ($10 X 50). Where am i wrong in my calculations? Thanks

Unregistered
02-10-11, 06:42 AM
That would make 1 hot chocolate gift worth $600 ($4 x 150) and 1 cappucino gift worth $500 ($10 X 50). Where am i wrong in my calculations? Thanks

Aww man, you had me freaking out for the past 5 minutes pulling up spreadsheets and looking at the cooking screen. I started to doubt everything I had calculate about cappuccino gifting and thought maybe they randomly changed the gifting amount from 100 to 150 plates?!

And I checked my gifting menu and it's STILL only 100 plates. So that's where your typo and miscalculation is... 100 plates of hot chocolate x 4 coins per plate = $400.
So cappuccino is still the best at $500 profit!

Unregistered
02-14-11, 07:37 AM
There is a thread similar to this in Restaurant Story, but not one that I can see for Bakery Story, so I thought I'd start one.

Brilliant I have saved it in my documents and use it

Thanks