PDA

View Full Version : Being a useful neighbor in DS?

LavaRain8
05-30-14, 05:32 PM
I'm new to DS, just started it since I got the new prompt offering Gems to play it, only to level 12 so far. However, I'm finding that this game very much limits how "useful" I feel as a neighbor opposed to other Story games. We can only gift 3 gold per day, and I kind of feel a little bad when I get more gold than I can pay back to others. I could gift the other 3 the next day, but if I end up with more than that, I'm having to remember who gifted me gold and give it to them at a later time. It's quite frustrating in that aspect, that I wish that I could gift them something. I can maybe see the limit on gold, since it'll be completely broken to have everyone be able to gift a large amount. I wish we could at least gift coin, if we use up our gold gifts.

It seems that the only aspect of having neighbors is to have them leave plays for you, but it's a lot harder to do in this game since you have a cap on how many habitats that you can have and chances are, your neighbor is maxed by the time you visit them, unless they are level 50+ maybe. I have been sending map requests back, though I have no idea what they even do yet, but haven't seen anything else similar to other games besides that. At the very least, is there not a cap on the maps and gold receiving per day? Is it still 20?

It seems like an OK game overall, I like the scenery/concept enough, but man do I feel like neighbors got downgraded vastly when I'm used to being able to gift everyone per day if I wanted. :(

Is there another benefit to neighbors that I've missed?

Sparkly888
05-30-14, 06:14 PM
Before you give gold for the day there is a list of who gave you gold last. Once you have gifted 3, the list disappears. It's in your Newsfeed.

For me, neighbours are about maps and Sparkles. I still get a kick out of it when my habitats have sparkles.
I have a lot of great neighbours who visit regularly. And I check my islands multiple times a day to collect.

As you progress further in the game you will require more and more maps. I'm at level 91 and I need 64 maps to expand one plot. So it takes me almost a week from start to finish.
Yes you can only get 20 maps a day. Or 20 lotus blossoms. Or a combination of both that adds up to 20.

Oh, and welcome to DS!

droopy123love
05-31-14, 08:09 AM
It is nice to have neighbors that send you a gold once a while, coins are nice too, especialy in the early stages of the game.
You soon come to a point where coins doesnt matter anymore; I have millions of coins, its is nice i dont have to bother about what crops to plant.
As you are furtheron in the game, neighbors are, IMO, important as providers of KWOWLAGE.
Information is, for me, the biggest gift there is in the game!; information on how to battle, how to breed.
I used to share lots of breedingcombinations on my wall, I always reply to others sharing breedingcombos and other knowlage, as I profit from shared information from others, and have profited from tips received from people in the past.

I have posted many times to nbrs, that a "golden tip"/information means much more to me then receiving a goldbar, (but they are always welcome of course :) ).

LavaRain8
05-31-14, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the insight. I suppose I can't be as helpful as I want, unless I check each neighbor's island 20 times a day to get in a play (which probably won't happen), so I'll just have to make sure to at least visit to attempt the plays. And just try to use the news feed to randomly send back gold depending on the timeframe.

This is quite a departure from the other three story games that I normally play (BS, RS & FS), but I like it enough to adjust, for now. :)

Anaboe
05-31-14, 11:17 AM
I'd rather have 3 daily playing neighbors with whom I exchange gold than lots of neighbors. I'm level 150 and tho I'm quite helpful on this forum (and grateful for the help I get), I don't do a lot of visits, and don't read/write walls.

I'm down to 6 pieces to clean out on my Arctic Isle, my normal islands are totally cleared already. So to me the comunity here is very great, but as for neighbors, it's not that neccecary.

Sparkly888
05-31-14, 11:21 AM
One of the things that I really like about DS over BS and RS is that nothing expires. My crops can be ready for harvest indefinitely and they don't spoil. Which is something that is quite uncommon in time management games such as these.
Moldy food is just so depressing.

poisonoushades
05-31-14, 03:24 PM
I have expanded everywhere I possibly can and basically have no use for neighbors anymore besides the daily 3 gold I get. I am on Android, though, so I don't have a battle arena or the arctic island or anything cool like that..so neighbors have become extremely useless to me.

PineapplePigeon
06-09-14, 01:23 PM
I just accept their requests and send gold to my 3 gold buddies. What sucks is that we can't send more than three gold :( I receive about 7 gold per day, so I try and send gold to my 2 friends, and them one extra to someone who sent me gold. I always accept lotus and map requests. On some days, I'll play with their dragons, but I usually don't have time.

LavaRain8
06-09-14, 03:45 PM
I have 60 neighbors at the moment, and I think it can be a bit handy just because you can get more gold than you can send out. I just have a message on my wall saying that I will try to be fair to those who gift me, so at least it's understood that I'm not going to automatically send them gold back. For now, they are still very useful now that I'm expanding. I can just send map requests to all of my 60 neighbors and eventually get back a nice amount of maps stored up after the queue has gone down per day. But yeah...once I can no longer expand, might just need some gold buddies also. ;)

BlueCanary
06-09-14, 03:55 PM
I'm fully expanded, other than the mine expansions, but I don't mind having a lot of neighbours aside from my regular gold buddies. It only takes a couple of seconds to respond to map requests and I don't mind helping out. I don't visit neighbours very often, but don't expect people to visit me either ;)

rwena
06-09-14, 08:02 PM
I love to visit but I find it difficult to visit everyone as I have over 300 neighbours. So I break it up and visit some in the morning some in the evening. Or sometimes I just visit those who have dropped by and sent maps/gold. And I love checking out how my neighbours are progressing, how much luck they've had in breeding etc. I'm just sad I don't get time to leave them all a nice message. Leaving them little sparkles will have to do for now :-)

leonsandcastle
06-10-14, 05:57 PM
Wait, can we really receive more than 3 gold bars per day? I'm level 138 and I've never had more than 3 in a day. I try to keep 3 good daily traders, but even that is not always consistent.

LavaRain8
06-10-14, 06:39 PM
Wait, can we really receive more than 3 gold bars per day? I'm level 138 and I've never had more than 3 in a day. I try to keep 3 good daily traders, but even that is not always consistent.

Yeah, IIRC the receive limit is 20 just like in the other games (20 for gold and 20 for map/item requests), only difference is the 3 gifting out limit. I usually get like 5 or 6 regularly, but maybe a couple of more randomly.

Anaboe
06-11-14, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I usually get about 4-6 gold a day. I have friends that don't play themselves, but almost daily give me gold, besides the neighbours that are playing, and which whom I daily exchance gold. My brother keeps sending me gold, sometimes from 1, sometims from 2 accounts, tho he's hooked now too ;)

AwesomeChefDad
06-11-14, 06:27 PM
Yeah I have to say compared to Bakery and Rest (two others that I play) Dragon is the least "neighbor" friendly of the lot. Limiting 3 gold a day, just doing the meager visits does not even compare to the food you can send and parts you can send to neighbors in the other games.

I find it odd how restrictive the Storm8 is with allowing members to fully enjoy the best parts of the game (especially in this one) without having to pay HUGE sums to do it. The gold paying dragons, the diamond dragons are so outrageously priced that it is almost laughable. Who would want to spend 50 bucks for dragon who gives you 2 gold a day? If they really wanted to make money and get people interested then dangle the carrot a bit more and make the higher goals of the game reachable..and quit making us breed dragons with SO many long long long timed matches which make the experience just so muted.

I like Dragon the most because of the battles and the different aspects of it, but it is the worst as to how the elite aspects of the game are just impossible to obtain.

Anaboe
06-12-14, 02:59 AM
I had spent euro's to buy a Diamond dragon, and bought a Gilded dragon on sale for 300 gold. Figured that both buys would save me money in the end, so I thought of it as an investment. I didn't spent money untill I bought the Diamond (besides the starter-pack of 99 eurocents), but I did enjoy the games for over a year now.

The Gilded gives 5 gold a day, so within 3 months it's starting to make a profit.

With a Diamond you can fairly easily breed a Quetzal and a Crusader, and with those 3 I didn't have to buy that many ultimates in the arena during tournaments, so those too save money in the long run.

Besides that: I realy think Team Lava is going great lenghts too please their customers, they provide great service and games I enjoy for over a year now. So to me, these games are worth whatever you want to spend on it.

curvybust
07-11-14, 09:08 AM
I feel bad when people gift me gold. I already have 3 buddies and have had the same ones for over a year. When I put a request in for more neighbors for maps, I made it clear that I already had gold buddies, but I still get 10-15 gold a day. It sucks because I don't want to keep track of gifting different people every day and I don't want to go to a first come first serve type of thing either. I wish there were other gifts (like food or extra maps) that we could give to people who we can't gift gold to.

amerirish
07-11-14, 10:56 AM
Whoa, wait a second.....are some of you guys saying that there are dragons that produce/give you gold??? I've never heard this before! Could someone please explain / list the dragons that do this? Thanks!

cocauina
07-11-14, 11:08 AM
Whoa, wait a second.....are some of you guys saying that there are dragons that produce/give you gold??? I've never heard this before! Could someone please explain / list the dragons that do this? Thanks!

Goldwing, Treasure, Gilded, Stainglass and Midas are the dragons who give gold, you can only have 1 dragon from each, that means you can have 5 different gold dragons.

The dragons aren't breedable, you need to buy them in the market or in value packs if TL makes values pack with gold dragons.
From this 5 dragons, 2 of them are expired, Stainglass and Midas, they only appears whenever TL decides to put them again in the game for a limited time.

The habitat for them is "Treasure Terrace", only holds 2 dragons and 5 gold, it's the most expensive habtitat, the build time is none.

The cost of each dragon, is:
Goldwing - 1,800 gold
Treasure - 2,000 gold
Gilded - 2,000 gold (bought him for 300 when he was released)
Stainglass and Midas - 800 gold

Every gold dragon give, per day, 1 gold in baby form, 2 in juvenile form, 4 in adult form and 5 in epic form.

There's the most important info, hope it helps :)

amerirish
07-11-14, 11:21 AM
cocauina - thank you so very much; all of that info is hugely important! I hadn't the slightest idea about those dragons. Geeze, I have a new task at hand don't I? lol

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that!

cocauina
07-11-14, 11:50 AM
cocauina - thank you so very much; all of that info is hugely important! I hadn't the slightest idea about those dragons. Geeze, I have a new task at hand don't I? lol

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that!

ahahah it's okay, I like to help, I saw your question without answer and with some quick research about the costs of each dragon I had all the info, 'cause the rest I already knew :p

I don't know if you know that and if you are gonna understand what I will say, but it's a important info too, when you have a gold dragon in the habitat, I advice you to have an exactly hour to collect the gold, collect 24h and a couple minutes later every day or not, that deppends what level is your gold dragon, if you have 1 or 2 dragons in the same habitat and how active are you in the game, for example, when the dragon is between lvl 1 to 3 you can wait 5 days to collect 5 gold instead of collecting every day only 1 gold xD if it's between lvl 4 to 6 you can wait 2 and a half days to collect 5 gold, if it's between lvl 7 to 9 you can wait 1 day and 6 hours to collect 5 gold, and when the dragon is on lvl 10 you only need to wait a whole day, hope I could help again xD

This happens too with all the habitats, but the gold one is more important, in my opinion ahah

amerirish
07-11-14, 12:10 PM
Thanks again! :)

I see what you mean and that is a pretty good strategy. The problem is that I'm kind of obsessive-compulsive about my games so I doubt I would be able to wait to collect, lol. I'm constantly in my games, but either way it's freaking awesome to learn about these dragons. I'm going to have to resist the urge to spend any more gold for a long time and then buy some to get one of them.

cocauina
07-11-14, 12:14 PM
Thanks again! :)

I see what you mean and that is a pretty good strategy. The problem is that I'm kind of obsessive-compulsive about my games so I doubt I would be able to wait to collect, lol. I'm constantly in my games, but either way it's freaking awesome to learn about these dragons. I'm going to have to resist the urge to spend any more gold for a long time and then buy some to get one of them.

AHAHAHAHAHAH I laugh when you said you are, obsessive-compulsive about my games so I doubt I would be able to wait to collect, AHAHAH sorry xD but in the beggining when I hatched my gilded I was kinda like that, I was always collecting the gold when I should wait xD But I didn't know about that stretagy until I found it here in the forum so I decided to use, and yes, it's better and more productive xD

GL to you! :p

freshfunin2008
07-11-14, 12:21 PM
Yeah it is called start saving gold

amerirish
07-11-14, 12:36 PM
When you think about it, it is pretty ironic that I will be saving gold to buy a dragon that will give me gold ;) lol