PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of the forge?

bozotc
04-05-14, 07:17 AM
Just invested (lost) 120000 bucks for the forge. Is this joke? I must be missing something because all I can do is trade for a screw.......if I give up a plank (equal value) and 3 iron. Why on earth would anyone do this? Just go to the store and buy one for 170. I fail to see the point of this structure..and I am supposed to open up a water feature for 75000' when I have no money and half my orders are for items that I can't access.

Please enlighten me, because at this juncture, I don't have any desire to play this game any more

ciarjen
04-05-14, 08:35 AM
It is a feature of Farm Story 2 that the more you progress up the levels, the more you have to spend on buildings and resources and the less you get in return.

My forge is currently situated hiding behind some trees. I don't use it very often. Of course it needs iron. So does the Studio , Toy Maker and Jewelry Maker but the mine only gives out iron like it is the most precious metal.

Silver on the other hand is abundant but there is no use for it unless you can get gold and wood.

Today I have been selling silver to get rid of the stuff while my forge and jewelry maker (which cost lots of coins) sit idle because I have nothing that the silver needs to be crafted with.

There's no logic to this and sometimes I do wonder why I keep playing this game ;)

Annica5
04-05-14, 08:40 AM
Thanx for the warning, I won't be buying the forge any time soon :/

bozotc
04-05-14, 09:30 AM
You're welcome.......they should get rid of it in its present state, it has soured me to this game! Don't think I can continue.

tankerslacers
04-05-14, 12:50 PM
Just invested (lost) 120000 bucks for the forge. Is this joke? I must be missing something because all I can do is trade for a screw.......if I give up a plank (equal value) and 3 iron. Why on earth would anyone do this? Just go to the store and buy one for 170. I fail to see the point of this structure..and I am supposed to open up a water feature for 75000' when I have no money and half my orders are for items that I can't access.

Please enlighten me, because at this juncture, I don't have any desire to play this game any more

I have the forge and it is in constant use making screws and nails to add more slots to buildings. I found I didn't use the forge very much until I reached higher levels. I use the nails and screws to open new slots since my silo and barn are at full capacity (175). I, too, thought at first the forge may have been a waste of money but now I realize it was definitely worth the price.

Edit: Full capacity is 775, not 175...

Wollstonecraft
04-09-14, 04:55 PM
I have the forge and it is in constant use making screws and nails to add more slots to buildings. I found I didn't use the forge very much until I reached higher levels. I use the nails and screws to open new slots since my silo and barn are at full capacity (175). I, too, thought at first the forge may have been a waste of money but now I realize it was definitely worth the price.

So what I am getting from your statement is to wait until you are a higher level before investing in the forge. So what level are you? And at what level do you think the forge is really helpful?

Thanks for the useful information :)

orleansparish
04-09-14, 05:41 PM
Hmmm. I used to use the forge to make shovels for clearing debris or mining. But when I realized I was using much more needed and useful wood, hammers and coal I stopped. Expanding our barn or silo and making jewelry Is just smarter than making anything the forge allows. So yeah, I'd hold off on buying one, unless you want feel you need a huge supply of hammers and have extra wood to spare.

mamareader02
04-09-14, 06:31 PM
I personally love my forge-soon after I had it,I got more shovels and axes,and somehow I always have materials to make stuff and have tools leftover,the forge was the only way I was able to max out my barn! But I also read(and bothered neighbors,lol) on what I needed to make stuff with ahead of time,so I collected boards and hammers like a hoarder(kooky was ready to swoop in when my barn was threatening to burst!),now,my forge never stops,and I actually make so many tools,I'm able to sell them to my neighbors once in awhile!

enaid03
04-09-14, 07:07 PM
My forge sat idle for awhile. Then I needed nails....and kept making them allowing me to expand my silo.

But now, my once large supply of hammers is zero so I am trying to make them around the clock. The water garden has used up my supply of hammers and boards.

It might be a level thing too - I've used it far more now than before.

tankerslacers
04-09-14, 07:13 PM

Sorry if I threw anybody off - full capacity is 775 not 175.

kc4388
04-10-14, 02:06 AM
I bought the forge as soon as it was available, and now alll my iron ore (except for a 'safety stock' for the train) goes into making tools - they are hard to come by on the market and I do not have enough pets (yet!) to count on them to supply me with what I need. The longer I play, the more useful the forge seems to be.

I'm nowhere near the full barn/silo capacity, but I wouldn't be where I am without the forge.

synsanity
04-11-14, 01:11 PM
Until it can make paint cans I consider it worthless and mine collects dust.

esperia77
04-15-14, 03:15 AM
What can be made with the forge?

Wollstonecraft
04-15-14, 04:48 AM
At this point I may never have one since I can't seem to save enough coins to purchase it. At what level do you all think it starts to pay off? Maybe I will start worrying about it when I reach a higher level??

kooky panda
04-15-14, 05:13 AM
What can be made with the forge?
See post 5 on the Game Guide (http://forum.storm8.com/showthread.php?58744-Farm-Story-2-Guide&p=741279&viewfull=1#post741279)

ciarjen
04-15-14, 05:44 AM
At this point I may never have one since I can't seem to save enough coins to purchase it. At what level do you all think it starts to pay off? Maybe I will start worrying about it when I reach a higher level??

If you want a building that pays off, then don't get the forge. In the forge you will be able to make some parts but you will probably use them yourself and not sell them. It's actually cheaper to buy the parts (screws, hammers) than make them in the forge anyway. Usually I don't have any problems finding the parts the forge makes in the newspaper. Shovels and axes are plentiful drops from plane deliveries once you expand to the mine, so there is no point making them yourself. The only part I tend to be short on is nails and I will use the forge to make them occasionally.

If you would like to make your own parts to use up items like hammers, iron and wood, then get the forge. But if you want to make things to sell to pay off your investment, I would suggest saving up for another building.

nicxole
04-15-14, 04:17 PM
I unlocked the mine months ago and haven't bought the forge - and I haven't needed it. Ever since the update that fixed the drop rates were released, its been fine. If there was a way to make paint I might consider it, but if you stalk the shops you can usually find the items you need.

bozotc
04-17-14, 01:46 PM
why doesnt one just buy the nails and screw from the market? the forge is a ripoff...and a total waste of 120000 dollars. Wish this game would buy it back for half the price.

bozotc
04-17-14, 01:50 PM
lets see: 3 iron at 70 and plank at 170 for 1 hammer at 170. who thinks that this is a good deal? The hammers are just as plentiful as wood planks!!!!!!

megajive
04-18-14, 09:48 AM
The best decision I made was to forgo the forge. It's not worth the $120,000 at all, you get plenty of shovels and pick axes and hammers as drops. And Iron are so hard to come by, you would rather use iron for making belts and earrings.