PDA

View Full Version : To buy gems or not to buy gems

ashybooluvswelle
03-21-14, 08:37 PM
So I really want others opinion on gems.Do you buy gems or do you earn them only? I really want to buy things but I don't have enough gems. I never have bought anything from a game but I am so tempted.

shanapiv
03-21-14, 09:01 PM
It's hard to admit, but I've bought gems a couple times now recently....I got some when I got my tax refund, and a couple of good paychecks. Up until a month ago I swore I would never do it. lol. I wait for a gem sale to happen before purchasing. I only spend between $4-15, I couldn't imagine spending more than that on pixels. Haha. I think I'm addicted

ashybooluvswelle
03-21-14, 09:30 PM
Yeah I got my tax return back and right now the one I want is 30% 50 gems for 6.99 and I'm like 0_0 lol I want to buy it gahhhh

shanapiv
03-21-14, 09:46 PM
I would go for it lol. I have no self control

Especially since my debit card is connected to my Google Play account ><

ashybooluvswelle
03-21-14, 10:00 PM
haha I am considering it!I really want the icecream parlor thingy and to open a box.

shanapiv
03-21-14, 10:09 PM
Good luck with the boxes! Watch out for duplicates :( I got a 2nd place prize twice! Ahh!

ashybooluvswelle
03-21-14, 10:25 PM
I never get duplicates.*fingers crossed. watch this time i will I bet.

ashybooluvswelle
03-21-14, 10:26 PM
I opened the sugar fairy box and got some cupcake butler:/ he is kinda cute kinda wierd.

shanapiv
03-21-14, 10:29 PM
I opened the sugar fairy box and got some cupcake butler:/ he is kinda cute kinda wierd.

I got him too! I just opened the spring gift box 3 times and got 3 duds. I think I've learned my lesson (for now).

filochick1982
03-21-14, 10:55 PM
I buy gems but only during a 30% off sale and I only buy the 580 gem pack as it's the best value.

ashybooluvswelle
03-22-14, 10:41 AM
Wow how much is the 580 gem pack?

ashybooluvswelle
03-22-14, 10:42 AM
I got him too! I just opened the spring gift box 3 times and got 3 duds. I think I've learned my lesson (for now).
hahah I always say I am never gonna buy a box again then I do. I love the sugar and tea box I got everything I wanted from that one.

pnkrosebud
03-22-14, 02:24 PM
i wouldn't buy gems because if you do you could some how lose it and there goes your money. It's a waste of money anyway and i have lost gems couple of times. Unless TL decides to put in the " are you sure you want to spend x amount of gems " confirmation i wouldn't bother.

filochick1982
03-22-14, 03:25 PM
Wow how much is the 580 gem pack?

I'm in Australia and it costs $74.99 AUD.

ElaineCarrel
03-22-14, 04:15 PM
I only get gems w iTunes cards which have been given 2 me like at Xmas and my b'day

chewytwix
03-22-14, 06:22 PM
I spent 8 gems accidentally yesterday instantly cooking. I know it's not much, but it still hurt. I wouldn't be so stingy with purchases if I knew I will spend gems the way I intend to.

ashrb
03-23-14, 08:20 PM
I used to purchase gems quite frequently, but I've stopped due to TL being greedy AND about a yr ago I purchased the 275 gem pack plus a 105 gem pack...well I received my 105 gems, but not the 275 so I emailed TL & showed my receipts and they never gave me the rest of my gems even after showing them proof. Plus gem traps. I just don't feel comfortable giving my money to this company anymore, so I stopped.

minidemon88
03-24-14, 03:12 AM
I'll buy gems pack only when I really wanted to get something. Like the one during BF sales. Impossible to resist such sales! :p But I usually wait until there's a 30 or 40% offer on the gems pack before I purchase them. :)

ashybooluvswelle
03-24-14, 11:13 AM
I used to purchase gems quite frequently, but I've stopped due to TL being greedy AND about a yr ago I purchased the 275 gem pack plus a 105 gem pack...well I received my 105 gems, but not the 275 so I emailed TL & showed my receipts and they never gave me the rest of my gems even after showing them proof. Plus gem traps. I just don't feel comfortable giving my money to this company anymore, so I stopped.
Hey I am sorry about that:( I bought some and it took a while for me to get mine I was like OH no the first time I buy em and I don't even get them!Q_Q I had to log into my game a few times first:P

mytsa
03-24-14, 07:59 PM
I did it for the first time when they brought back the old LTO items, couldn't save so many gems at such a short time.

tennysonrobin
03-24-14, 09:54 PM
I know how tempting it can be, and I even thought about it. But, no, you can earn gems, just wait for a couple of months and you will have plenty. Each week we have a gem reward for downloading apps, 5g each, plus new goal each month can give you 12g if you master all 6 recipes. All makes 32g per month, and after 3 months you can have nearly 100g, isn't it great? And free? ;)
It's the way I play the game. It's just game so let's make it as fun as you can. And by "fun" I mean not related to real money XD but it's just me you know, if you want to buy I think you should wait for gem sales when they offer you 40-50% off

filochick1982
03-24-14, 11:20 PM
It's not really ideal if you want to buy boxes though. And you only get 4 goes for 100 gems after waiting 3 months and you could get duplicates.

The most I've seen is 40% off and only during Black Friday sales. Plus only Android users get the gem rewards for downloading apps.

I know how tempting it can be, and I even thought about it. But, no, you can earn gems, just wait for a couple of months and you will have plenty. Each week we have a gem reward for downloading apps, 5g each, plus new goal each month can give you 12g if you master all 6 recipes. All makes 32g per month, and after 3 months you can have nearly 100g, isn't it great? And free? ;)
It's the way I play the game. It's just game so let's make it as fun as you can. And by "fun" I mean not related to real money XD but it's just me you know, if you want to buy I think you should wait for gem sales when they offer you 40-50% off

wladislaw34
03-25-14, 07:05 AM
I have never and will never buy gems for a simpel reason, TL dont treat players fair !

If TL did listen to players and use the feedback we give, then yes i would spend real money for gem

natalienat518
03-25-14, 07:35 AM
I'm only a teenage student, so even when I want to buy gems, I know I am not and won't be allowed to spend real money of my parents to do so. :)

Anyways, can't agree more with what you all said above. Even if I am 10 years older and working at this moment, if TL doesn't fix the gem traps then I'm not going to do anything with it.

zerpiah
03-26-14, 07:50 PM
i think the prices is to high even with 30% sale. Maybe depends where u live, but here in sweden its very expensive for a little pixle you use then store a week later. and a box should be 10 gems or 50 gems for all stuff in it

zerpiah
03-26-14, 07:54 PM

Good the reward for downloading apps works for you. I have download all kid of apps (the ones showing up in right corner of the game) and i never get any gems. I even play other lava games just to get free gems. They work tho.

tennysonrobin
03-28-14, 03:56 AM
Good the reward for downloading apps works for you. I have download all kid of apps (the ones showing up in right corner of the game) and i never get any gems. I even play other lava games just to get free gems. They work tho.

Do you not get gems as reward each week after downloading new version of TL games?
I often get 1-2 gems each app downloaded from the prompt showing in the right corner, but just occasionally.

ElaineCarrel
03-28-14, 05:01 PM
Do you not get gems as reward each week after downloading new version of TL games?
I often get 1-2 gems each app downloaded from the prompt showing in the right corner, but just occasionally.

Those of us who r iOS only get gems when TL gives us a different game 2 download, ie farm story 2, and those r few and far between. However I also know that some androids also get those games 2 download. We've not gotten a new version since 2012 and even then we didn't get gems. We were just told that there was a different version and the advent of iOS 7 they're no longer supported.

So 2 make a long answer short, iOS players do not get gems every week.

filochick1982
04-03-14, 02:43 AM
Is it my imagination or has TL increased the price of their gem packs? I used to get the 580 gem for $74.99 AUD on sale at 30% off and now there's a 30% off sale but the price is now $89.99 AUD? I swear the old price was $109.99 for 580 gems at full price. That's a huge increase of $20 to $129.99. Not cool. Definitely made me think twice about buying another pack. Not this time TL, you're far too greedy now.

tennysonrobin
04-03-14, 05:43 AM
Those of us who r iOS only get gems when TL gives us a different game 2 download, ie farm story 2, and those r few and far between. However I also know that some androids also get those games 2 download. We've not gotten a new version since 2012 and even then we didn't get gems. We were just told that there was a different version and the advent of iOS 7 they're no longer supported.

Oops, sorry, didnt know that. Sometimes I just forget that not everyone plays on android. But I do think IOS people receive gem reward as much as we do 'cause my sister & my friend are on iOS & I always see their plenty of gems on account. They dont buy gems and do buy gem items sometimes. I think they treat us fair enough. Maybe I'm wrong, I have no idea :P

sweetsuccess007
04-03-14, 09:03 AM
I have bought gems several times - probably 300 GBP worth - approx $500. The game gives me so much fun and relaxation, that I believe it is worth it. It has also helped me to advance my levels by expanding my bakery to the max, buying extra oven slots and in turn earning more cash and being able to buy the beautiful things that I want. I remember once I tried to get an item from a box and had to open it about 20 times until I got my beloved Mother's gazebo :). But then I had used the items to create beautiful designs in my bakery. I LOVE THIS GAME. On another note, the creators are doing it for a return and I do appreciate their hard work. Plus, I can afford it ;) for the amount of time I spend on it - it is totally worth it for me to buy gems :).

minidemon88
04-03-14, 10:31 AM
Is it my imagination or has TL increased the price of their gem packs? I used to get the 580 gem for $74.99 AUD on sale at 30% off and now there's a 30% off sale but the price is now $89.99 AUD? I swear the old price was $109.99 for 580 gems at full price. That's a huge increase of $20 to $129.99. Not cool. Definitely made me think twice about buying another pack. Not this time TL, you're far too greedy now.

Really? Now we gotten pay more attention to the gems pack prices.

device2
04-03-14, 02:28 PM
I have bought gems several times - probably 300 GBP worth - approx $500. The game gives me so much fun and relaxation, that I believe it is worth it. ....being able to buy the beautiful things that I want....

The game gives me fun and relaxation too... I've never bought gems :). My bakery is full of beautiful things bought with coins and earned gems. And it's completely free:). (Note: I have two IDs, I'm referring to my other bakery)

WOW ... $500 !!! No bakery I've seen is worth $500. Not even $50 ... lol.

filochick1982
04-03-14, 04:34 PM
There is a limited capacity to earn gems though. So if you want box items, a few free gems isnt going to get you very far.

I happen to think my bakery is beautiful because I have plenty of box items that are really pretty and I think I have a good eye for decorating properly, especially since I have random people commenting that's it's really nice, even if they're not my neighbours.

The game gives me fun and relaxation too... I've never bought gems :). My bakery is full of beautiful things bought with coins and earned gems. And it's completely free:). (Note: I have two IDs, I'm referring to my other bakery)

sweetsuccess007
04-04-14, 03:19 AM

Well, it is worth to ME, the one who paid the money, lol :). I love my bakery and I think this money is very well spent, as therapy costs much more, trust me ;). Plus, everyone has a different perception of the value of money and how long it takes to earn it. I wanted a beautiful bakery quicker than possible for free. I calculated that it would take me A LOT longer to achieve that than earn the $500. So I made the logical choice and I used it to give myself pleasure - the pleasure of owning beautiful items in my bakery.

Hence, I didn't buy the pixels, as some mentioned upthread, but rather I bought some pleasure for myself. Rather like having a massage - you pay $100 for an hour and have nothing to show for it at the end of the session, but a sense of relaxation and satisfaction. Same thing with the game, but cheaper (for me ;)).

filochick1982
04-04-14, 04:21 AM
Completely agree. Everyone has a different perception of how much money is worth and how long it takes to earn it. I don't mind spending money on my guilty pleasures - this game is one of them! My other guilty pleasures are far far far more expensive.

I earn gems by mastering recipes but the free gems are not enough to expand, buy boxes or gem decor on a regular basis and if I couldn't do either of those, this game wouldn't be fun for me. I also worked out the math - how long it would take to fully expand using coins (probably a year) vs how long it would take me to earn the equivalent in $ to buy how many gems I needed to fully expand and it just made no sense to slave away getting enough coins for a year when for 240 gems for the last 3 80 gem expansions, it was the equivalent to a few mins of actual work!

Well, it is worth to ME, the one who paid the money, lol :). I love my bakery and I think this money is very well spent, as therapy costs much more, trust me ;). Plus, everyone has a different perception of the value of money and how long it takes to earn it. I wanted a beautiful bakery quicker than possible for free. I calculated that it would take me A LOT longer to achieve that than earn the $500. So I made the logical choice and I used it to give myself pleasure - the pleasure of owning beautiful items in my bakery.

Hence, I didn't buy the pixels, as some mentioned upthread, but rather I bought some pleasure for myself. Rather like having a massage - you pay $100 for an hour and have nothing to show for it at the end of the session, but a sense of relaxation and satisfaction. Same thing with the game, but cheaper (for me ;)).

dreamspooky
04-04-14, 07:11 AM
I buy gems but only during a 30% off sale and I only buy the 580 gem pack as it's the best value.

This is what I do. I only buy once every month or every other month though, depending on if I've used the gems or not, because it's still a little expensive imo.

But I don't care to work for gems. It's a silly amount of effort compared to the payoff.

PoisonThorne
04-04-14, 11:15 AM
Ok guys, I'm a noob, what exactly is a gem trap??? I have fat fingers and I get tap happy so once in a while I accidentally cook all dishes instantly when I dont want to, but I would not consider that a trap!?!
I got lucky with the one and only box I bought and got my Cake Pops from the Sugar Fairy box! Anyone know what box the swirly cupcake trees come from? I didn't see them in the box list!?
Also, my neighbors are not the best news feed checkers :p so I may have to gem my way thru part of this fairy tale thing. Any idea how often the gems go on sale? I missed the last sale a couple days ago. :(

dreamspooky
04-04-14, 12:10 PM
Ok guys, I'm a noob, what exactly is a gem trap??? I have fat fingers and I get tap happy so once in a while I accidentally cook all dishes instantly when I dont want to, but I would not consider that a trap!?!...

What you described is what most people refer to as a gem trap. It is, evidently, not an intentional trap on the part of TL but they have made no effort to help protect players against it. Basically, any time you spend gems by accident, that's a gem trap.

The one that upsets me the most is buying a box by mistake by hitting one when you are trying for a different box, or are trying to navigate out of the boxes.

I'm not sure where the cupcake trees are from but the Master Box List is not comprehensive as it relies on us to post photos of our prizes. It may also be an old item that is no longer available.

I see gem sales quite often, usually once per week if not more. Personally, I wouldn't gem my way through because you have over a month to complete it and gems are valuable even if you like to buy them.

You can send out as many parts requests as you want, but only 20 will go through per day and the rest will queue up for following days. So it's best to send only 20 requests to people you know will respond. You can add me if you want. I send only parts and accept all parts requests. If I am not busy that day I will also visit and gift the parts you request so you can have 2 of them per day. If I don't have the time, I mass gift the parts that are currently in demand. (goal related when goals come out, general when goals are through).

PoisonThorne
04-04-14, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the tip on the requests, no wonder I get parts really late sometimes haha!
I will also keep in mind what you said about the box list and the pictures. Although really I want the Sugar Fairy items and I think that is a popular one and all the items have photos already!!
I try to visit/gift at the same time. That way if I see someone is building something that is not currently a goal, I can gift them the parts to build it even if they did not send me an "ask"
I guess I can see how you might consider accidental spending a trap. Esp when the game lags now and then. That's what happens to me, I get impatient and keep tapping, just figured it was my fault. Can't even imagine buying the wrong box though, Id probably fling my ipod and need a new one of those too:p
Anyhoo, invite sent thanks!:)

dreamspooky
04-04-14, 04:41 PM
I accepted your request. :)

Yes, the box is the only thing that really annoys me. I so wish they would confirm your purchase of those. I have also accidentally spent gems on buying more coins because when it notifies you that you don't have enough for an item, the only response button says "ok". I've been more careful lately.

I don't know if cooking all your food instantly is an iOS thing. I'm on Android and you can accidentally cook one dish at a time instantly on my device. So if that happens, it's usually 2-3 gems (although it can be more for longer recipes).

But I still buy gems every month or so. The game is fun for me and I don't mind.

minidemon88
04-05-14, 03:49 AM
Just play slowly and don't tap too fast when you're in-game. That way, you won't fall into the gem trap so easily. And you have to be careful whenever there's a new box release. Caused there will always be a pop out after server reset. If you don't pay attention and just mindlessly tap too fast, 24 gems can just fly away without you knowing why. So tap slowly. :)

PoisonThorne
04-05-14, 12:11 PM
Just play slowly and don't tap too fast when you're in-game. That way, you won't fall into the gem trap so easily. And you have to be careful whenever there's a new box release. Caused there will always be a pop out after server reset. If you don't pay attention and just mindlessly tap too fast, 24 gems can just fly away without you knowing why. So tap slowly. :)

Eeeeek, thanks for that warning! Although I probably wouldn't buy a box without seeing something in it first!

Thanks for accepting Dreamspooky, can't wait to see your remodel. Now everyone in this thread should add me for a day so I can see their neat box goodies LOL! Seriously though, I wanted to answer my own question from earlier, I asked someone about their cupcake trees and they were a goal item :( I'm assuming once that goal is over the item is gone for good? Bummer cuz they are so cute!

It's about time for me to open another box. Funny thing is, I kind of dread getting the "really good" items because they are HUGE lol. My bakery is still tiny. Id be tempted to put another 100 gems into expansion just to put out the fun stuff:p

yumyumsnack
04-07-14, 03:54 AM
i wouldn't buy gems because if you do you could some how lose it and there goes your money. It's a waste of money anyway and i have lost gems couple of times. Unless TL decides to put in the " are you sure you want to spend x amount of gems " confirmation i wouldn't bother.

This. I have lost over 200 gems to built in traps. If TL thinks that's a good recipe to get my money, it is mistaken.

ecool54
04-07-14, 04:37 PM
Wait until Gems are on sale, then it's probably worth it!

ozoz12
04-09-14, 06:13 AM
Wait until Gems are on sale, then it's probably worth it!

Not sure anyone notice, if you are planning to buy gem, they have increased almost 20% in price, so when they run discount sell you are still paying their old standard price!

xoxjenn
04-09-14, 04:27 PM
I have bought gems, usually only during sales.
I've probably spent a total of $35 on Bakery Story, but I figure it is worth it for how long I've been playing the game.
Which is about 4 years or so.

I've only fallen in one gem trap.
Probably my own fault for not reading the pop-ups & just tapping, though.
I try to spend my gems right when I get enough for the item I want so it doesn't happen.

filochick1982
04-09-14, 05:11 PM
Yep definitely noticed it.

Not sure anyone notice, if you are planning to buy gem, they have increased almost 20% in price, so when they run discount sell you are still paying their old standard price!

ElaineCarrel
04-10-14, 04:49 PM
They've increased recently? I hadn't noticed since I've been waiting 4 my bday and iTunes cards. Well phooey TL, I may just have 2 find something better, like iBooks or some of my other non TL games.
Thx 4 the heads up.:rolleyes:

bobbyrae
04-12-14, 10:03 AM
dreamspooky
It is, evidently, not an intentional trap on the part of TL but they have made no effort to help protect players against it.

I would venture to say that it is quite intentional and very much a part of the game.

ElaineCarrel

Android players do not have the opportunity to play farm story2 and the mania games and so will not receive gems from completing goals involving the download of these games. Android players do not get gems every week either.

I do not play dragon story, farm story 2, the mania games, castle story, pet shop story, any of the storm 8 or shark party games. I only play restaurant, bakery and farm story. Therefore I have the opportunity now of earning gems every week if I wanted on ios. At one point I had so many pop ups to download games that I almost quit the game...again. Right now I have yet another set of pop ups asking me to each some level or the other in mania games and in dragon story that I keep ignoring. I could get gems for those, too but am not going for them. I suspect that the gem distribution level might be fair.

PoisonThorne
04-17-14, 02:19 PM
I'm a little late posting this but I finally got my silly dresses. Now I am scared to open the box again because I don't really want two of anything except maybe the cake pops! :rolleyes:

shanapiv
04-17-14, 06:21 PM
I'm a little late posting this but I finally got my silly dresses. Now I am scared to open the box again because I don't really want two of anything except maybe the cake pops! :rolleyes:

I now have 3 of those! Argh....lol

PoisonThorne
04-18-14, 02:56 AM
Oh Noes, your Bakery would look more like a clothing store :( You trying for the big one? I think it's adorable but I'd have no way to cram it in my bakery!

sweetsuccess007
04-23-14, 06:48 AM
Congratulations! They are adorable. Made me open this box lots of times until I got THEM ;).

aishax32
04-23-14, 02:12 PM
I was just wondering myself of getting a purchase for gems but i don't know why I think about if it's safe to make the purchase??

ashybooluvswelle
04-23-14, 03:22 PM
OMG I want those so bad!!

linz_says
04-25-14, 12:58 PM
I buy gems every now and then. I look at this type of game as being just the same as other video games. We've had Playstations, Nintendo, and Xboxs in the house, and my sons and husband buy games for them, most of which cost $60. Sometimes more if they get the limited edition versions, plus whatever DLC they add later. I even play those sometimes.
I've spent more hours playing some "phone" games than they have with some of their traditional video games, so I don't feel guilty spending money on it. It's all just entertainment when it comes down to it.

nightshine7
04-30-14, 08:22 AM
I, too, am a constant victim of the gem trap. And, with TL's refusal to do anything about it only tells me they're involved in this scam. If they can make "are you sure to want to..."pop ups they most certainly can with this huge problem. And, what's the reason we have all these "extra points"? Can't do a darn thing with them!!

SinCityBakery
04-30-14, 05:59 PM
I bought gems last year for Black Friday and had a blast! I am mastering all of the recipes to earn more. I freely spend my gems on what I want and I would not hesitate to buy more if there was something that I wanted badly. I play daily and enjoy the game. I pay for the the enjoyment the game offers.

SinCityBakery
04-30-14, 06:00 PM
I, too, am a constant victim of the gem trap. And, with TL's refusal to do anything about it only tells me they're involved in this scam. If they can make "are you sure to want to..."pop ups they most certainly can with this huge problem. And, what's the reason we have all these "extra points"? Can't do a darn thing with them!!

Use the back button with the pop ups so that you don't lose your hard earned gems

filochick1982
04-30-14, 07:07 PM
I've just mastered all recipes (yay!) so have no more opportunities to earn free gems.

luincristiel
05-01-14, 04:57 AM
I've just mastered all recipes (yay!) so have no more opportunities to earn free gems.

Congrats! :)

Personally I'm not buying any gems (I think I've mastered less than 30 recipes so far) but may consider this later... if we have a gem purchase confirmation pop-up.

filochick1982
05-01-14, 05:17 AM
Congrats! :)

Personally I'm not buying any gems (I think I've mastered less than 30 recipes so far) but may consider this later... if we have a gem purchase confirmation pop-up.

There is a gem purchase confirmation pop up already.

bobbyrae
05-01-14, 05:34 AM
There is a gem purchase confirmation pop up already.

I suspect she means a confirmation for items that cost gems (boxes, extra slots etc).

luincristiel
05-01-14, 06:47 AM
I suspect she means a confirmation for items that cost gems (boxes, extra slots etc).

Yup that's what I meant.
Sorry for the bad English :(

LalaSmooth
05-01-14, 03:19 PM
Sometimes buy them

PanicPuppy
05-02-14, 07:35 AM
Anyone know what box the swirly cupcake trees come from? I didn't see them in the box list!? :(

I believe the cupcake trees to which you are referring are part of the Sweet Co goal. I'm not sure at what level that goal pops up, but I recall it being at a fairly low level. And, as a bonus (if I'm remembering correctly,) the final goal prize is that cute Cocoa Waterslide. The best part is that there's no time limit on completing that goal. You can do it at your leisure. : )

gabbysmom87
05-02-14, 08:46 PM
I buy gems. If this is my guilty pleasure so be it!

zaaracake
05-02-14, 09:39 PM
I buy gems too, but not very often...my biggest gem spends are on Boxing Day...duuuuuuuh...I always buy when the sales come up...

twospoons
05-05-14, 04:35 AM
i've mostly stopped (i reserve the mostly for black friday). it's the boxes that always made me purchase the gems (there is a reason i avoid casinos. it would not be pretty.) but i'm kind of over them now. it's the same old story of the 4th place prizes being not worthy enough, since goodness knows that's the prize i'd get.

jhehlah
05-07-14, 04:59 PM
i actually no control too especially if seen cute stull that i want to...but i am glad the device i am using doesn't support that buying gems...whew! so i am safe lol