PDA

View Full Version : Kingdoms with identical names?

Cesar49
03-12-14, 07:10 AM
On visiting a neighbour today I was surprised to see a message on their wall, listed under my kingdom name but which I had definitely not written. When I visited the kingdom who had left the message I found a completely different kingdom with an identical name, but whilst I am level 50 the new kingdom is only a level 6. My kingdom name has always been cesarville, and I'm not happy simply because I don't want other kingdoms (who might be my neighbours) thinking I have left messages when I haven't. I appreciate that the other kingdom holder will have a different User name, but surely there should be a difference in kingdom names too? :(

NorthWoodsKingdom
03-12-14, 07:14 AM
I agree with you ... I now have 2 neighbors with the kingdom name Narnia ...one a level 21 and one a level 35... It gets confusing, to say the least.

dragoniakingdom
03-12-14, 07:43 AM
It is indeed confusing. I have so far come across 3 identical named kingdoms to my own.

The worse aspect was having an upset player posting on my wall that I had deleted her....she was a neighbour to one of the other same named Kingdoms.

Perhaps TL could implement a "that name is already taken,please chose a different one" to new Accounts.

Cesar49
03-12-14, 07:58 AM
Perhaps TL could implement a "that name is already taken,please chose a different one" to new Accounts.

I agree - it seems strange that such a restriction doesn't already exist, it's common enough. I realise there are many kingdoms, but even if all you had to do was add a number after the name it would help.

eepopp
03-12-14, 11:25 AM
It is indeed confusing. I have so far come across 3 identical named kingdoms to my own.

The worse aspect was having an upset player posting on my wall that I had deleted her....she was a neighbour to one of the other same named Kingdoms.

I actually appreciate that TeamLava allows duplicate kingdom names.

In my opinion, it decreases the barrier to entry for new customers and increases many players' ties to the game.

For example:
If I started out playing any game, then was given an option to customize my avatar's/character's/kingdom's name, and then was given implied negative messaging (like "no, you can't have that"), then I might not progress further into the game.

A name barrier creates problems for some people who wish to continue using "handles" that they've used in other games or identities on forums.
A name barrier creates problems for people who want to express their love for fantasy (or other fictitious) works. I've seen many kingdom names referencing Tolkien, Game of Thrones, Twilight, etc. I think it's great that players can put any name out there (at least names that don't offend or violate any EULA, or code of conduct), and if they see a related/similar/same name on the Random Community Kingdom tab, maybe they'll click/visit and make a new friend/neighbor. I see this as a feature that creates community, and benefits everyone.

I also feel that if my kids want to name their Kingdoms, "Rachael's Realm" or "Kyle's Kingdom", then they should definitely be able to do that. It makes their kingdoms their own. (Note: those aren't my kids' real names, lol)

The identical Kingdom Names also allows TeamLava to not have to worry about name purging inactive Kingdoms. So if you really wanted the Kingdom name of "Legolas", you can just do it without having to wait for some arbitrary inactive character wipe that some other online games have (I'm referencing MMO's).

I recognize that there are some downsides to having identical Kingdom names, but I believe that the naming freedom that TeamLava/Castle Story allows creates more upsides that outweighs those concerns.

Just my opinion..., and full disclosure, I've run across another kingdom with my kingdom's name (Smurfland) and I think it's awesome that I've found another player of like mind/interests.

orleansparish
03-12-14, 02:01 PM
It's silly and selfish to insist someone else not share the same name. The reasons why you may like someone may hold true for the other player. If it's not dear to you and you just want to be unique, the answer is very easy really, pay the 10 gems and change yours. Voila!

I did this on another game because my original name was seemingly on the mind of at least a billion other players. Instead of throwing an invisible hissy fit or insisting they not be my neighbor or TL make up new rules, I just paid the gems and changed mines. Now it's unique and I can focus on the main part of the game....playing.

ghjvcucjb
03-12-14, 02:14 PM
There are several kingdoms with the same name as mine and one of them happens to be neighbors with a ton of the same people as me. Because we're both on friendly talkative terms with the same neighbors its sometimes confusing for some of our mutual neighbors. Just a couple of weeks ago, several people got confused about how I was having medical problems while also at a dance where a waiter spilled a drink on my dress! Lol. Thank goodness I misspelled my kingdom name so at least there's one letter to set us a part.

I don't think anyone is having a hissy fit, just expressing an observation/opinion/problem. It's kind of strange getting reprimanded for something you didn't do like deleting someone. Or in my case, one neighbor actually question my honesty in whether I was truly Ill when I was posting about a party on someone else's wall. Although most of my neighbors teased me about the whole thing which was fun and brought about a lot of jokes and laughs.

doobievilla
03-12-14, 02:55 PM
The narnia and NARNIA i have as nbr look diff to me

doobievilla
03-12-14, 03:02 PM
This goes back to most MMO / MMO - Building Games. People want the names they relate with. For example in Everquest if you were a halfling everyone wanted Frodo or tried to create some derivation.. Frowdoe... Afrodo .. i was Frowdoe till GM made me change it.. it does cause confusion i agree but its def not a problem. unless someone is dropping f and p bombs

NorthWoodsKingdom
03-12-14, 03:12 PM
The narnia and NARNIA i have as nbr look diff to me

LOL, then you have two ADDITIONAL narnias cuz both of mine spell it the same ...Narnia.

Cesar49
03-12-14, 04:14 PM
I don't think I'm being silly or selfish in wishing to retain my own kingdom name, which I've had for nearly 2 years now, but not much liking it when someone else uses the same name. It's not a name based on anything like stories, films or themes but is highly personal to me. It's a question of individuality. As a former teacher I've often had a number of children in my class with the same name, and found that even children as young as 5 appreciated choosing a name that related solely to them in class, whether it meant using Kate, Katie and Kath or using surname initials after their first name - JackD and JackT, for example. The post that first made me realise there was another kingdom with the same name was one which I personally disliked, and feel that the neighbours with which I chat regularly might also have disliked. A simple initial or number after the name (and it really was identical in spelling and punctuation) would have differentiated our two kingdoms without altering the nature of the name, and helped avoid any confusion which might now arise.

eepopp
03-12-14, 04:36 PM
I don't think I'm being silly or selfish in wishing to retain my own kingdom name, which I've had for nearly 2 years now, but not much liking it when someone else uses the same name. It's not a name based on anything like stories, films or themes but is highly personal to me. It's a question of individuality. As a former teacher I've often had a number of children in my class with the same name, and found that even children as young as 5 appreciated choosing a name that related solely to them in class, whether it meant using Kate, Katie and Kath or using surname initials after their first name - JackD and JackT, for example. The post that first made me realise there was another kingdom with the same name was one which I personally disliked, and feel that the neighbours with which I chat regularly might also have disliked. A simple initial or number after the name (and it really was identical in spelling and punctuation) would have differentiated our two kingdoms without altering the nature of the name, and helped avoid any confusion which might now arise.

I don't think you are being silly or selfish at all.

I do feel that players have options of distinguishing themselves from identical names by:

1) using spaces before their names
2) using emoji (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4976)

You could employ either strategy to maintain the exact spelling of your Kingdom name, while also differentiating yourself from those kingdoms.

oliverrr11
03-12-14, 04:43 PM
cesarville you say? Hmmmmm. Has a nice ring to it. I want that name for my kingdom too! 10 gems is it? Lol! Just kidding :cool:

CottageRose
03-12-14, 07:08 PM
I appreciate having the name I want on my kingdom. After all it is my kingdom If there are 10 others or a hundred, I don't care. I don't want to be Lark's Nest 317. Having a number in the name would completely destroy its charm.

I don't see any point for rudeness between neighbors, and frankly, would unfriend someone for unpleasant behavior in my kingdom. It's my sanctuary, where I go to escape real life problems and worries. I don't go into other peoples' castles and insult them. I hope for the same courtesy in return.

I have lots of Sherwoods, Camelots, etc. as neighbors. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have a truly lovely group of regular CS visitors, and it's never been a problem.

Gardienn
03-12-14, 07:18 PM
Decrease barrier entry? That's total hooey. Everyone already has the common mentality to choose unique account names and if our first (or tenth) preference is taken, add numbers or try again. We had to do it to choose a Storm8 ID, we should have had to do it when choosing kingdom names too. I thought mine was unique when I chose it, and wanted it to be.

This is about clarity and reputation. Funny how those things are always at the expense of someone else's personal gain, like easy access or getting what you want.

Established kingdoms should not be purposely or inadvertently defamed by the actions of kingdoms with the same names, and definitely should not be the ones forced to spend high-commodity gems to change theirs when a squatter imposes.

I call for TeamLava to implement name restrictions right away and make all kingdom names unique. First ones with an originating name get to keep it, all others get a number added according to order of arrival.

cesarville you say? Hmmmmm. Has a nice ring to it. I want that name for my kingdom too! 10 gems is it? Lol! Just kidding :cool:

Oliver, you weanie. :p

oliverrr11
03-12-14, 07:48 PM
Goldonis Saveir you say? Hmmmmm.........

ghjvcucjb
03-12-14, 08:07 PM
Oliver, you weanie. :p

That should be Oliverrr11, you weenie.:p;) (tee hee)

nairi7
03-12-14, 08:15 PM
What if, when writing on walls and whatnot the storm8 ID was included?

IE my name would show up as nairi7's niapolis rather that just niapolis. Then you'd have soandso's Camelot randomdude's Camelot etc etc on your page it would say your name in the community the extended name

Then there could be 6 million Camelots and no confusion

oliverrr11
03-12-14, 09:35 PM
That should be Oliverrr11, you weenie.:p;) (tee hee)

No, no, no! You are both wrong! It's a small o.

Castloninian
03-12-14, 11:55 PM
It is confusing. Obviously if you then visit the neighbour and they are on a different level you can see they're different, but if they happen to be on the same level how do you tell? I can't remember kingdom layouts of everyone, and people change them regularly too.

I don't think I am at risk of a doppelganger (wibblewobbk was only a joke and then misspelled at that) but it would be handy not to have so many Kingdoms with the same name. I actually 'unfriended' a Camelot because I had a close neighbour who is Camelot and I was getting confused when gifting.

Castloninian
03-12-14, 11:57 PM
By the way, I was very surprised at language used in this thread. Selfish, hissy fit... I found that rude and uncalled for. Call me naive but I thought this forum was more friendly and mature than that.

Cesar49
03-13-14, 01:43 AM
I do feel that players have options of distinguishing themselves from identical names by:

1) using spaces before their names
2) using emoji (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4976)

You could employ either strategy to maintain the exact spelling of your Kingdom name, while also differentiating yourself from those kingdoms.

Yes, but surely the point is that I had the name first? I don't know that for certain, of course, but as the other kingdom is at level 6 it's a pretty safe bet. As Gardienn says, it is the new player who should have been asked to add a number, space, emoji or whatever to make their kingdom name distinct from one that already existed - when they chose their name.

ninjalejones
03-13-14, 02:56 AM
Including levels and number of RP's with the username on wallposts could be a solution. Someone using the same name as me wouldn't necessarily bother me but being confused with someone who's mouthing off all over the place, definitely would, lol

tintedshadow
03-13-14, 06:16 AM
I've never found anyone with the same kingdom name as me but as I'm one of the Narnias already mentioned there are apparently at least 3 others! I don't really mind sharing the name, actually I'd probably ask to be neighbours if I came across one of the others. I've come across a couple of Bella's Kingdoms though and it does get confusing, having the level next to the name would definitely help.

Gardienn
03-13-14, 06:24 AM
Including levels and number of RP's with the username on wallposts could be a solution. Someone using the same name as me wouldn't necessarily bother me but being confused with someone who's mouthing off all over the place, definitely would, lol

I think it's far easier for TL to restrict kingdom names so none duplicate than it is to add in all that extra stuff where there is already no space. It would also help if they would add a neighbor feature so we could great a custom fave neighbor list, with a star next to those names as faves wherever they show up in our game.

gdmcrjunkie
03-13-14, 07:27 AM
Any confusion can be explained away. People should be able to name their kingdoms/bakeries/islands etc whatever they want, which won't be possible if duplicates aren't allowed. I've seen many kingdoms with cool names abandoned at around level 6. Wouldn't it be unfair if they had a name someone who intends to stick around wants?

Queenzod
03-13-14, 07:32 AM
I don't know if this helps, but when I'm gifting someone with the same name, I visit their kingdom first and then gift from their kingdom using the gift tab next to their wall icon. That way I'm sure whom I'm gifting. It doesn't take very long, since we can only gift 3 a day anyway.

eepopp
03-13-14, 08:06 AM
Any confusion can be explained away. People should be able to name their kingdoms/bakeries/islands etc whatever they want, which won't be possible if duplicates aren't allowed. I've seen many kingdoms with cool names abandoned at around level 6. Wouldn't it be unfair if they had a name someone who intends to stick around wants?

This, and a thousand times this.

If TeamLava implemented any sort of name camping or name reservation system, where would it end?

If a player had a favorite name (used in other TeamLava/Storm8 games), another person took that name in Castle Story, stuck around to Level 50, and then became one of the biggest tools / griefers / jerks? Would players then want names reserved to their Storm8 ID account for ALL Storm8/TeamLava games?

I think the current system, while not perfect, is far more preferable to a restricted name (1st come 1st served naming) system.

If TeamLava decided to change their in-game name policy in a new future game to a name restriction policy, then I think that would be an interesting exercise..., but the current naming functionality in Castle Story should remain the same. The genie is already out of the bottle, and the train has already left the station. Since we already have this naming freedom in Castle Story, it would be a horrible decision to change it in the future.

jptheripper
03-13-14, 08:17 AM
The is no way TL should block names just because someone else has it.

Narnia is a bad example, it is a copyrighted term. In theory, it should be blocked already for all players. I don't think we want to go down that path

Gardienn
03-13-14, 08:20 AM
If TeamLava implemented any sort of name camping or name reservation system, where would it end?

If a player had a favorite name (used in other TeamLava/Storm8 games), another person took that name in Castle Story, stuck around to Level 50, and then became one of the biggest tools / griefers / jerks? Would players then want names reserved to their Storm8 ID account for ALL Storm8/TeamLava games?

No no no. That's not what anyone is saying at all. Name restrictions should be limited to single games only, not across Storm IDs, which would be a foolish move. What we're saying is unique names per game, this way, if someone used WhatAStupidName in Dragon Story, someone else could use WhatAStupidName in Castle Story, but there would be only one of each in each game.

Gardienn
03-13-14, 08:33 AM

Life is not fair, but if you want to argue fairness, is it fair that someone who had a kingdom name first should be getting upset neighbors because another neighbor with the same name posted questionable content on a fellow neighbor's wall? Fairness will always trump itself, which is why it has such weak legs to stand on. Justness, however, prioritizes the larger problem that needs correction, so the just choice here it so make kingdom names unique.

Why should we be able to name them whatever we want anyway? So we can have our own way at the cost of confusion and misunderstanding for others? No. I do not agree at all. So a kingdom name is taken--get creative and think of a better one, or change the spelling slightly. We deal with this stuff all the time when creating accounts for **** or Amazon or any other reputable online membership. That's not a big deal, but this selfish "we should be able to have whatever we want" is a feeble argument and childish at best in the face of a greater need.

eepopp
03-13-14, 08:58 AM
...That's not a big deal, but this selfish "we should be able to have whatever we want" is a feeble argument and childish at best in the face of a greater need.

What's the greater need? I don't see any huge needs here.

belbar22
03-13-14, 09:45 AM
I am firmly in the so what if there are duplicate names in the game camp. I was thrilled to find someone who had the same name as me and we had a bit of banter about it. After all, great minds think alike. I have several neighbours with the same name and it has just never been a problem.

brandonu
03-13-14, 09:51 AM
It really only becomes an issue if one of those neighbors is a gifting partner.

On Dragon Story I think I have 5 neighbors whose islands are an iteration of Dragon Island and I'm sure there are hundreds more out there.

Gardienn
03-13-14, 09:59 AM
What's the greater need? I don't see any huge needs here.

This is the problem with the huge need for resolution:

There are several kingdoms with the same name as mine and one of them happens to be neighbors with a ton of the same people as me. Because we're both on friendly talkative terms with the same neighbors its sometimes confusing for some of our mutual neighbors. Just a couple of weeks ago, several people got confused about how I was having medical problems while also at a dance where a waiter spilled a drink on my dress! Lol. Thank goodness I misspelled my kingdom name so at least there's one letter to set us a part.

I don't think anyone is having a hissy fit, just expressing an observation/opinion/problem. It's kind of strange getting reprimanded for something you didn't do like deleting someone. Or in my case, one neighbor actually question my honesty in whether I was truly Ill when I was posting about a party on someone else's wall. Although most of my neighbors teased me about the whole thing which was fun and brought about a lot of jokes and laughs.

The post that first made me realise there was another kingdom with the same name was one which I personally disliked, and feel that the neighbours with which I chat regularly might also have disliked. A simple initial or number after the name (and it really was identical in spelling and punctuation) would have differentiated our two kingdoms without altering the nature of the name, and helped avoid any confusion which might now arise.

eepopp
03-13-14, 10:11 AM
This is the problem with the huge need for resolution:

I don't see any of those as "huge" needs. Inconveniences, yes. Huge problems that are detrimental to the game? No.

They are all manageable issues.

gdmcrjunkie
03-13-14, 10:41 AM
Life is not fair, but if you want to argue fairness, is it fair that someone who had a kingdom name first should be getting upset neighbors because another neighbor with the same name posted questionable content on a fellow neighbor's wall? Fairness will always trump itself, which is why it has such weak legs to stand on. Justness, however, prioritizes the larger problem that needs correction, so the just choice here it so make kingdom names unique.

Why should we be able to name them whatever we want anyway? So we can have our own way at the cost of confusion and misunderstanding for others? No. I do not agree at all. So a kingdom name is taken--get creative and think of a better one, or change the spelling slightly. We deal with this stuff all the time when creating accounts for **** or Amazon or any other reputable online membership. That's not a big deal, but this selfish "we should be able to have whatever we want" is a feeble argument and childish at best in the face of a greater need.

An unpleasant situation that can be resolved with a "That's not me, that's someone else with the same name." Any reasonable person would apologise and move on. I'm not saying we should be able to have whatever we want, but we should be able to keep what we already have. With that situation dealt with, the rest of your argument sounds like "I got it first so it should be mine," which seems more selfish if you ask me... (Are you sure you got the name first? Level is no indicative of when someone first started their game.)

Well, I doubt we'll be able to convince each other. I'd also be very surprised if TL implemented your suggestion. And if they do, I won't be all that upset since I've already got a name I like. Now that's selfish :D

Gardienn
03-13-14, 11:22 AM
Self correction: I wrote "This is the problem with the huge need." I should have written huger, as in, a bigger issue than getting to pick whatever names we want. which was the response I was addressing. No, it isn't a huge issue in itself, I agree, but it is problematic.

It would have been better if TL had implemented unique names from the start, but since they didn't, it would at least be better if they implemented unique names from here going forward.

CottageRose
03-13-14, 06:18 PM
I respect your right to your opinion and I'm sorry someone was unpleasant to you, but I still disagree that unique kingdom names should be strictly enforced. Our kingdom names are not legal identities, nor are they eligible for trademarks. People will be people, and misunderstandings and hurtful behavior will happen.

Occasionally people post quotes, comments or one-liners on my wall that I think are in poor taste or offensive. I delete the post and move on. If it happens multiple times, I remove them from my neighborhood. Should I start advocating for wall posts to be restricted to 20 characters or less, or even emoji only? Nope. We have too many rules, limits and restrictions already.

jimboser
03-14-14, 06:48 AM
This is an issue that has come up in my own life on more than one occasion. I used to live on Main Street, and one day I got lost coming home from work, took the wrong exit and ended up in unfamiliar surroundings, when I spotted my street sign, Main Street. Imagine my horror when I got to my address, and instead of finding my home, there was an appliance store instead? What's worse, all of my neighbors homes had also been replaced with stores! It was a total nightmare!

So, I decided to start over, and moved to the neighboring city of Springfield. Great town, lots to do, but sometimes you just need to get away, so I took a road trip to see what sights I could see. A day or so into my trip, I'm driving along and find that I've apparently been driving in circles, I've come across the exit for Springfield! I pull off to get my bearings, but discover that the ENTIRE TOWN had been changed! It was freaking Main Street all over again!

The horror... The horror...

It's OK now though. I've got a nice padded room. Hee hee. I don't get to leave. I have a nice jacket wrapped tightly around me so I don't hurt myself. Men in white coats come to visit. Nice men. Hee hee. Nice men...

Gardienn
03-14-14, 08:03 AM
This is an issue that has come up in my own life on more than one occasion. I used to live on Main Street, and one day I got lost coming home from work, took the wrong exit and ended up in unfamiliar surroundings, when I spotted my street sign, Main Street. Imagine my horror when I got to my address, and instead of finding my home, there was an appliance store instead? What's worse, all of my neighbors homes had also been replaced with stores! It was a total nightmare!

So, I decided to start over, and moved to the neighboring city of Springfield. Great town, lots to do, but sometimes you just need to get away, so I took a road trip to see what sights I could see. A day or so into my trip, I'm driving along and find that I've apparently been driving in circles, I've come across the exit for Springfield! I pull off to get my bearings, but discover that the ENTIRE TOWN had been changed! It was freaking Main Street all over again!

The horror... The horror...

It's OK now though. I've got a nice padded room. Hee hee. I don't get to leave. I have a nice jacket wrapped tightly around me so I don't hurt myself. Men in white coats come to visit. Nice men. Hee hee. Nice men...

Mighty funny there, Mr. Boser. ;)