PDA

View Full Version : How to decide what dragons to go for (feeling overwhelmed)

mamamacfashion
02-16-14, 12:23 PM
Im at level 58, I stopped playing for a bit (don't think that matters but maybe) and I just don't know what dragon types I should be going for. Like obviously I need certain types to go for other types, so how do I know which ones. I know I can find online how to get specific dragons I want, but just confused with some kind of an order. If there was some kind of schedule or something like that. I don't have any metals, or really any other special ones. I don't have diamond either. I have virtue and white and black. And all the other basics of course. I'm just feelin like I don't know where to go from here:confused: there are just so many dragons I dont have.
Would love to hear any tips, pointers, suggestions, advice, comments, feedback ;) lol

Hope this is an ok thread to start too. Thanks :)

stashlova
02-16-14, 12:49 PM
You should definitely focus on the dragons marked as limited or have returned for a brief hiatus. The reason being TL will bring them back randomly or during holiday seasons so you may have to wait a year or so to get certain ones.

All other dragons are here for the foreseeable future so no real rush in getting them. Id check to see dragon forms in their evolved stages to determine which ones I want on my island.

mamamacfashion
02-16-14, 01:12 PM
You should definitely focus on the dragons marked as limited or have returned for a brief hiatus. The reason being TL will bring them back randomly or during holiday seasons so you may have to wait a year or so to get certain ones.

All other dragons are here for the foreseeable future so no real rush in getting them. Id check to see dragon forms in their evolved stages to determine which ones I want on my island.

Ya I try and focus on the limited timed ones, I guess I just like things in an order haha, but maybe there isn't an order here. Is it just whichever ones you want kinda thing?

mamamacfashion
02-16-14, 01:18 PM
I'm guess I'm kinda feeling like I'm behind, is there like goals as to how many dragons you should have? That's why I'm feeling overwhelmed because there are so many dragons I don't have. I feel I should have them. Is that not what the game is about?
Do they just keep releasing more so we have more to choose from, or should I have all that are available? Lol Sorry I guess I'm more of a routine person :)

yayacupcake
02-16-14, 01:19 PM
Pretty sure all the Christmas limited dragons are gone. Next up should be the New Years Dragon, after that focus on Valentine's Day ones... not sure if Jewelry dragon is, that'd be first though. Then Valentine Dragon then... ewww... Bride Dragon. Then from there whatever you want, until they announce something else going limited, then that ;) They'll pretty much always have you chasing limited dragons unless you get lucky and get ahead.

Right now I've been working on the New Years Dragon myself, started with Dark Angel & Trickster (missing lots of Diamond Hybrids and Night Elf here), then switched to Peacock & Bat, been working on this one for about a month, lots of 14 hour fails and a couple 9 hour bat fails...

yayacupcake
02-16-14, 01:24 PM
I'm guess I'm kinda feeling like I'm behind, is there like goals as to how many dragons you should have? That's why I'm feeling overwhelmed because there are so many dragons I don't have. I feel I should have them. Is that not what the game is about?
Do they just keep releasing more so we have more to choose from, or should I have all that are available? Lol Sorry I guess I'm more of a routine person :)

Unless you buy gold or have crazy amounts of luck you won't keep up. About 3 dragons seem to be released weekly. You can probably keep up with limited dragons if that is all you focus on, but in the meantime you'll miss the 12+ dragons released that come in between the limited ones. I got most of the Halloween / Christmas dragons but I haven't even touched the metal dragons, they released a few new zodiacs dragons, and added a bunch to Mythic and Fairy Tales... definitely too much, too fast. And I'm just Android, iOS got tournaments, battle to win dragons and a couple Valentine's Day summoning dragons.

Sparkly888
02-16-14, 01:31 PM
Well it's your island. You get to choose.
I have seen one island that had all luck dragons on White habitats. It was very cool!
You can specialize if you like.
Are there some habitats that are more appealing to you?
Dragons that look better to you than others?
Visit lots of other islands. Get some ideas.
Have fun with it. There is no finish line.

yayacupcake
02-16-14, 01:37 PM
Well it's your island. You get to choose.
I have seen one island that had all luck dragons on White habitats. It was very cool!
You can specialize if you like.
Are there some habitats that are more appealing to you?
Dragons that look better to you than others?
Have fun with it. There is no finish line.

Might just be they had bad luck going for something they actually wanted and kept getting luck dragons, but didn't want to get rid of them b/c they could trade them or whatever... I kept getting Tusker fails going for a simple Virtue Dragon, tried for 3 months and ended up keeping 15 tuskers....

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/Andvarix/dragon_story-2013-07-01-10-18-51.png

ciarjen
02-16-14, 03:14 PM
Im at level 58, I stopped playing for a bit (don't think that matters but maybe) and I just don't know what dragon types I should be going for. Like obviously I need certain types to go for other types, so how do I know which ones. I know I can find online how to get specific dragons I want, but just confused with some kind of an order. If there was some kind of schedule or something like that. I don't have any metals, or really any other special ones. I don't have diamond either. I have virtue and white and black. And all the other basics of course. I'm just feelin like I don't know where to go from here:confused: there are just so many dragons I dont have.
Would love to hear any tips, pointers, suggestions, advice, comments, feedback ;) lol

Have a look in the market under the featured section. It lists the current limited time dragons (leftheart, rightheart, passion) and the Valentine ones (bride, Valentine, Jewelry). You'll usually find current threads on these featured dragons, particularly the ones which are going limited because people want to breed them before they expire.

Even if you are not able to breed them you may end up with fails you like and want to keep.

If you are taking part in tournaments you may also want to breed dragons which will help in battles.

Google the wiki dragon story breeding calculator which can help you decide which dragons to breed to get what you want. .

jim23cash
02-16-14, 03:25 PM
One good strategy is to pick parents that have a lot of "fails" that are actually Dragons you want.
For example: Black and Pink both break down easily, so trying for Mask could get a lot of different fails.

mamamacfashion
02-16-14, 10:00 PM
Ok guys, thanks a lot :) that helps. I know about the limited ones, I have 2 islands, and sure enough on my 2nd island I've already got jewelry, left heart, and right heart but only just got right heart on my 1st. Lol funny how that works.
I guess when they release limited dragons, they are reachable for most players and levels eh?

It's more the regular dragons I'm feeling behind with and overwhelmed, not the limited ones :).

So there is no amount of dragons you should have by certain levels, and I can just go for whichever, whenever. But diamond is pretty important to have right?

mamamacfashion
02-16-14, 10:03 PM
Unless you buy gold or have crazy amounts of luck you won't keep up. About 3 dragons seem to be released weekly. You can probably keep up with limited dragons if that is all you focus on, but in the meantime you'll miss the 12+ dragons released that come in between the limited ones. I got most of the Halloween / Christmas dragons but I haven't even touched the metal dragons, they released a few new zodiacs dragons, and added a bunch to Mythic and Fairy Tales... definitely too much, too fast. And I'm just Android, iOS got tournaments, battle to win dragons and a couple Valentine's Day summoning dragons.

Ya I was android, just switched and wow is it different, now my 2nd island is on an android. Just finished the summoning, pretty neat. You should consider switching over ;)

Anyuszko
02-17-14, 01:36 AM
Hi all,

last day I was thinking why I should run, spend money or worry about I miss certain dragons when I do not have the space to put them.

In my album I see that I have 180 type of dragons and still 28 missing. However, I have maxed on habitats, and I only have very few spaces left. (I have one space in a zodiac habitat, one in a champion, one in a rainbow and one in passion - but I can put only certain dragons here. Also I have one space in a pink, one in a yellow and one in a white habitat.)

With other words, I have space for 3 regular dragons and 4 special type. I cannot have more space, I sold all my diamond habs and putting hybrids in other hab, like dark angel in a black habitat; I only had 2 diamond hab for diamond and infinity dragon which I cant put everywhere else. Also sold my second stone and dino hab, and was putting dino and stone dragons permanently in dragon stable.

I do not have duplicate dragons, or if yes I am ready to sell if space needed (like i have now 2 rainbow dragons but one ready for selling if a double rainbow pops up).

I refuse to spend 500 gold for habitat upgrade, I think that about 18 euro for one more dragon space is nosense (18 eurocent would be okay maybe).

So, now I reached nearly the point when I think there is no point to run for, no need for speeding, getting gold. Thats what those too many dragon releases ended with, at least for me.

What do you think?

chalupa2030
02-17-14, 02:56 AM
ended up keeping 15 tuskers....

They are in no habitats! Just running around unsupervised!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/Andvarix/dragon_story-2013-07-01-10-18-51.png

chewytwix
02-17-14, 04:59 AM
I thought the same thing yesterday! What's the point of breeding or trying to get any new dragons for that matter if I don't have anywhere to place them? I'm in a similar situation except I have 20 fewer dragons than you (but I have a few spaces available in special habitats for dragons I can't seem to get). Besides filling these special types, what else is the point now?

Sparkly888
02-18-14, 04:30 AM
On my first account last year I got frustrated with trying to build specialty habitats for dragons that didn't even pay well while I couldn't even afford to clear land because I had way too many Life's, Fruitfuls and other dragons that didn't pay well either.

So this time on my new iPad I started with some strategy.
If I were a true dragon Rancher, Caretaker, Farmer, what breeding methods would I use to ensure good profit and steady progress?

I'm level 36.
I breed only first cross; that is Fire with Light. Fire with Air, Forest with Light, etc. the only 3 color dragon I have is my Scarecrow which was a goal reward for having 10 unique dragons.
I'm breeding first cross because I am liking the pay rates of those particular offspring.
NOT breeding Water and Magic--don't want any black dragons.
NOT breeding Fire and Forest because I don't care for the pay rates on those offspring. No Life! No Fruitful! Blech!! :-)

The only egg I actually sold off the nest because I didn't want it was a Virtue which happily coincided with the last Summoning so at least I got lots of nice hearts for him. I promptly stopped breeding Fire with Air at that time too.
I might go back to Fire and Air later because the other offspring do pay nice.
I choose not to go for all the latest designer hybrids. I know, some people like to collect them, it just doesn't fit in with MY strategy.

I did get the White Rose from the summoning because she pays nice. And she's just two colors too.
So I may never get the diamonds or the zodiacs or the specialty dragons unless I choose to change my strategy. And I will only do so if it's fun for me.

I'm saying all this, not so anyone will adopt my strategy, just to point out that you can choose. There is no finish line and no competition. We are playing this game to have fun.

buttabdullah99
02-18-14, 07:19 AM
My focus is only on limited and new dragons in my list I need to breed left and right heart, passion , Jewellry, good witch , new year and valentines I am only able to get left and right heart Jewellry and valentines 3 still left working on them

sapphirecross
02-18-14, 12:10 PM
I only try for ones I like or ones I need for arena, and I keep some duplicates if I have space.

Mostly I go by color - if I have a lot of something like red-yellow, I don't try for new stuff that comes out with those colors like the Chinese New Year ones. I don't dislike them, just don't need them for arena and since there is limited time to try for stuff before it is removed, I know I'm unlikely to ever get to them. I have almost no black or pink hybrids, so I try for stuff I can use those - like right now I have black and headless together, for new year dragon. I get mostly mist, but I did finally get royal, which I wanted. I try for combos that give me at least 3 dragons I don't have, but try to avoid using blue+green (island fails) or red+blue (magic fails). I really want the tropic ones but have been avoiding trying cuz magic fails are awful. If it cost less gold I would just buy it, but I won't spend over 300 gold on one dragon. After NY expires, I'll do pink-white-green trying for valentine, bride, stone, flower. Once I get a couple, I change combo.

I rarely get all the dragons I try for, but this way I eventually get one or two I want, unless they get removed first.

chic4stylin
02-19-14, 01:29 AM
Depends on how you want to play the game...how competitive you are. I'm fairly competitive, but I play this game mainly for me. Meaning, I choose the dragons that I think are pretty, cool looking, beautiful, etc., and I go for them. For some reason, I don't seem to care if my neighbors have all the dragons, decorations or not...I'm actually playing this game for me. If I like/love/want a specific dragon, then I go for it. I don't keep track of goals accomplished, as I've got a fairly long list of unaccomplished 'goals', or number of dragons obtained in terms of my neighbors. It DOES frustrate the **** out of me when I only get failure after failure when trying for a new dragon I really want...it frustrates me to see the same people getting these dragons within hours of their release, but I still play the game for me! Here's what I did, I went to Wikia Dragon Story, went down the entire list of available dragons, decided which ones I wanted, wrote down many possible combos for each, and that's what I'm going to try for. So my final advice is: play the game for yourself! You'll be much happier that way! Decide which dragons you like the best and go for them...don't try to keep up every Tom, **** and Harry. You don't ever know how they (your neighbors, other players) got all the things they've gotten...did they pay real world money for them, are they iOS instead of Android, did they work for them, were they just lucky, etc.! Just play YOUR game for YOU!!

PS: I can't believe it starred out the word in the middle of Tom and Harry!! For goodness sakes, it's a real-world, given name to many people!!! lol