PDA

View Full Version : Fixed (Mis)translations

h72g
01-03-14, 06:15 AM
I have the german translation and I just want to note that although most texts are translated quite good, there are a lot of mistranslations when it comes to the objects you have to find. This makes it often very hard or impossible to find objects without using hints.
Also it is confusing that signs like "danger - messy room ahead" are in english in the picture, but you have to search for "bitte aufr?umen" (which means: "please clean up"). I would love an option to select the language...

kooky panda
01-03-14, 06:23 AM
I will pass this over to the community managers.
Can you list some of the other texts that you are having issues with?

h72g
01-03-14, 08:46 AM
There is in almost all scenes a "Portemonnaie" which should be "Handtasche"

In Eileens room there is a "Rucksack" which looks more like a "Koffer"

In the animal shelter is a "Wasserkrug" which is not a "Krug" but more like a "Wasserkanister"
and I remember that the picture on the table was called something totally wrong.

There is the "out of order" sign in the subway that's correctly translated to "Au?er Betrieb" - but confusing anyway :)

There was more, but I can't remember and did not take screen shots - I would have to play those scenes again (might do this after I finished the 3rd case)

kooky panda
01-07-14, 11:24 AM
H72G, these should now been fixed! ( You may need to restart your device or close out your game )

If you see anymore, please let me know.

Thanks!

Mademoiselle_M
06-27-14, 04:29 PM
Do you never wonder why the german version has so few players?!
There was NO case until now that didn't have at least(!) one translation error.
There are many germans that do not speak english so fluently so that they could quickly re-translate it into english to find out what you might have meant before the time is up.
Really, who translates this for you? Google translate?!

I am playing Case 8 now, from the previous cases i remember one thing in particular:
A baseball bat was translated with "Fledermaus" which is a bat, but of the flying animal kind. As with all the other mistranslations, the double meanings only work in english, in german those words have nothing in common so it s impossible to figure out what it means.

In case 8 and in the WM special case, i found the following mistakes:

A tear in a seat cushion is translated as "Traene", which means Teardrop.
"Stollen" are the cleats on the soccer shoes, not the shoes themselves: A "Stollen" alone is either a mining tunnel or a christmas fruitcake.
A dog leash is translated with "Peitsche", what means a whip
Instead of the english "duffle bag" you choose to write "Duffle coat" as german translation: indeed we use this word too and need no translation for it, but like you, we wouldn't look for a bag when it says coat......?
For a cloud of smoke you choose the german word for cigarette (Zigarette),.....
And my favorite because it is practically unsolvable, you translated "Flippers", the swimming aid with "Pfannenwender": spatula or pancake turner.

To top it off, finishing a case always ends with a mayor mistake:
"Case closed" ist translated with "Fall verschlossen" which translates to "Case locked" and that doesnt really mean anything in german either.:confused:

So, no, i don't think we should be reporting those to you: if its 1-2 wrong translations per scene, you should clearly work with another translator.

maguar
06-27-14, 04:45 PM
I've passed on the feedback regarding the German translations

PikaSquirrel
06-30-14, 05:56 PM
We're looking into these, thank you!

Mademoiselle_M
07-12-14, 02:44 PM
I found some more,.......

PikaSquirrel
07-14-14, 10:54 AM
Are these also in Case 8? We're still looking into these translations in several different languages. Please let us know which words in which language you see issues with, thanks!

PikaSquirrel
09-03-14, 10:46 AM
These should now be fixed! Please let us know if you see any other translation issues in the game. Thank you for your patience! :)